EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 01:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
So my point stands.
Thats just it, what is your point? Your point is "you can't just own an EV" which is a typical anti-EV point from you. You absolutely can own just an EV, I know lots of people that do...travel just takes some extra planning and thought.

That's just not true. I can't help it that the thought of how charging wouldn't work in a dire emergency popped into my head on that rushed drive..
I'm just explaining to you why people are reacting the way they are.

I'm not slamming EVs, I just said own both.
We'll agree to disagree lol. Your stance on EVs is clear.
The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 01:40 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
What exactly did your MY do to make it eat mountain roads?
Effortless power regardless of terrain. Many gas cars have their engines blow up one one of the famous, extended inclines. Plus gas cars recover zero energy going back down the mountain and tend to cook their brakes
What did it do different on those mountain roads that a gas car can’t do? What happened that make you not want to make that trip in a gas car again?
I've driven the same route probably 20 times, the Y was by far the lowest stress car to drive. I can't tell you exactly what it's like you simply have to experience it.
For those who currently don’t own BEVs we are here to learn from those that do and their experiences.
Imagine a PHEV but always seamless instant power, zero maintenance. Far better vehicle dynamics due to center of gravity. I get it, some people MUST HAVE extended range. I don't have that need, don't care about it. I have zero desire to drive 5 hours straight without stopping that's a form of torture. And also dangerous, monotony makes you lose focus.
I believe you know already. You own 6 of them.
I don't drone on about them non stop here.
BayeauxLex (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 01:41 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Once you own an EV there is no going back.

my gas cars may or may not need a gas station trip. And in cold weather (it will be -32F here soon) I'd rather not stand in the cold. Assuming they will start.
I can understand your statement not wanting to go back because I do whatever I can to keep my PHEV in EV mode (multiple daily charging, coasting to red lights) to extend its range. Even in my EV mode it’s significantly slower than driving in hybrid mode I prefer EV mode hands down.

But when I’m pumping gas in the cold/rain, I’m just like BEV owners at public chargers, plug in and get back in the car until it’s finished (full). Also it doesn’t reach -32F here.
Old 01-08-24, 01:46 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

I can understand your statement not wanting to go back because I do whatever I can to keep my PHEV in EV mode (multiple daily charging, coasting to red lights) to extend its range. Even in my EV mode it’s significantly slower than driving in hybrid mode I prefer EV mode hands down.

But when I’m pumping gas in the cold/rain, I’m just like BEV owners at public chargers, plug in and get back in the car until it’s finished (full). Also it doesn’t reach -32F here.
It was 34F here this morning, and cold enough for me lol. I can't imagine -32 🙀
BayeauxLex (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 02:02 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Effortless power regardless of terrain. Many gas cars have their engines blow up one one of the famous, extended inclines. Plus gas cars recover zero energy going back down the mountain and tend to cook their brakes

I've driven the same route probably 20 times, the Y was by far the lowest stress car to drive. I can't tell you exactly what it's like you simply have to experience it.

Imagine a PHEV but always seamless instant power, zero maintenance. Far better vehicle dynamics due to center of gravity. I get it, some people MUST HAVE extended range. I don't have that need, don't care about it. I have zero desire to drive 5 hours straight without stopping that's a form of torture. And also dangerous, monotony makes you lose focus.

I don't drone on about them non stop here.
You see it as drone, I’m comparing it with my experiences and what works for me. Again I drive in EV mode just as much as BEV owners. Only drawback, I have to charge more. Now am I droning or am I comparing if I said my Prius has B mode which would keep me from cooking the brakes going down those same mountains as it engine brakes any time you let off the throttle. Now due to your power delivery in your MY and lack of power in the Prius I can see it wouldn’t be as much fun climbing those mountains. Since this is an EV forum should I keep those comparisons to myself.

Despite what you may believe, I’m not anti BEV. Whenever I fly somewhere and I have to rent a car, 99% of the time I rent a Tesla due to the reasons many of you love them. I rented a Supra once because I wanted to see if it would be my next car. Just like every BEV owner, my PHEV has a full battery waiting for me every morning. Smaller battery nonetheless full.
LeX2K (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 02:19 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

You see it as drone, I’m comparing it with my experiences and what works for me. Again I drive in EV mode just as much as BEV owners. Only drawback, I have to charge more. Now am I droning or am I comparing if I said my Prius has B mode which would keep me from cooking the brakes going down those same mountains as it engine brakes any time you let off the throttle. Now due to your power delivery in your MY and lack of power in the Prius I can see it wouldn’t be as much fun climbing those mountains. Since this is an EV forum should I keep those comparisons to myself.
PHEV is good for some use cases, you have to take long trips frequently otherwise I don't see how it makes any sense. You'll notice I have never tried to tell anyone they made the wrong choice of vehicle, I'm saying for ME it is not the right choice.

On cold weather, see for yourself
https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html

This will separate the good from the bad MANY cars will die on the road, or not start at all. -40 is the tipping point where gasoline no longer vaporizes properly chances of your car starting is about zero unless you have a block heater. I don't expect my Model Y to have any issues.

BayeauxLex (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 02:26 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

PHEV is good for some use cases, you have to take long trips frequently otherwise I don't see how it makes any sense. You'll notice I have never tried to tell anyone they made the wrong choice of vehicle, I'm saying for ME it is not the right choice.

On cold weather, see for yourself
https://weather.gc.ca/city/pages/ab-52_metric_e.html

This will separate the good from the bad MANY cars will die on the road, or not start at all. -40 is the tipping point where gasoline no longer vaporizes properly chances of your car starting is about zero unless you have a block heater. I don't expect my Model Y to have any issues.
I'm guessing if I stripped naked and ran across a field in -34C Calgary weather, I wouldn't make it very far would I? Man, now I feel really cold......
Old 01-08-24, 02:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm guessing if I stripped naked and ran across a field in -34C Calgary weather, I wouldn't make it very far would I? Man, now I feel really cold......
You would literally die.
Old 01-08-24, 02:31 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

I just recently found out that you lose range driving above about 75ish which I genuinely didn't know.
Seriously? Does your ICE MPG's go up the faster you go? LOL
Old 01-08-24, 02:39 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You would literally die.
The coldest I've ever been in is a restaurant freezer, it was -70F. Let's just say, it was freaking cold in there
Old 01-08-24, 02:49 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

The coldest I've ever been in is a restaurant freezer, it was -70F. Let's just say, it was freaking cold in there
Holy crap that's insanely cold. Supposedly the coldest temperature ever recorded was at Vostok station Antarctica, -128 °F. Not sure I believe that.

Does anyone know if the RAV4 Prime heater issue has been fixed? At one point the heater wouldn't function at all in -10 or colder. Speaking of Toyota PHEVs, sales actually went down in 2023 Toyota really really doesn't want to make many of them.
Old 01-08-24, 02:56 PM
bowser
Pit Crew

Received 78 Likes on 49 Posts

Please tell us you weren't stripped naked in a restaurant freezer
Old 01-08-24, 02:58 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Holy crap that's insanely cold. Supposedly the coldest temperature ever recorded was at Vostok station Antarctica, -128 °F. Not sure I believe that.

Does anyone know if the RAV4 Prime heater issue has been fixed? At one point the heater wouldn't function at all in -10 or colder. Speaking of Toyota PHEVs, sales actually went down in 2023 Toyota really really doesn't want to make many of them.
Sorry, I added the Zero by accident. It was -7F. ^^ And no, I've never been naked in a freezer ^^
Old 01-08-24, 03:27 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Okay, duly noted. Not everyone wants to own both. Jesus. I just thought it was a practical suggestion.
Btw, what city?

I have buddies that don't want ev with a passion and for some of them i really see why it would be hard sell. Especially since some of these areas have really bad ev charging.

Having to drive 500-800 mile trips few times per month would likely have me still have one diesel.

Few more charging stations right on the highway and little bit more range will definitely lower amount of people who really can't do it.
Old 01-08-24, 03:30 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Alright, enough about stripping in cold weather. Time for some business

Hyundai & Kia take second place after Tesla in US EV sales

South Korean automakers Hyundai and Kia placed second together in US electric vehicles (EV) sales after Tesla, beating Detroit-based legacy automakers Ford and General Motors.

Hyundai and Kia, along with the Genesis brand, are owned by Hyundai Motor Group, which holds the fourth-largest share in the US car market. Based on sales data from S&P Global, Hyundai Motor Group is behind big names in the global auto market, including Toyota, Ford, and General Motors.

But when it comes to the electric vehicle market in the United States, Hyundai Motor Group is second to lead EV maker Tesla, thanks to its Hyundai and Kia electric vehicles.

“Hyundai and Kia used to be regarded in the US as low-end, unreliable cars. But now, not only are their electric vehicles seen as at least as good as their Tesla equivalents, they are cheaper too. That has led to a very sharp rise in sales in a very short amount of time,” Troy Stangarone, Senior Director at the Korea Economic Institute of America, told the Financial Times (FT).

Hyundai and Kia made up 7.5% of the US EV market, ahead of GM’s Chevrolet brand, which made up 5.9%. Meanwhile, Ford holds a 5.5% share of the US EV market. Tesla remains at the top of the US EV market, holding a share of 57.4%.

Hyundai Motor Group’s share in the US EV market is quite impressive, considering none of its electric vehicles qualify for the Inflation Reduction Act’s $7,500 tax incentives. It would be interesting to see the South Korean Company’s US EV sales after its $7.6 billion electric vehicle factory in Georgia.

In January 2024, Hyundai Motor Group reported selling 33,918 Ioniq 5 and 12,999 Ionia 6 electric vehicles in 2023 from its Hyundai brand. Meanwhile, the Group sold 18,879 Kia EV6 cars and 1,118 units of its freshly released EV9 vehicles. Inside EVs estimated that Kia sold around 11,000 to 12,000 Niro EVs in 2023.

As can be gleaned from Hyundai and Kia’s 2023 EV sales history in the United States, the South Korean automaker concentrated on specific categories in the US electric vehicle market.

“Hyundai is one of the few companies producing EV sedans, while the big three US automakers focus on making large SUVs and pick-up trucks. This meant it was able to make rapid inroads in the US market despite its relatively late entry into the EV space,” said Kim Tae-Hyun, head of the Mirae Mobility Research Center in Seoul.

Hyundai Motor Group chose to focus on smaller and more affordable electric vehicles for the US EV Market. Based on past Teslarati articles, consumers in the United States–who want to make the EV transition–seek affordable EVs that will take them from point A to point B without worrying about range. Hyundai and Kia’s EVs seem to check off all those boxes.

https://www.teslarati.com/hyundai-ki...a-us-ev-sales/

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation