EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-24, 02:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Now explain China they are going to be over 50% by the end of the year I under estimated. BTW the Untied States has an ample supply of oil. Not going electric is a big bunch of excuses nothing more.
AJT is still on stage 1 of the "Stages of grief"

BTW, the US is the largest producer of crude oil of any other country over the last 6 years, so you are correct, the US has ample oil supply. Go back to the "my mom" analogy a few posts back 🤣
Old 09-01-24, 03:59 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Im not advocating for this here by any means, but there is a significant difference in public health in Norway vs here.
I know. People aren’t fat. Good for them, seriously.

I just couldn’t imagine. I can and have lost weight before without Uncle Sam’s help.

If someone wants to eat themself to death here in America, I don’t recommend it but it’s their right.
Old 09-01-24, 04:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
I know. People aren’t fat. Good for them, seriously.

I just couldn’t imagine. I can and have lost weight before without Uncle Sam’s help.

If someone wants to eat themself to death here in America, I don’t recommend it but it’s their right.
I'm not advocating for controlling what people eat, but the reason my health insurance, and I'm sure yours as well is so high is because of...the way people eat. I pay more than $1000 a month out of my pocket for my families health plan, and my company covers the other 80 percent. So normally I could care less how much sugar people put in their bodies, except that thanks to them, my premiums have gone up 10 percent year over year, taking money out of my pocket. You and I both pay for all the sugar people eat, which is completely not fair if you want to discuss fairness
Old 09-01-24, 04:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm not advocating for controlling what people eat, but the reason my health insurance, and I'm sure yours as well is so high is because of...the way people eat. I pay more than $1000 a month out of my pocket for my families health plan, and my company covers the other 80 percent. So normally I could care less how much sugar people put in their bodies, except that thanks to them, my premiums have gone up 10 percent year over year, taking money out of my pocket. You and I both pay for all the sugar people eat, which is completely not fair if you want to discuss fairness
$220 a month. They’ve paid out WELLLLLLLL into 7 figures for 4 back surgeries over the past 4 years. At my spouse’s company the most basic employees get the exact same plan for same price minus an HSA account and card.

America is unhealthy but do you have actual proof that these $$ increases (which we don’t see in our house) are because of sugar taxes in Europe? Slam the ACA before private insurance.

Fairness? Life isn’t fair, that’s for sure.

Last edited by AJT123; 09-01-24 at 05:02 PM.
Old 09-01-24, 05:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

$220 a month. They’ve paid out WELLLLLLLL into 7 figures for 4 back surgeries over the past 4 years. At my spouse’s company the most basic employees get the exact same plan for same price minus an HSA account and card.

America is unhealthy but do you have actual proof that these $$ increases (which we don’t see in our house) are because of sugar taxes in Europe? Slam the ACA before private insurance.

You are also not insuring 4 people...my spouse and two adult kids, $0 deductible HMO plan. We also have a way, way larger population, I believe you are in Tennessee with a population of 7.2 Million compared to 39.5 Million in Cali with a large number of unhealthy diabetics and people with heart disease that just love drinking, sugar and McDonalds, God bless them. I could give you a bunch of proof that the cost of health insurance is linked to unhealthy lifestyles, but this is not the proper forum. I have private insurance btw which has absolutely nothing to do with the ACA, which only affects mostly low income individuals
Old 09-01-24, 05:55 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You are also not insuring 4 people...my spouse and two adult kids, $0 deductible HMO plan. We also have a way, way larger population, I believe you are in Tennessee with a population of 7.2 Million compared to 39.5 Million in Cali with a large number of unhealthy diabetics and people with heart disease that just love drinking, sugar and McDonalds, God bless them. I could give you a bunch of proof that the cost of health insurance is linked to unhealthy lifestyles, but this is not the proper forum. I have private insurance btw which has absolutely nothing to do with the ACA, which only affects mostly low income individuals
I just said there and said America is unhealthy, you don’t have to show me anything. But the television isn’t going to tell me I can’t have my Reese’s cup in the middle of the night when I get a craving. Sometimes I go on candy binges that are ridiculous, I can’t help it.

Yet, other than the back problems I am healthy as a horse. I heard two doctors talking right before they started giving me the anesthesia last time and they were talking about how excellent my health is otherwise. Nice thing to hear before you go under that’s for sure. That was literally the last thing I remember.

It’s just a slippery slope. I get a candy craving that’s ridiculous like I said yet what about someone who smokes and drinks a lot?? Which is worse? I do neither of those things.

P.S. If we had kids it would be more but nothing crazy like you purport.. Good insurance is not hard to access in this country.

Old 09-01-24, 06:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I just said there and said America is unhealthy, you don’t have to show me anything. But the television isn’t going to tell me I can’t have my Reese’s cup in the middle of the night when I get a craving. Sometimes I go on candy binges that are ridiculous, I can’t help it.

Yet, other than the back problems I am healthy as a horse. I heard two doctors talking right before they started giving me the anesthesia last time and they were talking about how excellent my health is otherwise. Nice thing to hear before you go under that’s for sure. That was literally the last thing I remember.

It’s just a slippery slope. I get a candy craving that’s ridiculous like I said yet what about someone who smokes and drinks a lot?? Which is worse? I do neither of those things.

P.S. If we had kids it would be more but nothing crazy like you purport.. Good insurance is not hard to access in this country.
My insurance is 80 percent paid by my employer, if I went out and paid for it myself it would be at least 2x my current cost. Health insurance is for profit, the only way I could get it cheaper is drop all my coverage and get comprehensive or drop my spouse and kids.

I have no issues with you eating junk food, please enjoy
Old 09-01-24, 06:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

My insurance is 80 percent paid by my employer, if I went out and paid for it myself it would be at least 2x my current cost. Health insurance is for profit, the only way I could get it cheaper is drop all my coverage and get comprehensive or drop my spouse and kids.

I have no issues with you eating junk food, please enjoy
Lol well I do but then occasionally I’ll feel icky for a day, my body telling me not to make a habit of it. I will drive to the 24 hour Walgreens sometimes and buy $25 worth of sweets late at night…. I wouldn’t eat it all in one sitting or anything… but yeah.

Twin snake gummies are the best.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (09-01-24)
Old 09-01-24, 06:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Lol well I do but then occasionally I’ll feel icky for a day, my body telling me not to make a habit of it. I will drive to the 24 hour Walgreens sometimes and buy $25 worth of sweets late at night…. I wouldn’t eat it all in one sitting or anything… but yeah.

Twin snake gummies are the best.
I pretty much stay away from junk food as much as I can, diabetes runs in my family. My father suffered from it and it literally ate his body away. He was a tough old guy so he lived to nearly 90, but his last 4 years of life was in and out of hospitals and rehab centers. I want to avoid that existence he had, so far at 56 I'm on no medications except allergy meds.

Back to EV's. . Next week I'm probably going to pay off my Polestar lease which ends in Jan. I'm considering just returning it early as it's an extra car right now that I'm hardly driving due to my son not living at home and it's 6,000 miles over the leases allowed mileage. I would say it's one of the funnest cars I've owned. At this point I probably won't replace it with anything else until our Ioniq 5 lease is up in July of next year, than I'll give my wife the Model Y and buy a Model 3 Performance for myself
Old 09-01-24, 07:33 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

I don't know why you'd "slam the ACA" when it's the only reason an insurer has to cover you for all those surgeries. Without it you ran a massive risk of only getting the first one covered before you're getting dropped for pre-existing conditions and/or unprofitability. Mandatory coverage for pre-existing conditions isn't something that insurers were falling over themselves to offer. And that's before we even start to consider the unfortunate conversation resulting in a pink slip the Friday before your surgery, and you're suddenly finding on the hook for the bill yourself. The ACA helps you. It certainly isn't your enemy.

The whole "slam the ACA" narrative is promulgated by the insurers themselves, and it's the direct result of massive lobbying dollars. It's why we in the US spend ever more on healthcare for increasingly worse outcomes. Individuals pushing these anti-ACA and pro-insurance narratives are the proverbial turkeys voting for Thanksgiving. It's the promotion of a paid talking point that's in everyone's interests but yours.

Sometimes, the rest of the world can indeed teach us some important lessons.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (09-01-24)
Old 09-01-24, 08:51 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
I don't know why you'd "slam the ACA" when it's the only reason an insurer has to cover you for all those surgeries. Without it you ran a massive risk of only getting the first one covered before you're getting dropped for pre-existing conditions and/or unprofitability. Mandatory coverage for pre-existing conditions isn't something that insurers were falling over themselves to offer.

The whole "slam the ACA" narrative is promulgated by the insurers themselves, and it's the direct result of massive lobbying dollars. It's why we in the US spend ever more on healthcare for increasingly worse outcomes. Individuals pushing these anti-ACA and pro-insurance narratives are the proverbial turkeys voting for Thanksgiving. It's the promotion of a paid talking point that's in everyone's interests but yours.

Sometimes, the rest of the world can indeed teach us some important lessons.
All complete California garbage from you as usual.. You’re saying without the disaster known as Obamacare my other surgeries would have been denied, now? Please join us in reality. ACA helps no one but lower middle class who don’t have to pay much or anything. And I’m glad it helps them but sticking the middle class with the bill was awful.

Whatever lesson you want taught from the rest of the world leave me out of it.

Last edited by AJT123; 09-01-24 at 08:55 PM.
Old 09-01-24, 08:57 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

This is ludicrous, back to EVs.

I saw a Mercedes EV SUV today. Not bad looking.

But man those EQS cars were so ugly, I never saw one on the road that I can remember.
Old 09-01-24, 09:33 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Now explain China they are going to be over 50% by the end of the year I under estimated. BTW the Untied States has an ample supply of oil. Not going electric is a big bunch of excuses nothing more.
They won't be over 50% EV. That's EV and plugin hybrid combined. China has super cheap cars with a dictatorship pushing them. So, again, not really comparable to the US, at least not yet.

But nobody really needs an "excuse" not to drive an EV. People should drive what they want and everyone else should mind their own damn business.
Old 09-01-24, 09:36 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
But nobody really needs an "excuse" not to drive an EV. People should drive what they want and everyone else should mind their own damn business.
No one forces you to buy an electric vehicle, or a gas car or forces you to buy any car. And don't bring up subsidies, oil production is the most subsidized business sector in history.
Old 09-01-24, 10:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

No one forces you to buy an electric vehicle, or a gas car or forces you to buy any car. And don't bring up subsidies, oil production is the most subsidized business sector in history.
Let’s all move on before we get chewed out.

Not talking to only you, I’m definitely including myself etc.

WADR to everyone I think EVs are about at their peak.

They’ll always be around for exactly the reason buy them for, and that’s cool. If I were filthy rich like 8 car rich I’d own a Plaid or CT absolutely.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation