EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2023 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23, 10:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
And "everyone" drives like a moron.
Thankfully you and everything you do is so beyond reproach that you can be the arbiter of what everybody else should do lol

What would we do without you?
Old 11-01-23, 10:42 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thankfully you and everything you do is so beyond reproach that you can be the arbiter of what everybody else should do lol

What would we do without you?
Personal attack aside, people that distract themselves as little as possible are better drivers.
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23, 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Personal attack aside, people that distract themselves as little as possible are better drivers.
Please. We’re talking about CarPlay we don’t need your argumentative virtue signaling.
Old 11-01-23, 11:16 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Please. We’re talking about CarPlay we don’t need your argumentative virtue signaling.
Safe driving practices is virtue signalling now. Okay then.
Old 11-01-23, 11:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Anyways, that’s why I like CarPlay. It’s not that I wouldn’t also like the OE UI it’s that this works so well I see no need to even try the OE UI.
Old 11-01-23, 11:38 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 383 Likes on 262 Posts

Anyways, that’s why I like CarPlay. It’s not that I wouldn’t also like the OE UI it’s that this works so well I see no need to even try the OE UI.
I've never used CarPlay to the full extent of what you outlined above. I only use it periodically in rentals so not familiar with everything it can do.
AMIRZA786 (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23, 11:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I've never used CarPlay to the full extent of what you outlined above. I only use it periodically in rentals so not familiar with everything it can do.
Like most Apple stuff, it does what it does very well.

With that said Tesla's UI is especially great, so its probably not that big an issue with a Tesla.
AMIRZA786 (11-01-23)
Old 11-02-23, 03:57 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 293 Likes on 209 Posts

I only use CarPlay for waze and I feel waze isn’t all that great as it can sometimes be confusing for some more complex areas on where to turn etc and part of that is because it doesn’t show traffic lights etc like google maps. Regardless positives of waze outweighs the negatives so I still use it in my BMW. The one limiting factor with CarPlay is it doesn’t show up in my HUD which makes things much easier to view than looking at the screen.

As for Teslas user interface, IMO it’s ok, not great and while driving moving through the different screens isn’t great compared to my BMW with the wheel (IMO of course). However, although not a HUD, in my Model S the gauge cluster shows NAV which is much easier to look at than looking at the big screen. It’s subtle and I’m sure many people don’t have an issue but a quick glance down in front of me is easier than turning my head to the right.
Old 11-02-23, 05:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I only use Waze if I'm in traffic and trying to figure out whats going on, otherwise I use Google Maps.
Old 11-02-23, 05:56 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 383 Likes on 262 Posts

I only use Waze if I'm in traffic and trying to figure out whats going on, otherwise I use Google Maps.
Google owns Waze, so what they both tell you to do should be the same. I guess you are talking about seeing people reporting specific speeds, incidents, etc in Waze which isn't available on Google. I wish Waze would tell you which lane is blocked so you can decide what lane you should be in to progress faster.
Old 11-02-23, 06:00 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Google owns Waze, so what they both tell you to do should be the same. I guess you are talking about seeing people reporting specific speeds, incidents, etc in Waze which isn't available on Google. I wish Waze would tell you which lane is blocked so you can decide what lane you should be in to progress faster.
But its not the same at all in reality...
Old 11-02-23, 06:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,440 Likes on 1,600 Posts

What I'm not understanding is what other apps, accounts, and "data" (really confused by that) you're using directly through CarPlay..?
i use podcast apps (apple and google), i use npr's app (to listen to on demand content and not be limited to what's on 'right now' on fm).
using bluetooth only for music, not sure it's easy or possible to select playlists, or see what's in the queue, etc. using cp/aa it's easy.
i also use multiple messaging apps (apple messages, google voice, signal, etc).

What about text messages and/or emails- does it display and read those to you and allow you to use your voice to respond and send the response without ever touching anything on your phone?
not emails as far as i know, and i'm glad for that, i get too much email, lol.

And you also mentioned something interesting about not streaming audio over BT with CarPlay. In Tesla, the car has cellular connection and syncs to my Spotify account so I'm not using BT to stream there either as it is playing natively through the main interface. It never occurred to me that could be a factor in why the sound quality is so good. I just assumed it was speaker quality and placement.
it's possible that's a factor. BT continues to evolve/improve and probably in a lot of cases you couldn't hear the difference, but i've not done experiments recently

i also don't like how tesla only supports certain music streaming services. i don't believe they support apple music, youtube music, or amazon music. i don't have or want spotify.

Originally Posted by Margate330
That's a little creepy. Haha 😂
As a computer guru does it not creep you out talking to a computer that you know is just code and an interface to drive the speaker?
not in the slightest. you do notice my avatar is the 'eye' of HAL9000 from 2001 movie?

one thing i noticed recently on siri has cracked me up... now you don't have to say "hey siri" you can just say "siri" and my car or phone will just say "hmm?" instead of something like "how can i help?"

and 'context' questions are getting better, so if you say "siri, what's the weather going to be like today?" and it tells you, you can then say "what about tomorrow?" and it knows you're still talking about the weather, etc.

They are so good at simulating human expression I laugh my keister off when I hear someone yelling at the voice commands on their phone, getting emotional about it. Lol
ha. on the flip side, i have no doubt lonely people are talking to assistants and ai tools like chatgpt more and more, see them as friends and helpful, and this is going to be a HUGE use case. lots of lonely people out there.

You shouldn't be doing any of those things while driving.
oh please... i guess we shouldn't touch the map on the screen either, or change a radio station, or adjust/set the cruise control. we all need to be like F1 drivers.

Originally Posted by patgilm
I only use CarPlay for waze and I feel waze isn’t all that great as it can sometimes be confusing for some more complex areas on where to turn etc and part of that is because it doesn’t show traffic lights etc like google maps. Regardless positives of waze outweighs the negatives so I still use it in my BMW. The one limiting factor with CarPlay is it doesn’t show up in my HUD which makes things much easier to view than looking at the screen.
i only use waze on a longer trip so i get a heads up about traffic/accident/cops ahead. other than that, i don't like the ui at all.

i hear ya about no hud for cp/aa maps, but i learned that apple maps will vibrate my apple WATCH when i'm approaching a turn which was a pleasant surprise!

As for Teslas user interface, IMO it’s ok, not great and while driving moving through the different screens isn’t great compared to my BMW with the wheel (IMO of course). However, although not a HUD, in my Model S the gauge cluster shows NAV which is much easier to look at than looking at the big screen. It’s subtle and I’m sure many people don’t have an issue but a quick glance down in front of me is easier than turning my head to the right.
agreed... the lack of either gauge screen or hud was another reason i didn't get a tesla 3/y but i get it that for people who drive them, they don't have an issue with it.
Old 11-02-23, 06:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
oh please... i guess we shouldn't touch the map on the screen either, or change a radio station, or adjust/set the cruise control. we all need to be like F1 drivers.
Don't support the trolling lol. I took a swing at it and I should have just ignored him.
Old 11-02-23, 06:31 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm

I keep Waze up solely for the police alerts. In my area it's still pretty accurate
BayeauxLex (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 06:42 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

But its not the same at all in reality...
Agreed. I had been a stalwart Waze user since its inception. It was WAY better than Google maps in every aspect. About 12-18 months ago, it started "getting stupider". I don't have a better way of describing it. Gradually switched to Google Maps, and all those problems went away. I assume that's their strategy.

Quick Reply: 2023 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD