EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-24, 08:58 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 262 Likes on 190 Posts

I've been driving my Plaid a lot more than I expected. 2800 miles in almost 3 months. That acceleration is addictive. I set my trip meter when I got it. 2800 miles using 782 kWh. Avg. Energy is 279 Wh/mi. Looks like almost 3.6 miles per kWh..
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (07-28-24)
Old 07-28-24, 09:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Doesn't surprise me at all after all your doom and gloom. EV driving is incredible, if it could serve my travel needs I wouldn't even consider another ICE car. This S580 is without a doubt my last ICE car.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
Mike728 (07-28-24), swajames (07-28-24)
Old 07-28-24, 09:22 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 294 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
I've been driving my Plaid a lot more than I expected. 2800 miles in almost 3 months. That acceleration is addictive. I set my trip meter when I got it. 2800 miles using 782 kWh. Avg. Energy is 279 Wh/mi. Looks like almost 3.6 miles per kWh..
You’ve had it for a while now so how about a little review of your likes/dislikes etc. about the car, brand, EV, etc.
AMIRZA786 (07-28-24)
Old 07-28-24, 09:25 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

Bob, I'm genuinely happy you're enjoying your Plaid. It's one of the all-time great EVs, and it still holds its own against the competition. Happy EV motoring.

The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (07-28-24), Bob04 (07-28-24)
Old 07-28-24, 10:21 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Another hopefully, satisfied customer My Y has been amazing on the current trip I'm on, we've been driving all over the place, I've only had to charge once. Way better experience than taking my Sienna
Old 07-28-24, 01:03 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Listen, I'm gonna need these EV Uber drivers to STOP using 1 pedal driving. throwing me all over the got damn car! Turn that crap off if you can't modulate your foot. And of course none of them know how to turn it off. Angers me so much.

And get out of the left lane with your slow driving, indirectly brake checking every damn car behind you. Arghh!

Last edited by GFerg; 07-28-24 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-28-24, 03:39 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 262 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
You’ve had it for a while now so how about a little review of your likes/dislikes etc. about the car, brand, EV, etc.
Sure. It's about what I expected, considering my own driving habits combined with what I learned following owners like yourself and others over the last 2 years. I had test driven a couple and done a lot of research, so I had some idea of what I was getting into.

The Likes:
It's fast. Really fast. That was why I purchased it. I just wanted fast, and it delivers.
Ride is decent with the 19s. Still not great, even in comfort mode, but still unbelievable for a car this fast. My old 430 has spoiled me.
The looks are growing on me. I still don't think it's beautiful, but I like the way it looks more than I expected.
I like the white interior and the minimalist design. Really clean and modern. That's kind of our personal style anyway at home, so it was a good fit.
Sound system is fantastic. Love the radio stations what come with the connectivity subscription.
The app is well done and very useful. I appreciate getting a cool car when I leave work. Transferring the car to me with the app was very easy.
Autopilot works well. Better than expected.
I like the dual screens much more than the single center screen in other models.
I like the yoke and even like the turn signal buttons. Yoke really allows the screen to be seen more easily.
Like the gimmicks ok, like light show and video games, but I could take them or leave them.

The Dislikes:
Hate hate hate the horn button. Might upgrade to the new yoke for that reason along.
Not a fan of the glass roof. Bought a roof sunscreen to minimize the sun and heat. Will probably remove it in the winter, but for summer, it's hot.
Charging in annoying. SoC is something you have to manage where I live since infrastructure hasn't been built out. Ruled out driving it for a couple of longer trips because I didn't want to deal with driving out of my way to hit superchargers. I haven't done a level 2 at home because I can charge at work, but I'm only in the office part time, so I have to keep it plugged in with the slower mobile charger at home. Luckily, one of the few superchargers in my area is less than 10 miles away, so I have that as backup if need. But I'd much rather have the convenience of a million gas stations that I could fill up in 5 minutes just about anywhere, anytime. Rain makes charging at work a pain. SC in the summer is almost subtropical, with storms rolling thru almost every afternoon. Dealing with charging in the rain is a pain. Overall, charging is doable, but annoying for me at this time.
TPMS failure that I need to get to resolved, but it won't let me schedule the local service center here in Columbia SC. Forcing me to go to Charlotte. Not convenient to drive and hour and half for service. Hopefully, once I schedule it, they will offer a mobile fix.
Outside the modern design, my wife hates it. Said it's not a good passenger experience. But she too is spoiled by the 430. Expectation might be a little too high. Nothing new with her. She'll get over it.

