EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-24 | 07:51 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
Polestar's unique selling proposition revolves around their commitment to combining performance with sustainability in the electric vehicle market.

They aim to deliver high-performance electric cars while prioritizing eco-friendly materials and production processes. Polestar vehicles often feature advanced technology, minimalist design, and a focus on a more sustainable driving experience.

😄
Stop making fun of Polestar 😂
Old 01-18-24 | 06:35 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by Margate330
I vote for no EV vs ICE here..

Push to new thread, just IMO.
Agreed, that's the whole reason why EV chat was split from the general Car Chat forum. Follow up posts will be deleted
Old 01-18-24 | 02:06 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Today is "Bring your Tesla to work" day

The following users liked this post:
LeX2K (01-18-24)
Old 01-18-24 | 04:47 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

I guess this is the appropriate thread for my question. Who maintains Tesla Supercharger locations? Do they have their own maintenance and repair crews or is it contracted out? It seems like you don't hear much about any widespread issues with SC's vs. Electrify America who seem to have ongoing issues with out of service chargers. Thanks for any information.
Old 01-18-24 | 05:05 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I guess this is the appropriate thread for my question. Who maintains Tesla Supercharger locations? Do they have their own maintenance and repair crews or is it contracted out? It seems like you don't hear much about any widespread issues with SC's vs. Electrify America who seem to have ongoing issues with out of service chargers. Thanks for any information.
Tesla maintains them as far as I know. I've seen techs in Model Y's service cars at Tesla supercharger sites. They may use third parties as well.

EA uses contractors here. I've talked to a couple of them, one guy told me he covered Central California all the way to SoCal
Old 01-18-24 | 05:20 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Tesla maintains them as far as I know. I've seen techs in Model Y's service cars at Tesla supercharger sites. They may use third parties as well.

EA uses contractors here. I've talked to a couple of them, one guy told me he covered Central California all the way to SoCal
Thanks for the information
AMIRZA786 (01-18-24)
Old 01-19-24 | 11:37 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

noticed hyundai's vehicle line-up page FIRST section is 'electrified' now... (with 3 ev's, 2 PHEVs)

AMIRZA786 (01-19-24)
Old 01-19-24 | 03:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
noticed hyundai's vehicle line-up page FIRST section is 'electrified' now... (with 3 ev's, 2 PHEVs)
Same with MB:

Old 01-20-24 | 06:03 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by AJT123
That's all I'm really saying. I read that the Ford factory currently produces 3200 from more than one source. I never said once EV sales are falling.

If they don't, and wind up only producing 1600.... we'll see. They may cut production even more.... again we'll see.
You were right. They are cutting again. Down to one shift starting April 1st. An even that is probably too much production capacity given demand. What a disaster. LS500 level automotive faceplant.

Ford is cutting F-150 Lightning production again amid ‘slower than expected’ demand

https://electrek.co/2024/01/19/ford-...-demand-fades/
AJT123 (01-20-24)
Old 01-20-24 | 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bob04
You were right. They are cutting again. Down to one shift starting April 1st. An even that is probably too much production capacity given demand. What a disaster. LS500 level automotive faceplant.

Ford is cutting F-150 Lightning production again amid ‘slower than expected’ demand

You again are not understanding what they are doing. They are not reducing the production they are already making, they are not increasing production as they had planned to. Sales are up, not down...just not rising at the clip they anticipated they would.

That would make this completely different than the LS500.

The issue with the Lightning is its too expensive for what it is. I see a lot more Rivians than I do Lightnings and I think price is a big part of it.
Old 01-20-24 | 07:18 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I suspect some of the blame for lower demand of the Lightning, can be attributed to the dealers. When I went to look at a Mustang Mach-E, not a single salesperson came over to assist me. It was a different story when I was looking at the Ranger a year earlier. I didn't even have a chance to look at the window sticker before being helped. I noticed similar, but less subtle resistance at the Volvo dealer when we went to look at the XC40 Recharge. There, the salesperson actually asked why we were looking at an EV. She said it was only good for driving around town, and was not capable of taking longer trips in. When I said the charging network was evolving and getting better over time, she smirked and walked away. We took her queue and left.

The sooner that the manufactures understand that dealers are not always working in their best interest, the better for us consumers. It's just a matter of time.
Old 01-20-24 | 07:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The issue with the Lightning is its too expensive for what it is. I see a lot more Rivians than I do Lightnings and I think price is a big part of it.
ford doesn't have sugar daddy saudi's allowing them to lose tens of thousands per vehicle.
the rivian right now might be the biggest bargain ever (because it's massively subsidized and sold at a huge loss), but the company is almost worthless.
ford just isn't willing (or probably able) to sustain those kind of losses.

Old 01-20-24 | 07:30 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
I suspect some of the blame for lower demand of the Lightning, can be attributed to the dealers. When I went to look at a Mustang Mach-E, not a single salesperson came over to assist me. It was a different story when I was looking at the Ranger a year earlier. I didn't even have a chance to look at the window sticker before being helped. I noticed similar, but less subtle resistance at the Volvo dealer when we went to look at the XC40 Recharge. There, the salesperson actually asked why we were looking at an EV. She said it was only good for driving around town, and was not capable of taking longer trips in. When I said the charging network was evolving and getting better over time, she smirked and walked away. We took her queue and left.

The sooner that the manufactures understand that dealers are not always working in their best interest, the better for us consumers. It's just a matter of time.
your dealer was not wrong. for most (non-tesla) ev customers, taking a long trip will be a big pain. that salesperson had probably had a customer with buyer's remorse who got to broken EA chargers on a trip or could only charge at level 2 and waited for hours in a frozen crappy parking lot. these experiences matter.

i haven't taken a trip (more than say 60mi.) in my ev, but will do at some point and crossing fingers the charger options will be working, available, and my highway range will be adequate. i'm sure it will work out (because i'll plan ahead, the car helps, and i'll have contingency options), but when people are used to being able to stop anywhere without thinking, refuel in 5 minutes, and be on their way for many more hours if they wish, it's a big shift to an ev. obviously we all know it varies massively in different geographic areas.

BayeauxLex (01-20-24)
Old 01-20-24 | 08:14 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You again are not understanding what they are doing. They are not reducing the production they are already making, they are not increasing production as they had planned to. Sales are up, not down...just not rising at the clip they anticipated they would.

That would make this completely different than the LS500.

I understand completely. Where did I say they are reducing the production they are already making?
Old 01-20-24 | 08:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ford doesn't have sugar daddy saudi's allowing them to lose tens of thousands per vehicle.
the rivian right now might be the biggest bargain ever (because it's massively subsidized and sold at a huge loss), but the company is almost worthless.
ford just isn't willing (or probably able) to sustain those kind of losses.
I get it, but for the consumer it still is what it is.

I understand completely. Where did I say they are reducing the production they are already making?
Your entire point of comparing it to the LS500 lol.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation