EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-23, 07:04 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I totally disagree, its a following that you don't see anywhere else in the automotive landscape. What other carmaker has huge reveals livestreamed all over the world like Tesla does? Nobody. Where is the equivalent of Teslarati for say, Honda?

The closest example is Apple.
I don't know how to answer that. I'm guessing that saves them a lot in marketing costs. It's not a bad thing that Tesla owners love their cars. It's people who push their choices on others, which I try to never do. I think on this forum, there was only one member who did that, and many of us who are also Tesla owners got into disagreements with him
Old 12-22-23, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I don't know how to answer that. I'm guessing that saves them a lot in marketing costs. It's not a bad thing that Tesla owners love their cars. It's people who push their choices on others, which I try to never do. I think on this forum, there was only one member who did that, and many of us who are also Tesla owners got into disagreements with him
I'm not saying its a bad thing, but it is what it is. There is absolutely a cultlike following for Tesla. Its just kinda weird. I sit here and I see people trying to say that buttons are better for turn signals and a yoke steering wheel is actually great when those things are not great, but they can't admit that they're not because Elon said they were great. "I love being blinded all the time from the sun through my roof with no shade!" Sure you do!

"I actually love that there is no HUD or ventillated seats, because its just way better without those things" lol, okay. Like Apple removing the headphone jack or removing all the ports from their laptops...that was stupid. "I like my laptop better with less ports" said no one ever....except an Apple fanboy. Tesla is the same way.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 07:21 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I'm not saying its a bad thing, but it is what it is. There is absolutely a cultlike following for Tesla. Its just kinda weird. I sit here and I see people trying to say that buttons are better for turn signals and a yoke steering wheel is actually great when those things are not great, but they can't admit that they're not because Elon said they were great. "I love being blinded all the time from the sun through my roof with no shade!" Sure you do!

"I actually love that there is no HUD or ventillated seats, because its just way better without those things" lol, okay. Like Apple removing the headphone jack or removing all the ports from their laptops...that was stupid. "I like my laptop better with less ports" said no one ever....except an Apple fanboy. Tesla is the same way.
I must be around a lot of cultish people, because I am around thousands of Tesla owners, which includes co-workers, friends and family. Most new cars bought here are Model Y and 3. As a former Toyota and Lexus owner (more than 30 years of ownership) surrounded by buttons and ***** most of my adult life, I thought I would hate Tesla's implementation, until I actually lived with it. Now I love it, and it's my preference, nothing to do with cultish behavior. I'm not sure why you can't accept that people are fine with no or limited buttons. You like buttons and *****. OK, I'm perfectly fine with that, I don't think that strange, just your preference. But you seem to find Tesla users loving their screens as cultish. I just don't get it.

BTW I've never owned an Apple product. I'm Windows and Android, so no cultish behavior here. Just a normal enthusiast that loves EVs

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-22-23 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 07:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

And BTW, sorry, but that thing you posted is just complete laughable nonsense trying to explain away Tesla's massive success. I would laugh if it wasn't such as sad attempt. I'm not even going to address that
Old 12-22-23, 07:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why do you feel the need to defend yourself? There isn’t any reason to. I think you’re a little culty in your defense of Tesla against what aren’t even criticisms of Tesla, but I am not saying you only like your Tesla because of “the cult”. Tesla is a phenomenon. There is nothing to defend. Apple is the same thing.

And BTW, sorry, but that thing you posted is just complete laughable nonsense trying to explain away Tesla's massive success. I would laugh if it wasn't such as sad attempt. I'm not even going to address that
The article isn’t explaining away their success, it’s explaining why they are successful. None of this is an accident, Elon Musk made it this way. This is how he wants it. He’s a brilliant marketer.

And it’s only written by someone with a doctorate in psychology who specializes in buyer behavior and psychology but what do they know? How many degrees in psychology do you have? (I have one, my wife has 2)

This is a real thing, academic papers have been written about it.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-22-23 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 08:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Why do you feel the need to defend yourself? There isn’t any reason to. I think you’re a little culty in your defense of Tesla against what aren’t even criticisms of Tesla, but I am not saying you only like your Tesla because of “the cult”. Tesla is a phenomenon. There is nothing to defend. Apple is the same thing.

The article isn’t explaining away their success, it’s explaining why they are successful. None of this is an accident, Elon Musk made it this way. This is how he wants it. He’s a brilliant marketer.

And it’s only written by someone with a doctorate in psychology who specializes in buyer behavior and psychology but what do they know? How many degrees in psychology do you have? (I have one, my wife has 2)

This is a real thing, academic papers have been written about it.
I agree. There is no need for me to defend Tesla. That's where I totally agree with you. As far as Elon being a brilliant marketer, I absolutely agree. But the days of the Model S being the trendy car to own is long over. The Cyber truck is the exception. There is nothing trendy about owning a Model 3 or Y. Just regular buyers, most Tesla buyers today don't even like Elon musk anymore. The people who love him most today would never buy a Tesla, they do love X though

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-22-23 at 08:05 PM.
Old 12-22-23, 08:29 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

This is always a fun surprise

The following 3 users liked this post by signdetres:
AMIRZA786 (12-22-23), BayeauxLex (12-22-23), bowser (12-23-23)
Old 12-22-23, 08:30 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I agree. There is no need for me to defend Tesla. That's where I totally agree with you. As far as Elon being a brilliant marketer, I absolutely agree. But the days of the Model S being the trendy car to own is long over. The Cyber truck is the exception. There is nothing trendy about owning a Model 3 or Y. Just regular buyers, most Tesla buyers today don't even like Elon musk anymore. The people who love him most today would never buy a Tesla, they do love X though
That just isn’t true. Look at any Tesla event lol.

Not everybody who buys a Tesla is cultish about it. I own and like Apple products, but I am not culty about them. I do however completely agree the Apple cult is real.

Originally Posted by signdetres

I love that in MBUX!
signdetres (12-23-23)
Old 12-22-23, 08:58 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Here is an article about the Tesla Cult from Psychology Today. Find another carmaker who's following has been written about in Psychology Today?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...ult-psychology
Seems like much of this was plagiarized from a Motley Fool article from 2014.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...mers/15139377/

That said, there are quite a few cult followers on the Tesla forums. Not so much here, except for that one member who hasn't posted recently. The Tesla forums are starting to get watered down with new members, so it's getting better. I would put Tesla 2nd on the "cult" scale, a bit behind Apple. I didn't buy one to be in a cult. I bought it because it was the best choice for us as our first EV. It hasn't disappointed, even though I'm not in love with their minimalistic approach to everything. I'm really hoping the competition picks up and becomes competitive with them in the $60k range by the time I replace my Ford.
AMIRZA786 (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 09:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You’re a normal buyer, not a cult buyer. Like me with Apple lol
Old 12-22-23, 09:15 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

I mistakenly found this forum just looking around bored one night and I’ve learned so much about EVs in general over the past few months. I have a couple friends who drive a Tesla. Sometimes I take information from here and relay it my friends who drive a Tesla just to get their personal experience. I remember one instance I shared someone’s post with my friend and he replied “that must be Elon’s burner account.” 🤣 So there’s definitely some fanboyism floating around but hey you like what you like and that’s ok.
The following 2 users liked this post by BayeauxLex:
AMIRZA786 (12-22-23), SW17LS (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 09:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I mistakenly found this forum just looking around bored one night and I’ve learned so much about EVs in general over the past few months. I have a couple friends who drive a Tesla. Sometimes I take information from here and relay it my friends who drive a Tesla just to get their personal experience. I remember one instance I shared someone’s post with my friend and he replied “that must be Elon’s burner account.” 🤣 So there’s definitely some fanboyism floating around but hey you like what you like and that’s ok.
Lol hopefully you weren't showing him a post from me 🤣. Glad you found us!
BayeauxLex (12-22-23)
Old 12-22-23, 10:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You’re a normal buyer, not a cult buyer. Like me with Apple lol
Well, whatever you think of Tesla or Tesla owners, speaking for myself, I am glad you post here. We all look forward to you soon getting an i7 or similar. Maybe the new RR?
Old 12-23-23, 07:41 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Why thank you lol. If RR means Range Rover and not Rolls Royce then maybe lol

My thing is I don't want to pay a markup and I don't want to wait, so that pretty much disqualifies any Range Rover
Old 12-23-23, 07:56 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 886 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres

I just saw this morning that the phone app updated too!

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation