EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-24, 06:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Those registration fees are obscene IMO. Ontario now has $0 registration fee for passenger cars.
yup, go doug ford.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You guys pay less tax than I thought. To lower my taxes I have an LLC I use for consulting, otherwise I'll be paying out my nose
that's because (without getting into politics) he's in alberta. see what it's like east.

• There is a clear division between provinces east of the Ontario-Quebec border and those to the west. Amongst the western provinces and Ontario, the marginal provincial rate at the national average income level ranged from 7.70 to 12.75 percent. In Quebec and Atlantic Canada marginal rates are higher, ranging from 13.80 percent in Prince Edward Island to 16.62 percent in Quebec.
https://www.fraserinstitute.org/stud...-across-canada

Originally Posted by swajames
No one has a 60% effective rate. Or even 50%. It's not possible, because of the way tax brackets work.

Federal tax is the same everywhere, and you're not paying more than 37% marginal, and even then only on anything over $650K - so no matter what you earn your effective rate will be (usually considerably) lower.

And even for $1m plus incomes, you're not paying 13% effective at the state level here. You don't get to the top marginal rate until $700K, and the 1% health surcharge only kicks in over $1m.

And that's before you even start to think about tax mitigation.
understood. It's one of those devil is in the detail things. There's a lot of misinformation out there about taxes, and misunderstandings about both brackets and the difference between effective and marginal are usually at the heart of it.
you make it all sound so reasonable. if one earns a fortune then taxes currently, are largely irrelevant in most places. but eventually they will come after you too, but you'll still be ok because they wouldn't want to do anything that affect politicians corrupt incomes. however the projected $68Bn deficit there might have something else to say.

canada recently enacted a 2% "carbon tax" on almost everything and they have convoluted 'credits' for provincial and federal sales taxes, but the current ruling party is almost certainly going to be tossed out next election.

i've lived in uk, canada, and now the u.s. i certainly wouldn't live in uk or canada again, and not most states in the u.s.
Old 09-04-24, 06:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
yup, go doug ford.

that's because (without getting into politics) he's in alberta. see what it's like east.

i've lived in uk, canada, and now the u.s. i certainly wouldn't live in uk or canada again, and not most states in the u.s.
Now I know where to go if I ever move to Canada

Europe in general has become pretty fascist, I don't think free speech even exists there. One of my nieces lives in the UK and they are rethinking that

Yep, I wouldn't live in most states in the US either 🤣. I would live in Florida though, but don't know if I could handle the summers
Old 09-04-24, 07:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Europe in general has become pretty fascist, I don't think free speech even exists there.
Correct, you can go to jail for bad words. Absurd.

Here where we do have that protection, the obvious keeps most people in line—-you can say what you want but you ARE NOT free from consequences of your free speech.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (09-04-24)
Old 09-04-24, 08:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Correct, you can go to jail for bad words. Absurd.

Here where we do have that protection, the obvious keeps most people in line—-you can say what you want but you ARE NOT free from consequences of your free speech.
At least you don't go to jail. Sure you can be fired, shadow banned, humiliated, but you don't go to jail 🤣
Old 09-04-24, 08:12 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

Hang on a minute. People absolutely have freedom of speech in the UK and Europe. You’re just as free to criticize government there as you are here. But what we saw recently was racially motivated hatred. There was an incident in the north of England where a teen stabbed and murdered girls at a dance class. There were immediate falsehoods posting on unmoderated social media, specifically twitter, claiming that the murderer was an illegal immigrant, a Muslim asylum seeker, and inciting anti immigrant violence. The killer wasn’t an immigrant, wasn't seeking asylum, wasn't a Muslim - but was black. But twitter racists don’t care about the details. One of them, the wife of a conservative councillor, plead guilty just yesterday to inciting racial hatred. She called for people to burn hotels housing immigrants to the ground.

she posted:

”Mass deportation now, set fire to all the ****ing hotels full of the bastards for all I care … If that makes me racist, so be it.”

it does, and she’s facing a custodial sentence. Deservedly so. The riots she and others incited caused a lot of harm. And it was all based on a lie.

don’t misrepresent consequences for a lack of freedom of speech.

And maybe try to understand issues before you post about them.

Last edited by swajames; 09-04-24 at 08:27 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by swajames:
Blaze876 (09-05-24), Lwerewolf (09-04-24), Mike728 (09-05-24)
Old 09-04-24, 08:17 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Hang on a minute. People absolutely have freedom of speech in the UK and Europe. You’re just as free to criticize government there as you are here. But what we saw recently was racially motivated hatred. There was an incident in the north of England where a teen stabbed and murdered girls at a dance class. There were immediate falsehoods posting on unmoderated social media, specifically twitter, claiming that the murderer was an illegal immigrant and inciting anti immigrant violence. The killer wasn’t an immigrant, but was black. But twitter racists don’t care about the details. One of them, the wife of a conservative councillor, plead guilty just yesterday to inciting racial hatred. She called for people to burn hotels housing immigrants to the ground.

she posted:

Mass deportation now, set fire to all the ****ing hotels full of the bastards for all I care … If that makes me racist, so be it.”

don’t misrepresent consequences for a lack of freedom of speech.

And maybe try to understand issues before you post about them.
I wasn't talking about that. Violent behavior should never be free. There are certain things you can't criticize, I can't get into that here, for many reasons. When we meet, we can discuss it at that time
swajames (09-04-24)
Old 09-04-24, 08:23 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 557 Likes on 376 Posts

There are worse things than being in a high tax bracket... like being broke 🤣
I wanna be in the highest tax bracket ever!!!!!!!!!!
The following 2 users liked this post by JeffKeryk:
AMIRZA786 (09-04-24), swajames (09-04-24)
Old 09-04-24, 08:33 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
I wanna be in the highest tax bracket ever!!!!!!!!!!
Haha so would we all. I'm happy where I am, I feel totally blessed. I know a few extremely wealthy people, and I don't see their wealth making them happy, if I'm being honest. But I am certain I don't want to be poor either
JeffKeryk (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24, 02:30 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

What forum is this? What brand home chargers do you guys use? I almost bought an Emporia charger. Well I did order it but cancelled it. I use an Autel.
Old 09-05-24, 06:21 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

Veering way too close to the political. Get back on topic
Old 09-05-24, 06:57 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 680 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
What brand home chargers do you guys use?
Should be obvious, but:

The following 2 users liked this post by Mike728:
BayeauxLex (09-05-24), JeffKeryk (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24, 07:30 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
What forum is this? What brand home chargers do you guys use? I almost bought an Emporia charger. Well I did order it but cancelled it. I use an Autel.
I have an Electrify Home, I bought it when I leased my Polestar. I use an adapter that came with my Tesla to charge

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 09-05-24 at 08:24 AM.
BayeauxLex (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24, 11:44 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,321 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Veering way too close to the political. Get back on topic
Asking one more time (posts removed)
LeX2K (09-05-24)
Old 09-05-24, 01:32 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

I was at the park yesterday just sitting and a nice looking professional guy decked out in a suit plugged his Audi in and took his dog for a walk, at first I thought he was just charging and was a little confused trying to figure it out.

Say he walks his dog for 30 mins assuming he’s on lunch (he had to be, was in a suit minus the jacket)… is there or is there not a meaningful gain in range from him doing that? My guess would be he has a garage with a charger at home.
Old 09-05-24, 01:34 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

Was it a free charger? I've been guilty of using the free chargers even if I don't really need it for a better spot + a top off during lunch
BayeauxLex (09-05-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation