EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

home charger

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-23, 08:09 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,098 Likes on 1,630 Posts

That's why I had a professional electrician do the install. No DIY on this for me
Old 10-12-23, 08:21 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Not saying that you would need a permit to replace the charger, but you would need an electrician to wire in a hardwired charger. No responsible handyman is going to wire in an EV charger.
To install it the first time? Yes, licensed electrician. To replace one that's already there? Absolutely trivial, completely DIY zone--replacing an outlet or light switch is more difficult, and those are pretty easy to begin with. If a handyman isn't confident enough in his skills to swap three wires in screw terminals where the only one you have to get right is the ground (and that one is blindingly obvious), I don't want him working on my plumbing, woodworking, or really, anything in my house at all.
The following users liked this post:
Mike728 (10-12-23)
Old 10-13-23, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
To install it the first time? Yes, licensed electrician. To replace one that's already there? Absolutely trivial, completely DIY zone--replacing an outlet or light switch is more difficult, and those are pretty easy to begin with. If a handyman isn't confident enough in his skills to swap three wires in screw terminals where the only one you have to get right is the ground (and that one is blindingly obvious), I don't want him working on my plumbing, woodworking, or really, anything in my house at all.
I don't let a handyman replace an outlet or a switch either, and my handyman contractors won't do it anyways. Its liability. Its not that they CAN'T do it, of course they can, I can do it, but you take on liability when you do that and my experience over 20 years in the housing industry dealing with contractors and construction and renovations and repairs has taught me the savings isn't worth the liability. We manage over 400 rental properties and we turn them over all the time, we have general contractors, painters, handymen, electricians, plumbers...everybody does what they do and not what they don't do. We have some vendors who do multiple things and thats great, but they are licensed to do all the work that they are doing.

Honestly, I would rather replace a switch or an outlet myself than have a handyman do it who isn't specifically licensed to do electrical work. If I'm taking on the liability then at least I know its done right because I did it. No way I would let a handyman wire an EV charger, and good handymen would refuse to do it anyways because theres too much liability.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-13-23 at 08:06 AM.
Old 10-13-23, 08:24 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 297 Likes on 228 Posts

Honestly, I would rather replace a switch or an outlet myself than have a handyman do it who isn't specifically licensed to do electrical work. If I'm taking on the liability then at least I know its done right because I did it. No way I would let a handyman wire an EV charger, and good handymen would refuse to do it anyways because theres too much liability.
So we agree that you or I could just upgrade an existing hardwired charger ourselves, and wouldn't have to pay anyone unless we wanted to.
Old 10-13-23, 08:34 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by geko29
So we agree that you or I could just upgrade an existing hardwired charger ourselves, and wouldn't have to pay anyone unless we wanted to.
Absolutely, you can. You can do lots of stuff yourself. Would I? No. Would I recommend to others that they do? No.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-13-23 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-13-23, 09:07 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 643 Likes on 483 Posts

I don't let a handyman replace an outlet or a switch either, and my handyman contractors won't do it anyways. Its liability. Its not that they CAN'T do it, of course they can, I can do it, but you take on liability when you do that and my experience over 20 years in the housing industry dealing with contractors and construction and renovations and repairs has taught me the savings isn't worth the liability. We manage over 400 rental properties and we turn them over all the time, we have general contractors, painters, handymen, electricians, plumbers...everybody does what they do and not what they don't do. We have some vendors who do multiple things and thats great, but they are licensed to do all the work that they are doing.

If replacing an outlet, or a light switch was as big a liability as you claim, a permit and licensed electrician would be required to do the job. It seems like you're just not used to doing things like this for yourself. My parents wouldn't do this kind of work either, but they also don't hand wash their cars, or cut their own grass. Not to mention, they're in their mid 80's.

What really surprises me is your comment below:

I'm in the housing business, no electrician will come do anything at your house for $50 lol. They wont do that for me and I have electricians I pay $100,000+ a year to. Will they come wire a new one for $250-500? Sure. Service call and 1-2 hours of labor.
Is it just that you don't want to ask for a favor, or are you're not on good terms with your labor force? I would think one of them would do the work pro bono as a thank you. It would literally take one of them 15 minutes to do a swap.
Old 10-13-23, 09:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Mike728
If replacing an outlet, or a light switch was as big a liability as you claim, a permit and licensed electrician would be required to do the job. It seems like you're just not used to doing things like this for yourself. My parents wouldn't do this kind of work either, but they also don't hand wash their cars, or cut their own grass. Not to mention, they're in their mid 80's.
You would be assuming wrong. I am more than capable of doing these kinds of things and have done plenty. it’s just that I have seen first hand the kind of liability this sort of thing can create, and understand why professionals won’t do things they could easily do out of concern for liability. I would not wire an EV charger myself. I would and do wire switches and outlets myself all the time, light fixtures etc too no problem. Too much current going through an EV charger for me to wire one myself regardless of how physically simple it is.

Is it just that you don't want to ask for a favor, or are you're not on good terms with your labor force? I would think one of them would do the work pro bono as a thank you. It would literally take one of them 15 minutes to do a swap.
I have many many contractors who would and do take care of stuff for me, but most people don’t do when I give people advice I bear that in mind.

I would only have an electrician do that though I wouldn’t want one of my other tradespeople to do that. And they wouldn’t anyways.
Old 10-13-23, 09:28 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 965 Likes on 770 Posts

If someone is handing out a lot of work to a contractor, they may offer to help sometimes, just as a token of gratitude.

Even tho it may be a 15 min job, it always much longer.

i deal with this in my job.

just talking to the customer before, during, and after the job can take more than that. Handling, scheduling, getting parts, checking the work, etc, etc.

From A-Z total time invested is always multiples of what people think it is.

The time the tool is in the hand may be 15 mins but the total cost can be an hour or two.

Old 10-13-23, 10:04 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Margate330
If someone is handing out a lot of work to a contractor, they may offer to help sometimes, just as a token of gratitude.

Even tho it may be a 15 min job, it always much longer.

i deal with this in my job.

just talking to the customer before, during, and after the job can take more than that. Handling, scheduling, getting parts, checking the work, etc, etc.

From A-Z total time invested is always multiples of what people think it is.

The time the tool is in the hand may be 15 mins but the total cost can be an hour or two.
I agree with you in a lot of situations. However, just swapping an existing charger out with a new one, shouldn't even take 15 minutes. Maybe if the box the new charger is in is difficult to open. LOL

In reality, though, I can't see the need to ever replace a working charger. Unless, you're also upgrading the whole circuit, which would then require a qualified licensed electrician. Steve never replied as to why he thought he would need to replace a hardwired charger. I think he just used that excuse, because he initially claimed a plug-in charger was just as good as hardwired. Once he was proven wrong, he changed the scope.
Old 10-13-23, 10:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I never claimed a plug in charger was as good as a hardwired charger, I said you could get a hardwired charger to operate at 50 amps (or 48 amps).

Why would I want to replace one? Technology moves quickly. Might there be a better charger down the line that integrates better into a smart home or something like that? Might I originally have a car with a CCS plug and get another one with an NACS plug and not want to deal with adapters? Might it stop working right and need to be replaced? Might one be smaller and take up less space on my wall?

I haven’t even done this yet, and I may go the route of hardwiring it when I do but those are the reasons why I would consider just a plug in unit. To me the difference in charging speed between 40 and 50 amps isn’t a big deal.
Old 10-13-23, 11:11 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,826 Likes on 2,389 Posts

Who knew charging was so complicated. Falcon 9 rocket with 27 Merlin engines is less complicated.
Old 10-13-23, 11:58 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Who knew charging was so complicated. Falcon 9 rocket with 27 Merlin engines is less complicated.

pumping gas is even less.

btw, I connected wires to my charger with licensed electrician looking over my shoulder. If I change charger, I’m not calling him back.
Old 10-13-23, 11:58 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

I never claimed a plug in charger was as good as a hardwired charger, I said you could get a hardwired charger to operate at 50 amps (or 48 amps)...
LOL No, you said:

There are many 50A plug in level two chargers, my neighbor has one. Reason I will go plug in is the ease of replacing/upgrading it.

Also Hyundai just signed onto NACS so you’ll have access to the Tesla network.
I'm glad to see you're now understanding the difference, though.
Old 10-13-23, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

LOL No, you said:

I'm glad to see you're now understanding the difference, though.
Which is accurate, it just requires a 60amp circuit which is not to code on a 14-50 outlet but most electricians will wire it that way. Which I also said.

My neighbors is plugged into a 14-50 outlet on a 60 amp breaker.
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (10-13-23)
Old 10-13-23, 02:50 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Which is accurate, it just requires a 60amp circuit which is not to code on a 14-50 outlet but most electricians will wire it that way. Which I also said.

My neighbors is plugged into a 14-50 outlet on a 60 amp breaker.
They can not pull 48A on a plug-in. I asked you to provide proof, and you shared a unit that can be hardwired (48A), or plugged in (40A). It was actually a nice unit, that allows for upgrading if needed.

Quick Reply: home charger