EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-23, 06:41 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Honestly, I think they already do. Having driven a wide variety of EVs now, the only thing about Tesla that appeals to me is the charging network. Honestly other than that I wouldn't even consider a Tesla, but there are a wide variety of EVs from other manufacturers I would buy.
In the grand scheme of things, it won't be much longer until all charging stations and EVs are universal and on the NACS standard. We're pretty close to Tesla's network exclusivity being over
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 06:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
In the grand scheme of things, it won't be much longer until all charging stations and EVs are universal and on the NACS standard. We're pretty close to Tesla's network exclusivity being over
Yep, and then for me personally a Tesla will have no appeal
signdetres (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yep, and then for me personally a Tesla will have no appeal
makes sense since you're in the luxury large sedan/suv market which isn't tesla's focus, so no surprise there. their focus, with their manufacturing scale advantages, is on the broader mainstream sedan/cuv/truck market.

i am in that market with my work vehicle. i would have considered a 3 and Y this last go around (2 months ago) had the highland changes already been out. but since they weren't, i didn't.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (12-15-23), SW17LS (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 09:04 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,671 Posts

I think because you are in the luxury market, for you this statement is true. For the general public, no so much. In the grand scheme of things, luxury brands are sold in much smaller numbers compared to cars like the Corolla, Civic, Camry, Accord etc. These people are IMO going to transition over to Tesla, at least for the foreseeable future. Don't get me wrong, I want Tesla to face stiff competition, but until automakers can build out to scale the way Tesla has and be profitable, they can't compete. And I can post the numbers to prove that. Right now legacy automakers are completely relying on ICE sales to maintain profitability
Old 12-15-23, 09:21 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
In the grand scheme of things, luxury brands are sold in much smaller numbers compared to cars like the Corolla, Civic, Camry, Accord etc. These people are IMO going to transition over to Tesla, at least for the foreseeable future.
I agree with this statement. Tesla has to either compete by making their vehicles better or compete by lowering prices. Obviously, they're going down the 2nd route and I think this will continue to happen, so yes, especially when taking tax credits into account, it makes no sense to get a Corolla, Civic, Camry, Accord, Rav4 etc. when you could be getting a Model 3 or Model Y, which are far superior in almost every conceivable way, instead for the same or less money. Just the other day we saw a new Model 3 RWD listed in Tesla's inventory advertising a lease price of $294/mo. If I were shopping in the Corolla or Civic category, I know absolutely which route I would take and it's not the Corolla or the Civic.

Last edited by signdetres; 12-15-23 at 09:47 AM. Reason: bad grammar
AMIRZA786 (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 09:32 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I agree with this statement. Tesla has to either compete by making their vehicles better or compete by lowering prices. Obviously, they're going down the 2nd route and I think this will continue to happen, so yes, especially when taking tax credits into account, it makes no sense to get a Corolla, Civic, Camry, Accord, Rav4 etc. when you could be getting a Model 3 or Model Y, which is far superior in almost every conceivable way, instead for the same or less money. Just the other day we saw a new Model 3 RWD listed in Tesla's inventory advertising a lease price of $294/mo. If I were shopping in the Corolla or Civic category, I know absolutely which route I would take and it's not the Corolla or the Civic.
For sure, Tesla will need to improve if they are going to compete in the luxury segment and re-attract customers like yourself, and like you, I believe they are going the other route and will become the new Camry (Model Y). If I was a Camry buyer, the Model Y makes a ton of sense because it's going to be cheaper and more efficient in the long run. Choosing between a Model 3 or Corolla/Civic is a no brainer LoL
signdetres (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 11:44 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

I really don't think Tesla has anything to worry about, lol.

No matter what they're cult vehicles, or can be looked at as such. People are always going to buy them.
Old 12-15-23, 12:00 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123

No matter what they're cult vehicles, or can be looked at as such. People are always going to buy them.
Cult status ended with the Model S and X to some extent. Plaid, yes, you can feel special. Driving and owning a Model Y is like having a Camry that's actually fun to drive. There is no way I feel special driving a Model Y, especially since many of my neighbors, coworkers and others own them as well. The only time I feel special is when I put my foot down and easily keep pace with performance cars. Other than that, it's a mid size family SUV that's powered by a battery pack and electric motors
Mike728 (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 01:36 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Cult status ended with the Model S and X to some extent. Plaid, yes, you can feel special. Driving and owning a Model Y is like having a Camry that's actually fun to drive. There is no way I feel special driving a Model Y, especially since many of my neighbors, coworkers and others own them as well. The only time I feel special is when I put my foot down and easily keep pace with performance cars. Other than that, it's a mid size family SUV that's powered by a battery pack and electric motors
Agree, our MY reminds me of when my wife got a CR-V back in 2010. We had to read the plates before trying to get in at the mall.
Old 12-15-23, 01:41 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
Agree, our MY reminds me of when my wife got a CR-V back in 2010. We had to read the plates before trying to get in at the mall.
Haha, I sometimes have to honk the horn from the app 🤣
Old 12-15-23, 01:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Lol at least here, and I'm not using Knoxville as a general indicator.... but for what it's worth there are literally 30-40 Teslas per one other brand EV I see out on the roads. I did just see a Hummer and watched the guy nail it up a hill. It wasn't silent, it had a "tone" to it. It was cool to see something haul *** so quickly, quietly.
AMIRZA786 (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 02:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Lol at least here, and I'm not using Knoxville as a general indicator.... but for what it's worth there are literally 30-40 Teslas per one other brand EV I see out on the roads. I did just see a Hummer and watched the guy nail it up a hill. It wasn't silent, it had a "tone" to it. It was cool to see something haul *** so quickly, quietly.
Now the Hummer would be classified as a status symbol, that thing is just huge and monstrous! It would barely fit it through my gate Lol. I've seen a few of them here, and yeah, they are big!
Old 12-15-23, 02:14 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Now the Hummer would be classified as a status symbol, that thing is just huge and monstrous! It would barely fit it through my gate Lol. I've seen a few of them here, and yeah, they are big!
Lol oh they're ridiculous, a rolling contradiction. 10,000lbs lol. But, this is America lol. Anyone can say anything about any vehicle, really lol and anyone can buy whatever they want.

I watched him stop semi- aggressively before he made the turn on the street, you could tell that f'er weighs a TON lol. The suspension bits I saw looked robust AF.
Old 12-15-23, 03:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Driving and owning a Model Y is like having a Camry that's actually fun to drive.
quote of the day.

if i was forced to choose between a camry or rav4 and a model y i'd get a model y.

obviously millions of loyal and cautious toyota owners (aka consumer reports subscribers lol) won't, but the times they are a changin'
AMIRZA786 (12-15-23)
Old 12-15-23, 06:49 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 208 Posts

I agree with this. Like I said, Tesla is synonymous with EVs like Apple is synonymous with smart phones. Other phones like Samsung actually make a better phone with more features than the iPhone but the iPhone still sells more and those that have them typically don’t switch because the cult is real.

Other cars will be better made with better/more features but Tesla will still outsell them for a long time, especially with the younger/newer generation of drivers.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation