EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

General EV Conversation

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-24, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Panels don’t match? That’s kind of how they’re supposed to be. Depending on how the light hits the stainless finish it’s going to look different.
Old 01-20-24, 03:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Rivians are being sold for a loss because they're still ramping up and are on track to be profitable by Q4 2024. They reduced their loss per vehicle from $124K to about $33K in Q4. Add in the design changes they're making to the production line later this year and they'll be okay this year. I wouldn't expect much in profits until Georgia is up and running and they introduce an R2 line

Tesla wasn't reliably profitable until the 3 left production hell and has been doing great since the Y
so rivn is a stock buy?
Old 01-20-24, 03:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Everybody who makes EVs are going to lose a ton per car right now
well tesla isn't losing money.

about rivian, i guess i made a big goof in my prior post because it's lucid that's backed by saudis.
rivian does have that sweet giant delivery van order from amazon they've bee working on, so there's that.
i hope rivian makes it, cool products.

speaking of lucid, they have (really) great engineering but are a 1 trick pony right now. the sedan is good but funky and way out of reach for 99% of buyers. the new suv (gravity?) isn't even out yet i don't think.

maybe you're referring to ice makers though making ev's. i've no idea if hyundai/kia is losing money on ev's at this time, but wouldn't surprise me one way or another, although they share so many components, that's gotta help.

bmw has hedged using convertible ice/ev platforms (i guess to save money) but i personally don't think that's great as they're then not space efficient.

mercedes went all out with EQ stuff with mixed results so far (probably lost a fortune to date but had to get going).

vw actually sells a decent number of ev's and shares the cost across vw/audi/porsche so there's that.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-20-24 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-20-24, 04:11 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Someone took delivery of this. Anything catch your eye?
yup, lol, no two panels look the same shade.

The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (01-20-24)
Old 01-20-24, 04:14 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so rivn is a stock buy?
Buy some and let us know. For science.
Old 01-20-24, 04:15 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Absolutely wrong. If you tell investors you are going to grow your business by 50% and you only grow it by 10%, that is a HUGE failure.
Regardless if I have shareholders or just my own personal business, anytime you have a business and you base that business on certain projections and have to revise those projections in a big way it’s a problem because you built the business based on those projections and may have overspent on investing in the business based on those projections. If you are a small business or don’t have financial backers to cover you for longer return on investment it’s a problem regardless of growth.
Old 01-20-24, 04:23 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Mara Barra insisted GM would pass Tesla in EV sales by 2025 I don't see anyone roasting her. If Ford were to completely give up on the Lightning then I'd sharply critique them, but they're not and from what I've read they are working on a refresh.
Old 01-20-24, 04:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

well tesla isn't losing money.
They did for a long long time, at this point they have capitalized a lot of their development costs and aren’t investing in that development the same way other carmakers are.
Old 01-20-24, 04:35 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

They did for a long long time, at this point they have capitalized a lot of their development costs and aren’t investing in that development the same way other carmakers are.
Tesla is investing far more than any auto maker, maybe not in total dollars but certainly in technology. Cars and trucks, mining, Tesla Bot, FSD, Dojo, charging network to name a few.

They keep increasing R&D spending
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...pment-expenses
Old 01-20-24, 04:41 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

the development cost isn't a one time thing and even after tesla went through 'hell' with the 3 and y, they have not only continued to spend massively on automation, gigapresses and the like, they've obviously spent billions on new factories, and now major upgrades to 3 and y plus the CT has all kinds of new things they've never done before.

elon musk knows that he must keep his foot to the floor in terms of investment and innovation. ain't cheap, but obviously he's achieved such scale of 3/Y that it's proftiable for the company as a whole despite vast spending.

Old 01-20-24, 04:51 PM
JeffKeryk
Racer

Received 514 Likes on 351 Posts

The Lightning is an expensive F-150, and is towing/range limited. I just struggle with the idea of an electric pickup.
Ditto the others, not just Ford. The CT is a different animal; we will have to see how it does after the initial delivery rush.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 01-20-24, 05:13 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
The Lightning is an expensive F-150, and is towing/range limited. I just struggle with the idea of an electric pickup.
Ditto the others, not just Ford. The CT is a different animal; we will have to see how it does after the initial delivery rush.
CT is also towing/range limited.
Old 01-20-24, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Tesla is investing far more than any auto maker, maybe not in total dollars but certainly in technology. Cars and trucks, mining, Tesla Bot, FSD, Dojo, charging network to name a few.

They keep increasing R&D spending
https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/c...pment-expenses
But the core investment per dollar of revenue is lower than it was when they first were building everything out.

the development cost isn't a one time thing and even after tesla went through 'hell' with the 3 and y, they have not only continued to spend massively on automation, gigapresses and the like, they've obviously spent billions on new factories, and now major upgrades to 3 and y plus the CT has all kinds of new things they've never done before.

elon musk knows that he must keep his foot to the floor in terms of investment and innovation. ain't cheap, but obviously he's achieved such scale of 3/Y that it's proftiable for the company as a whole despite vast spending.
They are in a different phase of their growth as a company, they aren’t building out the platforms and the infrastructure to the same degree with little revenue like they were. Ford by comparison is still in the early stages of their EV program so the cost of their R&D relative to their revenue is much higher.
Old 01-20-24, 06:10 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

But the core investment per dollar of revenue is lower than it was when they first were building everything out
You completely missed the point, it's not just about R&D as a % of revenue it's what the investments actually are.
CT is also towing/range limited.
Every EV is bad at towing can't cheat physics. There is not enough energy in the battery to tow long distances if you love to tow big heavy things don't buy an EV.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (01-20-24)
Old 01-20-24, 06:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
You completely missed the point, it's not just about R&D as a % of revenue it's what the investments actually are.
You also completely missed my point. The fact that Tesla is mature and doesn’t have to invest all their profits back into R&D is a good thing.

Quick Reply: General EV Conversation