EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

"How to ruin your electric car's battery" - and how not to

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-24 | 12:09 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

What is interesting is that when I first got my Plaid Tesla said to charge to 90% and it stayed that way for almost two years. Then all of a sudden this year they changed it to 80%. Not sure why they changed it but hoping my battery life wasn't affected too much especially when I was following what was reccommended by Tesla.
Old 01-28-24 | 12:16 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by swajames
the other part of misinformation being one of the biggest obstacles EVs have to overcome isn't necessarily the existence of the misinformation itself as much as it is the number of people who are susceptible to uncritically accepting that misinformation as fact. So on the one hand we can and should blame the misinformation purveyors, but just as much blame, IMO, is on those who willingly accept things as fact without any effort to validate it and then pass it off as their own opinion.
we can blame that on schools and parents who would prefer participation trophies than increased critical thinking.
The following 2 users liked this post by bitkahuna:
AMIRZA786 (01-28-24), swajames (01-28-24)
Old 01-28-24 | 12:18 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
we can blame that on schools and parents who would prefer participation trophies than increased critical thinking.
yep, lot of blame to go around there
Old 01-28-24 | 12:50 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by swajames
EVs generally do pretty well in hot climates, certainly better than they do in very cold climates. Mine has an extra cooling circuit for the battery (the extra cooling circuit 's part of my max tow package, but it works to keep the battery cool under other circumstances). Really the only thing you need to do is remember to avoid long periods of inactivity at a very high state of charge. Of course the climate EVs like best of all is the temperate climate where it never freezes and rarely gets close to the triple digits but that's mostly true for any type of car.
In summer of 2022 I took my Polestar to SoCal and drove through 112 heatwave with no issues. Also last summer, my Tesla did fine driving in temps above 100F
The following users liked this post:
swajames (01-28-24)
Old 01-29-24 | 03:21 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
So the "participation trophy" generation are the holdouts on EVs due to misinformation? Don't think I agree with that. Those are mostly younger folks that aren't experienced enough to have been bitten by the latest, greatest thing that turned out not to be so great once you have to live with it. Most of them will buy into anything that allows them to virtue signal on social media.

I think the real issue is lack of trust because almost everyone, on all sides, has an agenda and either overstate positives/negatives or lie through omission.
Old 01-29-24 | 07:57 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Bob04
So the "participation trophy" generation are the holdouts on EVs due to misinformation? Don't think I agree with that. Those are mostly younger folks that aren't experienced enough to have been bitten by the latest, greatest thing that turned out not to be so great once you have to live with it. Most of them will buy into anything that allows them to virtue signal on social media.

I think the real issue is lack of trust because almost everyone, on all sides, has an agenda and either overstate positives/negatives or lie through omission.
I don't think he meant people who don't buy EVs lol 🤣. Our poor education system is equal opportunity...it affects everyone on both sides of the Isle, in my experience at least

In other words, there's plenty of stupid to go around 😂

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 01-29-24 at 08:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
bitkahuna (01-29-24), Bob04 (01-30-24)