EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-24, 09:39 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 732 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
This has not been my experience at all. The dealer advertising a total amount off that is not achievable because the rebates can't be stacked would be illegal, the rebate has to be achievable. "Up to $5,000" means not all customers will have access to the entirety of the rebate (maybe there is a military rebate, or a loyalty rebate for instance) but they can't advertise rebates that cannot be stacked in that way.
They absolutely do this. That’s why I brought it up. One of the CJD dealers near here was notorious for it. And note I said essentially unshakable. There might just be an 80 year old out there who’s a recent college grad, active military and also a first responder…
Old 09-30-24, 10:18 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Buy a Lightning, get a free charger + install
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (09-30-24)
Old 09-30-24, 11:00 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,030 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
They absolutely do this. That’s why I brought it up. One of the CJD dealers near here was notorious for it. And note I said essentially unshakable. There might just be an 80 year old out there who’s a recent college grad, active military and also a first responder…
They also send out adds in the mail for cars that don't exist for ridiculous low prices and payments.

​​​​​Got a plastic key in my mailbox the other day that "might be your new car" from a local dealer, just another gimmick. Lol

I should've took a pic and posted it up.
Old 09-30-24, 11:03 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 103 Likes on 73 Posts

My favorite is the letter I get from the local Ford dealership offering me a "well above market" price for my truck (it's well under KBB trade-in) and then telling me about their special where they'll kick in another $1,000 in cash and get me into a new car for less than my truck.

Ford does not make a car with an MSRP less than what they will give me for my truck, and if they're talking about getting me in lower payments than I have now, good luck.....the truck's been paid off for 5 years.

Old 10-01-24, 04:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Good incentive to buy. I think Ford is offering 0% financing or 0.9%
BayeauxLex (10-01-24)
Old 10-01-24, 04:31 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Good incentive to buy. I think Ford is offering 0% financing or 0.9%
Won't change anything, some could call it an incentive... I think it's more of a desperate move.
BayeauxLex (10-01-24)
Old 10-01-24, 04:34 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 815 Likes on 569 Posts

Just got the email that my free NACS adapter is on the way. I've used my A2Z adapter a grand total of 0 times. It'll be good to have on my trip to Boston during Thanksgiving. Might try each one on the trip

Edit: thanks bit

Last edited by Allen K; 10-01-24 at 07:55 AM.
AMIRZA786 (10-01-24)
Old 10-01-24, 05:50 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Won't change anything, some could call it an incentive... I think it's more of a desperate move.
Then Chevy must be really desperate, because they've got 1.9% on the Colorado and 0.0% on the Silverado. Both have the added incentive of no payments until 2025. I guess we should expect them to stop selling pickups soon.

Subsidized financing rates have been a normal sales incentive for much of the last 20 years. They retreated in the past couple years because the pandemic supply crunch made them unnecessary. But they're creeping back and will become commonplace again.
Old 10-01-24, 06:14 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 271 Likes on 195 Posts

My almost free universal charger from Tesla should be here later this week.
Old 10-01-24, 06:58 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
But those rebates ARE stackable. You said advertising rebates that cannot be stacked and you're not going to see that.

For instance Mercedes has $5,000 dealer cash and there is also $5,500 in an AMEX incentive. They can't be stacked, its either/or. So no you don't see them out advertising $10,500 off.

CJD dealers do advertise a total rebate including all rebates you need to qualify for, but if you do qualify for all of them which is possible even if its unusual, then you can stack them all. Thats not really false advertising.
Old 10-01-24, 07:01 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Then Chevy must be really desperate, because they've got 1.9% on the Colorado and 0.0% on the Silverado. Both have the added incentive of no payments until 2025. I guess we should expect them to stop selling pickups soon.
I'm not talking about financing. I'm talking about Ford paying to come fix up your house. Think Ford/EV makers thought they'd be doing this 5 or even 2 years ago? I doubt it. Remember the F-150 Lightning is one of the most significant vehicles ever according to MT Truck of the year award. They might as well just start giving these Fords away. You just see the window stickers in these EVs (not Tesla--they'll sell forever) and it's just ludicrous, the prices. They need to come wayyyy downnnnn.

Last edited by AJT123; 10-01-24 at 07:05 AM.
Old 10-01-24, 07:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

I'm not talking about financing for god's sake. I'm talking about Ford paying to come fix up your house. Think EV makers thought they'd be doing this 5 or even 2 years ago? I doubt it. They might as well just start giving these Fords away. You just see the window stickers in these EVs (not Tesla--they'll sell forever) and it's just ludicrous, the prices. They need to come wayyyy downnnnn.
This kind of offer is not unusual. Hyundai has offered this for at least a year, when my neighbor got her Ioniq 5 they came and did her charger install. BMW has been doing this as well, Tesla also has been doing this, not sure if they are doing it still.

There is a company called Qmerit that these manufacturers contract with and its a really cheap and easy way to help the consumer make the move to an EV, if they don't have to worry about installing the charger. They will only pay up to I think its $2,000 plus the wall unit itself.

Having to install a wall charger and find an electrician who knows what they are doing etc is a big objection for people who want to go EV, relieving them of that objection is just smart business.
Old 10-01-24, 07:19 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

I'm not talking about financing. I'm talking about Ford paying to come fix up your house. Think EV makers thought they'd be doing this 5 or even 2 years ago? I doubt it. They might as well just start giving these Fords away.
Considering many of them have offered this exact incentive previously, it's not exactly novel. Friend of mine got a free charger/install with his Bolt EUV in 2022, when they were brand new, selling like hotcakes, and he had to find a cancelled order from another state to get one without waiting a year. As Steve notes above, this is far from unusual.

Of course, far more common (but of similar value) has been the ubiquitous "free public charging for X time period", which has been offered by pretty much everyone, the majority of the time. 6 of one, half dozen of the other.
Old 10-01-24, 07:27 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
Considering many of them have offered this exact incentive previously, it's not exactly novel. Friend of mine got a free charger/install with his Bolt EUV in 2022, when they were brand new, selling like hotcakes, and he had to find a cancelled order from another state to get one without waiting a ye

Of course, far more common (but of similar value) has been the ubiquitous "free public charging for X time period", which has been offered by pretty much everyone, the majority of the time. 6 of one, half dozen of th.
This might have to do with that guy in a suit that came to a public park to charge his Audi that I mentioned. I don’t blame him, I would do the same thing. But I still wondered what was going on.

If other automakers do that good, but strangely enough I’ve never heard of it until Ford did this.
Old 10-01-24, 07:37 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

This might have to do with that guy in a suit that came to a public park to charge his Audi that I mentioned. I don’t blame him, I would do the same thing. But I still wondered what was going on.

If other automakers do that good, but strangely enough I’ve never heard of it until Ford did this.
There's nothing going on. Free charging has been around for a long time. Tesla has been offering free destination chargers since the Model S. Many people use an app called PlugShare to find free charging. So you are way reading into this.

BTW, I got 0 percent financing on my 2006 Camry as well as my 2013 Sienna, the Sienna being very popular. 11 years later, it still being sold

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation