EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

Tesla chargers for non Tesla EVs…what is this going to look like?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-24, 02:02 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Yes it was a Turo rental.

Since May 2023 his MYLR has 22,730 miles. And his main reason for going EV was to save vs buying gas. These are conversations him and I had during his searching/buying process
He's definitely saving on gas if he's charging at home, and he's saving on not having to do maint. As far as insurance, it shouldn't be that much more than an equivalent priced gasoline vehicle. My Model Y is about $200 a year more than an equivalent vehicle, and I live in probably the most expensive insurance market in the country. He should shop around, or maybe try Tesla Insurance, which I use to insure my Y.

In two years and almost 30K miles, my Polestar only costed me new tires. Our 2020 Ioniq costed us $0 in maint and repair over 3 years and 35K miles
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (02-11-24)
Old 02-13-24, 03:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

@BayeauxLex This review from Savagegeese on Toyota hybrids pretty much sums up why I prefer an EV over a hybrid, specifically a Toyota hybrid. I'm not saying hybrids are bad, but they are not fun . That said, if I were to ever buy a Hybrid, it would only be a Toyota or Lexus

BayeauxLex (02-14-24)
Old 02-14-24, 12:13 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
@BayeauxLex This review from Savagegeese on Toyota hybrids pretty much sums up why I prefer an EV over a hybrid, specifically a Toyota hybrid. I'm not saying hybrids are bad, but they are not fun . That said, if I were to ever buy a Hybrid, it would only be a Toyota or Lexus

https://youtu.be/tGyYwPITNBQ?si=zwx8ci1NRv8s-Ofn
Great vehicle and perspective. We treats our hybrids as such, point A to point B. I’m never hustling them around town red light to red light. My 3rd gen prius is such a boring vehicle to drive. It doesn’t like to be rushed. But it serves it purpose, efficient commuter. I recently put an aftermarket CarPlay radio and a 10 inch sub in it since I’m not getting anywhere in a hurry in it. 😆 Going back I would’ve bought a Camry hybrid over the Prius for the extra space and peppiness all while achieving the same efficiency.

So how I ended up with my Rav Prime, I saw how “quick” it was for a commuter in hybrid mode and I could possibly get by without having to use gas around town. When I took delivery I was reluctant to test drive it but my salesman insisted. I put it in hybrid mode, stopped in middle of street, launched it, drove it 1 block, made a u turn and went back to sign the papers. Granted it’s not as quick as some EVs (1 sec slower 0-60 than MYLR) but I never feel/felt it was boring to drive. EV mode isn’t quick by any means but I can hit a button and have a little fun in hybrid mode. I like that option. Toyota, imo, have hybrids figured out.

My wife used to have a RX450h F sport and we test drove a RX 350 F sport back to back and she and I both agreed we liked the smoothness of the hybrid over the non hybrid model. We moved on to a LX 570 but she stated driving the Rav Prime makes her miss driving a hybrid. Maybe in the future there will be a hybrid LX 600. I honestly pitched the idea of an EV to her but she wasn’t interested. Sometimes she forgets to plug in the Rav Prime (mainly I think because she knows it has gas as well) so I know there would be times she would forget to charge an EV. When we rented the Model 3 performance, she drove it without me in the car and she wasn’t moved by it. She actually said she didn’t like it. While she was out she experimented charging at a super charger. I put a deposit on the Rav Prime and Rav hybrid the following week.

If we lived where gas was expensive as it is in California we would have a hybrid AND and EV.
AMIRZA786 (02-14-24)
Old 02-14-24, 08:54 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Great vehicle and perspective. We treats our hybrids as such, point A to point B. I’m never hustling them around town red light to red light. My 3rd gen prius is such a boring vehicle to drive. It doesn’t like to be rushed. But it serves it purpose, efficient commuter. I recently put an aftermarket CarPlay radio and a 10 inch sub in it since I’m not getting anywhere in a hurry in it. 😆 Going back I would’ve bought a Camry hybrid over the Prius for the extra space and peppiness all while achieving the same efficiency.

So how I ended up with my Rav Prime, I saw how “quick” it was for a commuter in hybrid mode and I could possibly get by without having to use gas around town. When I took delivery I was reluctant to test drive it but my salesman insisted. I put it in hybrid mode, stopped in middle of street, launched it, drove it 1 block, made a u turn and went back to sign the papers. Granted it’s not as quick as some EVs (1 sec slower 0-60 than MYLR) but I never feel/felt it was boring to drive. EV mode isn’t quick by any means but I can hit a button and have a little fun in hybrid mode. I like that option. Toyota, imo, have hybrids figured out.

My wife used to have a RX450h F sport and we test drove a RX 350 F sport back to back and she and I both agreed we liked the smoothness of the hybrid over the non hybrid model. We moved on to a LX 570 but she stated driving the Rav Prime makes her miss driving a hybrid. Maybe in the future there will be a hybrid LX 600. I honestly pitched the idea of an EV to her but she wasn’t interested. Sometimes she forgets to plug in the Rav Prime (mainly I think because she knows it has gas as well) so I know there would be times she would forget to charge an EV. When we rented the Model 3 performance, she drove it without me in the car and she wasn’t moved by it. She actually said she didn’t like it. While she was out she experimented charging at a super charger. I put a deposit on the Rav Prime and Rav hybrid the following week.

If we lived where gas was expensive as it is in California we would have a hybrid AND and EV.
Your wife is the only person I've heard of that drove a Model 3P and wasn't impressed by at least the way it drives. But my wife who is no car person doesn't really care either. If I gave her a Sienna hybrid, a Plaid, or heck, even if she went back to her 2013 Sienna she would be happy. She doesn't care as long as drives good and is reliable.

The only hybrid I can say I was totally impressed with was the RX450h. That had a butter smooth drivetrain, I could live with that, but it performs nowhere near my Model Y, and its way less efficient. Although it does have better suspension and better seats. OK, a lot better seats.

You are correct, Toyota hybrids are for going from A to B reliably. They are appliances, same as the Model Y is, but I just enjoy driving the Model Y whereas I didn't really enjoy driving any of the Toyota Hybrids...except the RX450h. But since the Model Y has better performance and efficiency, it's the better choice for me.

As I've said earlier, Toyota/Lexus hybrids are excellent, and extremely well built, efficient and reliable. I would only buy hybrids from Toyota/Lexus, but for the reasons Mark gave near the end are reasons I would rather drive a BEV
BayeauxLex (02-14-24)