EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

EQS Ownership Megathread

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-24, 12:02 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Oh I agree, why somebody would spend all that money on an EQS and then ANOTHER $45k on a terrible A Class to drive on trips. Makes no sense lol.
Making a significant investment in a high-end luxury car and then opting for a cheaper version for long-distance journeys is like indulging in a vintage cote de boeuf at a Michelin-starred restaurant and then settling for a McDonald's Apple Pie for dessert. It's like acquiring a sophisticated Rolex watch and then relying on an ancient sundial to keep track of time. It's like garnishing a stale Triscuit with exquisite Beluga caviar. It's like buying a sprawling mansion and then sleeping in a tent pitched in the backyard. The decision-making process behind this choice is difficult to comprehend.

Why did the uncomprehensible decision cross the road? To get to the other side of stupidity!
The following users liked this post:
bitkahuna (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24, 12:23 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 196 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Mercedes hasn’t been given access to superchargers yet so he won’t be charging at the Tesla stations unless they’re the slow level 2 destination chargers found at hotels. That’s a different adapter than the SC adapter though
He mentioned he ordered an adapter and he’s been waiting a few weeks for it.

Youre right, the guys sounds like an idiot. He’s deliberately making his experience terrible.

So an EV with range far worse than the EQS or a gas S Class. Like bit said, the guy is an idiot lol

He doesn’t want to be comfortable on his business trips?

Or he could just put a charger in his house lol

Clearly he doesn’t have plenty of money if he’s balking at spending $3k for a home charger and would rather drive and sit for an hour.

I say let the guy suffer in his own stupidity lol.
Sounds like purchasing the A class made trips comfortable He mentioned he’s ended up on a tow truck 2x trying to find a working charger on trips. The charging infrastructure isn’t here if you’re a non Tesla owner.

Funny how you all are quick to call him an idiot. Maybe he’s just uneducated on EV and charging. He’s not a car guy by any means. From what I gathered, he’s a Mercedes guy. His relative owns a Mercedes dealership. He reverted back to what he’s known to work his entire life…he purchased a gas vehicle. How that makes him an idiot?

Looking at EA charging map where he said he frequently make business trips, there’s 1 EA station along in between that 3 1/2hr drive and it’s 2hrs away. After that, ZERO. And hopefully that one works. So I can see why he tries to make it to the Mercedes dealer where he’s familiar they have a working charger.

Far as changing at home, I don’t know his situation as to why he doesn’t have a charger at home. I can insinuate it wouldn’t make much sense if he’s considering a gas S class as maybe his next vehicle. That’s $3k gone down the drain.

Maybe he’s ok going to the dealership. Plenty of people here take their cars to the dealership for things others may seem minor can be done at home. Or again, he doesn’t want to dump $3k on a charger then buy a gas S class.

Oh I agree, why somebody would spend all that money on an EQS and then ANOTHER $45k on a terrible A Class to drive on trips. Makes no sense lol.
What’s terrible to you may not be so terrible to the next person? They are just cars. Point A to point B. Everyone doesn’t care about all the bells and whistles and the prestige feeling or what have you being in a $100k vehicle all the time. Which is how my uncle can daily drive an Accord hybrid with his Rolls Royce and Range Rover sitting in the garage.
Old 05-11-24, 12:25 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
He mentioned he ordered an adapter and he’s been waiting a few weeks for it.

Sounds like purchasing the A class made trips comfortable He mentioned he’s ended up on a tow truck 2x trying to find a working charger on trips. The charging infrastructure isn’t here if you’re a non Tesla owner.

Funny how you all are quick to call him an idiot. Maybe he’s just uneducated on EV and charging. He’s not a car guy by any means. From what I gathered, he’s a Mercedes guy. His relative owns a Mercedes dealership. He reverted back to what he’s known to work his entire life…he purchased a gas vehicle. How that makes him an idiot?

Looking at EA charging map where he said he frequently make business trips, there’s 1 EA station along in between that 3 1/2hr drive and it’s 2hrs away. After that, ZERO. And hopefully that one works. So I can see why he tries to make it to the Mercedes dealer where he’s familiar they have a working charger.

Far as changing at home, I don’t know his situation as to why he doesn’t have a charger at home. I can insinuate it wouldn’t make much sense if he’s considering a gas S class as maybe his next vehicle. That’s $3k gone down the drain.

Maybe he’s ok going to the dealership. Plenty of people here take their cars to the dealership for things others may seem minor can be done at home.

What’s terrible to you may not be so terrible to the next person? They are just cars. Point A to point B. Everyone doesn’t care about all the bells and whistles and the prestige feeling or what have you being in a $100k vehicle all the time. Which is how my uncle can daily drive an Accord hybrid with his Rolls Royce and Range Rover sitting in the garage.
"He mentioned he’s ended up on a tow truck 2x trying to find a working charger on trips"

Sounds pretty idiotic to me...
Old 05-11-24, 12:27 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by signdetres
"He mentioned he’s ended up on a tow truck 2x trying to find a working charger on trips"

Sounds pretty idiotic to me...
As a fellow owner, what should I suggest to him if the charger isn’t working and like you said he doesn’t have access to Tesla chargers?
Old 05-11-24, 12:38 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,751 Posts

I'm staying out of this one 🤣
Old 05-11-24, 12:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,771 Likes on 1,978 Posts

If he is comfortable in an A Class for trips then he wasted his money on an EQS lol. He should just sell the EQS and use the money for something he actually understands the value of and gets enjoyment from. Nothing wrong with cars that aren’t $100k, but he has spent $100k and refuses to adapt so that he can get enjoyment out of what he bought.

And sorry, from your descriptions the guy is an idiot. He refuses to adapt and learn how to best use his vehicle he spent over $100,000 on and instead bought ANOTHER much less enjoyable vehicle to do most of his driving with when he should have just bought a vehicle that met all of his needs.

This story feeds into your anti-EV narrative which is why you’re trying to say he’s not an idiot, but he clearly is. There is nothing wrong with being uneducated but you have to be willing to learn and adapt whenever you try something new. He seems unwilling to do that.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-11-24 at 12:48 PM.
signdetres (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24, 12:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As a fellow owner, what should I suggest to him if the charger isn’t working and like you said he doesn’t have access to Tesla chargers?
He will have access to Tesla chargers in a few months. Otherwise when traveling he has to find working chargers.

The other advice he needs to listen to is to stop wasting his time charging to 100%. It’s making his charge stops take 4 times as long as they have to.
Old 05-11-24, 01:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,751 Posts

He will have access to Tesla chargers in a few months. Otherwise when traveling he has to find working chargers.

The other advice he needs to listen to is to stop wasting his time charging to 100%. It’s making his charge stops take 4 times as long as they have to.
This I second. This is what is ruining his experience. The only time I ever charge to 100 percent is if I'm charging overnight, out of town, and have a lot of driving to do the next day. Otherwise the longest I've spent at a supercharger is 20 minutes... unless there is an issue with the chargers. Also I wait until I'm down to 10 percent or less
Old 05-11-24, 01:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
This I second. This is what is ruining his experience. The only time I ever charge to 100 percent is if I'm charging overnight, out of town, and have a lot of driving to do the next day. Otherwise the longest I've spent at a supercharger is 20 minutes... unless there is an issue with the chargers. Also I wait until I'm down to 10 percent or less
And with an EQS that has 380 miles of range, it’s hardly ever necessary to charge to 100%. Only reason I would is if I am leaving on a trip the next day and it’s charging in my garage overnight.
The following 3 users liked this post by SW17LS:
AMIRZA786 (05-11-24), signdetres (05-11-24), UltraLux22 (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24, 01:36 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

If he is comfortable in an A Class for trips then he wasted his money on an EQS lol. He should just sell the EQS and use the money for something he actually understands the value of and gets enjoyment from. Nothing wrong with cars that aren’t $100k, but he has spent $100k and refuses to adapt so that he can get enjoyment out of what he bought.

And sorry, from your descriptions the guy is an idiot. He refuses to adapt and learn how to best use his vehicle he spent over $100,000 on and instead bought ANOTHER much less enjoyable vehicle to do most of his driving with when he should have just bought a vehicle that met all of his needs.

This story feeds into your anti-EV narrative which is why you’re trying to say he’s not an idiot, but he clearly is. There is nothing wrong with being uneducated but you have to be willing to learn and adapt whenever you try something new. He seems unwilling to do that.
How should he adapt when there are NO working chargers along the route he travels for business?

Me anti-EV????? You’re kidding right….I have more EV miles than some people who drive BEVs on this forum. My PHEV is current plugged in and cooling down the cabin in “my room mode”.

He reached one road trip destination so he stopped at the Mercedes dealer and charged so he would have juice to drive around. He chooses to charge to 100%. Then charged to 100% so he could drive back home. No EA chargers along that route. This is the same 210 mile route my friend MYLR can’t make it without stopping for a 5-10 min charge around the halfway mark.

And with an EQS that has 380 miles of range, it’s hardly ever necessary to charge to 100%. Only reason I would is if I am leaving on a trip the next day and it’s charging in my garage overnight.
380 miles estimated or useable?
Old 05-11-24, 01:46 PM
UltraLux22
Instructor

Received 537 Likes on 372 Posts

I consider myself to be moderately well-versed in the realm of EVs! I am not inclined to use the term "idiot" to describe someone unaware of the nuances of adapting to an EV lifestyle. Instead, I would use the term "ignorant" to describe their lack of knowledge in this area. In fact, I was once ignorant of the necessary elements that go into embracing an EV lifestyle until I decided to take the plunge and gain first-hand experience. Of course, I understand. Ignorance can be forgiven, but not preparing oneself is an entirely different matter. It's always better to be well-prepared and informed than to act foolishly and regret later. Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not an excuse for being caught off guard. Being prepared for the EV lifestyle empowers you to navigate its challenges with confidence and capability.

My approach to situations, especially those that could leave me stranded, is to be meticulous in my thinking. During a recent road trip, I faced a frustrating situation at an EA charging station, which momentarily made me question my sanity and choice of an EV lifestyle. Well, as they say, where there's a will, there's a way - even if it involves a few expletives and creative problem-solving! At least I can laugh about it now.
BayeauxLex (05-11-24)
Old 05-11-24, 01:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

How should he adapt when there are NO working chargers along the route he travels for business?
He should have done that research beforehand. Look at all the research I have done about EV charging along routes I commonly take. Spending over $100,000 for a car with a dramatically different method of fueling without doing that due diligence to make sure it’s feasible for you makes one an idiot lol.

Me anti-EV????? You’re kidding right….I have more EV miles than some people who drive BEVs on this forum. My PHEV is current plugged in and cooling down the cabin in “my room mode”.
You are pro HEV and PHEV but everything you post about BEVs is relentlessly negative.

He reached one road trip destination so he stopped at the Mercedes dealer and charged so he would have juice to drive around. He chooses to charge to 100%. Then charged to 100% so he could drive back home. No EA chargers along that route. This is the same 210 mile route my friend MYLR can’t make it without stopping for a 5-10 min charge around the halfway mark
Hes choosing to spend 4-5 times longer charging than he has to by doing that.

210 miles? An EQS can do that and have 100 miles of range left over.

380 miles estimated or useable?
Usable, more actually. Look at the tests, the EQS has great range.
signdetres (05-13-24)
Old 05-11-24, 02:00 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

This is a guy who’s not going to read around on EV forums. He probably read what was on the window sticker and took what his salesperson or whatever the technology person told him about the car and went on his merry way.
Old 05-11-24, 02:00 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Has he reached out to the MB dealership for advice and explanation of how to best charge/travel etc.? If the dealership is owned by a relative, I would think they'd accommodate him.
Old 05-11-24, 02:26 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

He should have done that research beforehand. Look at all the research I have done about EV charging along routes I commonly take. Spending over $100,000 for a car with a dramatically different method of fueling without doing that due diligence to make sure it’s feasible for you makes one an idiot lol.

Not everyone is going to do a bunch of research before buying a vehicle. You have car enthusiast then you have regular people who purchase what they can afford and looks good to them.

You are pro HEV and PHEV but everything you post about BEVs is relentlessly negative.

I would disagree. I’ve been literally begging my friend to join me for a track day with his M3LR just like I’ve suggested others on here as well. I’m typing this as I’m idling in EV mode at ballet practice. Looking back as I said before, I should’ve bought an EV instead of my PHEV but I onIy knew of Tesla. 4,955 miles on this current tank of gas. Over 6,500 miles on previous tank. Anti EV? 👀

Hes choosing to spend 4-5 times longer charging than he has to by doing that.

210 miles? An EQS can do that and have 100 miles of range left over.

At what speed? The speed limit is 75mph. There are a few elevation changes along the way as well. But regen should recoup what was lost climbing the hill. The 210 mile trip from what I gathered he can make it on full charge. Once arriving he said he stops and charges so he can have juice for running around. Then charges again before heading back home.

The business route trip he takes a little further in the opposite direction with 1 EA station along the way which is over 2hrs away from starting point.

Usable, more actually. Look at the tests, the EQS has great range.

I’ve learned that.
Originally Posted by LexBob2
Has he reached out to the MB dealership for advice and explanation of how to best charge/travel etc.? If the dealership is owned by a relative, I would think they'd accommodate him.
I’m not sure. I’ve onIy had 1 conversation with him while I was waiting for my wife for lunch. I was parked behind his car which sparked the conversation. I do remember him saying the relative’s Mercedes dealership is 9hrs away which is where he purchased his A class.

Quick Reply: EQS Ownership Megathread