EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-24, 09:38 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 691 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
About the EV "preconditioning" talk, here's how I see it. In a house it doesn't matter, the garage stays warm enough or cool enough on hot or cold days. Half of the time I leave the windows and/or top down in there. It's fine. No need to even fuss, by the time you're out of the driveway the CC has it perfect in there.

However, my BIL and spouse have a detached 2 car garage (it's nice and everything) where it DOES get freezing cold. So if they had EVs they'd definitely use that feature. If your garage is attached to your house you don't need it.
Maybe where you live, but not everywhere. If your attached garage stays warm when it's below 0, you either have poor insulation between your garage and house, or it has a heater in it.
Old 09-29-24, 10:39 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Maybe where you live, but not everywhere. If your attached garage stays warm when it's below 0, you either have poor insulation between your garage and house, or it has a heater in it.
My garage is part of my house. It’s not a problem. When it was 0 degrees here last winter it didn’t get much below 60 degrees in there. The cars stay safe and like I said half the time if I have windows down I don’t even roll them up when I pull in.

Detached garages are different.
Old 09-29-24, 11:20 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,581 Posts

I keep saying it, heated garage in the salt belt = early rusty death the heating/cooling cycle is ideal to accelerate corrosion. I won't work on cars that live in these conditions.
Old 09-29-24, 11:24 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I keep saying it, heated garage in the salt belt = early rusty death the heating/cooling cycle is ideal to accelerate corrosion. I won't work on cars that live in these conditions.
What if they go to a GOOD carwash with LEGIT undercarriage wash, like every other day?

Surely they exist up there for that exact reason, to help keep rust from taking over?

The amount of rusted cars I see when I go to Rochester is stunning, obviously. My FIL had an old 800 Silverado and finally got rid of it. It was rusted but still okay.
Old 09-29-24, 11:49 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,581 Posts

What if they go to a GOOD carwash with LEGIT undercarriage wash, like every other day?
Then the problem will be even worse you're driving water into everything. Road salt is not just salt it contains chemicals to make it stick to the road you know what that means. This is easy to see, pressure washing doesn't remove all the salt from undercarriage components it requires mechanical action and no one is going to crawl under their car and scrub every time they go to a car wash. Wheel cleaner neutralizes salt if you spray then scrub.
Surely they exist up there for that exact reason, to help keep rust from taking over?
The only thing that works is products like Fluid Film it is very effective. But it doesn't stop exhaust components from rotting out and whoooo boy do they ever. Some engines even end up with blown head gaskets the salt eats away at the head and block. In this case the engine bay should be washed a few times in winter, actually I recommend this for all cars.
The amount of rusted cars I see when I go to Rochester is stunning, obviously. My FIL had an old 800 Silverado and finally got rid of it. It was rusted but still okay.
The $ figure loss from road salt must be staggering I really don't understand why it is used. Mandate winter tires and forget the road salt this will end up being far cheaper in the long run. Some locales in Alberta don't use any road salt the difference is drastic. I buy/sell cars from these areas I NEVER buy cars to flip that have seen road salt.

It will be interesting to see how my Y holds up long term, one thing that might give EVs an advantage is the underside is mostly smooth not much is exposed. Of course there is still traditional suspension stuff to be eaten away.

Old 09-29-24, 12:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

There is definitely truth about heated garages not being great when you're talking about activating salt leading to corrosion.
Old 09-29-24, 12:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Then the problem will be even worse you're driving water into everything. Road salt is not just salt it contains chemicals to make it stick to the road you know what that means. This is easy to see, pressure washing doesn't remove all the salt from undercarriage components it requires mechanical action and no one is going to crawl under their car and scrub every time they go to a car wash. Wheel cleaner neutralizes salt if you spray then scrub.

The only thing that works is products like Fluid Film it is very effective. But it doesn't stop exhaust components from rotting out and whoooo boy do they ever. Some engines even end up with blown head gaskets the salt eats away at the head and block. In this case the engine bay should be washed a few times in winter, actually I recommend this for all cars.

The $ figure loss from road salt must be staggering I really don't understand why it is used. Mandate winter tires and forget the road salt this will end up being far cheaper in the long run. Some locales in Alberta don't use any road salt the difference is drastic. I buy/sell cars from these areas I NEVER buy cars to flip that have seen road salt.

It will be interesting to see how my Y holds up long term, one thing that might give EVs an advantage is the underside is mostly smooth not much is exposed. Of course there is still traditional suspension stuff to be eaten away.
Suspension and brakes, rotors are still going to rust. I'm so thankful it doesn't snow or roads don't get iced up here
Old 09-29-24, 03:14 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

My garage is part of my house. It’s not a problem. When it was 0 degrees here last winter it didn’t get much below 60 degrees in there.
LOL, ok. Did you happen to open the garage door during that time? How long was it below 0? It can stay that low, or lower, here for a few days at a time. If you think an unheated attached garage should stay a comfortable temperature during that time, I don't know what to tell you.
Old 09-29-24, 03:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

LOL, ok. Did you happen to open the garage door during that time? How long was it below 0? It can stay that low, or lower, here for a few days at a time. If you think an unheated attached garage should stay a comfortable temperature during that time, I don't know what to tell you.
No, the LX was parked outside when we had our little blizzard and that's what I drove.

I would never, ever need a separate heater for my garage.

Damn, I'm sorry for all of y'all. That just doesn't exist down here, none of it. Never have to worry about any corrosion or rust.... or rough winters.

The LS was a Knoxville car, the LX was North Carolina vehicle and the Mercedes was out of Chattanooga.
Old 09-29-24, 03:54 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

No, the LX was parked outside when we had our little blizzard and that's what I drove.
Ok, so not at all relatable to the discussion of why some of us prefer to preconditioning our BEV's in the garage at times.
Old 09-29-24, 04:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

It all depends on the structure of your house and the garage and the insulation and climate. My garage is really within my house, it has two finished levels above it, finished basement space behind it and to the left side. Only the door and part of the right side wall are exterior and half that right side wall is underground.

It doesn’t get down into the 0s here but even when it’s as cold as 12, 14 degrees it’s never even in the 50s in there. But, that’s because of the way the garage is integrated into the house.
Old 09-29-24, 05:25 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It doesn’t get down into the 0s here but even when it’s as cold as 12, 14 degrees it’s never even in the 50s in there. But, that’s because of the way the garage is integrated into the house.
I get why you guys wouldn't need to precondition in your climates. I have no problem agreeing with that. My issue is with comments like this, that come across as condescending.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have never gotten into any of my cars in my home garage and felt the interior was not a comfortable temp.
I would look at the insulation in your garage...
It has nothing to do with the insulation in my garage. All walls are insulated, probably to a higher R-value than yours, and drywalled along with a fairly new insulated garage door. The ceiling is 9 feet tall and living space extends above it. When you open the door for a few minutes, it very quickly drops the temps. If I need to snow blow my driveway it stays open much longer.

One shouldn't make broad judgements based on their personal situation. Much like BEV's currently aren't viable for everyone. YMMV...
Old 09-29-24, 06:36 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

I would never, ever need a separate heater for my garage.
Two of my cars are garaged and two are not. I have remote start as well on two, I rarely ever use them. Once in a while. . Cold just doesn’t really faze me. I just don’t like prolonged hot weather, especially too hot at night . I have spent time in a desert region, the cold swing was so cool. I love the fall.

saw another bZ4x today. Hmmm it’s a sign I need to get an electric Toyota 👀
Old 09-29-24, 07:24 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
As a Vegas resident, -38 degrees is my definition of hell on Earth.
Your definition is aligned with this denizen of the frozen tundra.

Last edited by geko29; 09-29-24 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-29-24, 07:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Ok, so not at all relatable to the discussion of why some of us prefer to preconditioning our BEV's in the garage at times.
Do you need a Xanax? My GOD the heat in this forum.

All I said was I don't/wouldn't need it in my current situation.

And explained a real-life situation where it would be ideal.

If a garage is attached to the house and your house has adequate insulation you shouldn't have a problem either.

My situation would be ridiculous. Leave my 68 degree house to get in my 70 degree car? I wouldn't fuss with the fancy preconditioning stuff.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation