EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

EQS Ownership Megathread

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-23, 01:16 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 449 Posts

Well, I already have the best part of 600hp and 800 lb/ft of torque on mine, and one thing I've observed is that while you can easily increase your overall efficiency with some good driving habits, when you go in the other direction and drive like a loon it has a much lesser impact on efficiency than you might have expected. EV powertrains are efficient across a wide power band. In other words, it's easy to see the rewards from trying to drive efficiently, but you don't seem to get punished too much, efficiency-wise, when you push things harder.

So net/net - get the upgrade!
The following 3 users liked this post by swajames:
AMIRZA786 (11-01-23), TriC (11-01-23), UltraLux22 (11-01-23)
Old 11-01-23, 01:43 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Well, I already have the best part of 600hp and 800 lb/ft of torque on mine, and one thing I've observed is that while you can easily increase your overall efficiency with some good driving habits, when you go in the other direction and drive like a loon it has a much lesser impact on efficiency than you might have expected. EV powertrains are efficient across a wide power band. In other words, it's easy to see the rewards from trying to drive efficiently, but you don't seem to get punished too much, efficiency-wise, when you push things harder.

So net/net - get the upgrade!
You don't have to tell me twice! Thanks!
Old 11-01-23, 03:42 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 449 Posts

So case in point on the notion that driving an EV a bit harder doesn’t punish you as much as you might expect. I had a meeting in Fremont today, close to the Tesla plant as it happens, and on the roughly 20 mile drive home despite driving reasonably hard for much of it, like a loon for some of it and maintaining a “brisk” pace for most of it, I ended the trip at 2.4 miles per kWh. It was showing 2.5 miles per kWh right until I was essentially at my driveway. for context, that rate of consumption would drive a total range 5% to 10% greater than my truck’s advertised range.

Last edited by swajames; 11-02-23 at 05:47 AM.
Old 11-01-23, 11:50 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

I had a brief opportunity to test drive the EQS last night to experience its increased performance after I activated the acceleration service. To say the least, the results were insane! As I had no idea what to expect, I experienced two intense reactions, almost leading to an embarrassing situation twice. More details to follow. ***Basically I nearly urinated while simultaneously scaring the sh$$ out of myself, twice!🫣More to come.....

Last edited by UltraLux22; 11-01-23 at 11:56 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
bitkahuna (11-02-23), signdetres (11-02-23), SW17LS (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 05:16 AM
geko29
Super Moderator
Senior Moderator

Received 309 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Range isn’t affected unless you can’t keep your foot out of it
So you're saying it significantly reduces range....
The following users liked this post:
signdetres (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 06:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

ultra, you have the eqs 450 and now with the 'upgrade' it's a lot faster, so i wonder what's the upside of a 580 over a 450?
UltraLux22 (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 06:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ultra, you have the eqs 450 and now with the 'upgrade' it's a lot faster, so i wonder what's the upside of a 580 over a 450?
Equipment for one, no hyperscreen available in the 450, some of the improved interior materials (which the car really needs) are not available in the 450. I'm sure you can also get this upgrade for the 580 which would make it more bonkers too.
UltraLux22 (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 07:24 AM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I think the 580 is still a little bit faster. The upgrade gets the 450 pretty close though.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Equipment for one, no hyperscreen available in the 450, some of the improved interior materials (which the car really needs) are not available in the 450. I'm sure you can also get this upgrade for the 580 which would make it more bonkers too.
For the '24 model year, the Hyperscreen will be standard on all EQS sedans and SUVs. They're gaining standard equipment, features, and improvements across the board for '24 as well. In addition, there are no interior material upgrades/options on the 580 that you cannot also option on the 450. The cars can be configured identically, the only difference is in the motor output.

For '23, the only "upgrade" the 580 got you over a 450 was the Hyperscreen. No other upgrades or standard features. (Not like in the S-Class where the 500 has standard leather and the 580 gets you Nappa, etc.)

The 580 does not have the acceleration boost available. Nor the AMG. It's only for the dual motor EQE and EQS models, so EQE 350 4MATIC and EQS 450 4MATIC. Those are the only models it's available on.

Last edited by signdetres; 11-02-23 at 07:28 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by signdetres:
AMIRZA786 (11-02-23), bitkahuna (11-02-23), UltraLux22 (11-02-23)
Old 11-02-23, 12:17 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Although the Hyperscreen feature alone could arguably justify the price difference between the two models, unfortunately, I was unable to find a deal for the 580 that matched the one I received for my 450. However, as previously mentioned by SW17LS, there are other factors that make the 580 special. I haven't checked if there are any available acceleration upgrade options for the 580 yet, but there is a possibility that it may receive a similar performance boost like the one the 450 gets, or even an AMG-level upgrade. I will have to conduct further research on this.!😁😁

Update
*** signdetres beat me to it! ***

Last edited by UltraLux22; 11-02-23 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-02-23, 01:14 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

I think the 580 is still a little bit faster. The upgrade gets the 450 pretty close though.

For the '24 model year, the Hyperscreen will be standard on all EQS sedans and SUVs. They're gaining standard equipment, features, and improvements across the board for '24 as well. In addition, there are no interior material upgrades/options on the 580 that you cannot also option on the 450. The cars can be configured identically, the only difference is in the motor output.

For '23, the only "upgrade" the 580 got you over a 450 was the Hyperscreen. No other upgrades or standard features. (Not like in the S-Class where the 500 has standard leather and the 580 gets you Nappa, etc.)

The 580 does not have the acceleration boost available. Nor the AMG. It's only for the dual motor EQE and EQS models, so EQE 350 4MATIC and EQS 450 4MATIC. Those are the only models it's available on.
To add to this, some things do change for 2024 between the 450 and 580 models, according to the 2024 Order Guide.

The EQS 580 models will now come standard with:
  • Nappa leather
  • Multi-contour front seats with massage
  • Rapid heating front seats
These remain optional on 450 models
Old 11-02-23, 01:17 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

To add, some things do change for 2024 between the 450 and 580 models, according to the 2024 Order Guide.

The EQS 580 models will now come standard with:
  • Nappa leather
  • Multi-contour front seats with massage
  • Rapid heating front seats
These remain optional on 450 models
I currently have the multi-contour front seats with massage and rapid heating front seats. Those seats will light your *** on 🔥!! I’m not even remotely joking! With the upgraded climate control, heating, and seats, I’m immensely impressed with how fast and well they function, almost too well. Having the Mercedes connect functionality of using the app to pre-climatize the cabin before driving is one of the more valuable features of the connected services, in my opinion. While the massage seats are comfortable, I prefer a firmer massage, but I still like it nonetheless.
The only feature I regret not having is the hyperscreen, which was probably my most coveted, but I’m delighted with what I’ve got.

Last edited by UltraLux22; 11-02-23 at 01:27 PM.
Old 11-06-23, 10:34 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Carpeted mats can't be cleaned. Even after scrubbing and pressure washing, after dry I shake them and dust comes out. They look nice I guess. You're right hardly any options for your car I found a couple like this one
https://autofrontmask.com/en-ca/prod...-eqs-2020-2022
never heard of this company
Thank you for sharing the link with me. I immediately contacted the company to inquire about the 2023 EQS sedan cargo liners. At present, their website only displays listings for models from 2020 to 2022. However, they offer various materials and styles, ranging from $195 to $487. Based on the images they provided, the fabrics look top-notch, but I will need to inspect them in person to confirm their quality. Currently, I am awaiting the company's clarification on any differences between the 2020-2022 models and their compatibility with the 2023 version. Once I receive this information, I will provide an update.
Old 11-06-23, 10:36 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Due to a mistake in the delivery, I received the EQS SUV version of the cargo liner. However, after Amazon corrected this error, I was sent the sedan version, which, although not my first choice, will suffice for protecting the carpet in the cargo area. Once allowed to flatten out, it fits perfectly. Currently, there are only two outlets where I can purchase a cargo liner, and the price difference between the WeatherTech and the Amazon liner is about $100. Even though the WeatherTech appears to be of higher quality and durability, I cannot justify the cost difference as neither is my preferred choice. As long as I've been driving, I have added all-weather mats to my vehicles, including Acura, BMW, Lexus, Honda, and Toyota, and all had OEM products that were much higher quality and made of a solid but flexible, thicker rubber. I don't understand why Mercedes-Benz doesn't offer an OEM option for the cargo/trunk liner. Nevertheless, for now, I will be using a net/cargo liner combo until a better option comes along.
Old 11-07-23, 02:51 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

In my experience, the biggest difference is in the 50-60 range and also around 90. With the boost, those higher speeds are noticeably a lot punchier but once you hit 90, it feels like it gets a "second wind" of sorts and wants to pull even harder into triple digits. I found it a little addicting, ended up getting a speeding ticket at 96 mph 🙃 I went back to cruising after that lol
I've been living with the acceleration upgrade on my EQS for a few days now, and let me tell you, it's been one wild ride! The bump in performance from my already potent EQS has become so powerful that I can't help but feel like I'm in a rocket! Although I haven't had the chance to really open it up as you have, I've been "testing" the low-end bump in torque off the line, and let's say it's like a bolt of lightning that hits you when you least expect it! The sensation of being able to leave other cars in the dust is addictive, and I'm having a hard time restraining myself from using it all the time. I'm not driving recklessly, but I'm using situations I might not necessarily drive as aggressively to experience the power. I know my limits and what I should do, but having the capability to use something doesn't mean you should always take advantage of it, right?

I'm at a crossroads. If I keep on this path, I'll end up in the same predicament you found yourself in, with the blue and red flashing lights dancing in my rearview, and my luck, I'd probably be carted off to jail! LOL. I initially concluded that I would likely not continue after these 30 days for several reasons. Although I'm having a blast, I'm glad that there is an increased cost involved because although I've been self-policing myself, I know I'm pushing my luck, and if you remove the shiny new toy, it's less likely to get broken. Don't get me wrong, the EQS is already a beast regarding power, so I don't think I'll miss out on much. So, as much as it pains me to admit, I will have to say no to crack and stick to my practical life!
The following 2 users liked this post by UltraLux22:
AMIRZA786 (11-07-23), signdetres (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23, 07:52 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

I thought these cars were much faster. These numbers make Tesla's acceleration boost so cheap. $2000 to go from 4.8 to 4.2. But MB's way of selling is better IMO. Tesla should offer monthly fees as many don't keep the car for that long. They will sell more IMO.

Quick Reply: EQS Ownership Megathread