EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24 | 06:57 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Originally Posted by spwolf
ok, so you are getting a tesla 12 stall SC at your local Target.

As mentioned by people here, it is used when you need quick top up, not for regular charging. Your home charging is going to be 3-4x cheaper and fast enough for overnight charge.
But as of right now you see there aren’t many charging options around me. That Target is 27 miles from my house 10 miles further than the closest Target. However I am on that side of town weekly at the Lexus dealership. I wasn’t aware we were getting new SC. Thanks 🤝
Old 01-08-24 | 07:03 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Being lighter or heavier than MYLR wasn't his point. But look, you don't have to justify driving a phev to any of us, it works for you, and you seem to be happy with your choices. That's really all that counts
I get it but I’m not the only person here who sees the benefit of a PHEV and don’t look at them as the worst of both worlds. Some may suggest since I drive in EV mode so much that I should get a BEV. In due time.😁
Old 01-08-24 | 07:08 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I get it but I’m not the only person here who sees the benefit of a PHEV and don’t look at them as the worst of both worlds. Some may suggest since I drive in EV mode so much that I should get a BEV. In due time.😁
I think you misunderstood me. Just because there are no benefits for me owning a phev doesn't mean they don't have benefits to others, like yourself. It's like saying there's no benefits for me owning an F-250, but my neighbor on the other hand has a flooring business, so for him it does
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24 | 07:09 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

My PHEV weigh less than MYLR🧐
I think you'll agree RAV4 Prime is the most direct comparison to the Model Y
https://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-...eatures-specs/
https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/rav4-...eatures-specs/
63 pounds less for the RAV.
Look at it like this, you leave home with your cell phone, do you carry your charger in your pocket or a carry a battery pack? The gas engine is like having a battery pack for when that cell phone battery gets low…when I run out of EV range, switch over to gas.

I get it, I’m a wannabe BEV🫣🤣 I wont rule out a BEV as my next daily. 😁
I fully understand how a PHEV works, I just don't want one.
BayeauxLex (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24 | 07:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

But as of right now you see there aren’t many charging options around me. That Target is 27 miles from my house 10 miles further than the closest Target. However I am on that side of town weekly at the Lexus dealership. I wasn’t aware we were getting new SC. Thanks 🤝
but can you charge at home?
Old 01-08-24 | 09:18 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I think you misunderstood me. Just because there are no benefits for me owning a phev doesn't mean they don't have benefits to others, like yourself. It's like saying there's no benefits for me owning an F-250, but my neighbor on the other hand has a flooring business, so for him it does
I totally understand your statement. I’ve stated before if I lived in California, I would have a BEV with the cost of gas and plus you seem to have a lot of chargers around you. Or I would have a fun car that runs on E85 which is a little cheaper. I did look into acquiring a Tesla Model Y beforehand. I thought about leasing one until I realized you couldn’t buy out your lease. 15k miles in less than 10 months I would be looking at a hefty over mileage bill.

but can you charge at home?

Yes
Old 01-08-24 | 09:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

How come you don't gas up at home? I was told that is a thing.
Old 01-08-24 | 09:28 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Originally Posted by LeX2K

Does anyone know if the RAV4 Prime heater issue has been fixed? At one point the heater wouldn't function at all in -10 or colder. Speaking of Toyota PHEVs, sales actually went down in 2023 Toyota really really doesn't want to make many of them.
Under 14 degrees the engine assist in heating. It has a heat pump. I’m not sure of the issues you’re referring to. Just like BEVs, PHEVs don’t like cold weather. It doesn’t get that cold here so hopefully that’s a non issue for me.

I like having a vehicle I don’t see often. I had to travel 4hrs to get mine with the options I wanted. I watched a lady walk to a Honda Pilot, peeked inside the window then walked away. Moments later she was driving away in the same color Pilot she peeked inside.
Old 01-08-24 | 09:34 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

How come you don't gas up at home? I was told that is a thing.

It is 😏

Nice try though
LeX2K (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24 | 09:37 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Can't beat a gas car for cabin heating, not currently. My Camry will roast you in basically any weather no EV can touch it that's the upside when the engine wastes 70% of energy.
BayeauxLex (01-08-24)
Old 01-09-24 | 02:46 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There will be
I agree. Tesla has the data to know when and where to expand the charging infrastructure. Especially with so many other manufacturers moving to Tesla's charging system, you'll see growth of chargers everywhere.

Speaking of data... I never thought of this but I fully assume Tesla knows where people are coming from and ending up as they hit supercharger stations since a Tesla is always locatable. That's kinda fascinating. And I also fully assume that info will be collectable from the other manufacturers using Tesla's chargers in the future since they had to agree to give Tesla access to certain elements of data about the car as it connects to the charger.
Old 01-09-24 | 03:09 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Can't beat a gas car for cabin heating, not currently. My Camry will roast you in basically any weather no EV can touch it that's the upside when the engine wastes 70% of energy.
I’ve never noticed anything different with my EV compared to my gas car even in sub zero weather but that kind of weather doesn’t happen that often here. It gets so hot my wife is always turning down the temp on her side of the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by patgilm:
AMIRZA786 (01-09-24), Mike728 (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24 | 05:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by patgilm
I’ve never noticed anything different with my EV compared to my gas car even in sub zero weather but that kind of weather doesn’t happen that often here. It gets so hot my wife is always turning down the temp on her side of the car.
Well, gas car needs more time to heat up. Diesel car even more and they usually have electric wires helping the heating, otherwise it takes too long in freezing temps.
AMIRZA786 (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24 | 05:43 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Well, gas car needs more time to heat up. Diesel car even more and they usually have electric wires helping the heating, otherwise it takes too long in freezing temps.
I agree 100%, it's nice in an EV to get heat much quicker than a gas car. My EV stays outside and heats up pretty quickly and the only reason my gas car heats up somewhat quickly is because it is in a garage.

AMIRZA786 (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24 | 08:30 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
It's going to be -39 on Friday so I'll do a test. Assuming my gas car starts, I have doubts.
Originally Posted by LexTess
FYI Lexus / Toyota hybrids have a small PTC heater (electric element) inside the HVAC unit to help provide cabin heat sooner while the gas engine warms up. It's tiny compared to EV heaters that don't use heat pumps because it's supplementary.
My Highlander has this, heat in the car is not that great.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation