EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-24, 03:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Lets not say people are biased because they disagree with you. I would argue Jason Camisa is biased because his publication was pushing EVs very hard as AJT has pointed out.

Somebody who truly appreciates an M3 or M4 isn't going to care that a Model 3 is cheaper. A Toyota Camry is also cheaper...its meaningless as the cars are not comparable.
LoL OK, lets compare a Toyota Camry to a Model 3 performance. I'm not getting into this stupid argument with you
Old 09-25-24, 04:03 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Forgot to mention LC500 at a Lexus event, so hopefully I covered all my bases of cars over $100k

And out of all those cars, I prefer the Model 3 Performance, and that's all I have to say on the subject, thank you

The following users liked this post:
DanTeSlagX (Yesterday)
Old 09-25-24, 04:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
LoL OK, lets compare a Toyota Camry to a Model 3 performance. I'm not getting into this stupid argument with you
I'm not saying a Camry is comparable, BUT a Camry is more similar to a Model 3 than a Lexus LC is, for example. Both are family sedans.

And out of all those cars, I prefer the Model 3 Performance, and that's all I have to say on the subject, thank you
Because you aren't somebody who appreciates what those cars bring to the table as sports cars, there's nothing wrong with that but its the case. A Lamborghini Huracan? Come on lol

For a "daily driver" I would rather drive a Model 3, but to say that a Model 3 makes a Lamborghini Huracan obsolete is ridiculous. Its a family sedan mass made in huge numbers...a Lamborghini is a special car very few people ever get to drive let alone own.

I would choose my S Class over all of those cars too (and did), but that doesn't mean those cars are "obsolete", they just aren't my thing. Somebody that wants that kind of car isn't going to want my S Class...or a Model 3.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-25-24 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-25-24, 04:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm not saying a Camry is comparable, BUT a Camry is more similar to a Model 3 than a Lexus LC is, for example. Both are family sedans.

Because you aren't somebody who appreciates what those cars bring to the table as sports cars, there's nothing wrong with that but its the case. A Lamborghini Huracan? Come on lol

For a "daily driver" I would rather drive a Model 3, but to say that a Model 3 makes a Lamborghini Huracan obsolete is ridiculous. Its a family sedan mass made in huge numbers...a Lamborghini is a special car very few people ever get to drive let alone own.

I would choose my S Class over all of those cars too (and did), but that doesn't mean those cars are "obsolete", they just aren't my thing. Somebody that wants that kind of car isn't going to want my S Class...or a Model 3.
You're picking a word I used and taking it almost personal. I'm not saying any of these cars are obsolete in a literal sense. But for me personally, they are as the Model 3 Performance fills all my needs...it performs well, it's comfortable, efficient, needs almost no maintenance, is a great daily driver and doesn't cost $100k. If it didn't exist, than I would probably get a car like an M3 or M4 Comp. And I've driven and spent time with both cars, so Im not taking out my ***

I read your posts and know you are knowledgeable, and I respect your choices, so I'm asking the same from you as well
Old 09-25-24, 04:54 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You're picking a word I used and taking it almost personal. I'm not saying any of these cars are obsolete in a literal sense. But for me personally, they are as the Model 3 Performance fills all my needs...it performs well, it's comfortable, efficient, needs almost no maintenance, is a great daily driver and doesn't cost $100k. If it didn't exist, than I would probably get a car like an M3 or M4 Comp. And I've driven and spent time with both cars, so Im not taking out my ***

I read your posts and know you are knowledgeable, and I respect your choices, so I'm asking the same from you as well
Your choices and making blanket statements are different things. When you say something is "irrelevant" because the Model 3 P exists thats not the same as saying that they aren't something you would choose over it. You are saying they make no sense because the Model 3 P exists in general, which is just not at all true.

Would you really get an M3 or M4 Competition if the Model 3P didn't exist? Because you've never had anything like that before...in fact you don't have a Model 3 P...you have a Model Y and a Polestar which is nowhere near as high performance and a Ioniq 5...why not replace one of them with the M3 P if thats the sort of car you really want? If you really loved and wanted a sports car or supercar you would not choose a Model 3 over a Lamborghini Huracan.

It just seems to me like the sort of cars you are saying you wouldn't get are cars that in fact you would just never choose in the first place. What you seem to want are practical but fun EV family vehicles and theres nothing wrong with that.

Its like me saying "if my S Class didn't exist I would probably get a 911 or a Corvette ZR1"....no I wouldn't lol. I would get some other comfortable sedan because thats what I like. You would get something similar to what you have bought which is what you like.
Old 09-25-24, 05:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Your choices and making blanket statements are different things. When you say something is "irrelevant" because the Model 3 P exists thats not the same as saying that they aren't something you would choose over it. You are saying they make no sense because the Model 3 P exists in general, which is just not at all true.

Would you really get an M3 or M4 Competition if the Model 3P didn't exist? Because you've never had anything like that before...in fact you don't have a Model 3 P...you have a Model Y and a Polestar which is nowhere near as high performance...why not replace one of them with the M3 P if thats the sort of car you really want? If you really loved and wanted a sports car or supercar you would not choose a Model 3 over a Lamborghini Huracan.

It just seems to me like the sort of cars you are saying you wouldn't get are cars that in fact you would just never choose in the first place. What you seem to want are practical but fun EV family vehicles and theres nothing wrong with that.

Its like me saying "if my S Class didn't exist I would probably get a 911 or a Corvette ZR1"....no I wouldn't lol
​​​​​​ Well you're totally not correct. In the past I was reluctant to buy German cars because of a bias I had for them which I admit, but as I drove some of my friends cars and talked them, I began to respect them. In 2021 I was researching the LC500, but than switched my interests to EV'S after test driving a few. Had I not moved to EV'S, I would probably have an LC500, or possibly an M2 or M3 comp today. But now I would never go back to an ICE car, doesn't matter make or Model.

You're making way to many assumptions about me. But personally, I don't really care, you can keep doing that. But I will say that if EV'S disappeared off the face of the earth and I had to go back to ICE, I couldn't live with a regular car and would buy something like an M2 Comp which performs well and is practical at the same time
Old 09-25-24, 05:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

​​​​​​ But now I would never go back to an ICE car, doesn't matter make or Model.
This is really all you need to say, so you comparing any ICE isn't going to make any sense because you would never consider one over an EV, your outlook is not objective. For somebody like me who likes both EVs and ICE cars its not that simple. There are real, concrete reasons why a Model 3 (or really any EV) can not really replace a high end ICE sports car.
AMIRZA786 (09-25-24)
Old 09-25-24, 05:25 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This is really all you need to say, so you comparing any ICE isn't going to make any sense because you would never consider one over an EV, your outlook is not objective. For somebody like me who likes both EVs and ICE cars its not that simple. There are real, concrete reasons why a Model 3 (or really any EV) can not really replace a high end ICE sports car.
​​​​​​ This doesn't mean I don't respect ICE, just to be clear. I still love cars like the LC500, M2, M3 etc. and would drive them any chance I get. And yes if I bought a car specific for the track, it would most likely not be an EV
Old 09-25-24, 05:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For a luxury or daily car, I think EVs are great. For a performance car though I wouldn’t choose an EV.

I also wouldn’t choose a performance car to daily.
Old 09-25-24, 05:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

For a luxury or daily car, I think EVs are great. For a performance car though I wouldn’t choose an EV.

​​​​​​I totally agree on the luxury part when it comes to Tesla. Maybe there will come a day when I'll buy a luxury car, but I prefer performance at this point. And the reason I like the new Model 3 Performance is it gives the straight line performance I like, but it's smooth as a daily driver, and they have really refined the suspension. And I love the seats. I know it's not for everyone, but it's exactly the car I want this stage of my life. And I can just pay cash for it and be done with it for awhile
Old 09-25-24, 05:47 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 69 Likes on 60 Posts

‘I think manufacturers have upped their game because of EVs. The Corvette for instance, weighs 3366lbs, that is fun to drive and makes handling a dream. Then there is the incredible sound it makes. Convertible/targa top. Napa leather. Incredibly customizable options. Choose between half EV hybrid or all new V8 or existing V8. . Electric cars still have a long way to go IMO before they match some of the designs you see out there. (New Corvette is not really my type of design but it is growing on me).

one EV that I did think was super awesome was the Hyundai Ionic N

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-25-24 at 05:55 PM.
BayeauxLex (09-25-24)
Old 09-25-24, 05:56 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

The traditional delineation between luxury, daily and performance cars has never been more blurred. What used to be clear and obvious to the enthusiast really isn't any longer. There's no question at the broad periphery, you're not going to go around a track in a mainstream EV as fast as you could in say a 911 but then again that EV is quieter and smoother than most luxury cars. But if you were to draw the Venn diagram for luxury, performance and daily drivability, the EV is going to have the biggest intersections.
The following 3 users liked this post by swajames:
bitkahuna (Yesterday), Hameed (09-25-24), Margate330 (09-25-24)
Old 09-25-24, 07:24 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
The traditional delineation between luxury, daily and performance cars has never been more blurred. What used to be clear and obvious to the enthusiast really isn't any longer. There's no question at the broad periphery, you're not going to go around a track in a mainstream EV as fast as you could in say a 911 but then again that EV is quieter and smoother than most luxury cars. But if you were to draw the Venn diagram for luxury, performance and daily drivability, the EV is going to have the biggest intersections.
I can't tell anymore by looking at a car how fast it should be.
Old 09-25-24, 07:27 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
I can't tell anymore by looking at a car how fast it should be.
I'll give you a hint. If it's a Camry, Accord, Civic (excluding Type R), Altima or Sentra, chances are the owner thinks it's fast. If it's a Chevy Bolt, get out of it's way 🤣
Old 09-25-24, 07:30 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 409 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
I think this is very well said.
The following 2 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
AMIRZA786 (09-25-24), swajames (09-25-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation