EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

home charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23 | 04:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

You might be a red neck lol.
10-30 dryer plug compatible 25A charger through the window of barn. Works fine in a brief test.

The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (10-09-23), JeffKeryk (10-09-23)
Old 10-09-23 | 05:02 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Thanks. what do you mean by ‘actual’ charging station? what I have in my barn IS a 240v dryer hookup. yes I’m working on getting the higher amp one in the garage but I’ve only had the car 3 days lol
He's referring to the next step up from the "simple" plug and cable into the dryer outlet. It's just that, a cable that simply powers the charger that's in the car itself.

The next option is a charger "outside" the car that bypasses the onboard charger in the car (similar to how the car is charged at a supercharger) and charges twice as fast as the "simple" solution of just the cable.

For a household with only one EV such as myself or yourself, the simple solution is more than adequate. It makes sense in @AMIRZA786 's case to have the standalone charger as he has to charge 4 cars.

For a Tesla this is the standalone charger https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/wall-connector

And this is the simple solution https://shop.tesla.com/en_ca/product/mobile-connector

Last edited by Hameed; 10-09-23 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-09-23 | 05:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

thanks hameed. so i presume the tesla wall connector converts AC to DC and does DC fast charging into the car.

is there an equivalent in the non-tesla world?
Old 10-09-23 | 06:25 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

thanks hameed. so i presume the tesla wall connector converts AC to DC and does DC fast charging into the car.

is there an equivalent in the non-tesla world?
Yes there is - here is one - https://www.chargepoint.com/drivers/home/flex-promo

There are a couple of others as well https://www.caranddriver.com/shoppin...argers-tested/
Old 10-09-23 | 07:46 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Hameed, it’s not just a cable straight to the car, can’t do that. He’s running a 25 amp mobile charger off the dryer outlet, so it’s functionally equivalent to the two Tesla chargers posted.

Bitkahuna, L2 charging is all AC. The cars’s onboard charger does the conversion.
The following 2 users liked this post by swajames:
bowser (10-09-23), Hameed (10-10-23)
Old 10-09-23 | 08:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

thanks for clarification. i'm asking these dumb questions because i figure others venturing down this wormhole may have similar questions!

so what's the difference between the tesla mobile connector and wall connector? is it that the wall connector is heavier duty wiring/etc to handle higher current and designed to be permanently installed? that it?
The following users liked this post:
swajames (10-09-23)
Old 10-09-23 | 08:51 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

and for clarification, the car's onboard charger takes a/c and converts to d/c and can only handle a certain amount of power.
dc fast charging (not at home) goes straight into the larger lower dc pins (or same pins on tesla connection + handshake so car knows what's about to hit it lol) and the car's charger is out of the loop?
Old 10-09-23 | 09:01 AM
swajames
Pole Position

thanks for clarification. i'm asking these dumb questions because i figure others venturing down this wormhole may have similar questions!

so what's the difference between the tesla mobile connector and wall connector? is it that the wall connector is heavier duty wiring/etc to handle higher current and designed to be permanently installed? that it?
that’s pretty much it. One is designed be used anywhere with the right outlet, home or away, the other is typically hardwired and you use it where it is installed. The main difference is usually that you can support higher charge rates with a hardwired wall connector if your circuit can support it. Both supply AC to your car, they are functionally equivalent, but one can usually charge faster than the other. If you don’t need the extra speed, you might get by just fine with the mobile charger and you can save on the install cost etc.
Old 10-09-23 | 09:04 AM
swajames
Pole Position

and for clarification, the car's onboard charger takes a/c and converts to d/c and can only handle a certain amount of power.
dc fast charging (not at home) goes straight into the larger lower dc pins (or same pins on tesla connection + handshake so car knows what's about to hit it lol) and the car's charger is out of the loop?
yep, L2 supplies AC and onboard converters handle the switch to DC. DCFC pushes DC straight in and bypasses the converters.
Old 10-09-23 | 11:41 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Thanks. what do you mean by ‘actual’ charging station? what I have in my barn IS a 240v dryer hookup. yes I’m working on getting the higher amp one in the garage but I’ve only had the car 3 days lol
The actual charging station that mounts on the wall, like an EA Home station, Tesla Universal charging station, etc. Take a look at the links I sent you earlier
Old 10-09-23 | 06:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hyundai does give you a free charger, my neighbor got one for her new Ioniq 5. She got a very nice 50amp ChargePoint charger. Total cost to install it was $1,500. That was a long run from the panel through finished ceilings etc. So, don’t buy a wall unit, get the free one.

This is a helpful video:

https://youtu.be/edqfXbwDGdw?si=E7srxR7FeIaGhzRO

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-09-23 at 06:15 PM.
bitkahuna (10-09-23)
Old 10-09-23 | 06:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Hyundai does give you a free charger, my neighbor got one for her new Ioniq 5. She got a very nice 50amp ChargePoint charger. Total cost to install it was $1,500. That was a long run from the panel through finished ceilings etc. So, don’t buy a wall unit, get the free one.
They didn't give us a free charger! They did give us 2 free years of Electrify America, so maybe in your area they give chargers instead of free charging. They will make up the $1500 in about 6 to 9 months or sooner, depending on what they used to spend on gas. Plus they will be able to get a Fed tax credit (they give you a credit towards installation as well) when they file their taxes
Old 10-09-23 | 06:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
They didn't give us a free charger! They did give us 2 free years of Electrify America, so maybe in your area they give chargers instead of free charging. They will make up the $1500 in about 6 to 9 months or sooner, depending on what they used to spend on gas. Plus they will be able to get a Fed tax credit (they give you a credit towards installation as well) when they file their taxes
They just started offering the free charger 10/1 and through 10/31. My neighbor bought hers in late September but they gave it to her anyway. You also get the EA charging free.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/special-programs/hyundai-home-charging-package

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-09-23 at 06:17 PM.
AMIRZA786 (10-09-23)
Old 10-09-23 | 06:32 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They just started offering the free charger 10/1 and through 10/31. My neighbor bought hers in late September but they gave it to her anyway. You also get the EA charging free.

https://www.hyundaiusa.com/us/en/spe...arging-package
It's funny how things have changed. Go back to January, and not only were they not giving two years free charging and a Level 2 charger, but they weren't even giving the basic charging cable! That was $200 extra. There were no lease deals, and on top of that, they finally dropped ADM...only on the base RWD
Old 10-09-23 | 06:50 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

yes, i had a phone call with these folks today about their high quote and trying to understand if the charger was 'free' as i saw on there, or paid, as it was stated in the quote.

https://hyundaihomemarketplace.com/

i was told i will get a coupon via email from hyundai but it typically takes about 10 days. so i will hold off on deciding my charging solution until i get that coupon and if it doesn't show i'll be calling them back.

Quick Reply: home charger