EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 01:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,149 Likes on 1,671 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
ClubLexus is nothing compared to the fan following Tesla has. Where is the worldwide streaming and media coverage of a Lexus reveal?
People are just not excited about Lexus. Great cars, but nothing exciting other than a few like the LC, IS500, RCF etc. BTW, in two years I've seen like only two LC's, and zero IS500's, which means there is not much excitement.

That's the brilliance of Tesla. When Elon is not putting his foot in his mouth, he's creating excitement for the company. Tesla spends no money on marketing, and yet Model Y and Model 3 are the two best selling cars in California. He took a page from Steve Jobs and put in some steroids...minus the marketing budget, which Apple spends a lot on. When Elon is not putting his foot in his mouth, the guys brilliant.

Yeah Tesla does have some overzealous fans that can be obnoxious, but I've only met one or two. Most you find online. Maybe that where Tesla's marketing dollar is going LoL.

And lastly, I think Spywolf may have hit on something. As a Tesla owner myself, other than trying to correct misinformation, I really don't care what Elon says and does, or if others think Tesla's are ugly or stupid, unless I'm wearing my investor hat. I want the stock to go straight up, and keep climbing. Occasional dips opening up buying opportunities is fine, but when the stock plummets, I can see long term investors trying to pump it back up anyway they can
Old 12-28-23, 01:49 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Received 109 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
People are just not excited about Lexus. Great cars, but nothing exciting other than a few like the LC, IS500, RCF etc. BTW, in two years I've seen like only two LC's, and zero IS500's, which means there is not much excitement.

That's the brilliance of Tesla. When Elon is not putting his foot in his mouth, he's creating excitement for the company. Tesla spends no money on marketing, and yet Model Y and Model 3 are the two best selling cars in California. He took a page from Steve Jobs and put in some steroids...minus the marketing budget, which Apple spends a lot on. When Elon is not putting his foot in his mouth, the guys brilliant.

Yeah Tesla does have some overzealous fans that can be obnoxious, but I've only met one or two. Most you find online. Maybe that where Tesla's marketing dollar is going LoL.

And lastly, I think Spywolf may have hit on something. As a Tesla owner myself, other than trying to correct misinformation, I really don't care what Elon says and does, or if others think Tesla's are ugly or stupid, unless I'm wearing my investor hat. I want the stock to go straight up, and keep climbing. Occasional dips opening up buying opportunities is fine, but when the stock plummets, I can see long term investors trying to pump it back up anyway they can
Is excitement the right word? I personally can't imagine looking at a model 3/y/x and feel excited lol. Nothing against Tesla, because I have the same feeling towards most EVs including BMW, taycan, etc. The only EVs I can think of that I had the feeling of excitement was the Rivian r1t, cyber truck, VW Buzz.

It's really subjective but when you say excitement, for example do fans of Tesla turn their heads when they see a Tesla? When I see a LC500, GSF, ISF my head is on a swivel lol. I know it will be the same for the cybertruck.

It's funny how before Lexus was seen as having no soul and that's how I view tesla.

Maybe it's the rarity that excites me? Because even seeing a C63 which imo looks similar to a regular c class, I get excited and turn my head staring.

​​​​​​It also may be because of my own personal outlook, don't want a vehicle that is common. I don't want a black / grey / white vehicle. I don't want an iPhone. Even supercars, I would take the new ford gt or lfa over any Lambo, McLaren, ferrari.
The following users liked this post:
LexTess (12-28-23)
Old 12-28-23, 01:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

You mean…like a cult leader? lol
LexTess (12-28-23)
Old 12-28-23, 01:55 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blaze876
Is excitement the right word? I personally can't imagine looking at a model 3/y/x and feel excited lol. Nothing against Tesla, because I have the same feeling towards most EVs including BMW, taycan, etc. The only EVs I can think of that I had the feeling of excitement was the Rivian r1t, cyber truck, VW Buzz.

It's really subjective but when you say excitement, for example do fans of Tesla turn their heads when they see a Tesla? When I see a LC500, GSF, ISF my head is on a swivel lol. I know it will be the same for the cybertruck.

It's funny how before Lexus was seen as having no soul and that's how I view tesla.

Maybe it's the rarity that excites me? Because even seeing a C63 which imo looks similar to a regular c class, I get excited and turn my head staring.

​​​​​​It also may be because of my own personal outlook, don't want a vehicle that is common. I don't want a black / grey / white vehicle. I don't want an iPhone. Even supercars, I would take the new ford gt or lfa over any Lambo, McLaren, ferrari.
You are absolutely correct, there is nothing exciting about a Model Y and Model 3...what makes them exciting is that they are fun to drive and super efficient. I think people are also intrigued about the software and tech, which is constantly getting better every OTA update. Think of the Model Y as a RAV4 and the Model 3 as the Camry....except they are fun to drive. I bought the Model Y due to it's super utility as a family SUV, not because I thought it was super exciting.

The Polestar on the other hand....put your foot down and damn...that's fun!
Old 12-28-23, 01:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You mean…like a cult leader? lol
Yes, I guess you can call him that. I don't consider him my leader in any sense of the word, just a really smart guy who figured out how to build great BEV's and make them popular. Or at least was able to build a brilliant team of engineers

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-28-23 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-28-23, 02:33 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,932 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Using the term cult is pure cope, desperately trying to explain a companies massive success. Apple is flat out a cult go to any Apple store it's disturbing on some level. I'll be very happy if Tesla stock goes to the cult level of Apple that will give me about a 40x return. Bring on the cult.
Buzz is a massive let down. It's slow, software is terrible interior materials are super cheap. I'm very disappointed, the idea of the Buzz is awesome.
Old 12-28-23, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Apple is also a cult, I’ve said that repeatedly.
Old 12-28-23, 02:41 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

You are absolutely correct, there is nothing exciting about a Model Y and Model 3...what makes them exciting is that they are fun to drive and super efficient. I think people are also intrigued about the software and tech, which is constantly getting better every OTA update. Think of the Model Y as a RAV4 and the Model 3 as the Camry....except they are fun to drive. I bought the Model Y due to it's super utility as a family SUV, not because I thought it was super exciting.

The Polestar on the other hand....put your foot down and damn...that's fun!
HAha I like the examples you provided. A rav4 and a Camry which I agree is in no way exciting lol. I used to be excited for the new android OS every year, now I delay installing it for months. As an owner I can see the excitement of it being fun to drive and fast but as an onlooker it does nothing...same goes for a Camry and rav4. The tech I'm still not a believer it will ever be completed in my life time. I am referring to level 5, no restrictions, by any manufacturer / company.
Old 12-28-23, 02:41 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,932 Likes on 2,469 Posts

Cult generally means a SMALL GROUP of people engaging in self destructive and sinister behaviour. It's the wrong term, applied as cope like I said.
The tech I'm still not a believer it will ever be completed in my life time. I am referring to level 5, no restrictions, by any manufacturer / company.
It will happen for sure. The rate of improvement strongly points to this.
Old 12-28-23, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That’s one definition. This is the other definition that applies to Tesla and Apple both:

a misplaced or excessive admiration for a particular person or thing.
LexTess (12-28-23)
Old 12-28-23, 02:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

HAha I like the examples you provided. A rav4 and a Camry which I agree is in no way exciting lol. I used to be excited for the new android OS every year, now I delay installing it for months. As an owner I can see the excitement of it being fun to drive and fast but as an onlooker it does nothing...same goes for a Camry and rav4. The tech I'm still not a believer it will ever be completed in my life time. I am referring to level 5, no restrictions, by any manufacturer / company.
I'm not one of those that really care much about Level 3 or Level 4 autonomous driving, this tech is only useful to me as crash mitigation or assisting me in spotting and maybe reacting faster than I can in crash avoidance, and maybe handling driving in stop and go scenarios.

Let me rephrase a little. I compare the Model Y and 3 to RAV4 and Camry in the sense that both these car's serve a utilitarian purpose, and are geared for everyday drivers, but if you rate a RAV4 as a 7, than a Model Y is a 15....IMO of course. Not putting down the RAV4, but it's primitive in comparison. What makes the Model Y and 3 better cars...IMO of course is they are so far ahead technically in software, driving dynamics and efficiency that's no contest between the two. The only advantage the RAV4 has is it has further range...but for someone like me that's not that important

I actually enjoy daily driving my Y, where as if I had a RAV4 or Camry, I wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't necessarily enjoy it

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 12-28-23 at 02:57 PM.
Old 12-28-23, 04:00 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

I'm not one of those that really care much about Level 3 or Level 4 autonomous driving, this tech is only useful to me as crash mitigation or assisting me in spotting and maybe reacting faster than I can in crash avoidance, and maybe handling driving in stop and go scenarios.

Let me rephrase a little. I compare the Model Y and 3 to RAV4 and Camry in the sense that both these car's serve a utilitarian purpose, and are geared for everyday drivers, but if you rate a RAV4 as a 7, than a Model Y is a 15....IMO of course. Not putting down the RAV4, but it's primitive in comparison. What makes the Model Y and 3 better cars...IMO of course is they are so far ahead technically in software, driving dynamics and efficiency that's no contest between the two. The only advantage the RAV4 has is it has further range...but for someone like me that's not that important

I actually enjoy daily driving my Y, where as if I had a RAV4 or Camry, I wouldn't hate it, but I wouldn't necessarily enjoy it
I made an error in my wording for the last post. In no way shape or form did I mean a Camry or rav4 is fun to drive as a model y or 3 lol. I agree with out on all your points except I would trust a rav4 more offroad than a model y.

As an investor I thought you would care more about autonomous driving since Tesla calls themselves a tech/ai company and not an auto company.
AMIRZA786 (12-28-23)
Old 12-28-23, 04:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I made an error in my wording for the last post. In no way shape or form did I mean a Camry or rav4 is fun to drive as a model y or 3 lol. I agree with out on all your points except I would trust a rav4 more offroad than a model y.

As an investor I thought you would care more about autonomous driving since Tesla calls themselves a tech/ai company and not an auto company.
Got it. There's actually a video showing a model Y outperforming several off road vehicles on a sand dune, you can either find it in my Model Y thread or the Tesla business thread. Also, model Y has a snow mode, which I haven't tried... because we don't have snow here. That said, I would never take my Y off roading
Old 12-28-23, 04:17 PM
Blaze876
Instructor

Got it. There's actually a video showing a model Y outperforming several off road vehicles on a sand dune, you can either find it in my Model Y thread or the Tesla business thread. Also, model Y has a snow mode, which I haven't tried... because we don't have snow here. That said, I would never take my Y off roading
It has more to do with ground clearance and the battery getting damaged hitting a rock. The sienna has more ground clearance.
AMIRZA786 (12-28-23)
Old 12-28-23, 04:51 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 658 Likes on 492 Posts

Also, model Y has a snow mode
Really, ours doesn't. It hasn't snowed here yet, so we haven't had the opportunity to see how it drives, but everything I've seen just says to run in Chill mode. Some say to use off-road mode to keep the front/rear power bias more equal. The big concern is with regen braking.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation