EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 09:41 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'm tired about hearing how great California is for owning an EV. I'm happy for you but not for all the other issues I read about of living there. There are 49 other States. I have to wonder how long it will take the rest of the country to see these Tesla supercharging stations. I have not seen one here on the east coast. I have to say I am seeing more Tesla's on the road lately here in Fl. however. So maybe in a few years or more, we will see. I'm holding out for hydrogen though.
Florida has the country's second highest number of registered EVs and the second largest number of Tesla superchargers after California.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 09:43 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and pay a heck of a lot more.

i've entertained getting a motorhome, but the gas consumption is crazy.
I'm sorry friend but nobody will believe you are hurting for gas 💰 money. Haha

Problem with a motor home is it sounds like a great Idea and you might like it at first until your wife tells you she likes hotel rooms better and it just sits there for years not being used.

Happened to people I know

Originally Posted by rogerh00
I'm tired about hearing how great California is for owning an EV. I'm happy for you but not for all the other issues I read about of living there. There are 49 other States. I have to wonder how long it will take the rest of the country to see these Tesla supercharging stations. I have not seen one here on the east coast. I have to say I am seeing more Tesla's on the road lately here in Fl. however. So maybe in a few years or more, we will see. I'm holding out for hydrogen though.
Mr. Miagi says, "Patience, Daniel son".
Old 01-08-24, 10:33 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Now that I don't have to buy gas, there's no way I want to go back to $80 a week gas fill-up's, even if I can afford it. Also, you don't charge for 30 minutes, it's a quick stop, 10 or 12 minutes, by the time I take a **** I'm ready to move on.

There's nothing written in stone that you can't own both. That's an individual choice. I still have my Sienna, although I barely use it. Many people I know own both
Bro, not everywhere is like California with the infrastructure. WADR, you don't seem to get that. There are a million Teslas around here but 10 total Superchargers in a city of close to a million. 8 at Walmart and 2 at the dealer which the public doesn't have access to. And this is a pretty progressive, liberal city.

Only 15% of all chargers nationwide are able to charge that quickly out of all of them, and I'm sure most are in California, so the inconvenience is minimal.

Before this family emergency came up I felt the same way (own both!) but this really brought it into perspective. How many friggin gas stations are there from here to Florida? I/we were so flustered that even stopping to fill up made us anxious. I couldn't even imagine having to locate and wait for charging.

Nobody died but imagine if you got the call "get here, they're about to go.." that people usually get and you live several hundred miles away. People gonna hop in their EVs or ICE cars? Let's be honest here.

Most of us all have multiple cars, just own both! Problem solved!!!
Margate330 (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 10:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Bro, not everywhere is like California with the infrastructure. WADR, you don't seem to get that. There are a million Teslas around here but 10 total Superchargers in a city of close to a million. 8 at Walmart and 2 at the dealer which the public doesn't have access to. And this is a pretty progressive, liberal city.

Only 15% of all chargers nationwide are able to charge that quickly out of all of them, and I'm sure most are in California, so the inconvenience is minimal.

Before this family emergency came up I felt the same way (own both!) but this really brought it into perspective. How many friggin gas stations are there from here to Florida? I/we were so flustered that even stopping to fill up made us anxious. I couldn't even imagine having to locate and wait for charging.

Nobody died but imagine if you got the call "get here, they're about to go.." that people usually get and you live several hundred miles away. People gonna hop in their EVs or ICE cars? Let's be honest here.

I don't know why you are blowing a gasket here Lol . Nobody is saying you should buy an EV. If doesn't work for you, than, it doesn't work for you. This is an EV subform, btw LoL 🤣. If I was in the Car Chat forum pushing EV's, than that would possibly be a reason to get upset, but this is EV Chat, so I'm pushing EV's
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
LeX2K (01-08-24), Mike728 (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 10:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I don't care about my gas bill. We can afford it.

Also, EVs present a challenge when traveling if you don't live in California. I definitely don't get out of my car for 30 minutes every 300 miles (you didn't say that-someone else did) even after multiple back surgeries.

Why not just own both??? If I ever bought an EV I'd hold on to an ICE... Solved!!
Its not about being able to afford it, its about wanting to pay the money for it. I pay enough in gas to buy a whole other car. If I can get rid of the $400-500 a month I pay for gas I am all for that. Thats a small vacation.

As to why not have both, because once you get used to the EV you don't want to drive the gas car.
The following 3 users liked this post by SW17LS:
AMIRZA786 (01-08-24), bowser (01-08-24), Margate330 (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 11:12 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Tell me more about how great gas cars are that's why I come to this forum.
The following 3 users liked this post by LeX2K:
AMIRZA786 (01-08-24), Margate330 (01-08-24), SW17LS (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 11:29 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

There's always unforeseen things that come up in life.

All we can do is our best and that has to be good enough.

I like the idea of having one of each someday.

I don't know why you are blowing a gasket here Lol . Nobody is saying you should buy an EV. If doesn't work for you, than, it doesn't work for you. This is an EV subform, btw LoL 🤣. If I was in the Car Chat forum pushing EV's, than that would possibly be a reason to get upset, but this is EV Chat, so I'm pushing EV's
Ev pusher.... Lolol
Sorry, had to do it.

Hey, at least you aren't pushing something bad.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its not about being able to afford it, its about wanting to pay the money for it. I pay enough in gas to buy a whole other car. If I can get rid of the $400-500 a month I pay for gas I am all for that. Thats a small vacation.

As to why not have both, because once you get used to the EV you don't want to drive the gas car.
I have work that needs done.
Vacations are for slackers...
Spoiler

Old 01-08-24, 11:31 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tell me more about how great gas cars are that's why I come to this forum.
I'll start a new thread on it for ya'll. Haha
Oh wait, this is the EV forum. 😄. 🤖. 🚀
Old 01-08-24, 11:44 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
There's always unforeseen things that come up in life.

All we can do is our best and that has to be good enough.

I like the idea of having one of each someday.

Ev pusher.... Lolol
Sorry, had to do it.

Hey, at least you aren't pushing something bad.

I have work that needs done.
Vacations are for slackers...
Spoiler

Button pusher 😂
Old 01-08-24, 12:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Who is blowing a gasket??? Lol. I'm not saying that anyone is saying that I'm saying an EV is being pushed on me!!!! Y'all are too defensive. I'm not pushing anything. I just was explaining something that happened real world, that's why if I were an EV owner I'd keep both that and ICE.

Nobody really answered my question. If Mom is dying and the hospital gives you the call and you live in another state, are you going for the EV or ICE??

Don't get all defensive. That's why I'm saying own both!!!

Not pushing or not pushing anything, I think that's a legitimate solution though.

Originally Posted by SW17LS

I just would keep an ICE for travel if I loved the EV so much, we all own multiple cars. No big deal.
Old 01-08-24, 12:29 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 722 Likes on 452 Posts

For the distance mentioned in a prior post I’m flying and renting a car the other end.
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (01-08-24), Mike728 (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 12:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Who is blowing a gasket??? Lol. I'm not saying that anyone is saying that I'm saying an EV is being pushed on me!!!!
Dude, this is the electric vehicle forum and this is the general EV thread if you don't want EVs "pushed" on you this is not the place to be.
Y'all are too defensive. I'm not pushing anything. I just was explaining something that happened real world, that's why if I were an EV owner I'd keep both that and ICE.
As someone that owns 6 gas cars I can't see myself buying another unless it happens to be a cherry condition classic. Once you own an EV there is no going back.
Nobody really answered my question. If Mom is dying and the hospital gives you the call and you live in another state, are you going for the EV or ICE??
If not flying I would take the Tesla because it will be charged up, my gas cars may or may not need a gas station trip. And in cold weather (it will be -32F here soon) I'd rather not stand in the cold. Assuming they will start.
Old 01-08-24, 12:34 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
you have to accept that does make you a bit of an outlier, though. More likely than not, most people are going to stop at least once or twice on a drive like that, no matter what kind of vehicle they’re driving.
Originally Posted by Margate330
That's what I'm thinking too. Lol

Yeah, maybe when I was in my 20's but at my age I stop every 100 miles to stretch my legs.

I'm not in a rush anymore. Lol
Originally Posted by spwolf
if you cant stop for 30m at least every 3hrs, no EV will ever satisfy you.

It is something i often think about though - for instance, you do spend significant amount of gas through the year, how many times per year do you go to gas station? And how many times per year do you go to over 300 mile road trips?

I also hate it, despite loving my EV, that i have to stop every 200, 300 miles, depending on things, even if my wife has to go to bathroom every 2hrs. In reality when i put down the numbers - i charge on highway around 10 times per year vs previous 40 gas station visits throughout the year (mostly city for gas vs mostly hw for EV), i still save time and inconvenience.

Unfortunately, it is very different road tripping experience, and might not be for everyone. I suspect we will all just get used to it to stop for every 3hrs and charge for 30m, and it will become more convenient for everyone... or some people who go on trips a lot, might actually keep driving petrol/diesel for next 20 years.
So before leaving my house, I start my GPS and it gives me my ETA. Right then in my mind, that’s the latest I want to arrive. Even on family road trips, we pack a bag full of snacks to eliminate stopping for food. As far as stretching my legs every so often that’s when I will set the cruise and stretch my legs. The longest family road trip we take is around 550 miles one way and we stop 1x. Even then I’m itching to get back on the highway. I just don’t want to feel like I’ve been driving/on the road all day. One of my best friends has an E-tron but it has never been left the city let alone been on a road trip because I believe they calculated the 8hr trip would take them over 10hrs with stopping to charge. So instead he employs his 17-18mpg truck for the 550 mile road trip. I believe they make 1 fuel/food stop.

Last year I went on a 200-210 mile one way roadtrip with my sister and nephew and they had to stop 2x and it almost drove me crazy. 1st time my nephew had to use the bathroom. 2nd time, my sister had to use the bathroom + she forgot to fill up with gas prior to getting on the highway and since we were stopped she grabbed them some snacks. After the 2nd stop, I asked to drive. I was ready to get there!!
Old 01-08-24, 12:34 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Who is blowing a gasket??? Lol. I'm not pushing anything. I just was explaining something that happened real world, that's why if I were an EV owner I'd keep both that and ICE.

Don't get all defensive. That's why I'm saying own both!!!

Not pushing or not pushing anything, I think that's a legitimate solution though.
I've already given you that answer. Mom is dying in another state, I'll get online, book the first flight out, and hopefully reach mom before she passes. If I have to pay more for a direct flight, than I'll pay more. No way I'm going to drive to another state, no matter what car I own.

For those that own EV's, it hasn't stopped anything for us. I've owned one EV or another since 2020. And it never stopped me from seeing my father, who lived 400 miles away. When he was hospitalized several times over the last two years, I dropped everything, got in my car, and 7 or 8 hours later I was at his bedside. When he died in May, the family piled in our car and we drove there.

Do EV's work for everyone? Probably not. But I love them, in fact I love them alot, so I'm going to advocate for them. And for those that don't feel they work for them, God bless their souls, I'm fine with that. Don't buy one. That's the legit solution
BayeauxLex (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 12:42 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Dude, this is the electric vehicle forum and this is the general EV thread if you don't want EVs "pushed" on you this is not the place to be.
This makes zero sense.. You are creating an issue where there isn't one. I say own a gas car for trips and I get ripped apart. Read up there again, I never said you said I said EVs were even BEING pushed on me?? Nor did I say anything except the truth that they present challenges for long travel, especially in an emergency. When I say that I'm not saying all of your mothers are *****s.... There's a problem with me suggesting to own both ICE and EV? That's what most people do around here. Sheesh.

If not flying I would take the Tesla because it will be charged up, my gas cars may or may not need a gas station trip. And in cold weather (it will be -32F here soon) I'd rather not stand in the cold. Assuming they will start.
For the sake of argument what if you get the call from the hospital at 10PM and there are no flights until the next day. You gonna wait around til morning or jump in the car if your mother was dying and you had to get there? Everyone does it differently but I just hop in the car immediately, I just had to do it.

For God's sake I'm not saying anything bad about EVs.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation