EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2023 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-24, 08:58 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats not what we are talking about

Teslas have interior cameras that record? News to me. No other manufacturers do either. They use stereo cameras to make sure you are paying attention for autonomous driving but not an interior dashcam that records.
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe my friend showed me a screen shot of his wife and kids in their MY. I told him that’s stalking. 🤣🤣
The following users liked this post:
Margate330 (01-03-24)
Old 01-02-24, 09:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Correct me if I’m wrong but I believe my friend showed me a screen shot of his wife and kids in their MY. I told him that’s stalking. 🤣🤣
Thats you watching your own vehicle, I’m cool
with that as long as I have control over the video!
Old 01-02-24, 09:17 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Thats you watching your own vehicle, I’m cool
with that as long as I have control over the video!
My coworker has a M3P and he said he’s played with the HVAC from the app while he was in the car. LOL

This reminds me of a smart thermostat review I read on Amazon. Long story short, wife finally convinced her husband to get a smart thermostat. Somewhere down the line, they divorced. She remarried and moved her new husband in same house the ex husband once lived. The ex husband stated he still had the thermostat app installed on is phone. He said he f’d with his ex wife and her new husband by adjusting the smart thermostat. He would turn the heat off during a snow storm or blast the heat in the summer. Turn off the heat in the winter to have them come home to a cold house. Needless to say I bought that thermostat. 🤣
AMIRZA786 (01-02-24)
Old 01-02-24, 09:43 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

My coworker has a M3P and he said he’s played with the HVAC from the app while he was in the car. LOL

This reminds me of a smart thermostat review I read on Amazon. Long story short, wife finally convinced her husband to get a smart thermostat. Somewhere down the line, they divorced. She remarried and moved her new husband in same house the ex husband once lived. The ex husband stated he still had the thermostat app installed on is phone. He said he f’d with his ex wife and her new husband by adjusting the smart thermostat. He would turn the heat off during a snow storm or blast the heat in the summer. Turn off the heat in the winter to have them come home to a cold house. Needless to say I bought that thermostat. 🤣
If I ever divorced my wife God forbid, she'd probably get everything, because... California 😂. We have the Nest thermostat, I would probably be tempted to mess around with it, but wouldn't and would just move on.

As far as the Tesla, when my daughter took it San Diego earlier this year, you bet I stalked her . You can see the exact location, how fast it's going, how they have the HVAC set, and even what they are listening to. I never turned on the cameras, but could of. Only authorized users can do this, BTW
BayeauxLex (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 04:25 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
If they put an inside facing camera in my car I'll tape over it.
You already have one in your 5 Series if it has gesture control.
Old 01-03-24, 04:52 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
You already have one in your 5 Series if it has gesture control.
Or Adaptive Cruise. BMW's system is better than most because there are standard and infrared cameras in the instrument cluster that watch your eyes. If you keep them on the road, you basically NEVER have to touch the steering wheel.
Old 01-03-24, 06:50 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 680 Likes on 505 Posts

The remote camera features are disabled when there is someone in it. As soon as it detects a key, it shuts them off. They are quite useful when you park the car and want to check on it. They just added the 2 fender cameras to the mix during the last update, so you can see a 360 view around it, but again, only when no one is inside connected to it.
Old 01-03-24, 06:52 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Yep, that's definitely stalking. Lol
Old 01-03-24, 08:30 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Mike728
The remote camera features are disabled when there is someone in it. As soon as it detects a key, it shuts them off. They are quite useful when you park the car and want to check on it. They just added the 2 fender cameras to the mix during the last update, so you can see a 360 view around it, but again, only when no one is inside connected to it.
I didn't realize they were disabled while someone is inside. Then I guess I wouldn't have been able to see my daughter when she took it San Diego unless she was outside the car
Old 01-03-24, 08:38 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 680 Likes on 505 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I didn't realize they were disabled while someone is inside. Then I guess I wouldn't have been able to see my daughter when she took it San Diego unless she was outside the car
That's correct.
AMIRZA786 (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 08:43 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I only realized that one day when my wife was driving my car and I thought it would be funny to check in on her with the interior camera on my phone but no go.
AMIRZA786 (01-03-24)
Old 01-03-24, 11:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

This happens all the time when people sell houses lol
BayeauxLex (01-03-24)
Old 01-07-24, 07:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

so about the range on my ioniq 5... ehhh...

so my reg. commute is like this...
in my community to front entrance is 1/2 mi. flat, then 1 mi. up and over a big hill (probably 50ft gain in elevation, big for florida, ha), then down to the entrance. my car tyipcally shows 3.5-4 mi./kwh
then it's about 10 mi. or rolling hills on 4 lane highway starting with a steep (for fl) up hill. i go about 70 and my elec use drops to high 2s (under 3) mi./kwh.
then it's pretty flat stop and go traffic to my office about 4-5 mi.
my consumption might be say around 3.1 mi/kwh for the trip.

so with my 77kwh battery, that equates to 239mi. on a full charge, which seems rather low.
it means that if i'm driving from 80% down to 10% (70% use) that's only 167mi.!
my longest 'regular' trip which i've not done with then ioniq yet, is 260mi. one way. and that's all interstate/turnpike after that initial 10mi. and usually about 80mph going with traffic.
assuming i start from 100% and assuming i only get 2.5mi./kwh on that type of trip my range down to 10% would be 173mi. (.9x2.5x77).
my logical stopping point would be orlando, which is only 90mi. into the trip, so 170mi. to go.. assuming i wouldn't recharge all the way to 100% again, it looks like i wouldn't make the trip without a second charge!

if that's right it's not great.

i guess my options are:
1) charge twice
2) try to go further before that first charge
3) drive slower (yeah, right)

thoughts?
Old 01-07-24, 07:35 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

in my community to front entrance is 1/2 mi. flat, then 1 mi. up and over a big hill (probably 50ft gain in elevation, big for florida, ha), then down to the entrance. my car tyipcally shows 3.5-4 mi./kwh
then it's about 10 mi. or rolling hills on 4 lane highway starting with a steep (for fl) up hill. i go about 70 and my elec use drops to high 2s (under 3) mi./kwh.

so with my 77kwh battery, that equates to 239mi. on a full charge, which seems rather low.
my longest 'regular' trip which i've not done with then ioniq yet, is 260mi. one way. and that's all interstate/turnpike after that initial 10mi. and usually about 80mph going with traffic.
assuming i start from 100% and assuming i only get 2.5mi./kwh on that type of trip my range down to 10% would be 173mi. (.9x2.5x77).
my logical stopping point would be orlando, which is only 90mi. into the trip, so 170mi. to go.. assuming i wouldn't recharge all the way to 100% again, it looks like i wouldn't make the trip without a second charge!

i guess my options are:
1) charge twice

thoughts?
I don't know what your charging infrastructure looks like in your area, but if it remotely resembles mine, than it really won't be a big deal. Also, I've never taken the Ioniq on a trip (I might do it once for the experience), but my 390 mile trip would look something like this:

First charging stop would be Harris Ranch EA chargers, 2 hours and 13 minutes, 144 miles. If I hit one their 350 kW chargers, it would be a 10 minute charge

Second stop would most likely be the Bakersfield EA on Enos Lane, about 90 miles from Harris Ranch. There it would be 15 minute charge if I hit one of their 350 kW chargers.

Then on to my brothers house for the remainder of the trip, where I would probably have about 18 to 20 percent SoC left.

Once you do the trip once, you will have more confidence. The only thing that could go wrong is non Tesla charging. Not enough Superchargers, not enough working superchargers etc. With a Tesla, it's a no brainer. That said, once you do it, it's like being afraid to jump in the pool because you think it's going to be too cold. Just my 2 cents
Old 01-07-24, 07:43 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

i guess my options are:
1) charge twice

thoughts?
🫣🥴

I vote #1 and #2.

Quick Reply: 2023 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD