EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2023 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 07:45 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot to vote. Just drive it like a normal car, and follow the recommendations from the trip planner, and you will be fine. I drive our EV's the same way I've driven our gasoline cars...FOOT TO THE FLOOR 😂
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (01-07-24)
Old 01-08-24, 07:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so about the range on my ioniq 5... ehhh...

so my reg. commute is like this...
in my community to front entrance is 1/2 mi. flat, then 1 mi. up and over a big hill (probably 50ft gain in elevation, big for florida, ha), then down to the entrance. my car tyipcally shows 3.5-4 mi./kwh
then it's about 10 mi. or rolling hills on 4 lane highway starting with a steep (for fl) up hill. i go about 70 and my elec use drops to high 2s (under 3) mi./kwh.
then it's pretty flat stop and go traffic to my office about 4-5 mi.
my consumption might be say around 3.1 mi/kwh for the trip.

so with my 77kwh battery, that equates to 239mi. on a full charge, which seems rather low.
it means that if i'm driving from 80% down to 10% (70% use) that's only 167mi.!
my longest 'regular' trip which i've not done with then ioniq yet, is 260mi. one way. and that's all interstate/turnpike after that initial 10mi. and usually about 80mph going with traffic.
assuming i start from 100% and assuming i only get 2.5mi./kwh on that type of trip my range down to 10% would be 173mi. (.9x2.5x77).
my logical stopping point would be orlando, which is only 90mi. into the trip, so 170mi. to go.. assuming i wouldn't recharge all the way to 100% again, it looks like i wouldn't make the trip without a second charge!

if that's right it's not great.

i guess my options are:
1) charge twice
2) try to go further before that first charge
3) drive slower (yeah, right)

thoughts?
Well, 3 would be obvious. Is there a trip planner in Hyundai? Or use ABR app?

Even if you had 100kwh battery, such as Model S or Lucid or EQS, you would still have issues when you have to charge on the road, and better trip planner is key.
Old 01-08-24, 08:30 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by spwolf

Even if you had 100kwh battery, such as Model S or Lucid or EQS, you would still have issues when you have to charge on the road, and better trip planner is key.
His Ioniq has a 77.4 kWh battery. 800v charging, so 10 to 80 percent in 18 minutes if he hits a properly working 350 kW charger
Old 01-08-24, 08:40 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,439 Likes on 1,599 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
His Ioniq has a 77.4 kWh battery. 800v charging, so 10 to 80 percent in 18 minutes if he hits a properly working 350 kW charger
might be easier to spot a unicorn.

fortunately i have no plans to make that trip soon.
Old 01-08-24, 08:41 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

yes, have both. i'm not concerned about not getting there, just disappointed that it looks like 170mi. between charges is about max. figured i could charge just once on a 260mi. trip.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (01-08-24)
Old 01-08-24, 09:02 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

yes, have both. i'm not concerned about not getting there, just disappointed that it looks like 170mi. between charges is about max. figured i could charge just once on a 260mi. trip.
I think once you do the trip, that disappointment will go away. The Polestar barely gets me 220 miles on a good day, charges pretty slow (maxes out at 150 kW and hits a cliff pretty quickly), relies mainly on the Electrify America charging network which is inadequate, and yet I enjoyed taking it on trips. Like I said earlier, once you jump into the pool, you'll be fine pretty quickly
Old 01-08-24, 09:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

again, you're projecting what i'm feeling. i know i'll be 'fine' but that doesn't change the FACT that distance between charges is under 200 mi. and like you say, EA is inadequate which is what i'll have to use.
don't keep sugar coating with media quotes of 10-80 in 18 minutes which almost certainly won't happen.

Old 01-08-24, 09:24 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

again, you're projecting what i'm feeling. i know i'll be 'fine' but that doesn't change the FACT that distance between charges is under 200 mi. and like you say, EA is inadequate which is what i'll have to use.
don't keep sugar coating with media quotes of 10-80 in 18 minutes which almost certainly won't happen.
That's a different issue, which I think you are over thinking. Am I disappointed my Model Y can't go 330 miles like is says on the sticker? That my battery pack is equivalent to a 2 and half gallon gas tank that takes 25 minutes to fill to 80 percent? If I'm honest, yes, sightly. But the benefits of moving to EV's outweighs those shortcomings, in my case at least. And I know that the way the technology is advancing, in a few years a lot of those shortcomings will be addressed. But in the meantime, I'm not going to sulk over it and make the best of it. Luckily you are leasing, so by the time you move on to your next car, I'm sure there will be improvements
Old 01-08-24, 10:05 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

stars do have to align.

Thats similar to my M3P range, and I am much happier on trips when I got MS LR that has bigger battery and same hwy efficiency, plus faster charging.

In the same vein, I moved from original 19 inch summer tires with hub caps to 21 inch non-ev winter tires with custom concave wheels... my car looks amazing and my range dropped some 35-40%, instead of 10% for ev winter tires. It is insane. So I am back at your numbers now and it is "fine" because i dont do many road trips during winter - which is why i did it, but i still expected like 15-25% different in real life, but i guess at 95mph you get really hurt by aero.
Old 01-08-24, 02:07 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

So are you still taking trips in this or driving something else?
Old 01-08-24, 02:19 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 313 Likes on 191 Posts

Why is it a challenge in your S to charge on the road?
Old 01-08-24, 02:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hameed
Why is it a challenge in your S to charge on the road?
Sorry, where instead of when. In EV, you have to charge.

So even if you have 260 mile trip and 300 mile ev, you still might have to charge because things will not be perfect.

But no, i got Teslas so i can charge everywhere. It is hard for me to understand that people today but non teslas when charging is so limited, at least here in Europe, it would be a nightmare for me.
Old 01-08-24, 03:51 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

That's a different issue,
a different issue to what? i think i've been pretty consistent here, but you keep interpreting it as something else.

But the benefits of moving to EV's outweighs those shortcomings, in my case at least.
my point (again) wasn't about weighing overall pros/cons, i was simply commenting on economy i'm getting, vs. what the ratings were, and implications for the only long trip i make. you already know i like my ev. you don't need to 'justify it' for me.

And I know that the way the technology is advancing, in a few years a lot of those shortcomings will be addressed.
this thread isn't about future cars, but the car i have now.

But in the meantime, I'm not going to sulk over it and make the best of it.
who said i'm sulking? i'm not.

Luckily you are leasing, so by the time you move on to your next car, I'm sure there will be improvements
most likely yes, but since i've had the car 3 months i'm not thinking about next car right now.

stars do have to align.

Thats similar to my M3P range, and I am much happier on trips when I got MS LR that has bigger battery and same hwy efficiency, plus faster charging.

In the same vein, I moved from original 19 inch summer tires with hub caps to 21 inch non-ev winter tires with custom concave wheels... my car looks amazing and my range dropped some 35-40%, instead of 10% for ev winter tires. It is insane. So I am back at your numbers now and it is "fine" because i dont do many road trips during winter - which is why i did it, but i still expected like 15-25% different in real life, but i guess at 95mph you get really hurt by aero.
haha, good attitude and i'm sure your car looks great with the nicer rims. but yeah, 35-40% drop is brutal. at least i don't get very cold weather here!

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
So are you still taking trips in this or driving something else?
'still'? i have had the car 3 months, so no long trips yet. long weekend recent trip on that route i mentioned (260mi. ea. way) took something else (ice) because time was tight and didn't want the trip to be the first 'experiment'. i'm sure it would have been ok though, just taken longer.

Old 01-08-24, 04:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

a different issue to what? i think i've been pretty consistent here, but you keep interpreting it as something else.

my point (again) wasn't about weighing overall pros/cons, i was simply commenting on economy i'm getting, vs. what the ratings were, and implications for the only long trip i make. you already know i like my ev. you don't need to 'justify it' for me.

this thread isn't about future cars, but the car i have now.

who said i'm sulking? i'm not.

most likely yes, but since i've had the car 3 months i'm not thinking about next car right now.

haha, good attitude and i'm sure your car looks great with the nicer rims. but yeah, 35-40% drop is brutal. at least i don't get very cold weather here!

'still'? i have had the car 3 months, so no long trips yet. long weekend recent trip on that route i mentioned (260mi. ea. way) took something else (ice) because time was tight and didn't want the trip to be the first 'experiment'. i'm sure it would have been ok though, just taken longer.
Lol what do you want me to tell you, your not getting the range you want or what is published and that sucks? OK, it sucks. Don't use it for trips. Is that what you want to hear? I have to admit, I'm a bit confused here
Old 01-08-24, 08:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Lol what do you want me to tell you, your not getting the range you want or what is published and that sucks? OK, it sucks. Don't use it for trips. Is that what you want to hear? I have to admit, I'm a bit confused here
let me clear up your confusion then. i don't want to hear anything further form you on this topic.

Quick Reply: 2023 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD