EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-24 | 06:52 PM
Allen K
-0----0-
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Has anyone here gone all in on BEV, own no gas vehicles?

Hanging on to a gas vehicle to only drive is 3-4x a year I don’t get unless it’s a classic car/collectible.

My friend with MYLR says he can’t see himself buying another gas vehicle but won’t get rid of the one he has.
I keep the minivan around because sometimes I need the lower load floor. Also helps for Costco and airport runs. The good thing is that a tank of gas lasts me a month. I put maybe 3k miles a year on it
Old 03-13-24 | 07:59 PM
BayeauxLex
Racer

Is anyone willing to admit they are keeping their gas car in the event something catastrophic happens with their BEV, charging or in case of an emergency where a gas vehicle is needed?

Or simply not confident yet to go all BEV.

I believe there’s only one here who owns a MY and an EQS and no gas vehicle to my knowledge.
Old 03-13-24 | 08:18 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Is anyone willing to admit they are keeping their gas car in the event something catastrophic happens with their BEV, charging or in case of an emergency where a gas vehicle is needed?

I believe there’s only one here who owns a MY and an EQS and no gas vehicle to my knowledge.
I'm more worried about the opposite happening. I lived through the gas crises of the '70s, although I wasn't driving yet. I remember my parents needing to get in line on even, or odd days. If we lose electricity, I think I would have bigger issues to be concerned with.
Old 03-13-24 | 08:19 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Speaking for myself only, I'm keeping my Sienna because it's paid for, it seats 8 people, has a giant cargo area, and it's a minivan. If a BEV minivan came out tomorrow I wouldn't run out and get it because that would be financially irresponsible. When the time comes to replace it, it will be most likely another BEV.

I'm 100 percent confident I could go fully electric, it's already March and we've only used it once this year. Last time I filled up the gas was around January. If power ever went out, I know the Tesla chargers use a combination of battery and generator backup. I actually plan to also install a backup generator at some point.

Remember, gas stations also require power to pump gas. Some of my colleagues in our Texas office couldn't fill up when they had that really bad winter a few years back
Old 03-13-24 | 08:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TGPCanada
I think they are saying that, with the same quantity of critical mineral resources, you can either put on the street: A) 1 BEV and 89 ICEs or B) 90 Hybrids. And in this scenario, Option B will result in 37 times less CO2 output than Option A. So their argument is it is better to use those critical mineral resources to produce 90 hybrids (to replace 90 ICEs) instead of 1 BEV (to replace only 1 ICE) if you want to cause a faster CO2 reduction for the planet
that's based on a fixed amount of resource. oil is also a finite resource but obviously there's still 'some' exploration, and lithium exploration is definitely in full swing.

Originally Posted by Allen K
Source for lithium claim? The Salton Sea in CA is estimated to have enough lithium to create 375M EVs and battery recycling has improved over time as well
problem is, there will likely be a giant fight in california getting that lithium out of the ground.[/quote]

Also, changing the font to white is hard to see, I'd opt for another color
works great in dark mode. i say this because i constantly get black text on the dark background in some quoted posts. it's a hot mess.
Old 03-13-24 | 08:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by asj2024
Btw, your argument still does not invalidate the conclusion of the study that, given the conditions today, PHEV and HEVs can be "greener" than an EV.
i would wager that 'study' has some oil money behind it.
Old 03-13-24 | 09:21 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Never thought anyone would argue that a finite resource is better than one that is recycled over and over yet here we are.
Old 03-13-24 | 09:27 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Conspiracy theory with no evidence is always the last refuge when valid data-driven counter-arguments are lacking.
Old 03-13-24 | 09:48 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Never thought anyone would argue that a finite resource is better than one that is recycled over and over yet here we are.
1. No one is arguing that. The argument is over the current life cycle of both paths, and how it is possible for PHEVs and HEVs to be as "clean" (or even cleaner) overall as the BEVs.

2. Porsche is looking into eFuels, which are synthetic hydrocarbons.
Old 03-13-24 | 09:53 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Possibly so...

Conspiracy theory with no evidence is always the last refuge when valid data-driven counter-arguments are lacking.
Not so fast friend.

I wouldn't call it a conspiracy theory to make a wager like @bitkahuna did

Totally within the realm of possibilities, we are talking huge companies, markets, and supply chains and everyone has an agenda and much to gain(or loose) and we've seen fakeness too many times.

Have to question everything!

That's how the world works.
​​​​​
Old 03-13-24 | 10:03 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

1. No one is arguing that. The argument is over the current life cycle of both paths, and how it is possible for PHEVs and HEVs to be as "clean" (or even cleaner) overall as the BEVs.
More data

https://www.transportenvironment.org...electric-cars/

Old 03-13-24 | 11:43 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Not so fast. Neither you nor anyone here can validate that data, and what most are pushing back on here is the interpretation of that data and the conclusions that were reached. And it’s entirely legitimate to question funding behind reports that otherwise wouldn’t exist unless someone commissioned them because there’s always an agenda. Always. The EV market has been plagued since its infancy with bogus reports specifically designed to reach specific conclusions and, generally speaking, they could be traced back to those with something to lose or without something to sell. That’s the reason people question these things.
Old 03-14-24 | 05:17 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Extricator

2012 Toyota Prius (Gen 3) - January - February 2024: Total distance driven: 8,430 miles. Overall gas mileage: 73.6 mpg.
2023 Tesla Model Y, 384 HP, 0-60 in 4.6 seconds

Total miles, 11,832. Average MPG, 122. Tank is full every morning. Super high efficiency, except I have almost double your HP

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-14-24 at 05:29 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by AMIRZA786:
Allen K (03-14-24), LeX2K (03-14-24), Mike728 (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24 | 05:39 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by LeX2K

Interesting study, thank you. The problem with it is:

1. it only considers carbon dioxide emissions it seems. The study in the OP factors in the generation of a lot more types of pollutants, including particulates.

2. it does not consider driving behavior. For example, people in the USA on average drive less than 37 miles (60 km) per day, and this would significantly affect CO2 emissions for PHEV drivers (no CO2 at all on most days, given that many PHEVs have EV ranges greater than that)

Old 03-14-24 | 05:43 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

So we're still spinning the tyre particulates, despite the earlier debunking?

Quick Reply: The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV