EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-24, 10:23 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Not my cup of tea either, way to square for my liking.

With high humidity and temp, I don't know how people could live without AC. Last week it was in the 90's, and I had to precool my car (you can precool both my Tesla and Polestar from the app) 10 minutes before getting in. I live in an older neighborhood where many of the residents don't have AC, and during heatwaves, everyone leaves their doors and windows open with fans blasting, and you see the nearby park full of people after 9pm. I don't know how people in high humidity/temp areas survived pre Air-conditioning.

Serious EV adoption in many parts of the country is going to take years. States like yours (Louisiana, correct?) don't allow direct sales, so Tesla's are probably harder to get where you live. Polestars are also direct sales, so if you wanted one, you have to order it and pick it up from Polestar Performance in New Orleans. Most legacy automakers are finding it harder to make a profit on EV's, so you are going to see them turn more to hybrids to fill the gap. Also, lack of charging infrastructure doesn't help EV adoption
The humidity makes it sometimes unbearable. I know a guy who works for UPS and their trucks don’t have AC so the only “air” they get is when the truck is running up and down the road. Well few years ago he suffered a heart stroke while at work. I remember when I started jogging so I started off on the treadmill in the gym. Worked up to 4-5 miles on the treadmill. The first time I ran outside in June in DFW I almost died!! Humidity!! Like I ran in the house and laid on the floor!! Listening to NY news worried about the kids practicing football in 90 heat with no humidity. Lady I’ll take that any day!!

There’s no Tesla dealership in Louisiana that I’m aware of. Louisiana is big on oil & gas. I know a lot of people who work in that field.

There were a lot of BMWs (B58s and S58) running around Times Square tonight in sport mode with the crackle pop downshift and deceleration. Saw an Urus tonight as well.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you'd think that, but they can't sell direct in TEXAS but when i visited austin during covid, there were teslas everywhere. and i think that was before gigatexas got going.
My friend bought both of his Teslas from Tesla in Texas and his utility company is Tesla electric.

Let me tell you about Austin. Basically Californians that either got a lucrative job offer and moved to Austin or were sick of the high prices of houses and moved to Austin. Or both 😂. A friend who lives in Austin told me Californians were making the prices of houses skyrocket

A few years ago my cousin, who’s visiting BH/So Cal, sold their less than 2yr old 4800 sq ft Texas home they built to a family moving from California. It sold for $10k-15k over the asking price. They put it on the market just to test the market. Sold within a week.

I have a couple of relatives who worked in California and moved to Texas after retiring and live comfortably.
Old 08-23-24, 10:59 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
The humidity makes it sometimes unbearable. I know a guy who works for UPS and their trucks don’t have AC so the only “air” they get is when the truck is running up and down the road. Well few years ago he suffered a heart stroke while at work. I remember when I started jogging so I started off on the treadmill in the gym. Worked up to 4-5 miles on the treadmill. The first time I ran outside in June in DFW I almost died!! Humidity!! Like I ran in the house and laid on the floor!! Listening to NY news worried about the kids practicing football in 90 heat with no humidity. Lady I’ll take that any day!!

There’s no Tesla dealership in Louisiana that I’m aware of. Louisiana is big on oil & gas. I know a lot of people who work in that field.

There were a lot of BMWs (B58s and S58) running around Times Square tonight in sport mode with the crackle pop downshift and deceleration. Saw an Urus tonight as well.

My friend bought both of his Teslas from Tesla in Texas and his utility company is Tesla electric.

A few years ago my cousin, who’s visiting BH/So Cal, sold their less than 2yr old 4800 sq ft Texas home they built to a family moving from California. It sold for $10k-15k over the asking price. They put it on the market just to test the market. Sold within a week.

I have a couple of relatives who worked in California and moved to Texas after retiring and live comfortably.
We have a few friend's that moved to Texas. One of them sold his Bay area house he bought in the 1990's for $300k... sold it for $1.7M. didn't even go on the market. He was getting it ready for an open house for $1.4, a guy walked in off the street a couple of days before the open house. Bought two houses in Houston, one for living in, one for rental income. Where I live, if I put it on the market, it will be sold in one weekend with multiple offers.

Humidity is a b. Thankfully here even on extremely hot days, it cools down in the evening where you just open your windows and don't have to run your AC at night. Only occasionally the nights remain too warm, but always cool down by early morning
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (08-23-24)
Old 08-24-24, 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
it's not quite straight forward but tesla has done everything they can to make it doable.

... These laws make it illegal to buy a car from Tesla in person, at a Tesla Gallery. Thus, all Texas orders are taken via the internet or over the phone. Texas residents can still easily buy a car from Tesla, but the purchase is handled as an out-of-state transaction and must be completed before the vehicle ships to Texas. Tesla recently added the ability to include tax, title, license, and registration in the sale price of the car so the purchaser doesn't have to pay that separately once they receive the vehicle. In 2015, Tesla lobbied the Texas Legislature to modify the law[67] to allow Tesla to sell directly to consumers, and specifically allow Tesla employees to discuss "financing, leasing, or purchasing options" at the firm's existing galleries in Austin, Dallas, and Houston.[68] Texas considered legislation in 2015 to allow Tesla to operate in the state[69] but legislation was not passed.[70]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesl...rship_disputes
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (08-24-24), BayeauxLex (08-24-24)
Old 08-24-24, 08:32 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Humidity is a b. Thankfully here even on extremely hot days, it cools down in the evening where you just open your windows and don't have to run your AC at night. Only occasionally the nights remain too warm, but always cool down by early morning
Lol you don’t know REAL humidity, friend.. Most nights our windows fog up and you can’t see outside. I skip taking the convertible out at 9:00a bc it’s already too nasty out, for example.

How did people live with it? Houses were designed differently way back then, lots of open space for hot air to circulate out. You’ll notice if you’re ever in one now, a house like that. Still a complete nightmare though.. They also had big ice blocks though I’m not sure how they made those?

AMIRZA786 (08-24-24)
Old 08-24-24, 08:42 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Old 08-24-24, 08:43 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Old 08-24-24, 08:49 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJT123
Lol you don’t know REAL humidity, friend.. Most nights our windows fog up and you can’t see outside. I skip taking the convertible out at 9:00a bc it’s already too nasty out, for example.

How did people live with it? Houses were designed differently way back then, lots of open space for hot air to circulate out. You’ll notice if you’re ever in one now, a house like that. Still a complete nightmare though.. They also had big ice blocks though I’m not sure how they made those?

Here’s some humidity for you. This is the weather for next several hours.
Look at that bottom line then look at the top line. That’s how it’s going to feel!!
Old 08-24-24, 09:31 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I do, I've been in San Antonio, Houston and Dallas in the summer. It like you hit a wall of heat going outside, and it feels worse at night 🤣. The inside of my rental car is unbearable at 10 PM and you have to have the AC on or you feel like you are going to suffocate. So I fully get it
Old 08-24-24, 09:56 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

Let me tell you about Austin. Basically Californians that either got a lucrative job offer and moved to Austin or were sick of the high prices of houses and moved to Austin. Or both 😂. A friend who lives in Austin told me Californians were making the prices of houses skyrocket
How can you tell about a city that you've never lived in? What about those that "you take the job offer or you lose your job" or those that can't find a job they want in Cal? I think this is the bigger chunk of migration out of California. Austin has a lot of Californian for sure. But what I find interesting is it's not the county with highest EV registration. One would assume Austin has the most EVs, but when I was there, it didn't give me that impression. Checking online, indeed Austin is not the highest county.
AMIRZA786 (08-24-24)
Old 08-24-24, 10:03 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
How can you tell about a city that you've never lived in? What about those that "you take the job offer or you lose your job" or those that can't find a job they want in Cal? I think this is the bigger chunk of migration out of California. Austin has a lot of Californian for sure. But what I find interesting is it's not the county with highest EV registration. One would assume Austin has the most EVs, but when I was there, it didn't give me that impression. Checking online, indeed Austin is not the highest county.
I've read a lot of articles on this, plus I've had friends who live in Austin tell me a lot of their neighbors are from California. Also I have a friend who works for Giga Austin, and he tells me a large chunk of the workforce are Californians.

I don't know the percentage of the Austin population that are from California, but it's enough to drive up the price of housing there
Old 08-24-24, 10:08 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Also to add on to my last post, only about 20 to 25 percent of Californians own an EV. Wish it were higher, but maybe that's why Austin doesn't have the highest EV registrations
Old 08-24-24, 10:37 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

I do, I've been in San Antonio, Houston and Dallas in the summer. It like you hit a wall of heat going outside, and it feels worse at night 🤣. The inside of my rental car is unbearable at 10 PM and you have to have the AC on or you feel like you are going to suffocate. So I fully get it
Man you feel that wall of heat soon as you step off the airplane walking back into the airport!!
AMIRZA786 (08-24-24)
Old 08-24-24, 11:25 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Lol you’re right, it IS worse at night, at least “walking into the wall of uncomfortableness” leaving an airport, etc. etc

Hah. Never really thought of that.

We are heading your way in the next year to just drive down the coast from Seattle to LA, can’t wait.
AMIRZA786 (08-24-24)
Old 08-24-24, 11:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Lol you’re right, it IS worse at night, at least “walking into the wall of uncomfortableness” leaving an airport, etc. etc

Hah. Never really thought of that.

We are heading your way in the next year to just drive down the coast from Seattle to LA, can’t wait.
Beautiful drive, I've done SJ to LA and back. Breathtaking views. If you find yourself in my neck of the woods (San Jose, Santa Clara etc) don't be a stranger!
Old 08-24-24, 01:02 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

https://www.motortrend.com/features/...r-you-can-buy/

Every New Electric Car You Can Buy in 2024

AMIRZA786 (08-24-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation