EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-24, 08:50 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 732 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I think ours right now is currently the largest in the nation, or one of the top.

I don't have any pics but the line of them is insane, it's just one long continuous line, not chopped up like in the pics of other places.
The more the merrier! The one being built will apparently be the biggest Tesla supercharger. Yours may well be be bigger.
Old 10-04-24, 11:53 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you missed my point entirely. people filling with GAS are still likely to leave their cars at the pump for 20-30 minutes when they go into the giant on-site store for fresh bbq and many other goodies, plus bathrooms, etc.

so in that scenario, chargers only need the same amount of time as gas pumps.

i meant what did you mean buc-ee's is 'a niche place'?
When I’m traveling alone and stop at Bucees to refuel I never step foot in the store. 3-5 min at the pump and I’m back on the road. When I’m traveling with my family and we stop at Bucees I usually spend more money inside of Bucees than I do at the pump and thus there longer. Depending on how long of a roadtrip sometimes I’ll walk inside after refueling and see my wife and kids pushing a 🛒 around the store. 😔😥

We bring snacks from home to hold us until we reach our destination.
Old Yesterday, 05:28 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you missed my point entirely. people filling with GAS are still likely to leave their cars at the pump for 20-30 minutes when they go into the giant on-site store for fresh bbq and many other goodies, plus bathrooms, etc.
I think a way to make sure EV owners don’t sit and squat at the charger is to charge a fee or something once the time for charging is over. Or make it a minimum 30 min reservation so that you can charge and head inside. That might work. But there would definitely be a cost to all of that.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
When I’m traveling alone and stop at Bucees to refuel I never step foot in the store. 3-5 min at the pump and I’m back on the road.

Same here. The big hassle is getting completely off the Interstate to refuel. We usually stop at the rest stops along the highway where no fuelling chargers/pumps are present. Something I like about Toyota highway mapping is that they outline the rest stops nicely on the right side of the map when travelling, haven’t seen Apple Maps do that.

We bring snacks from home to hold us until we reach our destination
same. Usually bulk size bags that we can share that will last us the whole trip. I can’t recall the last time I bought a snack from a fueling station. Too expensive. Bought a few cans of beer a few times. Lottery tickets here and there.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; Yesterday at 05:52 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 07:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

When I’m traveling alone and stop at Bucees to refuel I never step foot in the store. 3-5 min at the pump and I’m back on the road. When I’m traveling with my family and we stop at Bucees I usually spend more money inside of Bucees than I do at the pump and thus there longer. Depending on how long of a roadtrip sometimes I’ll walk inside after refueling and see my wife and kids pushing a 🛒 around the store. 😔😥

You're not the customer Buc-ees wants lol. They actually were forced to stop selling gas at a loss, they were selling it at a loss to get people to stop there for gas and to get them into the store to spend money.

The economics of gas stations, they don't make much money on fuel, where they make money is in their repair shop, comvenience store, carwash etc. Thats why EV charging is a big opportunity for the right kind of gas stations where they can support a customer for 20 minutes while they charge. Doesn't work great for a corner Exxon station, but a Buc-ees, Wawa, Sheetz, Royal Farms...its great.
BayeauxLex (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,276 Likes on 1,774 Posts

So basically what you are saying is, you force your family to hold in their pee or make them carry jars to pee in 🤣🤣
BayeauxLex (Today)
Old Yesterday, 10:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You're not the customer Buc-ees wants lol. They actually were forced to stop selling gas at a loss, they were selling it at a loss to get people to stop there for gas and to get them into the store to spend money.

The economics of gas stations, they don't make much money on fuel, where they make money is in their repair shop, comvenience store, carwash etc. Thats why EV charging is a big opportunity for the right kind of gas stations where they can support a customer for 20 minutes while they charge. Doesn't work great for a corner Exxon station, but a Buc-ees, Wawa, Sheetz, Royal Farms...its great.
He also doesn't seem to be the average traveler. I travel a lot to SoCal, and all the gas stations along the way have giant convenience stores with fast food restaurants in the stores full of people. People who stop for gas spend at least 20 minutes browsing the store, (longer if they are with their families) going to bathroom, eating and stretching their legs. It takes between 10 to 20 minutes to charge, so I end up spending as much time stopping as someone fueling at one of the gas stations

Last edited by AMIRZA786; Yesterday at 01:29 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 317 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I still do not see the business case (other than in some niche locations) Roll up, plug in and go inside and 10/15 or 20 minutes later emerge…you need A LOT of chargers. The largest buc-ees has 100 pumps…so we talking 300-400 chargers here? Sure it is possible, but it would be a niche thing.
You have a couple of extremely faulty assumptions here. One is that an average EV driver will spend 4x as long at a 70,000 square foot store/restaurant/rest stop as an ICE driver. The second is that the current mix—today—of long-distance drivers is spit exactly 50/50 between EV and ICE. Neither of these is even remotely close to reality.
Old Yesterday, 01:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by geko29
You have a couple of extremely faulty assumptions here. One is that an average EV driver will spend 4x as long at a 70,000 square foot store/restaurant/rest stop as an ICE driver. The second is that the current mix—today—of long-distance drivers is spit exactly 50/50 between EV and ICE. Neither of these is even remotely close to reality.
True, only 27 percent of cars in just California are EV's, and mainly Tesla drivers (add Ford drivers since they now have access to Tesla chargers) take long distance trips in their cars. I think last number I saw was Tesla was around 60 percent of EV's. In other parts of the US, that number is going to be drastically lower
Old Yesterday, 01:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 73 Likes on 64 Posts

. The Rove model I see as a small niche thing, but not a lot of them on every corner, the stand alone EV “stations” is what this is all about anyways, the business case of going into the establishment and chilling and buying all these food items doesn’t work IMO from a business case
POV. Current gas stations are an impulse buy as it is. I don’t see that changing.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; Yesterday at 02:09 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 240 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
The more the merrier! The one being built will apparently be the biggest Tesla supercharger. Yours may well be be bigger.
Where? Are you talking about a Bucees or just a big Supercharger? Is Bucees west coast too? I never remember seeing any when I lived out there.

And yeah, lol. Like I said it's just one big long straight line of chargers 120 of them, pretty cool engineering feat.

I'll get a pic of it next time I drive by there.
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
Where? Are you talking about a Bucees or just a big Supercharger? Is Bucees west coast too? I never remember seeing any when I lived out there.

And yeah, lol. Like I said it's just one big long straight line of chargers 120 of them, pretty cool engineering feat.

I'll get a pic of it next time I drive by there.
No Bucees on the West Coast. He's talking about Tesla Super chargers
Old Yesterday, 05:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,777 Likes on 1,984 Posts

Think about it this way. Everywhere at a BucEes a car is parked while they are inside for 25 minutes can be a charger. Every parking space. You can’t think of it like a gas station where there are fueling and parking areas.
Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,337 Likes on 1,423 Posts

I think it’s 120 fuel pumps and 24 Tesla chargers. Definitely a huge place still!

https://www.thedrive.com/news/worlds...with-120-pumps

SW17LS (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:13 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,070 Likes on 2,581 Posts

This is incredible huge props to the Rivian engineering team.

DaveGS4 (Today)
Old Today, 03:14 AM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Received 199 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
So basically what you are saying is, you force your family to hold in their pee or make them carry jars to pee in 🤣🤣
🤣🤣🤣. They actually sleep most of the way. My wife will fall asleep before we leave our town!!🥴

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation