EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-24, 09:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're approaching troll status. may be just give it a rest. you've made your points, over, and over but there's no need to trash all those who really like teslas.

i think i said my cars are comfortable to get into in my garage, not that they're 10 degrees cooler, or 50 degrees hotter like amirza's outdoor oven.

i agree with you though that car door seals and windows are very good these days (except early teslas, lol) so cars would take quite a bit of time if ever to get to similar temps INSIDE a garage because there's no sunlight (as far as heat) usually penetrating through glass. even then, windows have become better and better at blocking transmitted heat.
It was sitting directly in the sun for almost 8 hours in 90 F heat, I just didn't mention that
Old 09-28-24, 09:51 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Yes! We've arrived at what luxury actually is. Do you need preconditioning? Nope you'll get from point A to B just the same without. Luxury feature.
There you go 😁 It's a feature thank God is there, I can't live without our it. Polestar and Ioniq 5 it as well
Old 09-28-24, 09:56 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,581 Posts

Every vehicle should have cabin overheat protection meaning if the car detects occupant(s) it makes sure no one is literally cooked to death. Not a luxury feature.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (09-28-24)
Old 09-28-24, 10:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you're approaching troll status. may be just give it a rest. you've made your points, over, and over but there's no need to trash all those who really like teslas.
Excuse me, I made a simple statement that I don’t need to precondition my car in my own garage and I get attacked for it and one member even admitted they were openly trolling me personally. But yeah, I’m trolling lol.

I never thought for one moment me saying my cars don’t need preconditioned in my own garage would be a provocative comment

i think i said my cars are comfortable to get into in my garage, not that they're 10 degrees cooler, or 50 degrees hotter like amirza's outdoor oven.
Which is exactly what I said. I even said I wasn’t a thermometer I just know they feel comfortable inside and cooler than the air in the garage itself.

i agree with you though that car door seals and windows are very good these days (except early teslas, lol) so cars would take quite a bit of time if ever to get to similar temps INSIDE a garage because there's no sunlight (as far as heat) usually penetrating through glass. even then, windows have become better and better at blocking transmitted heat.
Exactly.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
You claimed your car interior was 15-18 degrees (or more cooler than the temp of your garage). I said that's not possible. I'm not offended, angry, or any other type of emotion. I'm just pointing out that something you said can't be possible. You'll disagree with me, but you can go back and read your posts where you say your garage temp is 85-88 and your car interior is 70 at most. You've had almost 58,000 posts on this forum and never been wrong. Think about that.
I said “in the 70s”…and then I also said that I wasn’t a thermometer that I was just going by how they felt to me.

And I am wrong plenty. I am not however wrong about how my own cars feel in my own garage.

And if you could get into a vehicle that is always at a comfortable temp that you control with the touch of a button, I have a hard time believing that 100% of people would not find that desirable. Correction. 99.999999% because you are the outlier. It's not just a Tesla feature. It's a feature I've never had until getting a Tesla, they've perfected the user experience of it, and I like it. I would have a very hard time buying another car without it and I wish my QX80 had it, but I think I missed it by one model year.
And I said that yes that’s a great feature I just don’t need it in my own garage because the cars always feel comfortable in there when I get in them. That’s all.

PS - your engine is running in the image you posted, so the AC is on. Also, it's 77 outside and 79 in your garage. I'd check the insulation.
The car is running because that’s the only way the get the app to give an interior temp reading. It remote started it in the garage to take that screen shot and shut it off.

And of course Mr Logic and Science the garage is warmer than the outside air in the morning because the heat that was built up during the day yesterday has not dissipated yet.
Old 09-28-24, 10:08 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

to be clear this is what I said. I did not say they are never more than 70 inside. I said in the 70s, may be 78, I dunno.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have a camera which senses temp in my garage, on the hottest day the temperature within the garage never gets over 85-88 degrees, and the cars are always very comfortable inside, in the 70s at the most. In the winter the coldest it gets in there is about 65 degrees, and same thing the cars are never cold inside.

I have never gotten into any of my cars in my home garage and felt the interior was not a comfortable temp.

I would look at the insulation in your garage...
Old 09-28-24, 10:12 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

If you weren't offended what I said wouldn't make you angry, it clearly does. Its a feature on a Tesla I know and you guys have a hard time accepting every one of those features isn't incredible and desired by everybody.

My cars are perfectly comfortable and don't need to be preconditioned in my own garage, sorry. If you would take the anger out of it you would understand why logically and scientifically that makes sense. A car is not fully open to the air surrounding it, its sealed up pretty well. So, when its cool inside it takes a long time for it to reach the same temperature as the air surrounding it. Its the same reason why AMIRIZA's car can be 149 degrees inside out in the sun when its probably 90 degrees max outside his house. The car is sealed and the solar load heats up the sealed in air inside it like an oven.

If my car sat in the garage long enough it would eventually be the same temp as the garage air around it, but it doesn't sit there undriven long enough really for that to ever happen.

Pulled the temps this morning, my wife was out in the Mercedes last night so I couldn't do it. Garage is 79 degrees, car is 74 degrees inside having sat there for 12 hours. I set the climate control to 72, so in 12 hours it only got 2 degrees warmer inside than it was when it was shut off. So at that same rate of temp increase absent any solar load it would take it closer to 48 hours to reach a temp in the low 80s and it never sits there that long.

House:

Car interior temp:

Its going to be 83 today, so I will post more readings. My guess is the garage will get into the low 80s and the car will stay about the same temp inside and the delta between the two can be as much as 10 degrees.

Apparently Alan, AJT and bit's cars also "defy science and logic" but we wont talk about that:

You spent a lot of energy defending your position, you really didn't have to if what you are saying is true, and even if it's not, who cares. Jrmckinley should have just left it alone IMO, but as Tesla owners, it can be frustrating to always hear how cheap our cars are, how tech they implement nobody wants (yet it's among the top best selling cars), how putting everything in the screen is stupid, I could go on and on. I can't even express my opinion without getting grief. And all from non Tesla owners. I personally don't care, but at a certain point, it does start to touch a nerve. Anyway, I hope we can all move on
LeX2K (09-28-24)
Old 09-28-24, 10:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You spent a lot of energy defending your position, you really didn't have to if what you are saying is true, and even if it's not, who cares. Jrmckinley should have just left it alone IMO, but as Tesla owners, it can be frustrating to always hear how cheap our cars are, how tech they implement nobody wants (yet it's among the top best selling cars), how putting everything in the screen is stupid, I could go on and on. I can't even express my opinion without getting grief. And all from non Tesla owners. I personally don't care, but at a certain point, it does start to touch a nerve. Anyway, I hope we can all move on
In this instance I never said that technology wasn’t great, all I said was I don’t need it specifically in my garage. Tesla has a lot of great technology, but they also make a lot of design decisions and try and sell them as being better when in reality they are designed to save cost. Loss of turn signal stalks and physical gear selectors. One screen for everything. Tesla isn’t alone there though.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-28-24 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-28-24, 10:27 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 426 Likes on 283 Posts

to be clear this is what I said. I did not say they are never more than 70 inside. I said in the 70s, may be 78, I dunno.
"in the 70s at the most"
Old 09-28-24, 10:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

"in the 70s at the most"
Yes, in the 70s. Not 70. There are 9 more degrees warmer that are still in the 70s.
Old 09-28-24, 10:29 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

My response is not specific to Tesla, and it has nothing to do with being a Tesla owner. The feature is offered on many brands of cars.

Amirza - out of curiosity, why do you not use the cabin overheat protection feature on your car? I think mine defaults to 100 degrees.
Old 09-28-24, 10:31 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I think you’re being a little bit sensitive. In this instance I never said that technology wasn’t great, all I said was I don’t need it specifically in my garage. Tesla has a lot of great technology, but they also make a lot of design decisions and try and sell them as being better when in reality they are designed to save cost. Loss of turn signal stalks and physical gear selectors. Tesla isn’t alone there though.
I'm not sensitive at all, I was just politely pointing out to you what a few others here have done, that's all. You can say anything you want about Tesla, it's not like I haven't read multiple negative posts in other threads and forums, I'm used to it.

At one point I was making negative posts towards hybrids, a member pointed this out to me, and I stopped realizing I was being insensitive. You're not reading the room is all I'm saying
Old 09-28-24, 10:31 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Yes, in the 70s. Not 70. There are 9 more degrees warmer that are still in the 70s.
"At the most" means it includes the 60's and below as well.
Old 09-28-24, 10:34 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

My response is not specific to Tesla, and it has nothing to do with being a Tesla owner. The feature is offered on many brands of cars.

Amirza - out of curiosity, why do you not use the cabin overheat protection feature on your car? I think mine defaults to 100 degrees.
​​​​​​ Well the answer is, I really should
Old 09-28-24, 10:37 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,581 Posts

If a person says something stupid just admit it and move on. It is in fact liberating to admit fault instead of doubling down.

Here's an example of me being epically wrong, when I first saw the Model 3 especially the interior I thought it was a sick joke. I hated it. Why? Because my brain was wired to only accept convention, a car interior had to be a certain way with certain controls or it was no good. You'd think I would have learned my lesson in lieu of the original iPhone. I was completely wrong, Tesla has mastered the art of on screen controls the whole system is dead simple to use.

As for a mechanical shifter control on an EV it makes zero sense, you are taking physical movement and converting it to electronic signals anyway. The only reason to keep it is to appeal to tradition.
​​​​​​ Well the answer is, I really should
Code for you won't lol.
Old 09-28-24, 10:45 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Mike728 (09-28-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation