EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 08:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats not accurate. Less people are buying them than they thought, but they are buying them. Lightning sales are actually growing:
This is classic supply and demand. Of course the BS news will make it as rosy as possible, they've been telling us to drive an EV for years. It's disgusting how easy it is to spot. So now I'm guessing the MT line is--- "F-150 is still the truck everyone needs to help them make the transition.... well sort of." Of course the news/magazines/etc is going to downplay it because they know people like me (and there's a lot of them like me) are laughing at them, again, because they were wrong.

Ford is also cancelling (wisely not spending) $12B in their EV program. Supply and demand. The demand is just not there, not nearly how they thought at least. I could have predicted that one with my eyes closed. If you want an EV, get a Tesla.... case closed. I also could not find one Blazer EV at the Chevy dealer yesterday. Blazer is MT's latest SUV of the year, I have not seen one of these out on the roads ether.
Old 12-12-23, 09:18 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

lol AJT, I'd love to take you for a ride in my truck, which is basically as powerful as your LX and SL combined and is monumentally faster, smoother and quieter than both them. And massively outsells them. The new LX - which is way better than yours - sold 5700 through Q3. So they are garbage too?

Back to the Lightning production, Ford isn't cutting anything. Production is increasing. They are producing more, just not going to produce as many as they initially planned. They still plan to build 1600 per week.

October and November were the two best selling months on record for the Lightning, the slower 2023 sales were in large part due to parts shortages, recalls and a shutdown for retooling for half of Q3.
The following 3 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (12-12-23), bowser (12-12-23), signdetres (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 09:22 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That MT article I quoted keeps getting worse and worse.....

"The Lightning is one of the most significant vehicles ever...." "The perfect vehicle to introduce the masses to EV adoption.."

Except nobody is buying them. Whoopsie.
'nobody' is incorrect. but you're right on calling out MT, who will suck up to their bigger advertisers.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats not accurate. Less people are buying them than they thought, but they are buying them. Lightning sales are actually growing:
so 20k this year vs. 13k last year, but that may be due to easing SUPPLY constraint, not higher demand. i believe loads of lightnings couldn't be sold due to parts shortages.

but i think ford was gearing up to sell 6 figures worth, not 5, and they're not seeing the demand, so pulling back investment. makes sense.

the f150 lightning is a fine product, but it's expensive, and people who want to tow or go long distance, it's a no go, so a smaller selling opportunity.

This is classic supply and demand. Of course the BS news will make it as rosy as possible, they've been telling us to drive an EV for years. It's disgusting how easy it is to spot. So now I'm guessing the MT line is--- "F-150 is still the truck everyone needs to help them make the transition.... well sort of." Of course the news/magazines/etc is going to downplay it because they know people like me (and there's a lot of them like me) are laughing at them, again, because they were wrong.
fair points... but ev's ARE still selling.

If you want an EV, get a Tesla.... case closed.
rivian, lucid, fisker, hyundai, kia, genesis, polestar, ford (not just the truck but the mach-e), and more... tesla makes just 4 models.
Old 12-12-23, 09:27 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
lol AJT, I'd love to take you for a ride in my truck, which is basically as powerful as your LX and SL combined and is monumentally faster, smoother and quieter than both them. And massively outsells them. The LX sold 5700 through Q3. So they are garbage too?

Back to the Lightning production, Ford isn't cutting anything. Production is increasing. They are producing more, just not going to produce as many as they initially planned. They still plan to build 1600 per week.

October and November were the two best selling months on record for the Lightning, the slower 2023 sales were in large part due to parts shortages, recalls and a shutdown for retooling for half of Q3.
I have no need to ride in your truck because I'd look straight to the range which is terrible. Can it tow my boat up the the lake house in Dandridge and back comfortably which is 50 minutes away?

How is cutting production in half "increasing production"? They'll cut it even more in the next couple months, watch.

Ford is canceling spending $12BB because of low sales. Ford has postponed (and will cancel) a whole entire battery plant in Kentucky.

LX vs F150 is silly, F150 is the #1 selling vehicle in America... just not the EV version that's for sure.

Old 12-12-23, 09:29 AM
swajames
Pole Position

There were 3712 Lightning sales in October, up 54% from 2022, and just under 4400 sold in November, up 100% from 2022. So the Lightning sold more in two months than the better, faster, improved LX has sold in 2023.
Old 12-12-23, 09:32 AM
swajames
Pole Position

I have no need to ride in your truck because I'd look straight to the range which is terrible. Can it tow my boat up the the lake house in Dandridge and back comfortably which is 50 minutes away?

How is cutting production in half "increasing production"? They'll cut it even more in the next couple months, watch.

Ford is canceling spending $12BB because of low sales. Ford has postponed (and will cancel) a whole entire battery plant in Kentucky.

LX vs F150 is silly, F150 is the #1 selling vehicle in America... just not the EV version that's for sure.
Yep, I also have a boat at our lakehouse. Anything you can tow there and back, my Lightning would tow there and back like it wasn't even attached. Your LX actually has a lower towing capacity than my Defender, never mind my truck.
Old 12-12-23, 09:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

There were 3712 Lightning sales in October, up 54% from 2022, and just under 4400 sold in November, up 100% from 2022. So the Lightning sold more in two months than the better, faster, improved LX has sold in 2023.
Nobody is comparing an LX to an EV except you.

This is ridiculous. Ford is cancelling spending 12 Billion. They're postponing (and shortly canceling) an entire campus in KY to make batteries.

EVs are not meeting sales projections. They're piled on lots, I see it constantly. It's reality.

Also, fuel is cheap again at least here. It's still over $4 in California of course but I found gas for $2.45 yesterday.
Old 12-12-23, 09:34 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

From what I've read Ford is busy working on a refresh for the Lightning. Improved electronics, better battery and a bunch of other things.

So LCID is being booted from the Nasdaq the stock has seen a nice run since hitting all time lows. Hope people got out when they could stock is down 10% just today.
EVs are not meeting sales projections
What projections? Electric vehicles are the fastest growing segment by far.
Old 12-12-23, 09:34 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Yep, I also have a boat at our lakehouse. Anything you can tow there and back, my Lightning would tow there and back like it wasn't even attached. Your LX actually has a lower towing capacity than my Defender, never mind my truck.
I don't have a boat at the lake house. I would have to tow it there an hour and back on a full battery, which a Lightning wouldn't do.
Old 12-12-23, 09:42 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Again, Ford is increasing production from current levels, but not by as much as they were going to increase production from current levels. So that's smaller increase, not a cut in production.
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 09:44 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K

What projections? Electric vehicles are the fastest growing segment by far.
Less people want EVs than people thought, other than Teslas which are cult vehicles. Ford not spending a planned $12BB and "postponing" whole battery plants seems to suggest it as well. If people want to buy EVs there are plenty. But they're not buying them like everyone thought they would and production is reflecting that.

Case closed.
Old 12-12-23, 09:47 AM
swajames
Pole Position

I don't have a boat at the lake house. I would have to tow it there an hour and back on a full battery, which a Lightning wouldn't do.
Your question was:

And the answer to that question is yes, of course it would. You have a much lower towing capacity than mine, there's really not going to be an issue towing anything under your much lower limit for 50 minutes/miles whatever and back.
Old 12-12-23, 09:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

And the answer to that question is yes, of course it would. You have a much lower towing capacity than mine, there's really not going to be an issue towing anything under your much lower limit for 50 minutes/miles whatever and back.
Your Lightning will tow my 5000lb boat an hour and back in the dead of summer when it's 100 degrees, up half a mountain, and through bumper to bumper interstate traffic.... comfortably range wise? Someone else needs to try that before I ever would.
Old 12-12-23, 09:56 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Less people want EVs than people thought,
What people? What did they think?
Old 12-12-23, 09:59 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Your Lightning will tow my 5000lb boat an hour and back in the dead of summer when it's 100 degrees, up half a mountain, and through bumper to bumper interstate traffic.... comfortably range wise? Someone else needs to try that before I ever would.
Well, what goes up must come down, so those downhill segments will help to significantly increase range in an EV thanks to regen, and you have to remember that EVs are remarkably efficient in city and in particular bumper to bumper traffic. EV's get incredibly good miles per kWh in slow traffic. So the conditions you describe aren't as problematic as it may appear. It's speed that kills range when towing, in large part due to aerodynamic drag, and at speed you have the double whammy of the increase in drag proportional to the square of speed plus additional aerodynamic drag from your trailer and contents.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation