EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-24, 12:52 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
No, I'm talking displacement taxes. There's a reason why Europe and China offer laughably low-displacement vehicles like a 1.5L 4-cylinder G-Wagen that you would never find on US soil.
Over here it depends on the country - a "displacement" tax is nowhere near universal and is gone from most places where it used to be - replaced by fuel economy taxes, if even that. It's not a universal EU thing.
Old 09-02-24, 01:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I am totally baffled why anyone is against the Norway model it's awesome I wish we'd do that in Canada especially since we have the resources. The alternative is monumentally stupid, keep burning oil with nothing to show for it except pollution.
Don’t try to give it to us down here in the USA, we lead the world in emissions reduction tech. Go talk to India and China.

You do realize 80% of our nation’s electricity comes from fossil fuels? Completely pointless. Americans plugging their cars in isn’t some noble thing.

Just buy what you want.
Old 09-02-24, 01:23 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Over here it depends on the country - a "displacement" tax is nowhere near universal and is gone from most places where it used to be - replaced by fuel economy taxes, if even that. It's not a universal EU thing.
Explain then why Lexus doesn't offer the non-hybrid V6 LS500 or ES350 anywhere in Europe. When manufacturers sell cars in Europe it's one-size fits all (unless you're in the UK with right hand drive).
Old 09-02-24, 01:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Don’t try to give it to us down here in the USA, we lead the world in emissions reduction tech. Go talk to India and China.
You buy a boat load of products from China, YOU are why the emissions exist.
You do realize 80% of our nation’s electricity comes from fossil fuels? Completely pointless.
I've posted this over a dozen times at this point, EVs charged via coal power plants are still cleaner.
Americans plugging their cars in isn’t some noble thing.
Electricity is renewable oil is not this is the most basic fact possible.
Just buy what you want.
Call for ending all subsidies on oil production and we'll talk.
Old 09-02-24, 01:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Even if all the energy comes from Fossil fuels of course reducing the number of gasoline powered cars reduces air pollution. That’s just common sense.

My stepfather for instance is “against solar power”. I mean, what is there to be against? If we can get power from the sun why wouldn’t we want to do that? If we can reduce air pollution and improve air quality why would we not want to do that? It’s the same thing with nuclear power. If we can use nuclear plants safely to generate clean energy, why would we not want to do that?
Old 09-02-24, 01:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
No, there are plenty of excuses why something that works in Norway won't work in a country the size of the US. Norway is basically an oil company posing as a country.
norway has almost all domestic power from hydro so comparing it to the u.s. is stupid.

by massively subsidizing ev's they can export ever more oil and have major green cred.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There are also many people that are obstinate and refuse to even try or consider an EV and if they would and would take the absurd politics out of it they actually would like them.
i don't think politics is the roadblock. it's that majority of people can't charge at home or work. without that it's either impractical or their other concern is range anxiety (sometimes legit for trips).

The only reason I didn’t get one is concerns about range when I travel to WV.
and many have the same reason. until we get more/better charging stations and range, that's not going to change.

I am totally baffled why anyone is against the Norway model it's awesome I wish we'd do that in Canada especially since we have the resources. The alternative is monumentally stupid, keep burning oil with nothing to show for it except pollution.
the 'norway model' isn't feasible any time soon in the u.s. it IS pretty feasible in canada though. i'm in newfoundland right now... all hydro. i think i've seen 1 ev.
Old 09-02-24, 01:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

People like that believe mining for EVs is the worst thing ever for the environment and 100% of the miners are 7 year old children. You can't reason with people like that I've tried, pointed out life cycle emissions, mining required for petrol cars etc. makes zero difference. There was recently the largest oil spill in history I bet hardly anyone knows about it but if there is one EV fire it will be plastered over the media cycle for days.

And they are driving diesel trucks LOL 🤣 They don't care about mining, that's just a BS excuse. If you had to mine to produce diesel, they would be all for it. For some, the tech is too much to wrap around their heads. For others, they hear talking points thrown to them from oil companies fed to politicians. And of course there are those people where owning an EV is not yet practical, which is fully understandable.

Again, for me and 99 percent of EV owners I've talked to buy EV's because they are superior to gasoline engines. They drive smoother than the smoothest V8, they are super efficient, almost no NVH, and instant torque that is pure amazing. I drove my friends M4 Comp back to back with the new Model 3 Performance, and it's not even close. The M4 does have better seats, does look cooler, has more paint options, but doesn't drive as good as the Model 3 Performance, IMO of course. And the Model 3P gets something like 120 MPGe on top that, a nearly 600 HP car.

That's why we buy EV's. Just an all around better driving experience. I'm not knocking those who chose ICE, I'm just giving my reasons why I've chosen EV and am not going back

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 09-02-24 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-02-24, 01:48 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

For the most recent year with full data (2022), 54.23% of the electricity generated/consumed in California came from renewable / clean sources. 45.77% from fossil, with the vast majority (79.48%) of that being natural gas. Only 2.15% came from coal, and the vast majority of that (95.57%) was imported.
Old 09-02-24, 02:10 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I've posted this over a dozen times at this point, EVs charged via coal power plants are still cleaner.
But it’s still pollution and still using FFs, pretty counterproductive.. You could have a much larger carbon footprint than I do. If you live in Canada I’d say you do simply from your heating bills. How big is your house? Do you have kids? You probably have way more trash each week than I do if so. How big is your home and how many people live in it?

Old 09-02-24, 02:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

But it’s still pollution and still using FFs, pretty counterproductive.. You could have a much larger carbon footprint than I do. If you live in Canada I’d say you do simply from your heating bills. How big is your house? Do you have kids? You probably have way more trash each week than I do if so. How big is your home and how many people live in it?
I would dare to say hybrid buyers are way more "environmentally conscious" then EV buyers. There was a guy on here who always posted articles on how greener hybrids are, and Toyota has funded a bunch of researchers to write papers on this.

If you want to frame this properly, EV's use less energy, and have a smaller footprint than gasoline cars, which waste about 70 or 80 percent of their energy in heat, thus why they have huge radiators. So even if you are charging from a power source fueled by coal or oil, you are still using way less energy. The average EV burns about 1 gallon of gasoline for every 120 miles, which means overall you are using more than 50 percent less energy than it's gasoline counterpart. That mean less pollution, even from a coal or oil burning power source. Now if you don't really care (which I'm not saying), than you just don't care, but it doesn't change this fact.

But again back to why we buy EV's, it all boils down for people like me to performance, and the buttery smooth drivetrain and experience
Old 09-02-24, 03:57 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I would dare to say hybrid buyers are way more "environmentally conscious" then EV buyers. There was a guy on here who always posted articles on how greener hybrids are, and Toyota has funded a bunch of researchers to write papers on

But again back to why we buy EV's, it all boils down for people like me to performance, and the buttery smooth drivetrain and experience
I agree that it is a personal preference, or should be.

I hate to be a broken record and this isn’t to you specifically but how many jets are above the continental USA at any moment? How many million dollar gigantic construction equipment are there guzzling diesel fuel at any workday moment around the country?

Old 09-02-24, 04:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I agree that it is a personal preference, or should be.

I hate to be a broken record and this isn’t to you specifically but how many jets are above the continental USA at any moment? How many million dollar gigantic construction equipment are there guzzling diesel fuel at any workday moment around the country?
Oil powers most of the world at this time, and I believe it's there for a reason. The only real way to cut our dependency on it is a combination of solar, nuclear power, wind, and hydro where possible. About 80 percent of my energy in the summer is Solar. Nuclear of course is controversial, but it's clean for the most part, and provides abundant energy. Problem in California is we have earthquakes, which could damage a reactor if a major one ever hit
Old 09-02-24, 05:38 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

And how many straw man arguments from people who have zero actual interest in the environment, or lithium extraction, or cobalt mining or whatever FUD they post about, until they self-radicalized on Facebook mom groups?
Old 09-02-24, 06:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Oil powers most of the world at this time, and I believe it's there for a reason. The only real way to cut our dependency on it is a combination of solar, nuclear power, wind, and hydro where possible. About 80 percent of my energy in the summer is Solar. Nuclear of course is controversial, but it's clean for the most part, and provides abundant energy. Problem in California is we have earthquakes, which could damage a reactor if a major one ever hit
The Earth is what 5B years old? Plenty of oil. Centuries of it. More every day. The air is clean, cars are cleaner than ever. Planet Earth is gonna be just fine. Human beings existing aren’t even a blip on Earth’s radar big picture wise, I still can’t believe people don’t get it (not you specifically).

Even if the whole planet got nuked head to toe it would recover in a couple hundred thousand years which isn’t a big deal either because there is still about 5 billion years left before the Sun runs out of hydrogen and engulfs the Earth as a Red Giant. THEN we have a problem. Not now, people enjoying and desiring big V8 engines in 2024 for gods sake.

That said I am very pro nuclear! At least in this country.

Watch The China Syndrome if you want a good movie about a nuclear plant disaster. It’s an oldie but goodie!

Old 09-02-24, 06:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think politics is the roadblock. it's that majority of people can't charge at home or work. without that it's either impractical or their other concern is range anxiety (sometimes legit for trips).
I don’t agree. There is a huge chunk of American consumers who simply will not consider an EV for political reasons.

This is a fallacy, that because something doesn’t entirely solve the issue that it isn’t worth doing.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation