EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-24, 02:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
No damage, thanks! Just windy and rainy.

And I'll take whatever I can get my hands on re: Tesla test drive!! Doesn't have to be a CT.

I'd probably prefer a Model 3 with better visibility!!
You should drive the best one first, drive a Model S.
Old 09-27-24, 02:45 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have a camera which senses temp in my garage, on the hottest day the temperature within the garage never gets over 85-88 degrees, and the cars are always very comfortable inside, in the 70s at the most. In the winter the coldest it gets in there is about 65 degrees, and same thing the cars are never cold inside.

I have never gotten into any of my cars in my home garage and felt the interior was not a comfortable temp.

I would look at the insulation in your garage...
So you are saying that your garage temp is 85-88 degrees but the interior temp of your car is "in the 70's at most"? OK.. that is some voodoo stuff going on inside those cars then. It's literally impossible for the interior of a car to be cooler than the temperature of the environment its sitting in.

This is one of those odd cases where I feel like it's just natural to say "Oh yeah, that would be nice to have a car at a preset temperature any time I want". Instead I'm advised to check the insulation in my garage.

The following 3 users liked this post by jrmckinley:
Hameed (09-27-24), LeX2K (09-27-24), Mike728 (09-27-24)
Old 09-27-24, 02:49 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
So you are saying that your garage temp is 85-88 degrees but the interior temp of your car is "in the 70's at most"? OK.. that is some voodoo stuff going on inside those cars then. It's literally impossible for the interior of a car to be cooler than the temperature of the environment its sitting in.

This is one of those odd cases where I feel like it's just natural to say "Oh yeah, that would be nice to have a car at a preset temperature any time I want". Instead I'm advised to check the insulation in my garage.
Hey man, just check the insulation in your garage and be done with it

Yep just as I suspected, that feature Tesla (and other EV makers) gave us to pre-cool and preheat our cars...useless

BTW, current temperature of my cars interior

The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
BayeauxLex (09-27-24), Hameed (09-27-24)
Old 09-27-24, 02:56 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Have to agree with this - there is no way the difference would be that great between the car's interior temperature and the exterior environment in a closed garage.

My garage is not insulated very well and in the winter, it may be a degree or two warmer in the car compared to the garage. Same thing in the summer.
Old 09-27-24, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL, how could you possibly be offended because I feel my cars don't need to be cooled or heated before I get in them parked inside my garage...

All I can tell you is when I get in my cars when they are parked in my garage, they are always very comfortable inside and don't need to be heated or cooled for me to be comfortable. I can pre-condition the Pacifica without the engine running via the app while its plugged in and it has never occured to me to do that because I don't need to. Don't know what to tell ya...

Parked outside then absolutely I use remote start all the time.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Yep just as I suspected, that feature Tesla (and other EV makers) gave us to pre-cool and preheat our cars...useless
Who said that? I didn't. All I said was my cars stay a comfortable temp in my garage to where I don't feel the need to pre heat or pre cool them.

Your cars sit outside and like you showed its 146 degrees in there, so of course in that situation that feature is incredible.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-27-24 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-27-24, 03:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hameed
Have to agree with this - there is no way the difference would be that great between the car's interior temperature and the exterior environment in a closed garage.

My garage is not insulated very well and in the winter, it may be a degree or two warmer in the car compared to the garage. Same thing in the summer.
I'm not measuring the temp inside the car...I'm just saying how it feels.

Also depends on how long the car has been sitting there...and how long its been 85 degrees. In my experience at least with my cars they feel cooler inside than the ambient temp in the garage. They are pulled in with the temp set to 70 and it takes time for the temp inside to rise when there isn't any solar load.

These are the current temps in my house, garage is 80 degrees.

Old 09-27-24, 03:56 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 815 Likes on 569 Posts

Even in the summer when the outside temp is in the high 90s, my cars don't get higher than 80-85 inside the garage. Not sure why Steve's temp claims are being challenged.
The following users liked this post:
SW17LS (09-27-24)
Old 09-27-24, 03:59 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

LOL, how could you possibly be offended because I feel my cars don't need to be cooled or heated before I get in them parked inside my garage...

All I can tell you is when I get in my cars when they are parked in my garage, they are always very comfortable inside and don't need to be heated or cooled for me to be comfortable. I can pre-condition the Pacifica without the engine running via the app while its plugged in and it has never occured to me to do that because I don't need to. Don't know what to tell ya...

Parked outside then absolutely I use remote start all the time.

Who said that? I didn't. All I said was my cars stay a comfortable temp in my garage to where I don't feel the need to pre heat or pre cool them.

Your cars sit outside and like you showed its 146 degrees in there, so of course in that situation that feature is incredible.
I was joking
Old 09-27-24, 04:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I was joking
Please, you were being condescending about what I said.
Old 09-27-24, 04:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,522 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
... some buyers are interested in homes (cars) that have some character. Downshifts, rev matching, heel to, grabbing another gear, exhaust sounds, turbo noises, screaming V8s, hitting VTEC, even crackles and pops are imo examples of character. It’s all personal preference and doesn’t make the other inferior.
noises to me don't equal 'character' they're just noises. some people 'get off' on noises. i would rather there weren't any.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Anyone know why there are dips during charging.
it's your poor little battery saying "i need a rest!"

I don’t think a Model 3 has much character, personally. Not because it’s an EV it’s just mass produced, they’re everywhere and all identical…etc.
s-classes are everywhere and pretty identifcal in beverly hills and new york city. doesn't mean they lack 'character' does it?

but i get your point that with tesla's model 3 being a very fixed set of features, no attempt at being luxurious (not m 3 is 'premium' at least) makes it less interesting to someone such as yourself who loves high end luxury features. but plenty of people absolutely love them, because of their unique set of features compared to other cars, and their low cost of ownership and utility, plus their unmatched smoothness with great torque useful in real life driving.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Character is a personal preference you didn't write the book on what it is.
exactly right.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Some of you are forgetting that a really refined ICE car, the smoothness isn't just from the engine.... it's everything down to the volume ****. Yes, there is nothing like EV torque... but a car like an old Lexus LS460 AMZIRA brought up is so smooth you can do the glass of water trick on the engine. Add in the suspension and everything else that went into that car whose focus of life is to be buttery, and the match is much more legit. It's not even really a match, but then again you can compare anything.
first this forum isn't about ice vehicles. and besides comparing an lexus flagship with an ev appliance makes no sense.

All I can tell you is when I get in my cars when they are parked in my garage, they are always very comfortable inside and don't need to be heated or cooled for me to be comfortable.
same here. granted i don't have super cold winters.
Old 09-27-24, 04:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
noises to me don't equal 'character' they're just noises. some people 'get off' on noises. i would rather there weren't any.
Not sure why you bought a car that one of the selling points is the awesome soundtrack of the V8 tuned for the best sound.

s-classes are everywhere and pretty identifcal in beverly hills and new york city. doesn't mean they lack 'character' does it?
I wouldn’t say an S Class has a ton of character, no.

first this forum isn't about ice vehicles. and besides comparing an lexus flagship with an ev appliance makes no sense.
The conversation came from the claim that the M3 Performance made $100k+ sports cars and supercars irrelevant.
Old 09-27-24, 04:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Please, you were being condescending about what I said.
Didn't like the taste of your own medicine huh?
Old 09-27-24, 04:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Couldn’t possibly care less lol. Just pointing out that I never said what you attributed to me.

If anybody needs an example of the inability to accept anything but praise about these cars it’s the defensiveness over me suggesting my cars don’t need this ability to precondition in my own garage!
Old 09-27-24, 04:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Couldn’t possibly care less lol. Just pointing out that I never said what you attributed to me.

If anybody needs an example of the inability to accept anything but praise about these cars it’s the defensiveness over me suggesting my cars don’t need this ability to precondition in my own garage!
I never disputed that, I don't think you were lying. I just saw an opportunity to pile on, have a little innocent fun, and took it
Old 09-27-24, 05:14 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

it's your poor little battery saying "i need a rest!"
Why do you still own V8 car? Do you wear noise cancelling headphones while your drive?

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation