EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-24 | 05:38 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Lol I grew in SoCal with Cookie cutter homes, and you are so off. Using that analogy, every Camry, Corolla, Civic Accord, heck, every car is Cookie cutter with different colors
Um, every Camry, Corolla, Civic and Accord ARE cookie cutter. They're appliances. Nothing wrong with that, but they're not designed to ignite passion, they're designed to be excellent basic transportation, and nearly all iterations over the years have hit that mark. That doesn't necessarily mean it extends to all cars.
Old 09-27-24 | 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
What car is everywhere and also unique?
Something doesn't necessarily have to be unique to have character, but it makes it a lot easier. Cars that sell well that have character, in EVs I would say the Ioniq 5 and 6... I think Teslas did have character at one point but they are so ubiquitous now that they don't, and the Highland Model 3 makes it look more mainstream which I prefer but it also smooths over its character.
Old 09-27-24 | 06:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
Um, every Camry, Corolla, Civic and Accord ARE cookie cutter. They're appliances. Nothing wrong with that, but they're not designed to ignite passion, they're designed to be excellent basic transportation, and nearly all iterations over the years have hit that mark. That doesn't necessarily mean it extends to all cars.
Extends to Model 3s and Model Ys though. Agree all cars are not that way.
Old 09-27-24 | 06:49 AM
1111GS

Cybertruck has to be the most wrapped vehicle ever.
You don't wonder why?
... can heat or cool the car at any time vehicle can be anywhere.
You know that this is not new, right? Certain things on Tesla that people praise have been in automobile industry for years. I could do this with my 2015 GS.
Originally Posted by SW17LS
Extends to Model 3s and Model Ys though. Agree all cars are not that way.
You remind me a post I recently read online... this dude tried to make points to prove that his recently purchased MYP was a luxury vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (09-27-24)
Old 09-27-24 | 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1111GS
You remind me a post I recently read online... this dude tried to make points to prove that his recently purchased MYP was a luxury vehicle.
Yeah, no lol
Old 09-27-24 | 08:05 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
I was actually going to go back to my post and change it... but got lazy and said nah, nobody will notice
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (09-27-24)
Old 09-27-24 | 08:40 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

My 2015 GS had an under 10% success rate with remote start. It also had to burn gas to keep the car cool. Being able to reliably start the AC or heater is much easier to do in an EV than most other cars
The following 2 users liked this post by Allen K:
AMIRZA786 (09-27-24), swajames (09-27-24)
Old 09-27-24 | 08:48 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You don't wonder why?

You know that this is not new, right? Certain things on Tesla that people praise have been in automobile industry for years. I could do this with my 2015 GS.

Only someone who doesn't know what a luxury car is would post something like that, or they are trolling. Model Y buyers fully understand they are buying an appliance. But unlike other appliances, it's fun to drive, smooth and fast. This morning dude in an F-150 didn't want to let me in as the freeway lane was merging and gunned it, so I put my foot down and left him wondering what happened. I would say it's the best family appliance I've ever owned. Cruising to work at 80 MPH it's about as quiet as a Camry V6. The only other vehicle I own that has more utility is my Sienna, but that's only because it seats 8 people and can hold a ton of cargo if you put the seats down. This whole year I've driven it maybe 4 times.

I personally think Tesla should continue on it's current course of refining it's current lineup. Probably a refresh of the Model S and X are in order. They should stay out of the luxury market and leave that for other automakers. Just my opinion
Old 09-27-24 | 09:07 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

You don't wonder why?
Because people love the truck and love to customize it. Aftermarket world and detail shops are going heavy into Cybertruck.
You did remote start no matter where your GS was? Really?
It's okay to let other people enjoy their cars.
Only someone who doesn't know what a luxury car is would post something like that, or they are trolling. Model Y buyers fully understand they are buying an appliance. But unlike other appliances, it's fun to drive, smooth and fast. This morning dude in an F-150 didn't want to let me in as the freeway lane was merging and gunned it, so I put my foot down and left him wondering what happened. I would say it's the best family appliance I've ever owned. Cruising to work at 80 MPH it's about as quiet as a Camry V6. The only other vehicle I own that has more utility is my Sienna, but that's only because it seats 8 people and can hold a ton of cargo if you put the seats down. This whole year I've driven it maybe 4 times.

I personally think Tesla should continue on it's current course of refining it's current lineup. Probably a refresh of the Model S and X are in order. They should stay out of the luxury market and leave that for other automakers. Just my opinion
Define luxury for me.
Old 09-27-24 | 09:15 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Because people love the truck and love to customize it. Aftermarket world and detail shops are going heavy into Cybertruck.

You did remote start no matter where your GS was? Really?

It's okay to let other people enjoy their cars.

Define luxury for me.
LS460. I've driven Model S and X, and they don't come near the refinement of this model in ride and build. I don't care how you slice the pie, how much I love Tesla, I didn't buy my Model Y expecting luxury. Refinement and smooth drive train yes, luxury no
Old 09-27-24 | 09:30 AM
swajames
Pole Position

One of the things Tesla should do/could do IMO is offer at least the option of a significantly upgraded interior in the S and X. With some extra noise isolation and properly premium interior materials I think Tesla would sell a lot more of them, and do so at a premium.
Old 09-27-24 | 09:35 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
One of the things Tesla should do/could do IMO is offer at least the option of a significantly upgraded interior in the S and X. With some extra noise isolation and properly premium interior materials I think Tesla would sell a lot more of them, and do so at a premium.
This is what I meant when I said they should continue to refine. They did a really good job with the new Model 3 isolating it from outside noise, better seats and materials, this should also apply to the Model S and X
Old 09-27-24 | 09:40 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

This is what I meant when I said they should continue to refine. They did a really good job with the new Model 3 isolating it from outside noise, better seats and materials, this should also apply to the Model S and X
So Model 3 Highland is a luxury vehicle? And to that point luxury is a soft ride, not acceleration or tech or safety features.
Old 09-27-24 | 09:53 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So Model 3 Highland is a luxury vehicle? And to that point luxury is a soft ride, not acceleration or tech or safety features.
I'm not a luxury buyer, but I know a few, and they wouldn't consider it to be luxury by any stretch of the imagination. Different people have different view points of what luxury is, for example one friend of mine skipped the Model 3 and leased a BMW i4 because it had better seats, options like leather and carbon fiber trim, and a HUD.

I've driven both the new Model 3 LR and Performance, and that are awesome cars, but not what I would consider luxury. If I wanted luxury, I would probably be looking at the i5
Old 09-27-24 | 10:29 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I'm thinking luxury cars start at $80k and up these days.

Maybe more. 🤓

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation