EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-24, 11:36 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
As much as I love living in Cali, and I wouldn't live anywhere else, it's a completely mismanaged state. Other than it's great universities, I kept my kids out of the horrible public schools here and spent a fortune on private schools. Have you been to Oakland or SF lately? Police in SJ where I live won't even come out to take theft reports. And what happened to that surplus we had a few years back? Let's not get into the homeless problem.....

Back to EV's. Just saw my first ever Semi near Tesla Fremont. Camera was in my pocket so couldn't get to it in time to take a pic. Looks awesome in person!
My kids went to those horrible public schools. Our eldest ended up with a PhD in molecular medicine from a world top 10 university, did post doctorate research at a world top 10 university and is now researching genome-level cancer therapies. The schools here are terrible! And also my last post on this topic.
Old 07-15-24, 12:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
My kids went to those horrible public schools. Our eldest ended up with a PhD in molecular medicine from a world top 10 university, did post doctorate research at a world top 10 university and is now researching genome-level cancer therapies. The schools here are terrible! And also my last post on this topic.
You happen to live in one of the wealthy areas where you are lucky to have good schools. Those good schools don't exist in places like East SJ, Oakland ect. BTW, congrats to your children, hopefully your eldest finds a cure to cancer before I get it 🤣

On to another topic....it's now been 4 years since I leased our first EV (2020 Hyundai Ioniq EV), and it's been two years since we've almost jumped into full EV ownership. With a Polestar, Hyundai Ioniq 5, and a Model Y, I'm now heading into veteran territory. How has it been? Well, the first couple of years was a little rough. The 2020 Ioniq EV only had a range of 150 miles, so it was mostly a commuter for my wife to and from work, as well as travel around the Bay Area. I learned a lot about EV's from that car, that they are smooth, quiet and extremely efficient. Adding the Polestar gave me more range, the performance I was looking for, and again efficiency. The first year I also used it to travel, but found that I had to do some planning due to less than adequate charging infrastructure (non Tesla).

The Model Y pretty much changed everything for me. I treat it exactly like a regular car, and have used it extensively to travel due to its robust charging infrastructure both on travel corridors as well as in SoCal.

For me personally, the move to EV's has been highly rewarding. We charge them at home, and when we travel long distances (200 miles or more) we use the Y. They need very little maint, and are extremely quiet and efficient. They give me the performance I want when I need it, with practically no penalty. Because of my ability to charge them at home and Fast charge them on the road when needed, I have no desire personally to ever go back to a gas car, at least for our daily drivers.

For those that are skeptical of EV's, I can only ask that you at least test drive one. I have no desire to push my love of EV's on anyone as it's a personal choice, but at least try it before you hate it

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 07-15-24 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-15-24, 03:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

congrats to you are your kids. happy you live the american dream in a hugely affluent bubble. california also has 1/3 of all the homeless folks in our great nation. source despite all the problems though, california is still an innovation economy, with vast venture capital making just about anything possible.

including tesla, the massive success story which fueled [sic] this forum.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (07-15-24)
Old 07-15-24, 03:08 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Well, at risk of getting off topic, some of the reasons we might just have more homeless people are because other states send homeless people here, when homeless people arrive here we tend to take better care of them than most, and our big cities generally don't get life-threateningly cold in winter taking at least one of the difficult issues homeless people have to address largely off the table. If I were to ever find myself in that unfortunate situation I'd probably want to be here too.
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
bowser (07-15-24), JeffKeryk (07-15-24)
Old 07-15-24, 03:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Well, at risk of getting off topic, some of the reasons we might just have more homeless people are because other states send homeless people here, when homeless people arrive here we tend to take better care of them than most, and our big cities generally don't get life-threateningly cold in winter taking at least one of the difficult issues homeless people have to address largely off the table. If I were to ever find myself in that unfortunate situation I'd probably want to be here too.
If I was ever God forbid homeless, I'd head straight for Venice Beach
Old 07-15-24, 03:41 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

Knock off the homelessness and state debate

Acceptable: I pay x taxes in y state and it sucks
Unacceptable: I don't like that my non auto taxes go towards z
Old 07-16-24, 05:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

good article on ideas to stop people hogging public chargers. won't work at places like airports though.

https://www.axios.com/2024/07/15/ele...tations-limits
AMIRZA786 (07-16-24)
Old 07-16-24, 05:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

I think that makes sense.

As for airports there’s a difference between chargers when vehicles are parked for a purpose and a high speed charger where people are expected to come in only to charge and then leave. Only solution for parking lots with bonus charging and airports is more chargers. Dulles airport here has chargers in like 50% of their spaces and they don’t specify specific spaces for EVs and non EVs. People just park where they want and the cords for all the chargers are really long.
AMIRZA786 (07-16-24)
Old 07-16-24, 05:37 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think that makes sense.

As for airports there’s a difference between chargers when vehicles are parked for a purpose and a high speed charger where people are expected to come in only to charge and then leave. Only solution for parking lots with bonus charging and airports is more chargers. Dulles airport here has chargers in like 50% of their spaces and they don’t specify specific spaces for EVs and non EVs. People just park where they want and the cords for all the chargers are really long.
For airports specifically, I expect we'll eventually reach a state where some of the spots in the expensive short-term parking are marked EV only and have DCFC. Then the majority of the remaining spots in most/all of the lots could just have a really basic level 1 or 2 charger. If you're going to be parked there for a week anyway, it doesn't matter how long it takes to charge.
Old 07-16-24, 06:59 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

i can see level 1/2 charging in many of the spots at airports in the future so there will be no issue.

and good idea geko for high speed dcfc in short term.
Old 07-16-24, 07:35 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 163 Posts

Old 07-16-24, 09:18 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 663 Likes on 496 Posts

Wow! Costco has all we need to live off grid for cheap.

AMIRZA786 (07-16-24)
Old 07-16-24, 09:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 303 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Wow! Costco has all we need to live off grid for cheap.
The description is very poorly worded. What that actually means is that the bundle comes with a J1772 adapter:

So you can use a Level 2 EV charger to juice up the Delta Pro in about an hour and 40 minutes:

Old 07-16-24, 10:43 AM
swajames
Pole Position

The opportunity at airports (or other long term parking) is effectively valet-type parking where you drop off, let the vendor manage everything behind the scenes while you are away, and then have the car returned to you with your requested level of charge.
AMIRZA786 (07-16-24)
Old 07-16-24, 11:11 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Love the license plate 😄

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation