EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:00 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I don't think anybody will deny the M3P is fast, or that it's great at its intended purpose. It's going to have many satisfied customers.

I disagree with Bit's dismissiveness towards the "feels" aspect of sports car ownership. I understand that you don't like cars to make noise, but that doesn't mean a silent cars is objectively superior to a noisy car(or vice versa). It just means that's your preference. A lot of sports car owners do enjoy the sound and the feel of driving a high performance ICE vehicle. I'm certainly not yet ready to leave that behind. I'm probably going to put an exhaust on my car so I can hear it a little more with the windows down. I love downshifting and passing people on the freeway and hearing the engine growl. I'm not some luddite commoner because of that.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

I think we should all take a step back and not make this a "this is better than that car" or "a silent vehicle is a better experience". Because we are EV enthusiasts and this is an EV thread, you're going to get the silent treatment. Get it? Nevermind 😂.

I don't think any of us here discount what other drivers want from their vehicles. Coming from ICE myself, I fully understand and appreciate the sound and feel of a good engine. And as much as I love cars like the Model 3 Performance, I still love cars like Bit's LC, M2, M3, M4. And I'm being totally truthful when I say if I had the room and disposable income, I would love to have one of these as a weekend car. The Model 3 Performance just happens to check all the boxes in looking for in a daily
BayeauxLex (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I think we should all take a step back and not make this a "this is better than that car" or "a silent vehicle is a better experience". Because we are EV enthusiasts and this is an EV thread, you're going to get the silent treatment. Get it? Nevermind 😂.
I don't think anybody has been doing that, certainly I have not been. I'm a car enthusiast and that includes EVs, but the reality is that EVs are a very different experience and there are certain subsets of the auto industry where they don't provide the same or a comparable experience, and high performance sports cars are one of those areas.

An EV 911 for instance would not be the same at all...which is why Porsche has not included the 911 in its switchover to EVs.

The Model 3 Performance just happens to check all the boxes in looking for in a daily
Fabulous daily, I agree.
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
AMIRZA786 (Yesterday), BayeauxLex (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:56 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I can't agree with this at all. A BMW i7, Mercedes EQS, Rolls Royce Spectre, these are incredible luxury cars that deliver incredible driving experiences. The i7 is simply the most luxurious driving vehicle I have ever driven. Its a better luxury car than my S580, the only reason I didnt get one was travel to WV, and the challenging styling.

Its still not the same thing. An EV can never deliver the kind of visceral feel and thrill you get out of something like an M3. It just isn't the same. Thats not to say its not worthwhile, but if you're somebody who wants a car with that kind of visceral mechanical feel, no EV is going to match that.

"Feels" are a huge part of what makes a car like that what it is. Its all about "feels"

Depends on the car and the user, but its not a car you see 4 of at every light is the point, thats part of why its not the same. Anyways your LC isn't ugly, there are a lot of beautiful cars out there. I also wouldn't call the Model 3 "great looking", its okay looking, kinda awkward and ho hum sedan looking. I consider the Model Y ugly IMO.

I don't live in europe, so what happens in europe doesn't mean much to me. In any event, how many Lexus LC taxis are there?

Uh huh, I'll believe it when I see it.

Yeah I was behind the times on that one!

I agree 100% the current C63 is not a competitor. Their engine choice ruined it, and sales have totally gone through the floor. It does however still create visceral feeling and mechanical engagement.

They're just different...you're going to have a hard time convincing people that love high end sports cars that they should buy an EV because in that sort of car the EV really doesn't deliver a comparable or better experience. Mainstream cars, luxury cars are a different story. EVs make great driving appliances, but when it comes to them being engaging machines that attract somebody who wants a sports car experience its a different matter. Certainly no 4 door mainstream looking sedan like a Model 3 is going to do that no matter how fast it is. Even an M3 or E63 or S63 or M5 etc doesn't really replace the kind of experience you get in a true 2 door sports car.
I Think you, I and others seem to just have a love for the mechanical feel and sound of things. I have a hard time understanding how EV lovers don't believe that the sound and feel of an ICE makes the experience so much better. I guess EV lovers are on the other spectrum where they don't understand why we want "noise" and the shifting of gears because of its inefficiency.

I was just in the market for a new to me daily driver. I narrowed it down to a Cayenne from 2011-2018. I ended up getting a 2014 Cayenne GTS. My wife wanted me to get the updated model 2015-2018. But those GTS came with a v6 turbo. Friends ask why I didn't go with a turbo v8 then since I don't want a v6, but I think the NA V8 sounds so much better. So for me I didn't care about straight line speed, I chose sound over speed....something some EV owners will never understand lol.

Some of us just seem to appreciate the mechanical feel of things.

BayeauxLex (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by Blaze876
I Think you, I and others seem to just have a love for the mechanical feel and sound of things. I have a hard time understanding how EV lovers don't believe that the sound and feel of an ICE makes the experience so much better. I guess EV lovers are on the other spectrum where they don't understand why we want "noise" and the shifting of gears because of its inefficiency.

I was just in the market for a new to me daily driver. I narrowed it down to a Cayenne from 2011-2018. I ended up getting a 2014 Cayenne GTS. My wife wanted me to get the updated model 2015-2018. But those GTS came with a v6 turbo. Friends ask why I didn't go with a turbo v8 then since I don't want a v6, but I think the NA V8 sounds so much better. So for me I didn't care about straight line speed, I chose sound over speed....something some EV owners will never understand lol.

For me it depends on the car. In a luxury sedan where smooth and quiet is the name of the game, EV is great. Mainstream car where you'd probably be driving something with a V6 or a turbo 4? Bring on the EV. When we're talking about a sports car though, like a Porsche or a Lexus LC or a MB SL or a Corvette...the feel and sound of the engine and the powertrain are a huge part of the experience of driving such a car...take the LC...drive a hybrid LC500h and then a V8 LC500. The same car goes from totally underwhelming to incredible.

Then even outside the EV powertrain vs high performance ICE...theres the fact that the Model 3 is a nondescript pedestrian sedan...its just not comparable at all. To me this doesn't have to be an either/or...
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

No, we come from the same world as you, we're not some alien species . Our focus just shifted to a new reality we like better
Old Yesterday, 05:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So here is another reality that you should really consider. Everything is going either Hybrid, or BEV. Even high end sports cars are getting electric assist. Regular passenger commuters are downsizing to four cylinders. In the next 5 or 10 years from now, you'll only be able to buy either a hybrid or an EV. In those high end sports cars where you crave that exhaust and visceral road feel, it will all be artificial. Even my friends M4 Comp I spent the day with, the exhaust was piped into the cabin, and the road feel was, let's say created. The cars you are talking about will be a thing of the past, and only available to those who held on to their older cars
bitkahuna (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

I bought my F Type V8S primarily because of the barely legal exhaust noise and my Porsche 911s all had sports exhaust or aftermarket exhausts.

So these things aren’t lost on me. But they’re not relevant to the discussion about the place for EV powertrains on ostensibly luxury vehicles. As Steve said the i7 is the best 7 Series model and if MB were to put a similar powertrain in the S Class it would be the best S Class.

Last edited by swajames; Yesterday at 06:03 PM.
Hameed (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 05:55 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
So here is another reality that you should really consider. Everything is going either Hybrid, or BEV. Even high end sports cars are getting electric assist. Regular passenger commuters are downsizing to four cylinders. In the next 5 or 10 years from now, you'll only be able to buy either a hybrid or an EV. In those high end sports cars where you crave that exhaust and visceral road feel, it will all be artificial. Even my friends M4 Comp I spent the day with, the exhaust was piped into the cabin, and the road feel was, let's say created. The cars you are talking about will be a thing of the past, and only available to those who held on to their older cars
We're very painfully aware of that. We mourn what we're losing on that front.

I'll be in an EV someday for sure. I also plan to have my family's 67 Firebird 400 restored for that analog craving.

AMIRZA786 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
We're very painfully aware of that. We mourn what we're losing on that front.

I'll be in an EV someday for sure. I also plan to have my family's 67 Firebird 400 restored for that analog craving.
And I'm with you, but we'll all adapt the way we always do. At least you'll have a 67 Firebird to drown your sorrows in
Old Yesterday, 06:08 PM
DanTeSlagX
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Then he's nuts IMO. But...an M3 is not a $100k+ sports car. I would take an M3 over a Model 3 or Y every day of the week though, way more interesting and desirable car IMO, and an entirely different car. Nobody is cross shopping the two.

My question is, would you have ever bought a $100k+ car in the first place? My guess is no...and I would also question how many $100k+ sports cars you've driven. A car of that caliber offers SO much more to the driver than simply being fast in a straight line and handling well.

This is part of what frustrates me about Tesla hype, its a great car but its not THE best car ever made and it doesn't outclass EVERY car the way you're saying it does. Its not a 911. Its not an S Class. Its not an Aston Martin. The list goes on and on. What it is is an incredibly well packaged and fun family sedan or family crossover that makes a much more appealing daily driver than most other things you can buy for the price. Why can't that be enough? When you make crazy claims like "its makes $100k sports cars irrelevant and my friend is going to trade his 911 in on one", those statements are just absurd.

Teslas kinda ruin cars in general for you. You really start to stop caring about other “nice” cars when it makes everything else feel like a tractor. The cars are very easy to love with, silent and smooth. They are tin cans, but are getting better, and the seats are great and you get the driving position of an air cooled 911 in the 3.

While I’d love a 911, the new performance BMW’s don’t do a thing for me. The main thing that interest me in gas cars now are mainly overbuilt, cushy, attention-to-details tanks like J-Vin Lexus vehicles.

I still hang out with a bunch of the old import and street race guys from my youth. About half of them have teslas or EV’s now and have been completely recalibrated out of their performance gassers. We’re talking extremely well done hellcats, AMG’s, GT-R’s etc. all sold and they guys drive performance EV’s and some slow rock crawler or are restoring a B-Body wagon etc.

I’ll add that for all the mesmerizing performance, most EV’s fall on their face if you get on it at high speed. Most of them are direct drive with no gearing, so flooring it at 80mph is quick but you’ll have to know what other vehicles are capable of. I wouldn’t be surprised if a LC500 could pull a model 3 P from a highway roll (but the M3P will smoke anything but exotics and purpose built drag machines from a stop or anything under 30mph)

but yeah, I don’t have any interest in 80% of the cars that used to make me hard.
The following 2 users liked this post by DanTeSlagX:
AMIRZA786 (Yesterday), LeX2K (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 06:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DanTeSlagX
Teslas kinda ruin cars in general for you. You really start to stop caring about other “nice” cars when it makes everything else feel like a tractor. The cars are very easy to love with, silent and smooth. They are tin cans, but are getting better, and the seats are great and you get the driving position of an air cooled 911 in the 3.

While I’d love a 911, the new performance BMW’s don’t do a thing for me. The main thing that interest me in gas cars now are mainly overbuilt, cushy, attention-to-details tanks like J-Vin Lexus vehicles.

I still hang out with a bunch of the old import and street race guys from my youth. About half of them have teslas or EV’s now and have been completely recalibrated out of their performance gassers. We’re talking extremely well done hellcats, AMG’s, GT-R’s etc. all sold and they guys drive performance EV’s and some slow rock crawler or are restoring a B-Body wagon etc.

I’ll add that for all the mesmerizing performance, most EV’s fall on their face if you get on it at high speed. Most of them are direct drive with no gearing, so flooring it at 80mph is quick but you’ll have to know what other vehicles are capable of. I wouldn’t be surprised if a LC500 could pull a model 3 P from a highway roll (but the M3P will smoke anything but exotics and purpose built drag machines from a stop or anything under 30mph)

but yeah, I don’t have any interest in 80% of the cars that used to make me hard.
Lol that last sentence 🤣
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

lol.

Luxury means something that isn't essential, not absolutely necessary. Which means it can be many things about a car it's pretty snobbish IMO to proclaim only certain aspects of a car make it a luxury vehicle.
Old Yesterday, 06:43 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

EVs remind me of cookie cutter homes. Yes cookie cutter homes are nice, modern, simplistic, and somewhat uniform but some buyers are interested in homes (cars) that have some character. Downshifts, rev matching, heel to, grabbing another gear, exhaust sounds, turbo noises, screaming V8s, hitting VTEC, even crackles and pops are imo examples of character. It’s all personal preference and doesn’t make the other inferior.
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Anyone know why there are dips during charging.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation