EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 03:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Wow 62k, minivans are priced like crossovers and even some biggie BOFs.
I wouldn't fully option it out like he did, I just need a basic minivan, so I would probably be able to cut some of that fat. Most new cars are now over $50k. Don't let MSRP fool you. The good thing is you have more negotiating power...but not for the Sienna. The sales guy was acting like he was doing us a favor. Talking to several Toyota dealerships in our area, same thing, he wasn't going to walk out any less than $60k for a Minivan with a Camry engine mated to an electric drivetrain. Even used, they are pricey
Old 01-07-24, 04:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, no EV here.

I do really love how it drives in EV mode, both of us do.

Sticker on my PHEV Pacifica with every option was $62k, paid about $55k before the tax credit. Sienna is just overpriced IMO, and totally not compelling...
Phevs are definitely gateways. Everyone i know loves how their phev drives in EV mode.

You seemed like you researched it enough, and you know the strengths and weaknesses.

Once integration with SUC network starts, anything over 330 miles of range will work for you.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 04:54 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Tesla Model X Plaid owner's impression of a Rivian R1T

Old 01-07-24, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I need to replace my aging 2013 Sienna next year, I may actually take a closer look at the Pacifica PHEV. I'm seeing a lot of them on the roads.

The Sienna Hybrid is completely ridiculous. MSRP is around $42k, but after the dealership markup it came to around $60k LoL . Wouldn't negotiate. We just walked right out
I think the least expensive PHEV Pacificas are in the low $50s.

Remember though with Chryslers there are a ton of incentives, and the tax credit is still available. All in including the tax credit I paid about $48k for the Pacifica.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Wow 62k, minivans are priced like crossovers and even some biggie BOFs.
Trunk money!

But, with that said it’s a very highly equipped vehicle and has a lot of luxury, it’s worth $60k MSRP IMO
AMIRZA786 (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 06:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I think the least expensive PHEV Pacificas are in the low $50s.

Remember though with Chryslers there are a ton of incentives, and the tax credit is still available. All in including the tax credit I paid about $48k for the Pacifica.

Trunk money!

But, with that said it’s a very highly equipped vehicle and has a lot of luxury, it’s worth $60k MSRP IMO
Oh, I’m sure it is. Those are super nice.
Old 01-07-24, 07:55 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
Sounds like a nice trip with few minutes of charging.

What exactly is your problem with it?

​​​​He can check with his own car on how many charges it will need before he leaves, and it will account for some of his driving style.
He has a gas car that will make that full roadtrip on 1 tank of gas but choses to drive the Tesla instead

You want a vehicle that can do 467 miles roundtrip on the highway at 75-80 mph without any charging? I assume you probably want to do that with 80% range?

There is no EV that can do that, nor will there be an EV that can do that. Maybe in Australia where thats a real problem? I dont see that happening in western countries.
I would say I make that same 200-210 one way trip more often then I do the 467 mile roundtrip but I can do that 210+ miles on 1 tank of gas in our LX or Tundra while trailering a car.

With that being said on that 467 mile roundtrip the LX and older Tundra would be the last vehicle I choose to drive unless I have to tow or I’m hauling 5 or more people. For example I made that drive recently with just my son so I drove the Prius.

Hopefully the battery range and charging infrastructure continues to improve over the years but gas option just seem like a better option on road trips thus far. In the city/ around town, EV hands down.
Old 01-07-24, 08:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
He has a gas car that will make that full roadtrip on 1 tank of gas but choses to drive the Tesla instead

I would say I make that same 200-210 one way trip more often then I do the 467 mile roundtrip but I can do that 210+ miles on 1 tank of gas in our LX or Tundra while trailering a car.

With that being said on that 467 mile roundtrip the LX and older Tundra would be the last vehicle I choose to drive unless I have to tow or I’m hauling 5 or more people. For example I made that drive recently with just my son so I drove the Prius.

Hopefully the battery range and charging infrastructure continues to improve over the years but gas option just seem like a better option on road trips thus far. In the city/ around town, EV hands down.
The Tesla (or the Polestar or Ioniq for that matter) are funner to drive. Instant when you need it, smooth power. There was only one time last summer when I took the Polestar things spiralled against me, but I've also had trips go south with gas cars as well
BayeauxLex (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 08:11 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by LeX2K
He's creating an impossible scenario on purpose.
As others have mentioned, impossible at this time in an EV or impossible to you in what you currently drive. My daily is a RAV4 prime in EV mode. I carry my level 1 charger and a 75ft extension cord in the trunk for when I charge at work or wherever I am stopped for a while, long enough to get some juice.

Yeah, you can do that with good sedan with 100kwh battery, or suv with a bit larger battery.

But 467 miles at 75mph with real life conditions, rain, cold, hills, not starting at 100% and finishing at 0%, just not realistic.

Also, while it is possible to get 150kwh battery in sedan in the future, it will cost a lot more and be a lot heavier, not a real choice.

In reality, even with better efficiencies and larger/lighter batteries, around 300 miles can be a realistic goal for the future.

And yeah, not with trucks. Because that huge battery comes at cost, and it is heavy, plus charges slower.
Thank you. My friend charges to 100% at home before he starts his trip but as he stated on his way back home he said all 8 supercharger stalls were occupied and I believe he said it’s only a level 2??? (Maybe wording that wrong) charger so it doesn’t charge as fast. I believe he said it’s a 150kwh charger. Also he said he was limited to 80% charging on the return trip due to the supercharger being busy.
Old 01-07-24, 08:15 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

As others have mentioned, impossible at this time in an EV or impossible to you in what you currently drive. My daily is a RAV4 prime in EV mode. I carry my level 1 charger and a 75ft extension cord in the trunk for when I charge at work or wherever I am stopped for a while, long enough to get some juice.

Thank you. My friend charges to 100% at home before he starts his trip but as he stated on his way back home he said all 8 supercharger stalls were occupied and I believe he said it’s only a level 2??? (Maybe wording that wrong) charger so it doesn’t charge as fast. I believe he said it’s a 150kwh charger. Also he said he was limited to 80% charging on the return trip due to the supercharger being busy.
150 kW is level 3. Also, they actually don't limit you to 80 percent. The limit changes automatically if superchargers are busy, you can manually change it to back to whatever you want
Old 01-07-24, 08:22 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

I need to replace my aging 2013 Sienna next year, I may actually take a closer look at the Pacifica PHEV. I'm seeing a lot of them on the roads.

The Sienna Hybrid is completely ridiculous. MSRP is around $42k, but after the dealership markup it came to around $60k LoL . Wouldn't negotiate. We just walked right out
When you said you were all in on BEV, I didn’t think you would buy another gas vehicle. Also would you travel for a better deal/no markup?

We tried to buy a RX locally but found a better deal 3hrs away. We even told our local dealer, hey if you can match it we will give you our business but they wouldn’t bulge. I recently bought a truck almost 1,000 miles away one way because it was exactly what I wanted and I liked the deal. We purchase a lot of vehicles out of state for the better deal/selection.
Old 01-07-24, 08:23 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

150 kW is level 3. Also, they actually don't limit you to 80 percent. The limit changes automatically if superchargers are busy, you can manually change it to back to whatever you want
Yes thanks for clearing that up. He said all 8 stalls were occupied while he was charging so he was limited to 80% to start his roadtrip back home.
Old 01-07-24, 08:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

When you said you were all in on BEV, I didn’t think you would buy another gas vehicle. Also would you travel for a better deal/no markup?

We tried to buy a RX locally but found a better deal 3hrs away. We even told our local dealer, hey if you can match it we will give you our business but they wouldn’t bulge. I recently bought a truck almost 1,000 miles away one way because it was exactly what I wanted and I liked the deal. We purchase a lot of vehicles out of state for the better deal/selection.
There is no BEV replacement for a Minivan as of this moment. If there was, that would be on my list. And yes, I definitely would travel for a better deal
BayeauxLex (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 08:40 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Yes thanks for clearing that up. He said all 8 stalls were occupied while he was charging so he was limited to 80% to start his roadtrip back home.
As I mentioned previously, it's not a hard limit. You can change it during the charging session. He may have thought it was a set limit
BayeauxLex (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 08:42 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Tesla Model X Plaid owner's impression of a Rivian R1T

https://youtu.be/-8MsXzKnLog?si=r_yn5jfpli4kUGam
gjeebs has a rivian now?
AMIRZA786 (01-07-24)
Old 01-07-24, 08:44 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
gjeebs has a rivian now?
He bought it for his channel. He's had a bunch of cars, including a Macan GT. He still has his Y

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation