EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

2023 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24 | 08:31 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
let me clear up your confusion then. i don't want to hear anything further form you on this topic.
Well, nobody can accuse you of not being a straight shooter . Message received
Old 01-08-24 | 08:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Not sure why people take you pointing out a shortcoming about your car means you hate it lol
Old 01-08-24 | 08:59 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not sure why people take you pointing out a shortcoming about your car means you hate it lol
I never said he hated his car. Not once did I say that. I was trying to point out that the pros outweigh the shortcomings he was mentioning, but for some reason he didn't want to hear it. Go back and read what I wrote
Old 01-08-24 | 09:01 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
exactly. i said, quote, "it's not great" about range between charges. i still LOVE the car. charging hasn't been an issue at all in my usage. i've never used a public charger, lol.

was just conveying my experience on range #'s and expectations about a long trip i take a few times a year which i've not yet done in the ioniq 5. but it should all be fine as there's quite a lot of charging options on the way. florida isn't wyoming.

Old 01-08-24 | 09:04 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Should have bought a Lucid you big dummy.
Old 01-08-24 | 09:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

exactly. i said, quote, "it's not great" about range between charges. i still LOVE the car. charging hasn't been an issue at all in my usage. i've never used a public charger, lol.

was just conveying my experience on range #'s and expectations about a long trip i take a few times a year which i've not yet done in the ioniq 5. but it should all be fine as there's quite a lot of charging options on the way. florida isn't wyoming.
I'm confused 😕. I was only trying to convey that after your first trip you would not worry about range as much, but for some reason you took that as criticism. My bad

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-08-24 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-09-24 | 02:34 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

so about the range on my ioniq 5... ehhh...

so my reg. commute is like this...
in my community to front entrance is 1/2 mi. flat, then 1 mi. up and over a big hill (probably 50ft gain in elevation, big for florida, ha), then down to the entrance. my car tyipcally shows 3.5-4 mi./kwh
then it's about 10 mi. or rolling hills on 4 lane highway starting with a steep (for fl) up hill. i go about 70 and my elec use drops to high 2s (under 3) mi./kwh.
then it's pretty flat stop and go traffic to my office about 4-5 mi.
my consumption might be say around 3.1 mi/kwh for the trip.

so with my 77kwh battery, that equates to 239mi. on a full charge, which seems rather low.
it means that if i'm driving from 80% down to 10% (70% use) that's only 167mi.!
my longest 'regular' trip which i've not done with then ioniq yet, is 260mi. one way. and that's all interstate/turnpike after that initial 10mi. and usually about 80mph going with traffic.
assuming i start from 100% and assuming i only get 2.5mi./kwh on that type of trip my range down to 10% would be 173mi. (.9x2.5x77).
my logical stopping point would be orlando, which is only 90mi. into the trip, so 170mi. to go.. assuming i wouldn't recharge all the way to 100% again, it looks like i wouldn't make the trip without a second charge!

if that's right it's not great.

i guess my options are:
1) charge twice
2) try to go further before that first charge
3) drive slower (yeah, right)

thoughts?
Why is Orlando the "logical stopping point" for this route? Personally, I'd be looking at option 2 as charging at 90 miles seems way too soon but without knowing how much that alters the route you'd take due to locations of EA charging it's hard to say for sure. I'm also not familiar enough with how easily or detailed Hyundai's mapping system can show you your options with anticipated battery life, etc. by the time you hit certain charging locations.

This is part of the deal with EV ownership and you have to balance convenience with comfort (comfort = range anxiety) based on charger availability along your route.
Old 01-09-24 | 11:07 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Should have bought a Lucid you big dummy.
ha, for only twice the price.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
I'm confused 😕. I was only trying to convey that after your first trip you would not worry about range as much, but for some reason you took that as criticism. My bad
it's all good, but i think your enthusiasm sometimes take you down unrelated avenues or answering questions i didn't ask like telling me it will be better in the future (not helpful now), about what you would experience in california (not really relevant), how after the first time i'll have more confidence (i never had any lack of confidence), etc. i know you were trying to help though and excuse my curt response after the back and forth.

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Why is Orlando the "logical stopping point" for this route? Personally, I'd be looking at option 2 as charging at 90 miles seems way too soon but without knowing how much that alters the route you'd take due to locations of EA charging it's hard to say for sure. I'm also not familiar enough with how easily or detailed Hyundai's mapping system can show you your options with anticipated battery life, etc. by the time you hit certain charging locations.
because orlando's huge with loads of charging points?

and i just went on a better route planner, and it recommended getting a (20 min) charge (to 97%!) after just 60 miles at a costco in clermont.

This is part of the deal with EV ownership and you have to balance convenience with comfort (comfort = range anxiety) based on charger availability along your route.
of course. abrp does show i can do it with 1 charge, but i'd only have 10% left at the other end, but that's probably ok.
Old 01-09-24 | 11:10 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Haha it's all good. I admit, I'm enthusiastic about EV's, guilty . Next time I'll try to, how should I put it, curb my responses
Old 01-09-24 | 11:21 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

ha, for only twice the price.

it's all good, but i think your enthusiasm sometimes take you down unrelated avenues or answering questions i didn't ask like telling me it will be better in the future (not helpful now), about what you would experience in california (not really relevant), how after the first time i'll have more confidence (i never had any lack of confidence), etc. i know you were trying to help though and excuse my curt response after the back and forth.

because orlando's huge with loads of charging points?

and i just went on a better route planner, and it recommended getting a (20 min) charge (to 97%!) after just 60 miles at a costco in clermont.

of course. abrp does show i can do it with 1 charge, but i'd only have 10% left at the other end, but that's probably ok.
I assumed Orlando was considered logical due to chargers, just confirming. Looks like it's sending you turnpike. I think there are chargers on those left exits (granted they're spaced about 30 miles apart). That could be an option to give you more than 10% once you get to Boynton. Assuming they have EA at those exits maybe you could consider those as well.
Old 01-09-24 | 11:37 AM
swajames
Pole Position

So if you're using ABRP, one thing you may or may not know is that you can get a Bluetooth LE OBDII dongle and connect it to ABRP so that it gets real time battery and consumption data. It factors all that into your routings. It works pretty well. It will also factor in your battery health (which in your case should still be 100%) but for other vehicles with degraded batteries you're going to see reduced range for a given state of charge. As an aside, for Apple users, Apple Maps now does have native EV routing for some vehicles and it will take your real time SOC/efficiency data in account along with your preferred networks for en-route charging.
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (01-09-24), bitkahuna (01-09-24)
Old 01-09-24 | 05:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I assumed Orlando was considered logical due to chargers, just confirming. Looks like it's sending you turnpike. I think there are chargers on those left exits (granted they're spaced about 30 miles apart). That could be an option to give you more than 10% once you get to Boynton. Assuming they have EA at those exits maybe you could consider those as well.
i think chargers on turnpike rest areas are all tesla so no go.

anyway, i played with abrp a bit more... quite interesting how things change based on parameters. for example, that first go i ended up at destination with 10%. i found i can set what i want destination soc to be, so i tried 30 (had a 1hr stop so no), and then 20% and got this with a 26min stop (to 99%!):

Old 01-09-24 | 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You gotta get this wrap!

The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (01-09-24)
Old 01-10-24 | 06:00 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

anyway, i played with abrp a bit more... quite interesting how things change based on parameters. for example, that first go i ended up at destination with 10%. i found i can set what i want destination soc to be, so i tried 30 (had a 1hr stop so no), and then 20% and got this with a 26min stop (to 99%!):

...and it looks like the EV chargers are right next to several restaurants, so time it for a quick lunch stop and you're golden!
Old 01-10-24 | 07:08 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I'm pretty sure I saw a mix of chargers when we took it last year. You live there, though.

Quick Reply: 2023 Ioniq 5 Limited AWD