What Surprised Me:
It's docile and fairly comfortable if you want it to be. I didn't test drive in chill mode, and it really smooths things out if you are willing to turn it into a 1000hp Camry. Moreso than I expected. Not good enough for my wife, but good enough for me at the driver.
Cargo area is much bigger than I expected. I haven't looked at the actual measurements, but it feels almost as big as my son's RX. Really efficient for the design. Lots of storage everywhere.
The amount of attention it attracts. Not that many Plaids or even Model Ss in this area, so it's fairly common to come out of a store and having someone checking it out and wanting to discuss it. Numerous picture takers and window peepers on Sentry mode. Fortunately, nothing really negative. Been coal rolled a couple of times, but the air filter takes care of that. Hopefully that will change as more are seen in this area. It doesn't really bother me, but I'm in my 50s now, so people in general are starting to get on my nerves more, so I could do without it.
FSD is very good. Way better than I expected. $49 a month and I'm in. Maybe even at $69. Not at $99. Not exactly sure why I feel that way, because I spend $99 on crap that I really don't need fairly frequently. Just doesn't feel like it's worth it, especially when I enjoy driving the car myself.
Black paint. I went black, and then I went back. Now I'm back in black, something I swore I would never do again, but I like the way this car looks when it's all shined up. The black with white interior is very stormtrooper, and I like the contrast.
Battery end of life. I really don't think about it as much as I thought I would. Maybe because I have accepted it and accounted for it financially. It's in the back of my head, but the fun factor definitely makes it a distance thought.

I'm sure I forgot a few things, but that's about it for now. I'm interested to see how the service experience goes. I'll post how it goes afterwards. Not expecting much. Hopefully they surprise me.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bob04:
AMIRZA786 (07-28-24), bitkahuna (07-28-24), swajames (07-28-24)
Old 07-28-24, 04:34 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 695 Likes on 436 Posts

One thing I've found is that Level 2 charging at home makes a significant difference to the overall EV experience, even if it's just running off a 240v/30 amp dryer outlet (so you'd have to limit charging to 24 amp). Even if you have superchargers nearby, you don't have to worry about charging so much with level 2 at home. Of course level 2 at home on a circuit with a 50 or 60 amp breaker is better still, but other than solar, Level 2 is the probably the best thing you can do for your EV.
Old 07-28-24, 04:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Just get the level 2 charger at home and all your charging concerns will be over
Old 07-28-24, 05:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

I haven't done a level 2 at home because I can charge at work, but I'm only in the office part time, so I have to keep it plugged in with the slower mobile charger at home.
biggest no brainer ever to get one installed. do it. thank us later.
i was going to get a charger installed in my offie building but still haven't bothered.

Outside the modern design, my wife hates it. Said it's not a good passenger experience. But she too is spoiled by the 430. Expectation might be a little too high. Nothing new with her. She'll get over it.
LOL, maybe it's not good for her because of the way you drive.

thanks for the write up!!
AMIRZA786 (07-28-24)
Old 07-28-24, 06:03 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts

Been coal rolled a couple of times, but the air filter takes care of that. Hopefully that will change as more are seen in this area. It doesn't really bother me, but I'm in my 50s now, so people in general are starting to get on my nerves more, so I could do without it.
What are the penalties for doing this over there? Pretty ridiculous that people still find this to be a "thing".
Old 07-28-24, 06:56 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,170 Likes on 1,688 Posts

Sure. It's about what I expected, considering my own driving habits combined with what I learned following owners like yourself and others over the last 2 years. I had test driven a couple and done a lot of research, so I had some idea of what I was getting into.

The Likes:
It's fast. Really fast. That was why I purchased it. I just wanted fast, and it delivers.
Ride is decent with the 19s. Still not great, even in comfort mode, but still unbelievable for a car this fast. My old 430 has spoiled me.
The looks are growing on me. I still don't think it's beautiful, but I like the way it looks more than I expected.
I like the white interior and the minimalist design. Really clean and modern. That's kind of our personal style anyway at home, so it was a good fit.
Sound system is fantastic. Love the radio stations what come with the connectivity subscription.
The app is well done and very useful. I appreciate getting a cool car when I leave work. Transferring the car to me with the app was very easy.
Autopilot works well. Better than expected.
I like the dual screens much more than the single center screen in other models.
I like the yoke and even like the turn signal buttons. Yoke really allows the screen to be seen more easily.
Like the gimmicks ok, like light show and video games, but I could take them or leave them.

The Dislikes:
Hate hate hate the horn button. Might upgrade to the new yoke for that reason along.
Not a fan of the glass roof. Bought a roof sunscreen to minimize the sun and heat. Will probably remove it in the winter, but for summer, it's hot.
Charging in annoying. SoC is something you have to manage where I live since infrastructure hasn't been built out. Ruled out driving it for a couple of longer trips because I didn't want to deal with driving out of my way to hit superchargers. I haven't done a level 2 at home because I can charge at work, but I'm only in the office part time, so I have to keep it plugged in with the slower mobile charger at home. Luckily, one of the few superchargers in my area is less than 10 miles away, so I have that as backup if need. But I'd much rather have the convenience of a million gas stations that I could fill up in 5 minutes just about anywhere, anytime. Rain makes charging at work a pain. SC in the summer is almost subtropical, with storms rolling thru almost every afternoon. Dealing with charging in the rain is a pain. Overall, charging is doable, but annoying for me at this time.
TPMS failure that I need to get to resolved, but it won't let me schedule the local service center here in Columbia SC. Forcing me to go to Charlotte. Not convenient to drive and hour and half for service. Hopefully, once I schedule it, they will offer a mobile fix.

What Surprised Me:
It's docile and fairly comfortable if you want it to be. I didn't test drive in chill mode, and it really smooths things out if you are willing to turn it into a 1000hp Camry. Moreso than I expected. Not good enough for my wife, but good enough for me at the driver.
Cargo area is much bigger than I expected. I haven't looked at the actual measurements, but it feels almost as big as my son's RX. Really efficient for the design. Lots of storage everywhere.
The amount of attention it attracts. Not that many Plaids or even Model Ss in this area, so it's fairly common to come out of a store and having someone checking it out and wanting to discuss it. Numerous picture takers and window peepers on Sentry mode. Fortunately, nothing really negative. Been coal rolled a couple of times, but the air filter takes care of that. Hopefully that will change as more are seen in this area. It doesn't really bother me, but I'm in my 50s now, so people in general are starting to get on my nerves more, so I could do without it.
FSD is very good. Way better than I expected. $49 a month and I'm in. Maybe even at $69. Not at $99. Not exactly sure why I feel that way, because I spend $99 on crap that I really don't need fairly frequently. Just doesn't feel like it's worth it, especially when I enjoy driving the car myself.
Black paint. I went black, and then I went back. Now I'm back in black, something I swore I would never do again, but I like the way this car looks when it's all shined up. The black with white interior is very stormtrooper, and I like the contrast.
Battery end of life. I really don't think about it as much as I thought I would. Maybe because I have accepted it and accounted for it financially. It's in the back of my head, but the fun factor definitely makes it a distance thought.

I'm sure I forgot a few things, but that's about it for now. I'm interested to see how the service experience goes. I'll post how it goes afterwards. Not expecting much. Hopefully they surprise me.
Good review 👍 like everyone else mentioned, get a 240v circuit and L2 charger, and it will make your life and your EV experience infinitely better. You can travel with your ICE vehicles, eventually they will build out the charging infrastructure.

Never been coal rolled, but I imagine it can be annoying. Next time just step on it and leave them in the dust
Old 07-28-24, 10:59 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

The horn button on the yoke is something that isn’t a big deal until it is. I dont use my horn button much so I didn’t care about it for a while but after a couple years now and several instances when I needed to use it I couldn’t find it easily and because of that I couldn’t alert others when I needed to. Glad Tesla figured out it was a dumb idea.
Old 07-29-24, 05:00 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

do teslas STILL not come with homelink (garage opener) buttons or function?
Old 07-29-24, 05:07 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
do teslas STILL not come with homelink (garage opener) buttons or function?
My S has it but not sure of the others. That would suck to have to have a garage door opener in my car.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation