EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-24, 03:43 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Lol this is an EV sub forum...or am I missing something?

How Bad Is Tesla's Full Self Driving Feature, Actually? Third-Party Testing Paints Dark Picture

https://www.motortrend.com/news/tesl...testing-video/
Old 09-28-24, 03:48 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

How Bad Is Tesla's Full Self Driving Feature, Actually? Third-Party Testing Paints Dark Picture

And which auto makers even achieved close to FSD has without $100k worth of sensors covering the whole car? I'm waiting....

Waymo has been working on self driving forever, and I don't know if you've ever seen one of their vehicles, but I wouldn't want one of those monstrosities in my driveway

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 09-28-24 at 03:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (09-28-24)
Old 09-28-24, 05:39 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Personally I just leave the cabin overheat protection at the default setting.
well you live in the frozen tundra. just kidding.

The winter is a different story - I always precondition the car and that too is mainly so that the battery is warm enough that I get full regen using the brakes as it feels weird when there's much less brake regen.
wow, i wasn't aware that regen isn't as effective if the battery is cold. maybe more an issue there - at what outside temp (and below) do you precondition?

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
To be fair, the ICE owners on this forum have to constantly hear about how their cars are obsolete and inferior to the only acceptable car brand,
Tesla.
well it is called 'ev chat' for a reason. meaning - most of us here are not interested in talking about, or comparing with ice vehicles or even hybrids.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I even asked my wife, have you ever gotten into your car in the garage and felt like you wished you could have preheated or precooled it and she said no.
well she does drive a minivan and isn't much of an enthusiast and obviously VERY tolerant.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Waymo has been working on self driving forever, and I don't know if you've ever seen one of their vehicles, but I wouldn't want one of those monstrosities in my driveway
well it's not for personal ownership, it's a taxi.
AMIRZA786 (09-28-24)
Old 09-28-24, 05:47 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 323 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
wow, i wasn't aware that regen isn't as effective if the battery is cold. maybe more an issue there - at what outside temp (and below) do you precondition?
Anything below 50F/10C and brake regen is impacted. Reason why regen is ineffective is actually very simple - the battery is just too cold to be "charged" at anything other than a very slow rate - hence the drop in regen. It's to protect the battery till it's warm enough.
bitkahuna (09-28-24)
Old 09-28-24, 07:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

well she does drive a minivan and isn't much of an enthusiast and obviously VERY tolerant.
Weren’t we asked to move on from this? Drop it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 09-28-24 at 07:58 PM.
Old 09-28-24, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Found a solution to my shifter issue in a Tesla!

Old 09-28-24, 08:25 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,581 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
Anything below 50F/10C and brake regen is impacted. Reason why regen is ineffective is actually very simple - the battery is just too cold to be "charged" at anything other than a very slow rate - hence the drop in regen. It's to protect the battery till it's warm enough.
At -38°C there is zero regen and at that temperature the hydraulic brakes are super stiff at first.
Old 09-28-24, 09:00 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

As a Vegas resident, -38 degrees is my definition of hell on Earth.
The following 2 users liked this post by FrankReynoldsCPA:
BayeauxLex (09-28-24), SW17LS (09-28-24)
Old 09-29-24, 06:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,523 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Throttle House disagrees with Jason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s95xMWkqk-c
finally watched this... two bored reviewers thrash a road car around a track and find it's not good enough to be flogged around a track. they don't really like any aspect of the car. they're entitled to their opinions.

however, as steve has said, the model 3 performance is not a 911. it's a faster model 3 with an adaptive suspension. having a 'track mode' though the brakes shouldn't overheat so easily and the suspension shouldn't bottom out. the car is a track 'wannabe'.

I don't think anybody will deny the M3P is fast, or that it's great at its intended purpose. It's going to have many satisfied customers.

I disagree with Bit's dismissiveness towards the "feels" aspect of sports car ownership. I understand that you don't like cars to make noise, but that doesn't mean a silent cars is objectively superior to a noisy car(or vice versa). It just means that's your preference.
i don't believe i said silent cars are objectively superior, lol, it's just my personal preference as you stated. if noisier cars are more appealing i'm sure many are going to love the waves of 3 and 4 cylinder 'screamers' that appear to be coming.

A lot of sports car owners do enjoy the sound and the feel of driving a high performance ICE vehicle. I'm certainly not yet ready to leave that behind. I'm probably going to put an exhaust on my car so I can hear it a little more with the windows down. I love downshifting and passing people on the freeway and hearing the engine growl. I'm not some luddite commoner because of that.
i don't think you're a luddite. i think the ioniq 5 N is a pretty amazing compromise since it can make somewhat realistic engine sounds with fake gear shifts even, lol. i would never use the noise features, but it's fun that they did it.

Old 09-29-24, 06:06 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

As a Vegas resident, -38 degrees is my definition of hell on Earth.
Uh yeah.

I watch cold start videos from Russia and Canada all the time where it's cold like that..
Old 09-29-24, 06:40 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Uh yeah.

I watch cold start videos from Russia and Canada all the time where it's cold like that..
I don’t like hot weather. Constant heat with the air conditioning running is something I don’t like. A hot day but a cool/cold night is great

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 09-29-24 at 07:03 AM.
Hameed (09-29-24)
Old 09-29-24, 07:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i don't believe i said silent cars are objectively superior, lol, it's just my personal preference as you stated. if noisier cars are more appealing i'm sure many are going to love the waves of 3 and 4 cylinder 'screamers' that appear to be coming.
This is just trolling. You know the difference.
Old 09-29-24, 08:44 AM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

I stopped reading the article after it said FSD is being sold for 5 figures on the EV lineup. It's actually 8K option.
Old 09-29-24, 08:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by RXSF
I stopped reading the article after it said FSD is being sold for 5 figures on the EV lineup. It's actually 8K option.
It’s amazing to me how people can’t just double check their facts in 40 seconds before they publish stuff.
Old 09-29-24, 09:09 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I don’t like hot weather. Constant heat with the air conditioning running is something I don’t like. A hot day but a cool/cold night is great
Lol well, you live in Canada.

My spouse is from near Canada and when we first met I noticed like half of the houses up there don't have central HVAC. You won't find a place in Knoxville with no air conditioning when it's hot.

I love the snow and winter things, but it would get old fast. Like it does my spouse and family, everyone up there hates winter etc etc.

About the EV "preconditioning" talk, here's how I see it. In a house it doesn't matter, the garage stays warm enough or cool enough on hot or cold days. Half of the time I leave the windows and/or top down in there. It's fine. No need to even fuss, by the time you're out of the driveway the CC has it perfect in there.

However, my BIL and spouse have a detached 2 car garage (it's nice and everything) where it DOES get freezing cold. So if they had EVs they'd definitely use that feature. If your garage is attached to your house you don't need it.

Last edited by AJT123; 09-29-24 at 09:12 AM.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation