EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-24, 11:17 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Wow, nice discussion. Good points on both ends.

First, I had plans to drive a CT today but we are getting the remnants of the world's weirdest Hurricane so I skipped it. This storm came out of nowhere and apparently it's now flooding Atlanta, we aren't too far up.

A. @SW17LS I agree about the Model 3 even though I like the refresh and the car in general. It's a little too appliancey. They are stacked on the lots all the same color and it just looks kinda plain. I think them being that way, yet being able to smoke 98% on the road are things owners either love or don't care about. But again, I really like the update.

B. Some of you are forgetting that a really refined ICE car, the smoothness isn't just from the engine.... it's everything down to the volume ****. Yes, there is nothing like EV torque... but a car like an old Lexus LS460 AMZIRA brought up is so smooth you can do the glass of water trick on the engine. Add in the suspension and everything else that went into that car whose focus of life is to be buttery, and the match is much more legit. It's not even really a match, but then again you can compare anything.

C. "I don't care about 80% of cars that used to make me hard.." First that's hilarious, and couldn't be more accurate. I don't care about cars anymore and don't know offhand much about them in terms of power which is why I get corrected, Steve corrected me bc I had the year of an S-Class generation off.... that would NEVERRRRRR happen but now the S-Class is hybrid only, I've lost interest. (Can we please leave it at that? No offense to anyone or you....) Me having basically anything about an S-Class wrong? Years ago I would have slapped myself or deserve to have been slapped.

D. ​​​@FrankReynoldsCPA Big engines, ICE only will be back. I don't want to say much more bc that's been beaten to death. It's already happening. That's not a diss on EVs at all, it's the free market pushing back on all this fuel economy crap. People are gonna hold on to cars for longer than ever, they already are.

I really wan't trying to make that an EV vs ICE comparison at all, just some thoughts off my head. Smoothness doesn't just come from propulsion.
Old 09-27-24, 11:39 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Because people love the truck and love to customize it. Aftermarket world and detail shops are going heavy into Cybertruck.
You did remote start no matter where your GS was? Really?
From what I've seen, people wrap their cars because they think it will improve the look.
I can't say for sure because it's more than 10 years now but yes I could start it from my app. Here is what I found on google... "The Lexus Enform Remote app allows you to remotely start your Lexus vehicle from anywhere in the world." I got so excited and even made one of my past avatars with the Start Icon. The point is that technology is not new and available everywhere now, nothing special about Tesla. BMW can either start from from app remotely or directly with fob. Mercedes can not do directly with fob but can be done with app remotely. And yes, it can be done from anywhere. Lol.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Only someone who doesn't know what a luxury car is would post something like that, or they are trolling. Model Y buyers fully understand they are buying an appliance. But unlike other appliances, it's fun to drive, smooth and fast. This morning dude in an F-150 didn't want to let me in as the freeway lane was merging and gunned it, so I put my foot down and left him wondering what happened. I would say it's the best family appliance I've ever owned. Cruising to work at 80 MPH it's about as quiet as a Camry V6. The only other vehicle I own that has more utility is my Sienna, but that's only because it seats 8 people and can hold a ton of cargo if you put the seats down. This whole year I've driven it maybe 4 times.

I personally think Tesla should continue on it's current course of refining it's current lineup. Probably a refresh of the Model S and X are in order. They should stay out of the luxury market and leave that for other automakers. Just my opinion
Now you're talking. I don't remember getting this sense from you for some reasons. As you see in this thread, there are more people that think MY is a luxurious car.

Originally Posted by Allen K
My 2015 GS had an under 10% success rate with remote start. It also had to burn gas to keep the car cool. Being able to reliably start the AC or heater is much easier to do in an EV than most other cars
I don't recall having issue with mine and certainly not see complaint (at least not at your claimed rate) about this on 4GS but the point is not about how well it worked. The point is some brag about a technology that was available more than a decade ago. If you compare to similar aged cars, I don't think there's one that's not reliable. The only good thing about Tesla is... it's free. Speaking of reliability... I think people have more phone (as key) with Tesla than other brands. Many carry a card key because they're afraid the phone may not work.
Old 09-27-24, 11:56 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Now you're talking. I don't remember getting this sense from you for some reasons. As you see in this thread, there are more people that think MY is a luxurious car.
I've said this numerous, numerous times. I believe it's an appliance, but purpose built for fun as well as being practical. I've never said different than this. And I know a s h i t load of Y owners, and none that I know think any different. Lex just may have a different interpretation of luxury than mine. For some it's leather seats, for some it's a quiet smooth ride. I knew someone who thought his Camry XLE was a luxury car because it was loaded, had sunroof, V6 and leather seats. To me the XLE is a nice, comfortable car, but it's not a luxury car, but that's just my interpretation
Old 09-27-24, 12:00 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,581 Posts

From what I've seen, people wrap their cars because they think it will improve the look.
I can't say for sure because it's more than 10 years now but yes I could start it from my app. Here is what I found on google... "The Lexus Enform Remote app allows you to remotely start your Lexus vehicle from anywhere in the world." I got so excited and even made one of my past avatars with the Start Icon. The point is that technology is not new and available everywhere now, nothing special about Tesla. BMW can either start from from app remotely or directly with fob. Mercedes can not do directly with fob but can be done with app remotely. And yes, it can be done from anywhere. Lol.
Come on, you can't run the engine when the car is in your garage or in an underground parking lot. So no you were not able to heat or cool your GS anywhere at any time.
Old 09-27-24, 12:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Come on, you can't run the engine when the car is in your garage or in an underground parking lot. So no you were not able to heat or cool your GS anywhere at any time.
You can run a car in a parking garage.... ?
Old 09-27-24, 12:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

I wouldn't run my car in my garage, but then I wouldn't need to...because my garage keeps the car from needing to be heated or cooled, but I wouldn't hesitate to run it in a parking garage. Again though, its not necessary as the car isnt hot or cold.
Old 09-27-24, 12:32 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I wouldn't run my car in my garage, but then I wouldn't need to...because my garage keeps the car from needing to be heated or cooled, but I wouldn't hesitate to run it in a parking garage. Again though, its not necessary as the car isnt hot or cold.
You mean with the garage door open?

It doesn't take long to get bad in a garage with it closed. Sometimes I leave mine closed to start up the SL and hear the German high torque starter and V8 exhaust even better. It gets bad fast lol.
Old 09-27-24, 12:34 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

First, I had plans to drive a CT today but we are getting the remnants of the world's weirdest Hurricane so I skipped it. This storm came out of nowhere and apparently it's now flooding Atlanta, we aren't too far up.

I really wan't trying to make that an EV vs ICE comparison at all, just some thoughts off my head. Smoothness doesn't just come from propulsion.
Hope the storm didn't do any damage - I was in Knoxville area all last weekend for the Morgan Wallen concert and knew there was a big storm coming there this week; which then happened to tie itself to the hurricane. You guys got a lot of rain..

I believe this will be the first Tesla you have driven (correct me if wrong). And it might be the first EV you've driven (again, could be wrong). I am interested to hear your thoughts on the experience. I want to drive a CT because I want to feel the drive-by-wire experience, and I want my son to check it off his bucket list. I wonder how it would be to have that be the first Tesla driving experience for someone (mine was a Model S).

Having owned an LS 400, LS 430, and LS460L, I am definitely in the camp that no Tesla offers a luxury experience like that (or an S class, etc). I do believe there are EV's that offer this level of luxury, but I just haven't experienced those or even sat in them myself (yet).

Conversely, the ownership experience that I have had with any of those cars compared to the ownership experience of the Tesla is very different. I really love never having to worry about maintenance. Expensive luxury cars at some point require expensive repairs.
Old 09-27-24, 12:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
You mean with the garage door open?

It doesn't take long to get bad in a garage with it closed. Sometimes I leave mine closed to start up the SL and hear the German high torque starter and V8 exhaust even better. It gets bad fast lol.
I mean like a parking garage, not my home garage. I wouldn’t run an engine in my home garage.

With an EV why would you need to precondition it in an inside garage anyways?
Old 09-27-24, 12:39 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 815 Likes on 569 Posts

I don't recall having issue with mine and certainly not see complaint (at least not at your claimed rate) about this on 4GS but the point is not about how well it worked. The point is some brag about a technology that was available more than a decade ago. If you compare to similar aged cars, I don't think there's one that's not reliable. The only good thing about Tesla is... it's free. Speaking of reliability... I think people have more phone (as key) with Tesla than other brands. Many carry a card key because they're afraid the phone may not work.
My usability was so bad I logged it for a few months so I could get a refund from Lexus corporate. I was in an office with full bars of service, the car sat outside in an open air parking lot with full bars of service. I loved the car but hated Enform. The original Model S came out in 2012. I'd wager that it out performed better than other cars at the time. Sure it's become commonplace now, but I've used it in my EVs more than my non-EVs

I carry a key card because phones die. Better to have it take up a slot in my wallet vs. trying to bum a charge off someone
Old 09-27-24, 01:00 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

You did remote start no matter where your GS was? Really?

Define luxury for me.
I can start (pre condition/ pre heat) my Rav via app from anywhere at any time even in a closed garage because it defaults to EV mode on every startup.
Old 09-27-24, 01:06 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS

With an EV why would you need to precondition it in an inside garage anyways?
This screenshot of my Tesla app was taken like 5 minutes ago (3:57p eastern). It's overcast and not overly hot by FL standards right now. My car is parked in my garage. Interior cabin is 91 degrees. This is why you'd use it...! I use the climate control portion of the app all the time - I never get in the car without it being at the temp I've either set on the app or done the "keep" feature.

With you living in MD, you get hot summers and cool/cold days and nights in the winter. Wouldn't you want to get into a car that's always at the exact temp you want? With heated (or cooled seats on the new 3, S, X) ready for you and your passengers? You can do that all from the app.
Old 09-27-24, 01:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Hope the storm didn't do any damage - I was in Knoxville area all last weekend for the Morgan Wallen concert and knew there was a big storm coming there this week; which then happened to tie itself to the hurricane. You guys got a lot of rain..

I believe this will be the first Tesla you have driven (correct me if wrong). And it might be the first EV you've driven (again, could be wrong). I am interested to hear your thoughts on the experience. I want to drive a CT because I want to feel the drive-by-wire experience, and I want my son to check it off his bucket list. I wonder how it would be to have that be the first Tesla driving experience for someone (mine was a Model S).

Having owned an LS 400, LS 430, and LS460L, I am definitely in the camp that no Tesla offers a luxury experience like that (or an S class, etc). I do believe there are EV's that offer this level of luxury, but I just haven't experienced those or even sat in them myself (yet).
No damage, thanks! Just windy and rainy.

And I'll take whatever I can get my hands on re: Tesla test drive!! Doesn't have to be a CT.

I'd probably prefer a Model 3 with better visibility!!
Old 09-27-24, 01:13 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

One more screenshot. Interior temp went up 2 degrees from prior screenshot and is currently at 93 degrees, while the exterior temp is 90 degrees. I have no interest getting into a 93 degree interior. You also see here how I can turn on each individual seat warmer or heat the steering wheel (obviously useless given the heat, but in other parts of the country this is useful). All I have to do is hit the "on" button for the climate and it'll go to 71 degrees (where it's set) and the app will send me a notification when the car hits that temp (in this case it needs to cool 22 degrees, which would probably take about 3 minutes).
The following 3 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
AMIRZA786 (09-27-24), BayeauxLex (09-27-24), LeX2K (09-27-24)
Old 09-27-24, 02:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
This screenshot of my Tesla app was taken like 5 minutes ago (3:57p eastern). It's overcast and not overly hot by FL standards right now. My car is parked in my garage. Interior cabin is 91 degrees. This is why you'd use it...! I use the climate control portion of the app all the time - I never get in the car without it being at the temp I've either set on the app or done the "keep" feature.

With you living in MD, you get hot summers and cool/cold days and nights in the winter. Wouldn't you want to get into a car that's always at the exact temp you want? With heated (or cooled seats on the new 3, S, X) ready for you and your passengers? You can do that all from the app.
I have a camera which senses temp in my garage, on the hottest day the temperature within the garage never gets over 85-88 degrees, and the cars are always very comfortable inside, in the 70s at the most. In the winter the coldest it gets in there is about 65 degrees, and same thing the cars are never cold inside.

I have never gotten into any of my cars in my home garage and felt the interior was not a comfortable temp.

I would look at the insulation in your garage...

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation