EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

EQS Ownership Megathread

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-23, 09:28 AM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 719 Likes on 449 Posts

Things don't slide around if the mat/liner is made of the right materials, the rubberized ones work pretty well. My main suggestion is to get a folding/collapsible cargo storage box with adjustable/removable partitions. They work wonders on the Costco runs etc. We have ones in all of our vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
AMIRZA786 (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23, 09:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Honestly I don’t really have any interest in a car being faster than 4-4.5 seconds to 60…
Old 11-07-23, 09:42 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,235 Likes on 1,740 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Honestly I don’t really have any interest in a car being faster than 4-4.5 seconds to 60…
Haha that's what I thought. Than you see the look on the faces of people driving "fast" expensive cars as they try to understand how you just smoked them. Paying $2K for that experience is worth every single penny

Of course, I'm not advocating racing 😁
Old 11-07-23, 09:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Eh, it’s really not my thing. Fun for a little while…
AMIRZA786 (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23, 09:59 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

So true, although I do like teasing my wife that I'm going to floor it. The look she gives me is worth a thousand pictures. Of course if I actually do it, I end up in the dog house....if you know what I mean
SW17LS (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23, 10:37 AM
Allen K
-0----0-
Forum Moderator

Received 802 Likes on 560 Posts

Whenever my kids start getting fussy and arguing with each other, I floor it. Gets them every time
The following 2 users liked this post by Allen K:
SW17LS (11-07-23), UltraLux22 (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23, 10:49 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Whenever my kids start getting fussy and arguing with each other, I floor it. Gets them every time
LoL unfortunately my "kids" (19 and 23) both drive EV's, are both lead foots, and love it when I put my foot down. It's only my wife who hates it

Old 11-07-23, 10:49 AM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Hell, it gets me every time too.... and I know it's coming!

You should through in a random brake check every so often!
Old 11-07-23, 11:03 AM
1111GS
Forum Moderator

Received 97 Likes on 85 Posts

I was just commenting about the prices. Yeah even published 5.2 is plenty for me.
Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Haha that's what I thought. Than you see the look on the faces of people driving "fast" expensive cars as they try to understand how you just smoked them. Paying $2K for that experience is worth every single penny
Of course, I'm not advocating racing 😁
Are you still saving your penny? It is not worth every single penny and you know it. MY folks don't buy it. They may use credit to get it but not their hard earned dollars.

AMIRZA786 (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23, 11:09 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
I was just commenting about the prices. Yeah even published 5.2 is plenty for me.

Are you still saving your penny? It is not worth every single penny and you know it. MY folks don't buy it. They may use credit to get it but not their hard earned dollars.
Yep, always saving those pennies . I definitely would use credits. There are three potential buyers I have sent referral links to, one of them has a test drive coming up. That should give me about $500 in credits if they end up buying
Old 11-07-23, 01:09 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

LoL unfortunately my "kids" (19 and 23) both drive EV's, are both lead foots, and love it when I put my foot down. It's only my wife who hates it
From my experience, passengers, particularly significant others, don't appreciate the sudden and unexpected changes in direction while on the road. The rapid shift in momentum, especially the abrupt deceleration that comes after a quick acceleration, can be particularly disconcerting in stop-and-go traffic. And honestly, I can't blame them considering the inertia and the 6000 lb Advil liqui-gel hurtling down the road. Coming to a stop has a few times felt like when a bumper car bangs into another bumper car! To mitigate this issue, I frequently used the dynamic cruise on my ES 350, especially in stop-and-go traffic. Although it can be nerve-wracking to relinquish driving functions to a computer, I found it to work well and continued to use it regularly. The main issue I encountered was after coming to a complete stop, the forward motion of the start-up would often occur at a slow pace. It appears that I was driving too slowly for some Formula 1 drivers who were in a rush to win the championship.
I was intrigued by the EQS's version of the Mercedes' Active Distance Assist Distronic system, which is included in the Driver's Assistance package. This system offers various improvements over the older systems, including stop-and-go capability and traffic-jam assist, which are the stars of today's discussion! With Distronic, the vehicle can automatically accelerate when the driver signals to pass. However, I haven't had a chance to test this feature yet. It's more advanced than a typical dynamic cruise, elevating the system's abilities beyond the basics. I found it more intuitive and responsive, but I'm still learning the scenarios in which the vehicle will proceed forward after coming to a complete stop. It's only sometimes a straightforward process and can depend on a variety of factors. Sometimes, the car would continue moving forward without my input, similar to the Lexus, as long as the waiting period hadn't expired while stopped. With the tap of a button, the car could be put into standby/waiting mode, and as soon as the vehicle ahead began to move, so would I at a leisurely pace. The EQS follows many of these same principles but is "smarter" in some scenarios, and I need to re-familiarize myself with the variables.

Regarding the deceleration and stopping process, Lexus has three levels of distance-keeping for the cruise, which also affects the distance maintained behind a car when the system stops you. So, if I have the system set to three or the highest setting, it will keep the furthest distance while cruising and when coming to a stop. Now, the EQS has four levels of distance-keeping, but while I have no doubt that it keeps distances apart while cruising, it's when coming to a stop where things get interesting. Firstly, I need to test the distance-keeping further once I arrive at a complete stop. I didn't intentionally check this, but someone likely knows until I can see for myself. The most significant change for me, and the one that gives my passenger nightmares, is when the Big Benz, while using the Distronic cruise with stop-and-go or whatever they've coined, decelerates and comes to a halt. I won't say stop because that doesn't accurately describe the level of deceleration that you expect to happen much sooner than it does, and the abrupt stop is nothing short of terrifying the first time it happens. We're talking about a life-flashing-before-your-eyes feeling!
Consequently, my passenger, significant other, absolutely refuses to ride with me if I use this in stop-and-go traffic because the pace at which the EQS accelerates and decelerates to a stop is like that of a road-rager whom you've just cut off or angered in some way. I often thought I hadn't set the system correctly or had chosen the shortest distance-keeping length. However, it does this every time, at least in my limited experience, but again, I need to test the distance-keeping levels. However, preliminarily, regardless of the 1-4 level of distance-keeping, it always comes to a complete stop when the system is engaged, which can be pretty aggressive. I find myself cautiously trusting but always ready to intercede. The DISTRONIC system chooses to begin decelerating much later than I, as a driver, would ever begin to come to a stop, referring to a car completely stopped at a light or stop sign. It seems like the car waits until the last moment to begin braking and then stops right up against the vehicle in front. The sensation of the brake pedal aside, the powerful braking is noticeable. This is way more than my driver's ed coach would have ever approved. This is where I need to test the distance levels, but regardless of the setting, the car stops at the same distance from the vehicle in front of it. I'm going to recheck to make sure. That's it in a nutshell!

Well, unlike you who have a bunch of little adrenaline junkies as passengers, I'm left with just the road and my own need for speed. It's a solitary life, but someone's gotta do it!
Attached Thumbnails EQS Ownership Megathread-advil-liqui-gel.jpeg  

Last edited by UltraLux22; 11-07-23 at 01:31 PM.
AMIRZA786 (11-07-23)
Old 11-07-23, 01:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

agreed. my ev is plenty quick enough and thrilling. when i pull away at a light, i see the headlights of cars behind disappear quickly.

So true, although I do like teasing my wife that I'm going to floor it. The look she gives me is worth a thousand pictures. Of course if I actually do it, I end up in the dog house....if you know what I mean
Yep, always saving those pennies . I definitely would use credits. There are three potential buyers I have sent referral links to, one of them has a test drive coming up. That should give me about $500 in credits if they end up buying
ah yes, the tesla pyramid scheme.

Old 11-07-23, 01:49 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
agreed. my ev is plenty quick enough and thrilling. when i pull away at a light, i see the headlights of cars behind disappear quickly.

ah yes, the tesla pyramid scheme.
Whatever works, brother
Old 11-07-23, 02:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Things don't slide around if the mat/liner is made of the right materials, the rubberized ones work pretty well. My main suggestion is to get a folding/collapsible cargo storage box with adjustable/removable partitions. They work wonders on the Costco runs etc. We have ones in all of our vehicles.
nice, can you recommend a specific one?
Old 11-12-23, 12:18 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Default Dark Spots in the Headlights

Since the day I got my car, I have noticed some annoying dark spots that only appear at night. Although it might seem trivial, it can be quite distracting. I had the same issue with my previous Lexus, where the dark protrusions looked like fangs. I wonder if anyone else has experienced this issue before. Before reaching out to MB service, I thought I'd ask here first. You can see the areas of concern on the left in the video. Please disregard the dark spot at the beginning as it was just a bug or some other debris. 😄

*** I had to compress a 206 MB file to 18 MB and deleted the audio. Hoping the quality didn't degrade too much.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
IMG_3491(1).avi (17.96 MB, 14 views)

Quick Reply: EQS Ownership Megathread