EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 12:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

"Don't get all defensive. That's why I'm saying own both!!!"

On this point, not everyone wants to own both. Eventually they will come out with an EV minivan, and I will own Zero gas cars. If your solution is owning both and that works for you, then own both. Every individual has to do what's best for themselves
Old 01-08-24, 12:46 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
"Don't get all defensive. That's why I'm saying own both!!!"

On this point, not everyone wants to own both. Eventually they will come out with an EV minivan, and I will own Zero gas cars. If your solution is owning both and that works for you, then own both. Every individual has to do what's best for themselves
Okay, duly noted. Not everyone wants to own both. Jesus. I just thought it was a practical suggestion.
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 12:52 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
This makes zero sense.. You are creating an issue where there isn't one. I say own a gas car for trips and I get ripped apart. Read up there again, I never said you said I said EVs were even BEING pushed on me?? Nor did I say anything except the truth that they present challenges for long travel, especially in an emergency. When I say that I'm not saying all of your mothers are *****s.... There's a problem with me suggesting to own both ICE and EV? That's what most people do around here. Sheesh.
I recently drove to Vancouver and then up the coast, trip in the Y was incredible. It EATS mountain roads like they are nothing. I won't ever do the trip in a gas car again.

Now riddle me this, if I go to Car Chat should I bitterly complain people keep extolling the virtue of petrol cars?
Old 01-08-24, 12:52 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

Okay, duly noted. Not everyone wants to own both. Jesus. I just thought it was a practical suggestion.
It is practical for a lot of people for varying reasons.

Especially for a new EV owner I suspect.
At least that's what I would do. 🚁
Old 01-08-24, 12:53 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You understand that most of us who own EV's own both, correct? This whole thing started when I stated that I wasn't interested in going back to buying expensive gas. Here's what I said:

"Now that I don't have to buy gas, there's no way I want to go back to $80 a week gas fill-up's, even if I can afford it. Also, you don't charge for 30 minutes, it's a quick stop, 10 or 12 minutes, by the time I take a **** I'm ready to move on.

There's nothing written in stone that you can't own both. That's an individual choice. I still have my Sienna, although I barely use it. Many people I know own both"

The last sentence I actually agreed with you, but you still seemed to get upset and throw some stones at California, which I don't understand why when I was actually agreeing with you
Old 01-08-24, 01:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Nobody really answered my question. If Mom is dying and the hospital gives you the call and you live in another state, are you going for the EV or ICE??
I would drive the ICE vehicle if I had one, everybody would. I also would rather not drive a car thats 20 years old in that situation but thats what you have and would drive. The point is there are ALWAYS scenarios where you can find that something does or doesn't work...you can't buy a vehicle for every possible negative scenario you may be confronted with. I'm not going to spend $5,000 a year on fuel for an ICE car in case I might need to drive out of town on a time sensitive emergency...I'm also not going to own an extra car for that situation. In reality if I were confronted with that scenario and I only had an EV I would manage that situation and be fine.

If all I had was an EV and I needed to for some reason drive a 500 mile trip in an emergency, I would rent an ICE car or fly. I would do the same thing if all I had was a 20 year old car too

What if I was escaping a nuclear disaster?! See it just goes down the rabbit hole.

Don't get all defensive. That's why I'm saying own both!!!

Not pushing or not pushing anything, I think that's a legitimate solution though.
The reason you get this reaction here is because everybody knows you are anti-EV and that you are in fact looking at everything from the lens of not wanting EVs to exist or replace ICE cars that you think people should buy instead.
Old 01-08-24, 01:02 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

My God people, excuse me for living.

I didn't insult California, I said not everywhere is like it which is the truth.

Stop telling me I'm upset, lol. Nobody is upset. I'm sorry if it's offensive that I suggested what everyone does here, in this city. Seems to work for them.

Last edited by AJT123; 01-08-24 at 01:05 PM.
Old 01-08-24, 01:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

I didn't insult California, I said not everywhere is like it which is the truth.

Stop telling me I'm upset, lol. Nobody is upset. I'm sorry if it's offensive that I suggested what everyone does here.
Like I said before, what you are seeing is people reacting to everything else you have posted not only what you are posting here. You're clearly anti-EV and you spend a lot of time in here trying to discredit the usability of EVs etc. Not at all surprising that the EV fans here are frustrated by that.

This is exactly the reason why the EV forum was created, so that EV fans wouldn't have to constantly defend the existence and viability of EVs to people who don't have them and don't want them. Every conversation with you about EVs becomes about EVs vs ICE cars and how they are less than.
Old 01-08-24, 01:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I would drive the ICE vehicle if I had one, everybody would.
So my point stands.

I The reason you get this reaction here is because everybody knows you are anti-EV and that you are in fact looking at everything from the lens of not wanting EVs to exist or replace ICE cars that you think people should buy instead.
That's just not true. I can't help it that the thought of how charging wouldn't work in a dire emergency popped into my head on that rushed drive..

I said I wanted a Cybertruck and a Plaid if I had all kinds of money.... more than once.

I'm not slamming EVs, I just said own both.
Old 01-08-24, 01:10 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

This is exactly the reason why the EV forum was created, so that EV fans wouldn't have to constantly defend the existence and viability of EVs to people who don't have them and don't want them. Every conversation with you about EVs becomes about EVs vs ICE cars and how they are less than.
I just brought up a real world situation and said own both. That way you can have all the EV advantages around town (because there are, plenty), and never have to worry about long travel.
Old 01-08-24, 01:10 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Stop telling me I'm upset, lol. Nobody is upset. I'm sorry if it's offensive that I suggested what everyone does here, in this city. Seems to work for them.
I don't care if you insult Calif, and I don't think anyone is offended. You just have to realize that you are in a sub forum where people love EV's. Imagine if I went into a BMW forum and purposed to everyone that they should also own a Toyota or Lexus for travelling purposes because they are more reliable. People wouldn't be too happy, now would they? Anyway, no big deal, your point is taken
BayeauxLex (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 01:14 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I don't care if you insult Calif, and I don't think anyone is offended. You just have to realize that you are in a sub forum where people love EV's. Imagine if I went into a BMW forum and purposed to everyone that they should also own a Toyota or Lexus for travelling purposes because they are more reliable. People wouldn't be too happy, now would they? Anyway, no big deal, your point is taken
I do realize that. I wasn't advocating for everyone to own both, I just thought it was a practical solution. I wasn't insulting California, all I said was infrastructure wise it's the best state BY FAR-- that's actually a compliment.

I just recently found out that you lose range driving above about 75ish which I genuinely didn't know. I asked about it, my throat didn't get jumped down then. Just genuinely want to learn.
BayeauxLex (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 01:18 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Between San Francisco and Los Angeles, there are so many Tesla chargers that travelling in a Tesla is extremely easy, and stress free. IMHO of course. Here is an example of two supercharger stops on the way

Easier to use than a gas pump. Just pull in, plug into the car and it automatically detects your car and begins charging. 10 or 15 minutes later, you are on your way. I know I keep repeating this, but I spend less than 30 minutes the whole trip to Southern California charging. Plus I save a lot of money over gas. My last trip where I drove over a 1200 miles I spent around $120, my gas car I would have spent double that

Originally Posted by swajames
Well we can all afford the gas, that's not an issue for us either.

So here's another way to look at it.

Let's say your EV saves $3500 per year on gas. And let's say you put that $3500 per year in Tesla stock for the past five years.

You'd have the best part of $75,000 today. Couple of years back when TSLA was at its peak and your return at that point would have been well over $100,000.
Now that I don't have to buy gas, there's no way I want to go back to $80 a week gas fill-up's, even if I can afford it. Also, you don't charge for 30 minutes, it's a quick stop, 10 or 12 minutes, by the time I take a **** I'm ready to move on.

There's nothing written in stone that you can't own both. That's an individual choice. I still have my Sienna, although I barely use it. Many people I know own both
So on the Tesla website, it will factor how much money you will save owning whatever Tesla model you’re looking at vs a gas car that gets 25mpg. You can adjust it whatever the mpg is on what you’re comparing it to. Well my PHEV averages 40mpg and I believe over the course of 15k miles per year I believe it said I would save $600/yr driving a MYLR vs my PHEV. So I called my insurance company and got a quote on a MYLR. The 6 month premium came back to $921. The 6 month premium on my PHEV is $529.12. So I’ve had a level 2 charger since April and according to my charger this is how much charging at home has cost me.

April 2023 - $28.31
May 2023 - $41.67
June 2023 - $35.60
July 2023 - $59.71
Aug 2023 - $60.08
Sept 2023 - $58.73
Oct 2023 - $61.77
Nov 2023 - $35.41
Dec 2023 - $47.10
Jan 2024 - $4.92

Fast forward to date, in less than 10 months I’m already over 15k miles in my PHEV and this is with me owning multiple vehicles. I haven’t pumped gas in my PHEV since Sept. 10, 2023, my last road trip in it. I haven’t seen a noticeable increase in my electricity bill because I have average monthly billing where it takes an average of your last 12 months. For the past few months, I started charging at work as well (level 1). I believe if I’m not mistaken, my PHEV has seen 3 tanks of gas in over 15k miles. The first tank lasted 3,325 miles after 3-4 months. Took a road trip, that next tank lasted 3 months up until the last road trip back in Sept. Granted it’s low on gas now but as long as it has EV range, I’m not stopping to put fuel in it. I believe I drive in EV mode just as much or more than some of you here with full BEV vehicles.

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tell me more about how great gas cars are that's why I come to this forum.
I believe you know already. You own 6 of them.

Old 01-08-24, 01:28 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I recently drove to Vancouver and then up the coast, trip in the Y was incredible. It EATS mountain roads like they are nothing. I won't ever do the trip in a gas car again.

Now riddle me this, if I go to Car Chat should I bitterly complain people keep extolling the virtue of petrol cars?
What exactly did your MY do to make it eat mountain roads? What did it do different on those mountain roads that a gas car can’t do? What happened that make you not want to make that trip in a gas car again?

For those who currently don’t own BEVs we are here to learn from those that do and their experiences.
Old 01-08-24, 01:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
So on the Tesla website, it will factor how much money you will save owning whatever Tesla model you’re looking at vs a gas car that gets 25mpg. You can adjust it whatever the mpg is on what you’re comparing it to. Well my PHEV averages 40mpg and I believe over the course of 15k miles per year I believe it said I would save $600/yr driving a MYLR vs my PHEV. So I called my insurance company and got a quote on a MYLR. The 6 month premium came back to $921. The 6 month premium on my PHEV is $529.12. So I’ve had a level 2 charger since April and according to my charger this is how much charging at home has cost me.

April 2023 - $28.31
May 2023 - $41.67
June 2023 - $35.60
July 2023 - $59.71
Aug 2023 - $60.08
Sept 2023 - $58.73
Oct 2023 - $61.77
Nov 2023 - $35.41
Dec 2023 - $47.10
Jan 2024 - $4.92

Fast forward to date, in less than 10 months I’m already over 15k miles in my PHEV and this is with me owning multiple vehicles. I haven’t pumped gas in my PHEV since Sept. 10, 2023, my last road trip in it. I haven’t seen a noticeable increase in my electricity bill because I have average monthly billing where it takes an average of your last 12 months. For the past few months, I started charging at work as well (level 1). I believe if I’m not mistaken, my PHEV has seen 3 tanks of gas in over 15k miles. The first tank lasted 3,325 miles after 3-4 months. Took a road trip, that next tank lasted 3 months up until the last road trip back in Sept. Granted it’s low on gas now but as long as it has EV range, I’m not stopping to put fuel in it. I believe I drive in EV mode just as much or more than some of you here with full BEV vehicles.

I believe you know already. You own 6 of them.
You are going to definitely save money driving a PHEV over a regular car, no doubt. But I don't think most bought BEV's to save money. That just happens to be a side effect, like Ozempic for diabetes also in addition you get weight loss. I know I mention it a lot, but for the record, it's not the reason I switched to BEV's.

Prior to buying my first BEV, I had a 10 Gen Civic Si. It was extremely efficient, and routine maint was cheap. But after a little more than a year I sold it and bought an IS350, which was not efficient at all, needed twice the maint, and had a much higher cost of ownership. It was just a better car, and funner to drive than the Civic Si.

Seriously, if I was really trying to save money, I would buy a Corolla or Civic
BayeauxLex (01-08-24)

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation