EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

home charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-23, 07:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Let us know what you find out, my neighbor got hers figured out pretty quick
Old 10-09-23, 07:42 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Hyundai does give you a free charger, my neighbor got one for her new Ioniq 5. She got a very nice 50amp ChargePoint charger. Total cost to install it was $1,500. That was a long run from the panel through finished ceilings etc. So, don’t buy a wall unit, get the free one.

This is a helpful video:

https://youtu.be/edqfXbwDGdw?si=E7srxR7FeIaGhzRO
I suppose we should bring this conversation over to this thread.

She did get it hardwired for that cost, right? Otherwise she's settling for 40A max charge and paid more for it.
Old 10-09-23, 07:49 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,372 Likes on 1,557 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
i second this recommendation. Destination chargers at hotels are usually Tesla only so this will be very handy for longer trips
i don't go to hotels so not relevant to me.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
$300 will pay itself back in a couple of months.
you keep talking about things paying back, but i don't think i spend as much on gas as you do so 'capital costs' do matter to me. i certainly don't make frequent 800mi. round trips like you do.

I assume you have two years free Electrify America (Hyundai gave it to us)
my understanding is the EA 'free' charging are limited to 30 minute sessions which should still be useful.

I paid $500 for a home Level 2 charger,
what kind did you get again? sorry if you mentioned before.

The actual charging station that mounts on the wall, like an EA Home station, Tesla Universal charging station, etc. Take a look at the links I sent you earlier
thanks i did (now). the tesla one is $785 i think

Hyundai does give you a free charger, my neighbor got one for her new Ioniq 5. She got a very nice 50amp ChargePoint charger. Total cost to install it was $1,500. That was a long run from the panel through finished ceilings etc. So, don’t buy a wall unit, get the free one.
hmm my quote was higher than that, but maybe once i get my charger coupon it will be less.

so i assume your neighbor's chargepoint unit is hard wired, right?

excellent video, thanks!
Old 10-09-23, 08:13 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna

you keep talking about things paying back, but i don't think i spend as much on gas as you do so 'capital costs' do matter to me. i certainly don't make frequent 800mi. round trips like you do.

my understanding is the EA 'free' charging are limited to 30 minute sessions which should still be useful.

hmm my quote was higher than that, but maybe once i get my charger coupon it will be less.

excellent video, thanks!
I have an Electrify Home, it was $450 with a $50 off coupon.

Ok, maybe it will take you a year, but you're in this for the long haul I'm assuming. An actual charging station makes life so much easier, and you've always mentioned you would rather pay for convince, like going to an empty Chevron gas station over waiting in line at a much cheaper Costco gas station. Same principle, except here you actually eventually recoup your costs
Old 10-09-23, 09:04 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 649 Likes on 404 Posts

ignore good advice at your peril…. There are over 40,000 Tesla destination chargers, and they’re not just at hotels - they are in malls, restaurants, parks, parking structures and more, they are often free, and all you need to be able to use them is an adapter.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (10-09-23)
Old 10-09-23, 09:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hers is actually not hardwired, they ran a 14-50 plug into the garage and it’s plugged into that. The electrician she used was not through Hyundai.

The cost is totally reasonable for the job here, running the wire to the garage was a PITA. My house is much easier because that whole area is unfinished (our houses are mirror images of each others but her basement is fully finished while that area in my house is an unfinished storage room). Mine is wired all the way to the garage with two 60amp breakers ready for installation of two chargers. I had it done when the basement was finished since they had to put a sub panel anyways.
Old 10-10-23, 01:26 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

excellent video, thanks!
Amazon is running a sale today and tomorrow. EV chargers are on sale. Good time to grab 1.
Old 10-10-23, 03:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Amazon is running a sale today and tomorrow. EV chargers are on sale. Good time to grab 1.
good point. thanks. but free through hyundai is probably worth waiting for...
The following 3 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (10-10-23), BayeauxLex (10-10-23), Hameed (10-10-23)
Old 10-10-23, 03:55 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
ignore good advice at your peril….
my peril huh? lol i'm new to all this obviously, so cut me some slack, i'm sure my views will change over the next few months... i was just saying i don't stay in hotels much (airbnb's when away, mostly).

There are over 40,000 Tesla destination chargers, and they’re not just at hotels - they are in malls, restaurants, parks, parking structures and more, they are often free, and all you need to be able to use them is an adapter.
sounds good, i'll add a tesla->ccs adapter to the shopping list.
will say though you have a frunk that is big enough to sleep in... i don't want to be using half my cargo space for chargers and adapters, lol.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 10-10-23 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-10-23, 04:54 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

An actual charging station makes life so much easier, and you've always mentioned you would rather pay for convince, like going to an empty Chevron gas station over waiting in line at a much cheaper Costco gas station. Same principle, except here you actually eventually recoup your costs
you don't need to convince me to get a charger installed! of course i will be doing that. i got the car friday afternoon and it's tuesday, and i'm weighing options. thanks.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (10-10-23)
Old 10-10-23, 05:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

you don't need to convince me to get a charger installed! of course i will be doing that. i got the car friday afternoon and it's tuesday, and i'm weighing options. thanks.
You’ve got the barn! Lol
Old 10-10-23, 07:12 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Hers is actually not hardwired, they ran a 14-50 plug into the garage and it’s plugged into that. The electrician she used was not through Hyundai.
That's a shame her electrician didn't talk her into saving some money and getting a higher rate of charge. My electrician is the one who talked to me about the advantages of hardwiring over plug-in.
Old 10-10-23, 07:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
That's a shame her electrician didn't talk her into saving some money and getting a higher rate of charge. My electrician is the one who talked to me about the advantages of hardwiring over plug-in.
No clue why she wouldn’t have wanted it hardwired, for me though I would probably choose to do a plug also so I can easily upgrade the charger if I want to. Difference between charging at 50 amps vs 40amps isn’t that much.
Old 10-10-23, 08:11 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 733 Likes on 505 Posts

I have 2 14-50s in my garage because I got them installed prior to everyone switching over to NACS. Didn't want to have to deal with an adapter if/when we got a non-Tesla EV
Old 10-10-23, 08:51 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

No clue why she wouldn’t have wanted it hardwired, for me though I would probably choose to do a plug also so I can easily upgrade the charger if I want to. Difference between charging at 50 amps vs 40amps isn’t that much.
48A vs 40A is 20%, so not nothing.

What do you think you would be upgrading, as far as a charger goes? You have a 60A circuit, so that's the limiting factor. It's pretty easy to turn off the breaker and hardwire it yourself, once the work has already been done. Also, the big failure point with plug-in chargers is the outlet itself. It's very important to get a quality one.

Quick Reply: home charger