EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-23, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I also run my ICE cars at 70...
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 08:37 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I also run my ICE cars at 70...
In you garage?
Old 11-29-23, 08:40 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 985 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
It was 25 on my drive in this morning. On my Ody, I have the heat set to 70 in the winter with the seat warmers on so I'm running it the same. Main difference is that when I hop in my Rivian, it's already a toasty 70 before I go into my garage.
That's like having your own private butler to get the car warmed up for you and all ready to go.
Allen K (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 08:45 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
It was 25 on my drive in this morning. On my Ody, I have the heat set to 70 in the winter with the seat warmers on so I'm running it the same. Main difference is that when I hop in my Rivian, it's already a toasty 70 before I go into my garage.
I don't know about your Rivian, but in the Y I just set it to Auto and 69F and it keeps the cabin nice and warm. The other day it was 37F, and I only used about 2 percent more battery than today, which is 50F. That was mostly because I ran the "Defrost Car" mode for 20 minutes, which turns everything up to Full, including the seat and steering wheel heaters. As far as efficiency, I still used 2 kWh both times for my 10 mile commute
Old 11-29-23, 09:12 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
That's like having your own private butler to get the car warmed up for you and all ready to go.
Eh, while it’s a cool feature…

Garages stay warm enough. It was 20 degrees last night and 58 degrees inside the garage when I backed out and that was with the garage opened for a minute or two while I got in, etc.

My garaged cars aren’t cold to get into to begin with, and the heat comes on almost immediately, by the time I’m at the first intersection near my house.

Parking outside, yes that’s very different. However ICE remote start is great, it’ll crank the heat or A/C.
Old 11-29-23, 09:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123

Garages stay warm enough. It was 20 degrees last night and 58 degrees inside the garage when I backed out and that was with the garage opened for a minute or two while I got in, etc.

My garaged cars aren’t cold to get into to begin with, and the heat comes on almost immediately, by the time I’m at the first intersection near my house.

Parking outside, yes that’s very different. However ICE remote start is great, it’ll crank the heat or A/C.
Unfortunately, my wife took over the garage, filled it with cabinets and uses it for storage. So no cars allowed in there. I have too many cars anyway (5 at the moment).

With EV's, you just set the schedule, and the car will warm the interior before you leave. I leave at 8am, so the car warms itself 15 minutes before I leave.

Todays EV's have heat pumps, which are highly efficient, so you don't lose much range in cold weather. Most can operate efficiently all the way down to -30 C (-22 F). On Monday it was 37F in San Jose, and I used the same 2 kWh for my 10 mile commute as today, which was 50F. If I look at both my summer and winter driving with temps ranging from 100F to 37F, I'm averaging about 28 kWh per 100 miles, which is well above 100 MPG
Old 11-29-23, 09:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't know about your Rivian, but in the Y I just set it to Auto and 69F and it keeps the cabin nice and warm. The other day it was 37F, and I only used about 2 percent more battery than today, which is 50F. That was mostly because I ran the "Defrost Car" mode for 20 minutes, which turns everything up to Full, including the seat and steering wheel heaters. As far as efficiency, I still used 2 kWh both times for my 10 mile commute
Yeah that's not too bad at all. Auto in the Rivian is just okay. Feels like it blows on the cold side which is why I mentioned turning up the 72 to really feel heat from the vents. I do have to run the seat warmers manually though

I'll crack the garage door and run the Ody for a few minutes before leaving in the winter. Helps take the edge off the cold. Rivian only got down to a 50F cabin temp last night so turning on the climate control is more for the battery than the interior.
BayeauxLex (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 09:58 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Granted it gets way colder other places, but it was 22 degrees last night which is way colder than normal this time of year and my garage was fine temp wise.
Old 11-29-23, 10:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
In you garage?
Its a big garage lol

I mean temp in the winter!
Old 11-29-23, 01:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Heat in an ICE does nothing, it just blows heat "from the engine" and affects nothing.
Uh, really? Actually during warmup and short drives, heat in ICE will spend incredible amount of fuel to not only heat up your cabin, but also make emission equipment work properly.
My ICE cars would spend 3x more fuel in short drives in city compared to highway longer drives, during winter periods.

I mean this is a well known fact:
https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/f...y-cold-weather

Cant believe you never noticed it. What car do you drive?
Mike728 (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 01:13 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

btw, garage will also work great when you buy your EV... having it warmed up quickly and ready, means less heat losses during winter.
Old 11-29-23, 01:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf
Uh, really? Actually during warmup and short drives, heat in ICE will spend incredible amount of fuel to not only heat up your cabin, but also make emission equipment work properly.
My ICE cars would spend 3x more fuel in short drives in city compared to highway longer drives, during winter periods.

I mean this is a well known fact:
https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/f...y-cold-weather

Cant believe you never noticed it. What car do you drive?
I don’t believe anything in that article. 20% loss in MPG in cold weather? Never in my life. I’ve never noticed cold weather even ever affecting my gasoline range and I’ve been driving for 26 years. Instantly the credibility goes out the window. Plus it’s from the government, that article is complete BS.

An ICE car is going to heat up regardless and do all of those things you mention. The heat is just a blower blowing heat “off of the engine” like I said. It doesn’t cost any mpg, unlike a/c….and A/C is NOT EVEN CLOSE to a 20% loss either. It’s minimal.
Old 11-29-23, 01:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I don’t believe anything in that article. 20% loss in MPG in cold weather? Never in my life. I’ve never noticed cold weather even ever affecting my gasoline range and I’ve been driving for 26 years. Instantly the credibility goes out the window. Plus it’s from the government, that article is complete BS.

A car is going to heat up regardless and do all of those things you mention. The heat is just a blower blowing heat “off of the engine” like I said. It doesn’t cost any mpg, unlike a/c….and A/C is NOT EVEN CLOSE to a 20% loss either.
He's totally correct. My IS350 would barely get 10 MPG until warmed up. Even my Civic Si which would normally average around 30 MPG would get around 12 to 15 MPG until warmed up. And even after warmed up, on cold days I would get way lower MPG's. This is pretty well known. So unless the MPG's my cars were showing me were BS....

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-29-23 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-29-23, 01:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
He's totally correct. My IS350 would barely get 10 MPG until warmed up. Even my Civic Si would get around 12 to 15 MPG until warmed up. This is pretty well known
That article says expect up to a 20% loss in fuel economy range in general in the winter with an ICE car, which is horse****.

Cars warm up, they all do and they always have. My cars nail or exceed their EPA ratings.

Using the heater has no effect on MPG.
Old 11-29-23, 01:38 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 679 Likes on 425 Posts

A car is going to heat up regardless and do all of those things you mention. The heat is just a blower blowing heat “off of the engine” like I said. It doesn’t cost any mpg, unlike a/c….and A/C is NOT EVEN CLOSE to a 20% loss either.
There's nothing in that linked article that's even remotely contentious.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation