EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-23 | 11:02 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
one thing this thread has made me realize... i don't miss living where there's really cold weather!

i hate having to put on / take off loads of clothes, hats, gloves, coats, boots
i hate shoveling snow
i hate scraping ice
i hate freezing
i hate worrying about falling or driving on ice and snow
ev's don't work as well
solar doesn't work as well

Can't argue here.

As I mentioned my spouse is from Rochester. If you have no garage and/or park on the street, you get to spend 30-45 minutes digging your car out just to drive through a blizzard to work. Yeah, no thanks. FWIW not nearly the amount of EVs up there that are here.
Old 11-30-23 | 11:07 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

one thing this thread has made me realize... i don't miss living where there's really cold weather!

i hate shoveling snow
i hate scraping ice
i hate freezing
ev's don't work as well

Does this count as snow?

Old 11-30-23 | 11:17 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Garage stays fine even when it gets super cold here at night, haven’t opened it yet to leave. But sure, I would still use that preconditioning feature anyway if I had an EV.

The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23 | 11:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Does this count as snow?
no.

haha
AMIRZA786 (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23 | 02:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i hate shoveling snow
i hate scraping ice
i hate freezing
ev's don't work as well

Totally....I HATE the cold.

Saw today that one of my agents traded her Range Rover Sport in on an EQS SUV...
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
BayeauxLex (11-30-23), signdetres (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23 | 03:01 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Totally....I HATE the cold.

Saw today that one of my agents traded her Range Rover Sport in on an EQS SUV...
Good for her
Old 11-30-23 | 03:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by signdetres
Good for her
She says she loves it!
signdetres (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23 | 04:01 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

I also have basically stopped driving the Mercedes on the weekends and I drive the Pacifica because I love the EV power. I just wish it went more than 35 miles on just EV.

Whereas I got all the way home the other day in the Mercedes and remembered I was leaving early the next day and needed a full tank of gas. I had to back out of my garage and go get gas and come back. Would have much rather just plugged it in and gone inside.

Charging a vehicle at home is a total joy.
This is what I love about having a PHEV. When one is low or need charging, I can switch over to the other. Best of both worlds imo.

Disagree... We just had some 20 degree weather and saw huge losses in both our Model Y and EQS SUV. In worst cases, we were seeing a total range of 165 miles for the Model Y and 196 miles with the EQS SUV. In the summer, our Y can do 240-250 miles. The EQS SUV can push near 350 miles.

In the summer, our Model Y averages 275 wh/mi. We see as high as 450 wh/mi in winter in the Y. That is a huge difference.

To say that modern EVs barely take a hit in the winter is a lie, in my opinion.
In addition, we just took a road trip in 33-35 degree weather in the EQS. In those temps with 4 passengers, we were able to achieve 260-270 miles on one charge when we’d normally have 300 or more miles.

In that 34ish degree weather, the EQS averaged around 400 wh/mi when in the summer it would achieve 310-320 wh/mi.

Heat pump or no heat pump, there’s a big hit. Our EQS without a heat pump still has more range so far than the Y. There hasn’t been a scenario yet which the Y would have more range than the EQS. We’ll see what happens as we get closer to 0 degrees
Thank you for your honest reviews
signdetres (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23 | 05:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So @signdetres now that you've shared your experiences driving two EV'S in the bone chilling cold and talked about the reduction in range you have experienced, tell us honestly and truthfully, would you go back? Honesty is key here
signdetres (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23 | 06:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

We parked it at the airport when we flew to CA and there are chargers in the airport garage everywhere. No dedicated EV spaces just chargers throughout with long cords. We parked 3 spaces over from one and the cord reached fine. Van stayed plugged in the whole week and we came back to a free full charge. THATS the future.
just trying to understand... you left a charger plugged in for a week even though your car likely would only charge for a couple of hours so no one else could use it?

I also have basically stopped driving the Mercedes on the weekends and I drive the Pacifica because I love the EV power. I just wish it went more than 35 miles on just EV.
you don't love the s-class power as much as driving the pacifica phev on electric drive?

Charging a vehicle at home is a total joy.
sure is. i haven't been to a gas station since i got my ev. i only drive the lexus on weekends so a tank lasts a long time.

Old 11-30-23 | 06:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

just trying to understand... you left a charger plugged in for a week even though your car likely would only charge for a couple of hours so no one else could use it?

you don't love the s-class power as much as driving the pacifica phev on electric drive?

sure is. i haven't been to a gas station since i got my ev. i only drive the lexus on weekends so a tank lasts a long time.
I don't know about a phev, but you can keep an EV plugged in for months. Tesla recommends that if you don't drive for a week or more to keep your Tesla plugged in.

It's awesome having to rarely go to the gas station. Especially since gas is currently around $4.59 right now
Old 11-30-23 | 07:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I just learned that Supercharging isn't great for Tesla batteries.......

You really need to have a plug at home for one of these.
Old 11-30-23 | 07:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
I just learned that Supercharging isn't great for Tesla batteries.......

You really need to have a plug at home for one of these.
Absolutely not true. A study was recently published that shows battery degradation between those who supercharge regularly and those that charge at home is similar...1 to 2 percent per year. This study covered Teslas and non Teslas. You can find it posted in the Tesla business thread.

All my EV'S are covered by an 8 year, 120k mile warranty, so battery degradation doesn't worry me one bit

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 11-30-23 at 07:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
Mike728 (11-30-23), signdetres (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23 | 08:34 PM
signdetres
Racer

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
So @signdetres now that you've shared your experiences driving two EV'S in the bone chilling cold and talked about the reduction in range you have experienced, tell us honestly and truthfully, would you go back? Honesty is key here
Would I go back to ICE cars? No way. I would still only choose an EV from here on out. These cars (EVs) are still in their infancy and will only get better from here on out. I'm already looking forward to swapping our 2023 EQS SUV for a 2025 EQS SUV because it'll add 3 major features that should really improve efficiency, in general and especially in the cold. Compared to my 23, the 24+ models will have a bigger battery with new cell chemistry (+10 kWh), a heat pump, and the ability to disconnect the front axle and cruise using only the rear. That should translate to a lot more range in the summer and especially winter. But I'll tell you this...

We just booked a trip in February to Los Angeles to visit some friends and family. We'll be driving around Los Angeles, Newport Beach, and then have a road trip to Vegas and back. We chose to rent a gas car (2024 GLC Coupe) so we could avoid having to charge in LA and on the way to Vegas and back.

The only EV we considered renting for this trip was a RWD EQS Sedan (EQS 450+) because we knew it would be comfortable and it has shown to get around 400 miles of highway range in the real world, but again, we didn't want to deal with charging in LA and especially at a non-Tesla charger. That said, we probably would've gone ahead and booked the EQS sedan anyway but my partner and I weren't old enough to rent it. The 2024 GLC Coupe had a lower renter's age so that helped sway our decision.
AMIRZA786 (11-30-23)
Old 11-30-23 | 08:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Would I go back to ICE cars? No way. I would still only choose an EV from here on out. These cars (EVs) are still in their infancy and will only get better from here on out. I'm already looking forward to swapping our 2023 EQS SUV for a 2025 EQS SUV because it'll add 3 major features that should really improve efficiency, in general and especially in the cold. Compared to my 23, the 24+ models will have a bigger battery with new cell chemistry (+10 kWh), a heat pump, and the ability to disconnect the front axle and cruise using only the rear. That should translate to a lot more range in the summer and especially winter. But I'll tell you this...

We just booked a trip in February to Los Angeles to visit some friends and family. We'll be driving around Los Angeles, Newport Beach, and then have a road trip to Vegas and back. We chose to rent a gas car (2024 GLC Coupe) so we could avoid having to charge in LA and on the way to Vegas and back.

The only EV we considered renting for this trip was a RWD EQS Sedan (EQS 450+) because we knew it would be comfortable and it has shown to get around 400 miles of highway range in the real world, but again, we didn't want to deal with charging in LA and especially at a non-Tesla charger. That said, we probably would've gone ahead and booked the EQS sedan anyway but my partner and I weren't old enough to rent it. The 2024 GLC Coupe had a lower renter's age so that helped sway our decision.
That sounds like an awesome trip. Be ready for the worst traffic you've ever experienced!

Not old enough?? You're under 25? That's the age rental companies require, at least from what I remember. Correct me if I'm wrong

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation