EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-24, 03:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
If the tank is mostly empty and the cap has been off for a bit (oxygen enters) it might violently explode. I know someone that tried to weld a fuel tank he washed the tank many times didn't matter. The tank flashed and rapidly expanded it shot across his yard he was lucky to be alive. The tank cracked. Gasoline itself is not explosive the vapour is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DBFVb2a7Mo
Oh no I get it, I'm a boater who uses the blower religiously. I even leave it on when trolling. You don't want vapors around.

There are just lots of misconceptions about gasoline. It's just about impossible to make a car explode by shooing it, for example. Cars are designed to not explode when crashed into at 60MPH. In The Terminator Reese shoots a muffler and the whole car explodes lol.
The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (01-13-24)
Old 01-13-24, 03:32 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
There are just lots of misconceptions about gasoline. It's just about impossible to make a car explode by shooing it, for example. Cars are designed to not explode when crashed into at 60MPH. In The Terminator Reese shoots a muffler and the whole car explodes lol.
You're right cars in movies violently explode for almost no reason. Then again everything does. I just feel the need to push back when anyone says, well gas isn't that dangerous you can put a match it it no big deal. What if someone reads that and takes it seriously? Sure you can pour some gas on the ground and light it, probably not much happens. But do that in the wrong situation and you're dead.

There are numerous systems in a car to tame the vapours that's why I'm not a big fan of plug-in hybrids. You have emissions controls and a battery management system. Too complex. Put it this way I would never buy any plug-in hybrid besides a Toyota, with Toyota I know the car will be reliable.
Old 01-13-24, 03:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

It's frightening you actually believe this. Truly. Gasoline has a flash point of -30F the vapours and insanely explosive. Combine that in an enclosed space and it becomes exponentially more dangerous.

edit - I'm rarely completely baffled by posts here but this time I am. You have to be trolling.
A puddle of gasoline on the floor of a garage will not explode lol. There are not enough vapors there to concentrate in the garage to cause an explosion. Yes it will burn and cause a fire, but it will not explode. A couple gallons of gasoline on the floor of a 20x20x10 garage (which is 4,000 cubic feet of space and is not well sealed) is not "a bomb".

You're just desperately trying to defend any potentially negative information about EVs, as always. Like it or not, there is a fire danger when charging any Li-ion battery. I just agree the danger is small.

If the tank is mostly empty and the cap has been off for a bit (oxygen enters) it might violently explode. I know someone that tried to weld a fuel tank he washed the tank many times didn't matter. The tank flashed and rapidly expanded it shot across his yard he was lucky to be alive. The tank cracked. Gasoline itself is not explosive the vapour is

That's why fuel tanks are steam cleaned several times before being repaired even a small residual of gas is dangerous. Standing gasoline in an enclosed space (garage) creates vapour if enough builds up and ignites it will level the garage.

edit - this illustrates perfectly, vapour build up in the cabin now imagine this happening in your garage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DBFVb2a7Mo
You are smart enough to realize the difference between vapors being trapped inside a gas tank and vapors being in a 4,000 cu/ft garage. You're also smart enough to know the difference between fuel vapors building up inside a small car and an entire garage.

Nobody is saying gasoline is not explosive, its just a question of how much the vapors need to build up inside a confined space before it will cause an explosion. Gas on the floor of your garage can burn your garage down, but its not going to cause your garage to explode.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-13-24 at 04:05 PM.
LexTess (01-13-24)
Old 01-13-24, 04:56 PM
Lead Lap

Received 780 Likes on 529 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
The use of weasel words like "deductive reasoning" to explain the complete lack of any actual data or evidence broadly confirm that the real intent in posting that video is trolling.

So let's not feed the troll.
Who’s the troll again? If you intend on starting personal attacks or accusations then log off and take a breath.
Old 01-13-24, 05:34 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Who’s the troll again? If you intend on starting personal attacks or accusations then log off and take a breath.
The evidence (or lack of) speaks for itself, as do your posts in the EV forum. 100% lame trolling.

Deductive reasoning indeed lol.
Old 01-13-24, 11:07 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
but my question still stands, why would I want to rent one? How does that improve my trip?

... Theres the novelty of trying out an EV fine
there, you sort of answered your own question. it might improve your trip because you've not driven one, or not more than a typical test drive. on our 6 day trip to PA, driving the tesla was a real treat and charging it even without overnight access, was so simple and quick. no biggie at all.

plus, ev's are just quiet and smooth and instant, so it's very stress free as a vacation vehicle. again, yes, one should have figured out the charging scenarios ahead of time.

but from a rental car as transportation I don't see how its better than renting an ICE car. Costwise, you have to make sure to charge it on the way to the airport or they charge you, where if I'm not driving enough to need to charge it I wouldn't use $35 in gas in something comparable to a Model 3 in size.
guess it's not for you then. i will definitely rent an ev on a trip in the future if the charging situation looks doable.

So you're saying my rental Tesla may not be given to me fully charged? I want that even less now lol
har har... my tesla rental came with about 85% i think, which was plenty. drove it to about 40%, then charged to 80% (15 minutes tops), drove down to about 30%, charged to 70% i think, and one final charge on way to airport. total charing cost cost was $11 i think (and no $35 fee)..

The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (01-13-24), LeX2K (01-14-24)
Old 01-13-24, 11:28 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

I received the model 3 with 67%. I paid $34.34 charging 3x in Orlando. I charged once on Thursday the day I picked it up and 2x on Friday before turning it back in on Saturday morning. First two charges I was limited to 80%. Final charge I was able to charge to 90% due to supercharger being empty I assume though before I was finishes charging, the charging filled up and soon as the person plugged in next to me I saw the charging speed plummet.
Old 01-14-24, 03:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
The evidence (or lack of) speaks for itself, as do your posts in the EV forum. 100% lame trolling.

Deductive reasoning indeed lol.
Originally Posted by 703
knock off the personal comments or do not post in this thread
Old 01-14-24, 03:05 AM
Lead Lap

A puddle of gasoline on the floor of a garage will not explode lol. There are not enough vapors there to concentrate in the garage to cause an explosion. Yes it will burn and cause a fire, but it will not explode. A couple gallons of gasoline on the floor of a 20x20x10 garage (which is 4,000 cubic feet of space and is not well sealed) is not "a bomb".
EV also have vapor cloud explosion, where toxic and flammable gases deflagrate. One famous explosion of VCE is the Model S back in 2019 when prior to the incident the battery pack was damaged by a manhole over.

Old 01-14-24, 05:26 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Aegean
I guess when someone installs an EVSE to charge electric vehicles in a garage, he would probably need to install:
  • Garage smoke detector
  • Garage EVSE disconnect switch (if electrical panel access would be inaccessible)
  • Garage monitoring camera with smartphone app
  • Garage fire extinguisher
  • A top rated home insurance
Unless there will never be an ICE car in the garage, installing a smoke detector is a bad idea. They are also more likely to produce faults (positive or negative) in extreme temperatures. Best practice is to install a heat detector in the garage.
Old 01-14-24, 05:39 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Aegean
Wiring a EV charger is a simple/intermediate DIY task for a homeowner assuming he is following code, passes an inspection while properly torquing the connections and sizing the circuit/breaker. In summary:
  • Plug in a 40 amp charger to a 14-50 or 6/50 receptacle needs a 6/3 NM-B cable and a very expensive GFCI 50 amp breaker.
It wasn't for an EV Charger, but when I needed a 50A GFCI in my garage, I used a Spa Disconnect panel. For some strange reason, they're significantly cheaper than just buying the 50A GFCI they come with on its own. So you can either use the whole panel close to the charger (This is what I would do), or throw the box away and install the GFCI in your main panel.
Aegean (01-14-24)
Old 01-14-24, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,719 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
plus, ev's are just quiet and smooth and instant, so it's very stress free as a vacation vehicle. again, yes, one should have figured out the charging scenarios ahead of time.
The sound of an engine doesn’t create stress in my vacation, worrying about finding chargers does. Just don’t get it…

You are also not traveling with a family, etc. It’s a lot to plan and be mentally aware of, I don’t need one more thing.

You know I am all for EVs, but I don’t have any desire to have one without my charger in the garage for it to charge while I sleep. That’s my concern about traveling with one.

har har... my tesla rental came with about 85% i think, which was plenty. drove it to about 40%, then charged to 80% (15 minutes tops), drove down to about 30%, charged to 70% i think, and one final charge on way to airport. total charing cost cost was $11 i think (and no $35 fee)..
I barely have time to fuel a gas car on the way to the airport, let alone charge a car lol

Originally Posted by 703
EV also have vapor cloud explosion, where toxic and flammable gases deflagrate. One famous explosion of VCE is the Model S back in 2019 when prior to the incident the battery pack was damaged by a manhole over.
I think part of the issue here is both sides throw up these insane entirely unlikely scenarios as incredible dangers which they aren’t. Lex2k with his insane statement that spilling gas on the floor of a garage creates “a bomb” and you throwing up things like this.

Both technologies have inherent dangers, but they are very unlikely to occur
Old 01-14-24, 09:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

The sound of an engine doesn’t create stress in my vacation, worrying about finding chargers does. Just don’t get it…
ok, let me help when you go to disney world, i think finding a tesla charger will not be an issue... disney even has them ON PROPERTY.

You are also not traveling with a family, etc. It’s a lot to plan and be mentally aware of, I don’t need one more thing.
ha, maybe go charge while fam is back at the hotel for a 'quiet' break.

You know I am all for EVs, but I don’t have any desire to have one without my charger in the garage for it to charge while I sleep. That’s my concern about traveling with one.
you do you!
Old 01-14-24, 09:50 AM
Lead Lap

I think part of the issue here is both sides throw up these insane entirely unlikely scenarios as incredible dangers which they aren’t. Lex2k with his insane statement that spilling gas on the floor of a garage creates “a bomb” and you throwing up things like this.

Both technologies have inherent dangers, but they are very unlikely to occur
Never have I said they are ‘common’. It’s simply a rare occurrence when multiplied at scale as adoption continues it becomes a certainty for emergency departments to deal with. Hence there is active research in this area for both dealing with these fires and to minimise the occurrence in enclosed spaces like the garage, parking lots, ships etc.

It’s better to analyse the details than to dismiss that issue completely.

Old 01-14-24, 09:53 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
Yes, stats shows more ICE fires compared to EV proportionally. But there are no stats which compares both for relatively new cars, sitting in the garage at home. Until such stat comes out, then can’t be proven in either direction. Would be good if these stats can be broken down by brands. Ie Jag, BMWs, Teslas etc
Probably there is no stats for it as it does not happen and it is a made up issue. Why would anyone have stats about things that dont happen, because you made it up?
On the other hand, I would be worried about leaving chinese scooters and e-bikes that pass no tests before being sold in Europe. I have heard of many of these going up in fire.

At the same time, that does not mean that I am now worried that 6 cell phones, 4 laptops and who knows how many other rechargable batteries I have around the house will burn my family house down while we sleep.

It is apples to oranges scenario when you compare cars to some random Chinese crap you heard exploding in peoples garages.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation