EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-23, 03:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Probably not, and that's great.

My issue with the 7 series isn't EV at all (in fact, I like that you can't tell them apart).... it's that the thing is a movie theater rather than a car. Just so over the top. Have you seen the ads? It's just ridiculous. But for others it's just what they want, so good.
It's not my cup of tea, I wouldn't buy one, but it drives better than any BMW I've driven, including my friends 2021 M3 I recently drove. The way it drives would make me forgive everything else about it, including it's eye candy screens
Old 11-29-23, 03:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I mean I guess. It's been pretty cold here this week, abnormally cold.

Like I said I just finished a tank of fuel 100% stop and go driving at 14.2 MPG, rated for 12. It's cold out.
I looked at your weather, it hasn't been that cold. We're talking about real winter weather with temps in the 20s and below
Old 11-29-23, 03:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
It's not my cup of tea, I wouldn't buy one, but it drives better than any BMW I've driven, including my friends 2021 M3 I recently drove. The way it drives would make me forgive everything else about it, including it's eye candy screens
This guy had one at my reunion in CA this summer, I could tell it was EV but an untrained eye would have no idea. I like that.
Old 11-29-23, 03:19 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Really starting to love the precondition feature on our Y. The cabin is nice and toasty when we get in it in the morning. It's parked in our garage, so not something we could do with our old vehicle.
Originally Posted by Mike728
In you garage?
Open the garage
Old 11-29-23, 03:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

This guy had one at my reunion in CA this summer, I could tell it was EV but an untrained eye would have no idea. I like that.
It basically shares the same platform as the ICE version. Here's a test drive and review I did

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ev-...-bmw-i7-3.html
The following users liked this post:
AJT123 (11-30-23)
Old 11-29-23, 03:38 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I gotta say, driving the Pacifica in EV mode makes me want an EV for sure
Having a PHEV, I’m happy to have gas as well. No range anxiety although I drive my PHEV like an EV

Thats just not possible. If she gets 43 MPG she has a Lexus hybrid, and having had a Toyota Hybrid myself, the fuel economy loss is MORE than 20%.
We have 3 Toyota hybrids, in the winter, the mpg is lower. 20% lower, I’m not sure. We do not use remote start.
Old 11-29-23, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Having a PHEV, I’m happy to have gas as well. No range anxiety although I drive my PHEV like an EV
Its not even the saving fuel, its the smoothness and refinement of the EV acceleration. My wife feels the same way, she said to me the other day she doesn't think she could go back to a completely ICE car

We have 3 Toyota hybrids, in the winter, the mpg is lower. 20% lower, I’m not sure. We do not use remote start.
For sure, if you really looked at it I would bet its 20% or more.

Issue with hybrids including PHEVs in the cold is that they don't have heat pumps, so the car has to run the ICE to accomplish cabin heating, while in the summer it may hardly ever have to engage the ICE.
BayeauxLex (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 04:12 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

BMW iM3 Trademark Points To The Future Electric M3 Super Sedan

The carmaker has confirmed the platform to be used by the iM3 can support four electric motors with 1,341 hp

The all-electric version of the next-generation M3 could potentially be named the iM3, as suggested by a new trademark filed by BMW, aiming to distinguish it from the combustion-powered variant with which it will be sold alongside.

We’ve been aware of the carmaker’s intentions to introduce an electric M3 for quite some time. In September, BMW’s product development chief, Frank Weber, confirmed that the electric M3 is set to become a reality within the next four years, coinciding with the launch of the next-generation ICE version. It has now been revealed that BMW recently filed a trademark application for the name ‘iM3’ with both the German Patent and Trade Mark Office and the European Patent Office.”

German magazine Auto Motor und Sport found the trademark applications, noting that the name will provide a clear distinction between the electric M3 and its gas-powered counterpart. What remains uncertain is how distinct the iM3 will look like.

BMW has been seen testing out the car with a camouflaged i4-based development mule but the production model will bear a strong resemblance to the recent Neue Klasse concept as it will be underpinned by the firm’s Neue Klasse platform. In September, Weber disclosed that this platform can accommodate a quad-motor powertrain with the potential of delivering up to 1,341 hp (1,000 kW). While the exact power output for the iM3 remains uncertain, it is anticipated to surpass that of the ICE model.

One key feature of the iM3 will be the customizable powertrain and its various settings. BMW’s product development chief has also mentioned that it will offer rear-wheel-biased driving modes, and the car will have the capability to adjust the power and torque distribution to individual wheels, enabling advanced torque vectoring. There’s even a possibility of a a rear-wheel drive variant with two electric motors being introduced to the series.

For customers who may not be swayed by the remarkable power offered by the iM3, the next-generation M3’s combustion counterpart is anticipated to feature a revised version of the current S58 3.0-liter twin-turbocharged six-cylinder engine that will meet Euro 7 emissions standards.

https://www.carscoops.com/wp-content...Carscoops.webp

https://www.carscoops.com/2023/11/bm...3-super-sedan/
Old 11-29-23, 06:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Garages stay warm enough. It was 20 degrees last night and 58 degrees inside the garage when I backed out and that was with the garage opened for a minute or two while I got in, etc.

My garaged cars aren’t cold to get into to begin with, and the heat comes on almost immediately, by the time I’m at the first intersection near my house.

Parking outside, yes that’s very different. However ICE remote start is great, it’ll crank the heat or A/C.
doesn't matter where the car is... if you want 70, you want 70. if it's 10 degrees in the car obviously it has more work to do to get it to 70 inside.

i'm in FLORIDA and my car is always in the garage at night and this morning it was under 40 degrees outside. certainly warmer in the garage, but i used my app for the first time to pre-heat my ev and i didn't have to open the garage to avoid asphyxiation.

so nice to get in a warm car.

I don’t believe anything in that article. 20% loss in MPG in cold weather? Never in my life. I’ve never noticed cold weather even ever affecting my gasoline range and I’ve been driving for 26 years. Instantly the credibility goes out the window. Plus it’s from the government, that article is complete BS.
Originally Posted by Bob04
I agree. I usually average about 20 mpg in my LS with my driving habits. Sometimes a little better. Never got even close to 16.
i didn't read the article, but perhaps you get a 20% loss in consumption when the engine is started in the cold, but the OVERALL effect once under way isn't anywhere near that much of a loss.

Old 11-29-23, 06:25 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

in other news i had a fun moment on the way home. at a traffic light i was in the 'front' of the line. i punched it pretty good for the chuckle rush of acceleration. before i slowed for the next light this bad *** fire breathing camaro has passed me and stopped at the next light. so i pulled up beside him at the light and thought "right, it's on"

sport mode - foot to the floor when the light went green.

because my car is awd there is NO wheelspin. took off, left the camaro in the dust until we were at about 80 when i backed off and he caught up and passed.

i was laughing at this point and cruised the rest of the way home.

the funniest thing about ev's is them being silent. i call them silent missiles or silent appliances.
The following 4 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (11-29-23), BayeauxLex (11-29-23), bowser (11-30-23), Mike728 (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 06:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in other news i had a fun moment on the way home. at a traffic light i was in the 'front' of the line. i punched it pretty good for the chuckle rush of acceleration. before i slowed for the next light this bad *** fire breathing camaro has passed me and stopped at the next light. so i pulled up beside him at the light and thought "right, it's on"

sport mode - foot to the floor when the light went green.

because my car is awd there is NO wheelspin. took off, left the camaro in the dust until we were at about 80 when i backed off and he caught up and passed.

i was laughing at this point and cruised the rest of the way home.

the funniest thing about ev's is them being silent. i call them silent missiles or silent appliances.
LoL shame on you for racing .

No, glad you are having fun. I find it amusing that sometimes I have to make a quick maneuver or someone doesn't want to let you in and we'll, they find out the hard way. Just be safe out there.

You probably didn't need Sport mode
bitkahuna (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 06:43 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
You probably didn't need Sport mode
with foot to the floor, probably true.

the sport mode just seems to make the accelerator response more responsive.
AMIRZA786 (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 07:05 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Open the garage
Well, we back in, so nope!
BayeauxLex (11-29-23)
Old 11-29-23, 07:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i didn't read the article, but perhaps you get a 20% loss in consumption when the engine is started in the cold, but the OVERALL effect once under way isn't anywhere near that much of a loss.
It’s a 20% loss overall. The loss when starting up and warming up is much higher. If you’re driving in cold temps in the 20s or below though you are losing considerable fuel economy even when underway.
Old 11-29-23, 09:28 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Its not even the saving fuel, its the smoothness and refinement of the EV acceleration. My wife feels the same way, she said to me the other day she doesn't think she could go back to a completely ICE car

For sure, if you really looked at it I would bet its 20% or more.

Issue with hybrids including PHEVs in the cold is that they don't have heat pumps, so the car has to run the ICE to accomplish cabin heating, while in the summer it may hardly ever have to engage the ICE.
My wife is wanting to get back in a hybrid as well due to the smoothness of it. I prefer a NA hybrid

My PHEV has a heat pump. I’ve been running the heat in EV mode along with seat warmer and heated steering wheel.
AMIRZA786 (11-29-23)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation