EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-24, 10:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
They won't be over 50% EV. That's EV and plugin hybrid combined. China has super cheap cars with a dictatorship pushing them. So, again, not really comparable to the US, at least not yet.

But nobody really needs an "excuse" not to drive an EV. People should drive what they want and everyone else should mind their own damn business.
I agree...especially if you dive a Plaid 🤣

Speaking of Plaid, I was headed to an event this evening, and I'm besides a Black Plaid with a staggered wheel setup. Such a gorgeous car. We are both in the left lane, he's in the outermost left lane and I'm to the right of him, I'm driving the Polestar. Anyway as we are making a left, a Mustang GT comes off the freeway on the right side, gunning it and going full throttle. The dude in the Plaid sees this, and I saw a "I'm gonna teach this guy a lesson" look on his face, and changes lanes and goes after the Mustang. I was thinking of following to see the outcome, but I already know what it is going to be and figured I should just mind my own damn business
Old 09-01-24, 10:40 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
No one forces you to buy an electric vehicle, or a gas car or forces you to buy any car. And don't bring up subsidies, oil production is the most subsidized business sector in history.
Then why are you crying about 90% adoption and that we have no "excuse". We don't need any percentage of adoption or any excuse for not achieving any percentage of adoption. People should buy what they want and let adoption numbers should fall where they may in the market.

The reality is, that if you are looking for an excuse regarding adoption of EVs, there is ONE and ONLY ONE excuse. EVs aren't good enough for people to want to buy them. They still prefer ICE.

Old 09-01-24, 10:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Let’s all move on before we get chewed out.

Not talking to only you, I’m definitely including myself etc.

WADR to everyone I think EVs are about at their peak.

They’ll always be around for exactly the reason buy them for, and that’s cool. If I were filthy rich like 8 car rich I’d own a Plaid or CT absolutely.
I don't want to burst your bubble, but EV registrations continue to climb, slowly, but at a constant pace. Here's the latest EV registration figures

Look at Texas and Florida, they are almost half of California. Both Texas and Florida have a totally different demographic than California.

That said, you have nothing to worry about. ICE cars aren't going away for a long time. The problem for me is they (ICE) are being neutered down to four cylinder hybrids. No way I will ever buy another four cylinder in my life

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 09-01-24 at 10:47 PM.
Old 09-01-24, 11:01 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I agree...especially if you dive a Plaid 🤣

Speaking of Plaid, I was headed to an event this evening, and I'm besides a Black Plaid with a staggered wheel setup. Such a gorgeous car. We are both in the left lane, he's in the outermost left lane and I'm to the right of him, I'm driving the Polestar. Anyway as we are making a left, a Mustang GT comes off the freeway on the right side, gunning it and going full throttle. The dude in the Plaid sees this, and I saw a "I'm gonna teach this guy a lesson" look on his face, and changes lanes and goes after the Mustang. I was thinking of following to see the outcome, but I already know what it is going to be and figured I should just mind my own damn business
Yeah, you don't want to be a secondary victim in that. Insurance rates are already skyrocketing. Catching a ticket for being a speeding spectator would be a nightmare.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (09-01-24)
Old 09-01-24, 11:08 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I don't want to burst your bubble, but EV registrations continue to climb, slowly, but at a constant pace. Here's the latest EV registration figures

Look at Texas and Florida, they are almost half of California. Both Texas and Florida have a totally different demographic than California.

That said, you have nothing to worry about. ICE cars aren't going away for a long time. The problem for me is they (ICE) are being neutered down to four cylinder hybrids. No way I will ever buy another four cylinder in my life
Well, the 4 cylinder mess is because of regulations that are choking ICE. Instead of passing laws, unelected bureaucrats try to regulate ICE of existence. Hopefully the recent smackdown of the Chevron doctrine by the Supreme Court will fix some of that.
Old 09-01-24, 11:31 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Hopefully the recent smackdown of the Chevron doctrine by the Supreme Court will fix some of that.
It'll make absolutely zero difference when carmakers are global brands targeting territories that already have emissions regulations ten times more stringent than the US, especially Europe and China. The US is just a small slice of the pie and most people who want an A-B appliance will never care about what engine is under their hood so long as it fits their monthly payments.

The US could add a 200% tax incentive to get people to buy V8's and it'll change absolutely nothing for car manufacturers.
Old 09-01-24, 11:34 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Then why are you crying about 90% adoption and that we have no "excuse". We don't need any percentage of adoption or any excuse for not achieving any percentage of adoption. People should buy what they want and let adoption numbers should fall where they may in the market.

The reality is, that if you are looking for an excuse regarding adoption of EVs, there is ONE and ONLY ONE excuse. EVs aren't good enough for people to want to buy them. They still prefer ICE.
What are you talking about? I stated a fact about Norway now who is crying about it. Cities with high EV adoption are cleaner and far quieter, again no excuse we should be moving faster to cleaner, better and safer transport.

Gas cars are still selling in large part because people have major misconceptions about EVs.
bitkahuna (09-02-24)
Old 09-01-24, 11:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Well, the 4 cylinder mess is because of regulations that are choking ICE. Instead of passing laws, unelected bureaucrats try to regulate ICE of existence. Hopefully the recent smackdown of the Chevron doctrine by the Supreme Court will fix some of that.
Like you, I believe people should make the choice of what they want to own and drive. Nothing much we can do about the regulations, it is what it is. If I ever had to go back to ICE, it would 100 percent not be a four cylinder. As far as EV's, it's going to be a slow but steady adoption rate that will take years, but I strongly believe most won't want to go back. Those that do go back will be most likely because they had a bad, or a few bad experiences charging while travelling.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me. I've chosen my path, I don't anticipate every going back....unless it's weekend car
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
Bob04 (09-02-24), Lwerewolf (09-02-24)
Old 09-02-24, 05:08 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
It'll make absolutely zero difference when carmakers are global brands targeting territories that already have emissions regulations ten times more stringent than the US, especially Europe and China. The US is just a small slice of the pie and most people who want an A-B appliance will never care about what engine is under their hood so long as it fits their monthly payments.

The US could add a 200% tax incentive to get people to buy V8's and it'll change absolutely nothing for car manufacturers.
I assume you're not talking about harmful (well, directly so) emissions? The US and esp. the CARB states are way ahead of the pack.

What are you talking about? I stated a fact about Norway now who is crying about it. Cities with high EV adoption are cleaner and far quieter, again no excuse we should be moving faster to cleaner, better and safer transport.

Gas cars are still selling in large part because people have major misconceptions about EVs.
Norway is about as good of an example as China. Major oil and gas exporter, pretty much fully renewable electricity generation, insane EV subsidies and petro/diesel taxes. It makes no financial sense whatsoever to buy a new ICE there.

The way to better cities is not having or wanting to use your car in the first place when you have great public transport and walking / cycling infrastructure - and a decent (capable, not sized) police force to fine the living **** out of idiotic suicidal cyclists and similar inconsiderate... "folk", but that's for another discussion.

Those that do go back will be most likely because they had a bad, or a few bad experiences charging while travelling.
I bet they might at least consider having a "secondary" (more like primary) car as an EV. The e-up / twingo / etc over here are perfect for day-to-day runabouts.

edit: how do I merge posts :S

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-02-24 at 08:50 AM.
Old 09-02-24, 05:27 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

No, you stated a fact and then proceed to claimed there was no "excuse" that everyone wasn't at 90%.

"If Norway can get to 90% + new vehicle sales being EV then there is no excuse for the rest of us."

No excuse is needed, but if you want one, it's because the ownership experience isn't good enough for the consumer to buy, even with heavy subsidies. Change is hard for a lot of people because many have been bitten in the past. A car purchase is a big expense and getting it wrong can cost you a lot of money. EVs are going to have to prove themselves worthy of customer's money. And you can't blame it all on misconceptions. There are just as many EV nuthuggers out there as there are EV haters, including the entire Federal government and many state governments. Everyone just needs to let the market do its thing. Probably already been too much meddling, which leads to suspicion and doubt.

Old 09-02-24, 08:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

EVs aren't good enough for people to want to buy them. They still prefer ICE.
This isn’t true, this is true:

There are also many people that are obstinate and refuse to even try or consider an EV and if they would and would take the absurd politics out of it they actually would like them.

The only reason I didn’t get one is concerns about range when I travel to WV. An EV makes a luxury sedan superior though. No reason not to choose it other than that, and that will be solved soon.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
AMIRZA786 (09-02-24), LeX2K (09-02-24)
Old 09-02-24, 12:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

No, you stated a fact and then proceed to claimed there was no "excuse" that everyone wasn't at 90%.

"If Norway can get to 90% + new vehicle sales being EV then there is no excuse for the rest of us."

No excuse is needed, but if you want one, it's because the ownership experience isn't good enough for the consumer to buy, even with heavy subsidies. Change is hard for a lot of people because many have been bitten in the past. A car purchase is a big expense and getting it wrong can cost you a lot of money. EVs are going to have to prove themselves worthy of customer's money. And you can't blame it all on misconceptions. There are just as many EV nuthuggers out there as there are EV haters, including the entire Federal government and many state governments. Everyone just needs to let the market do its thing. Probably already been too much meddling, which leads to suspicion and doubt.
I have a love of cars, so I talk to a lot of people about cars, both gas and electric. Even here in California where 25 percent of new car sales are EV's, friends, colleagues and family who tell me they would never buy an EV have never driven one, and spout the same lies and troupes I've been hearing for the last four years. And those that have actually took the time to research them, test drive them and buy them love them and most say they will never go back and have ZERO regrets about their purchase and plan to buy another one, especially Tesla owners.

I really don't care what people drive or their choices of what car they buy. I do care that people hear a lie, repeat it and pass it on. Most of what people tell me who say they will never buy and EV is just all the same false narratives that have been disproven over and over again. I've owned EV's since 2020, I now have three, if you count my daughters Bolt, four and I've never had an issue driving or anything near the lies people spout.

Buying a car should not be political. You do your research, if it meets or exceeds your needs, you buy it, if not, don't

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 09-02-24 at 12:15 PM.
LeX2K (09-02-24)
Old 09-02-24, 12:33 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
I assume you're not talking about harmful (well, directly so) emissions? The US and esp. the CARB states are way ahead of the pack.
No, I'm talking displacement taxes. There's a reason why Europe and China offer laughably low-displacement vehicles like a 1.5L 4-cylinder G-Wagen that you would never find on US soil.
Old 09-02-24, 12:36 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Talking about ignorance, EV hate is very real as well as political, fueled (pardon the pun) by lies. You'll never see an EV owner blocking gas pumps to stop people from fueling

Old 09-02-24, 12:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Talking about ignorance...
People like that believe mining for EVs is the worst thing ever for the environment and 100% of the miners are 7 year old children. You can't reason with people like that I've tried, pointed out life cycle emissions, mining required for petrol cars etc. makes zero difference. There was recently the largest oil spill in history I bet hardly anyone knows about it but if there is one EV fire it will be plastered over the media cycle for days.

I am totally baffled why anyone is against the Norway model it's awesome I wish we'd do that in Canada especially since we have the resources. The alternative is monumentally stupid, keep burning oil with nothing to show for it except pollution.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation