EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-23, 12:10 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Nobody is bent out of shape.

As a writer/editor, I just think it’s garbage. I can’t believe that cleared the powers that be.

So here's what you said.

The editors are so stupid they literally call people (their own readers) hypocrites for using a laptop because it has batteries.
These aren't the words of someone looking at that Lieberbman quote with even a modicum of rationality or proportionality. It's hyperbole and journalistic license, used to make a point. Most people would have just read it and moved on.
Old 12-12-23, 12:17 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames

These aren't the words of someone looking at that Lieberbman quote with even a modicum of rationality or proportionality. It's hyperbole and journalistic license, used to make a point. Most people would have just read it and moved on.
Lol. In what world is that a rational statement from him before you come at readers like me? Was my last laptop powered by a V8? This is MT we are talking about. Used to be an incredible magazine.

He’s making no point, other than the point that he’s full of
beans. That’s the dumbest logic I’ve ever heard.
Old 12-12-23, 12:28 PM
swajames
Pole Position

So it passed you by that he's not talking specifically about the hypocrisy of MT readers or anyone reading that article, the comment is directed at the purveyors of anti-EV rhetoric and misinformation. Now I'm sure we can all agree that there may very well be some intersection between certain MT readers and poorly-informed anti-EV nutcases who have neither knowledge nor experience to share but do so anyway, but that's largely coincidental to the point he was getting across.
Old 12-12-23, 12:34 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
The majority of Tesla's use LFP cells.
Actually, it's a minority. Only the Model 3 standard range gets it at this point.

Model 3 SR = LFP
Model 3 LR = NCA 2170
Model 3 Perf = NCA 2170

Model Y AWD = 4680
Model Y LR = NCA 2170
Model Y Perf = NCA 2170
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike728:
LeX2K (12-12-23), signdetres (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 12:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

How bout this… concede that Ford overshot with the Lightning?
hey forecasting a new kind of vehicle is hard. doesn't mean it's dead.

as for delaying the battery plant build out, i presume that's more a cashflow issue than anything, based on, yes, projected demand. they may also have sourced other batteries and don't need that plant as soon as they thought.
like it or not, car making is a global business.

and like it or not, electric car sales are NOT slowing down. maybe the rate of increase in percentages is, but that's to be expected... going from 1% to 2% (1% actual increase) is a 100% increase. going from 10% to 15% (5% or FIVE TIMES the actual increase) is a 50% increase.

Old 12-12-23, 12:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

and AJT look at this: https://www.coxautoinc.com/market-in...2023-ev-sales/

and this in particular:
Q3 EV SHARE OF TOTAL BRAND SALES

and this:

In 2020, just three years back, EV sales in the U.S. passed 250,000 for the first time. This year, the market will jump past 1 million.
so just because you don't like ev sales encroaching on ice sales, and you don't like the govt providing incentives for this (which none of us can do anything about), doesn't make any of your analysis or predictions true.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-12-23 at 12:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 12:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I also predict this slowdown will continue, we’ll see. I bet they cut making 1600 of them in a few months.
Again, quit with the gaslighting. There is no slowdown, Lightning sales are GROWING not shrinking. Ford overshot the initial demand and they are now adjusting production, that does not mean there is a slowdown. A slowdown implies sales are shrinking and thats the opposite of the truth.

How bout this… concede that Ford overshot with the Lightning?
I have already said that multiple times.

The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
AMIRZA786 (12-12-23), signdetres (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 01:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Again, quit with the gaslighting. There is no slowdown, Lightning sales are GROWING not shrinking. Ford overshot the initial demand and they are now adjusting production, that does not mean there is a slowdown. A slowdown implies sales are shrinking and thats the opposite of the truth.
We'll see this time next year where we are. EV sales are going to reach a % number and then stay there for the most part, I predict at least. Trucks will always be USA #1 sellers, and the vast vast majority of them are ICE and will be for a lonnnnng time.

Ford wisely not spending $12B and cutting Lightning production by half isn't a great sign. Not symbolic of one of the most significant vehicles of all time.

If you disagree with me, fine...but don't accuse me of gaslighting... I didn't even know what it was: It's a form of emotional abuse that causes a victim to question themselves- giving the abusive partner even more power

Whatever my rhetoric is, I'm not trying to emotionally abuse anyone.

Anyone wanna bet that they won't be building the 1600 a week they cut back to for 2024 in 2025????? They'll cut back even further, watch.

This is from a Pro-EV publication:
https://insideevs.com/news/700313/fo...roduction-cut/
Old 12-12-23, 01:08 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Again, Ford is increasing production from current levels, but not by as much as they were going to increase production from current levels. So that's smaller increase, not a cut in production.
Old 12-12-23, 01:12 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
Again, Ford is increasing production from current levels, but not by as much as they were going to increase production from current levels. So that's smaller increase, not a cut in production.
I'll continue this debate when we see what Ford is doing for 2025 and how Lightning sales are for MY 2024.

Getting into "beat a dead horse" territory.

Pretty sure Chevy cancelled or really scaled back on their EV truck, just FWIW.

https://electrek.co/2023/10/17/gm-pu...oduction-back/

They sold.....18 in Q3.
Old 12-12-23, 01:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If you disagree with me, fine...but don't accuse me of gaslighting...
Continuing to act as if something is true when its repeatedly proven to you that is isn't true is gaslighting and its intellectually dishonest. There is no EV sales slowdown as you continue to state that there is, EV sales are growing at a rapid rate and market share is growing.

You are welcome to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Facts are not up for debate.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (12-12-23)
Old 12-12-23, 01:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
Actually, it's a minority. Only the Model 3 standard range gets it at this point.

Model 3 SR = LFP
Model 3 LR = NCA 2170
Model 3 Perf = NCA 2170

Model Y AWD = 4680
Model Y LR = NCA 2170
Model Y Perf = NCA 2170
I stand corrected. Actually I meant to post that differently but thanks for the correction.
I'll continue this debate when we see what Ford is doing for 2025 and how Lightning sales are for MY 2024.

Getting into "beat a dead horse" territory.

Pretty sure Chevy cancelled or really scaled back on their EV truck, just FWIW.

https://electrek.co/2023/10/17/gm-pu...oduction-back/

They sold.....18 in Q3.
GM is textbook on what not to do in the EV space.
Old 12-12-23, 01:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Continuing to act as if something is true when its repeatedly proven to you that is isn't true is gaslighting and its intellectually dishonest. There is no EV sales slowdown as you continue to state that there is, EV sales are growing at a rapid rate and market share is growing.

You are welcome to your own opinion, but not your own facts. Facts are not up for debate.
So it's untrue that Ford is massively scaling back? Is that untrue? I admitted I was exaggerating saying "nobody is buying them" but it is safe to say they're not being bought at levels that were predicted, and they were wearing rosey glasses thinking ahead, they were certainly wrong about that. You admit yourself they overshot.

Some of you guys are acting like Ford making these massive cuts/moves aren't happening, there's your proof right there lol.
Old 12-12-23, 01:20 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I stand corrected. Actually I meant to post that differently but thanks for the correction.

GM is textbook on what not to do in the EV space.
I remember that awesome Super Bowl commercial that recreated The Sopranos intro.

Where is that? They're certainly not on dealer lots. I haven't heard anything about them.

Tony would NEVER drive an EV btw haha. Nobody needs to get offended, I'm being light hearted. He'd be in a murdered out Escalade.
Old 12-12-23, 01:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So it's untrue that Ford is massively scaling back? Is that untrue? I admitted I was exaggerating saying "nobody is buying them" but it is safe to say they're not being bought at levels that were predicted, and they were wearing rosey glasses thinking ahead, they were certainly wrong about that. You admit yourself they overshot.

Some of you guys are acting like Ford making these massive cuts/moves aren't happening, there's your proof right there lol.
Yes, it is untrue...swajames has told you that repeatedly. Ford is scaling back their PROJECTIONS for production of the Lightning...

Lets put it this way, this time of year those of us in business plan goals for next year. If I say I want to grow my business by 50% next year, and then I find I only grew it by 20%...has my business SHRUNK? No...its grown by 20%. Projections are just that, a guess.

You WANT them to be wrong, thats why you see failure everywhere

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation