EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-24, 01:25 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
In 2007 I questioned my wife who spent twice as much on a MacBook as I spent on my windows laptop. Fast forward to this day, that MacBook still works. It doesn't last long on the battery but it outlasted my windows laptop. I don’t recall that ‘07 MacBook having a virus or some type of virus protection as I believe it’s built into the software like an iPhone and iPad???? I could be wrong.
MacBook hardware is definitely better than Windows laptop hardware, especially around that era (2007). Consumer windows laptops were extremely crappy. As far as vulnerabilities, no OS connected to the Internet is immune. Your system could be connected to a command and control server, and most people would never know they were compromised.

For someone like my wife, a MacBook is a colossal waste of money. I could buy her a decently speced laptop and a spare. As far as myself, I get company laptops, my current one is a Dell precision which is more powerful than a lot of desktops. If I had a MacBook, I would end up using Parallels and running windows on it anyway

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-01-24 at 01:51 AM.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (01-01-24)
Old 01-01-24, 03:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I just bought my wife an Acer Aspire 5 for $530 plus 10 percent off using an Amazon coupon

Excellent build quality, 15.6" 1080P display, 20GB RAM, 1TB SSD drive, AMD Ryzen 4 core processor. Thin and light, and lightning fast. Windows 11 has a feature that won't let her install or run unauthorized applications, and I run her account as non admin so she can't do any major damage . Her last laptop that this is replacing was a crappy HP, she got about 3 years out it. She will probably get another 4 or 5 years out of this laptop. She mostly just checks her emails and Facebook, and watches Youtube and her dramas. I would never buy her a Macbook because it's just way too expensive for what her use cases are
that definitely qualifies as a cheap (inexpensive, ha) laptop, and sure it will do what she wants. my issues with using something like that are several but here's a few.

1) the screen won't be great. sure it can display windows, youtube, etc., but the color, brightness, and contrast aren't going to be great, but of course many users don't know that or don't care. it's 'good enough'.
2) the touchpad is small and off center because the keyboard has the cramped numeric pad smushed on the right side.
3) for her 'use cases' she would be far better off with an ipad which is lighter, fast, simpler, can be cheaper, more convenient to carry around, no need to mess with admin/standard users, adding antivirus software, etc.

i just got a docking station for my macbook pro that cost almost as much as your wife's new laptop, lol.
Old 01-01-24, 11:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I have been using Mac laptops since 2009, I really don’t see any difference in build quality. The MacBook airs and the last gen MacBook Pro are much thinner and lighter, which I suppose could make them feel less solid, but the latest MBPs are thicker and even more sturdy feeling.

I would never even consider going back to Windows
Old 01-01-24, 12:02 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I have been using Mac laptops since 2009, I really don’t see any difference in build quality. The MacBook airs and the last gen MacBook Pro are much thinner and lighter, which I suppose could make them feel less solid, but the latest MBPs are thicker and even more sturdy feeling.

Yes, I had a Sony VAIO with the Windows system, and two Apple Mac Airs. Absolutely no comparison. The Macs blew it away...IMHO the best laptops on the market.
Old 01-01-24, 12:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I had a Sony VAIO with the Windows system, and two Apple Mac Airs. Absolutely no comparison. The Macs blew it away...IMHO the best laptops on the market.
And even if the new windows laptops became incredible quality I wouldn’t want to go back to Windows
Old 01-01-24, 12:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that definitely qualifies as a cheap (inexpensive, ha) laptop, and sure it will do what she wants. my issues with using something like that are several but here's a few.

1) the screen won't be great. sure it can display windows, youtube, etc., but the color, brightness, and contrast aren't going to be great, but of course many users don't know that or don't care. it's 'good enough'.
2) the touchpad is small and off center because the keyboard has the cramped numeric pad smushed on the right side.
3) for her 'use cases' she would be far better off with an ipad which is lighter, fast, simpler, can be cheaper, more convenient to carry around, no need to mess with admin/standard users, adding antivirus software, etc.

i just got a docking station for my macbook pro that cost almost as much as your wife's new laptop, lol.
She has an iPad, never uses it. It's been sitting for a couple of months. She prefers a laptop. She will use the Acer for about 4 years or so, then I'll replace it. I'm glad Macs work for you, but she doesn't like MacOS, and she doesn't like the Apple interface.

I totally agree that Apple hardware and software is superior, but it's just not for everyone
Old 01-01-24, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

She has an iPad, never uses it. It's been sitting for a couple of months. She prefers a laptop. She will use the Acer for about 4 years or so, then I'll replace it. I'm glad Macs work for you, but she doesn't like MacOS, and she doesn't like the Apple interface
Have you tried the iPad with the laptop case?

And just to be sure you realize the irony, I sense your frustration with arguing with someone who says her preferences are wrong or backwards. Why do I sense it? Because it’s the same frustration I feel when arguing with Tesla fans about my preferences
Old 01-01-24, 12:24 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Have you tried the iPad with the laptop case?
Are you talking about a case with a keyboard? No, she hasn't, but I have. She already has a new laptop, she won't go to the iPad. She's a creature of habit. I'll probably start using the iPad LoL
Old 01-01-24, 12:30 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

iPad/iPad OS and the magic keyboard with touchpad makes for a fantastic laptop alternative. Apple Silicon powered iPads are extremely fast and extremely capable.
AMIRZA786 (01-01-24)
Old 01-01-24, 12:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Are you talking about a case with a keyboard? No, she hasn't, but I have. She already has a new laptop, she won't go to the iPad. She's a creature of habit. I'll probably start using the iPad LoL
I’ve struggled with using an iPad personally…
AMIRZA786 (01-01-24)
Old 01-01-24, 12:45 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 99 Likes on 83 Posts

FOr me it's not about build quality that you can see, I mentioned in a previous post it's durability and reliability. Not durability of the case, but internal. A battery in a laptop is a wear item, yet still they glue the battery to the top case. To replace it you have to replace it and the whole top case, costing hundreds of dollars. There are many examples but just giving you an idea.

Their cases, materials, LCD, touchpad are top notch. Their keyboards are decent but not close to being as good as others on the market.

If you love Mac os though it's your only option and dont fault someone for not liking windows.
Old 01-01-24, 12:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

And even if the new windows laptops became incredible quality I wouldn’t want to go back to Windows
Same, like others say this thing is a beast performance wise.
Old 01-01-24, 12:49 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blaze876
FOr me it's not about build quality that you can see, I mentioned in a previous post it's durability and reliability. Not durability of the case, but internal. A battery in a laptop is a wear item, yet still they glue the battery to the top case. To replace it you have to replace it and the whole top case, costing hundreds of dollars. There are many examples but just giving you an idea.

Their cases, materials, LCD, touchpad are top notch. Their keyboards are decent but not close to being as good as others on the market.

If you love Mac os though it's your only option and dont fault someone for not liking windows.
I just haven’t had any issues requiring repairs. When the batteries wear out I just replace the MacBook. 5+ years…plenty of life. Hundreds of dollars to get years more life out of a $1,500+ MacBook also sounds fine to me.
Old 01-01-24, 12:59 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't even really use a laptop for personal use anymore. I have my company issued Thinkpad for work. It works flawlessly for business purposes.

For personal use, I built my own desktop PC that I use for gaming. This is where Windows absolutely gaps Apple. A Mac would cost significantly more for a similarly specced desktop and still not be able to run most games natively. It's also fun to tinker with and upgrade components over time, though I'm probably now at the edge of what I can do without jumping to a DDR5 compatible motherboard.

​​​​
Old 01-01-24, 01:07 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

It's pretty much a matter of preference. My company's network is a mixture of Windows Server, Linux and Cisco/Meraki switches and firewalls. A few years ago I switched to a Mac, and ended up having to run Windows on it anyway to run Windows server tools, and there was a lot of other third party management software that wouldn't run on MacOS. So for me, using a Mac is more work to get it setup to properly manage my companies network. If I just had Linux servers, than Mac would work fine as I could just Terminal to manage those. The companies IT Manager who manages the desktop side uses a Mac, so it's easier for him as he doesn't have to manage the systems I do, but I've still had to setup a virtual Windows 10 VM that he RDP's into for managing user accounts.

At home I bought an Apple TV because I saw at my friends house the quality, but I found out quickly that it couldn't be managed properly without a Mac. I use a third party application called "Kodi", and first of all I would have to jailbreak the Apple TV to use it, and secondly I would have to have a Mac to "sideload" it, as it's not in the Apple store, although it's freely available in the Google Play store. So I returned it, bought an NVidia Shield (an amazing streaming device) which can be managed by Windows or Mac, and never looked back.

As I've said previously, Apple hardware and software is pretty amazing, but I don't like getting sucked into the Apple ecosystem, which can get expensive

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation