EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-24, 06:03 AM
asj2024
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
So we're still spinning the tyre particulates, despite the earlier debunking?
1. No one has "debunked" anything, other than citing the usual conspiracy theories and whining about the Kia/Tesla comparison. On average, BEV (and PHEV a bit) weigh more than gas and HEV cars due to the heavy batteries, and this affects tire emissions.

2. The particulates mentioned refers to emissions during the manufacturing process. Also includes CO, nitrous oxides, as below:

The GreenerCars report analyzes 1,200 cars available in 2024, assessing both the carbon dioxide emissions of the vehicle while it’s on the road and the emissions of manufacturing the car and battery. It also assesses the impact of pollutants beyond carbon dioxide, including nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide and particulate matter — all of which can harm human health.

Old 03-14-24, 06:10 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 252 Likes on 190 Posts

1) We very much did.

2) How exactly does an EV emit CO & oxides of nitrogen?
Old 03-14-24, 06:26 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 767 Likes on 536 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Is anyone willing to admit they are keeping their gas car in the event something catastrophic happens with their BEV, charging or in case of an emergency where a gas vehicle is needed?

Or simply not confident yet to go all BEV.

I believe there’s only one here who owns a MY and an EQS and no gas vehicle to my knowledge.
Similar to AMIRZA my Ody is paid off so it makes no sense to get rid of it. Although when the time comes, we may get the id.Buzz depending on how the pricing shakes out. Given where we are in the state, it'd take another Sandy sized storm to force us to evacuate and if that were the case we'd take the Rivian because it's far more capable than the Ody. Other than that we've been a 3 car / 2 driver household since 2017 and that's when we had 3 ICE cars. It's nice to have a 'spare' car regardless of whether the other cars are ICE or EVs.

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
Speaking for myself only, I'm keeping my Sienna because it's paid for, it seats 8 people, has a giant cargo area, and it's a minivan. If a BEV minivan came out tomorrow I wouldn't run out and get it because that would be financially irresponsible. When the time comes to replace it, it will be most likely another BEV.

I'm 100 percent confident I could go fully electric, it's already March and we've only used it once this year. Last time I filled up the gas was around January. If power ever went out, I know the Tesla chargers use a combination of battery and generator backup. I actually plan to also install a backup generator at some point.

Remember, gas stations also require power to pump gas. Some of my colleagues in our Texas office couldn't fill up when they had that really bad winter a few years back
The most annoying part of adding another EV to the stable would be adding another charger. We'd either have to shuffle the cars in our 3 car garage, find a charger with an extra long cord, or just add another plug. The good thing is we planned the house for all EV so we have space in the panel for it.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
problem is, there will likely be a giant fight in california getting that lithium out of the ground

works great in dark mode. i say this because i constantly get black text on the dark background in some quoted posts. it's a hot mess.
The good thing is that the area was a hot mess before the lithium was discovered If they can extract while still cleaning up and bringing new jobs to the area it's got a real chance. They need to first prove out the tech to extract though.

Re: dark mode - this forum is the only place I don't have dark mode on
Old 03-14-24, 07:40 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Similar to AMIRZA my Ody is paid off so it makes no sense to get rid of it. Although when the time comes, we may get the id.Buzz depending on how the pricing shakes out. Given where we are in the state, it'd take another Sandy sized storm to force us to evacuate and if that were the case we'd take the Rivian because it's far more capable than the Ody. Other than that we've been a 3 car / 2 driver household since 2017 and that's when we had 3 ICE cars. It's nice to have a 'spare' car regardless of whether the other cars are ICE or EVs.

The most annoying part of adding another EV to the stable would be adding another charger. We'd either have to shuffle the cars in our 3 car garage, find a charger with an extra long cord, or just add another plug. The good thing is we planned the house for all EV so we have space in the panel for it.

The good thing is that the area was a hot mess before the lithium was discovered If they can extract while still cleaning up and bringing new jobs to the area it's got a real chance. They need to first prove out the tech to extract though.

Re: dark mode - this forum is the only place I don't have dark mode on
We currently have one Electrify America home Level 2 and one backup NEMA 14-50 plug. We somehow manage to charge four EV's LoL . I may add another charger, but charging more than one at a time can be done, but it might be a challenge. I have a sub panel that shares three 50 AMP circuits (Level 2 charger, NEMA 14-50, and a circuit for our electric range). I have a 100 AMP circuit breaker to the main panel from the sub-panel. I was told by my electrician that I should upgrade our line from PG&E from 100 AMP to 200 AMP if I want to charge more than one car at a time, but that means I would need a new main panel, get approval from my Solar provider, go through an inspection and permitting process. Not worth it.

As far as the Salton Sea where they found Lithium, it's already a polluted mess. It stinks from miles away, and any lithium extraction would probably improve it

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-14-24 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-14-24, 02:43 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Extricator

2012 Toyota Prius (Gen 3) - January - February 2024: Total distance driven: 8,430 miles. Overall gas mileage: 73.6 mpg.
But again, you have to drive a Toyota Prius which is one of the worst cars I have ever driven (and we had one for 7 years). I would much rather drive basically any EV.
Old 03-14-24, 04:09 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by Extricator

2012 Toyota Prius (Gen 3) - January - February 2024: Total distance driven: 8,430 miles. Overall gas mileage: 73.6 mpg.
On HV? How the hell did you manage to get 74 mpg? Awesome though

Last edited by asj2024; 03-14-24 at 04:12 PM.
Old 03-14-24, 04:10 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
2023 Tesla Model Y, 384 HP, 0-60 in 4.6 seconds

Total miles, 11,832. Average MPG, 122. Tank is full every morning. Super high efficiency, except I have almost double your HP
Originally Posted by SW17LS
But again, you have to drive a Toyota Prius which is one of the worst cars I have ever driven (and we had one for 7 years). I would much rather drive basically any EV.
The 3rd gen’s are slow but 75mph in a slow Prius = 75mph in a 400hp BEV

When I used to daily my Prius I would be the last one leaving a stop light but I can run 80mph right along with you on the highway…for even longer/further.
The following users liked this post:
asj2024 (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 04:18 PM
asj2024
Advanced

When I used to daily my Prius I would be the last one leaving a stop light but I can run 80mph right along with you on the highway…for even longer/further.
The wife goes between 70-85ish mph on my 3rd gen when we do long trips. This is why I try NOT to give her the wheel no matter how tired or sleepy I am.

ps. LOL...the tortoise and the hare eh...

Last edited by asj2024; 03-14-24 at 04:22 PM.
BayeauxLex (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 04:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Except that it’s screaming loud and coarse at 80 MPH with so stability or solidity not to mentions zero style, absolutely nothing like any car I have had other than that Prius.

Look, if all you want is a driving appliance then that’s it. If you want to enjoy what you’re driving through there is just no question that modern EV is a much more enjoyable thing to drive. It’s an efficient car that’s refined like a luxury car, quick like a sports car and requires no gas all for a reasonable cost. Tons of great options now. Much more enjoyable to drive than even a new Prius, let alone a 10+ year old one.

Thats why this whole argument is so silly. People who buy EVs don’t buy them simply because they are efficient, which is why they don’t care that your old Prius gets 70 MPG

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-14-24 at 04:28 PM.
Old 03-14-24, 04:31 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Except that it’s screaming loud and coarse at 80 MPH with so stability or solidity not to mentions zero style, absolutely nothing like any car I have had other than that Prius..
Not sure what gen you were driving, but the car does not "scream" even at 80 mph, and I've rode on one for 14 years. And driving enjoyment is in the heart of the driver. My car has given me years of reliable, very enjoyable, beautiful memories.

Also, not sure why people have started *****ting on other people's cars. You do you.
Old 03-14-24, 04:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by asj2024
Not sure what gen you were driving, but the car does not "scream" even at 80 mph, and I've rode on one for 14 years. And driving enjoyment is in the heart of the driver. My car has given me years of reliable, very enjoyable, beautiful memories.

Also, not sure why people have started *****ting on other people's cars. You do you.
I had a Gen II Prius for 7 years, the Gen III Prius is no quieter, I've driven and been in many of them. They are very loud cars on the highway.

You're the ones trying to make an argument that your old Priuses are better options for efficient driving and I'm trying to make you see that efficient, inexpensive driving is not the only reason why people buy EVs. None of us want to drive old Priuses, even if they got 100MPG. if we did we could all do that, the two cars are not the same on ant level. "Being green" isn't what its about.

I'm glad that you like your Prius, but it is not comparable to a new mainstream EV.

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-14-24 at 04:43 PM.
bowser (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 05:01 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,672 Posts

It's way more pleasant to drive 75 mph in a 400 HP BEV. When I say way more, I mean way more. It's so smooth and quiet, you would think you were cruising at 50. I had a 2016 Prius C rental I had for three weeks, I drove it from NJ to PA and back, and it's wasn't a bad car, in fact well made, but it was loud over 60, and a lot of NVH. And it struggled on steep inclines. The best thing I could say about it is it got really good gas mileage.

Again, different strokes for different folks, not a car I would buy or drive, but I don't judge anyone who drives them

Last edited by AMIRZA786; 03-14-24 at 05:08 PM.
Old 03-14-24, 05:27 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Comparing a Prius to a Tesla is laughable to be very kind. Prius has ancient software if you can even call it that, a wheezy engine and poor driving dynamics. This is coming from a lifelong Toyota enthusiast I've owned more Toyota's than anyone on this forum.
Old 03-14-24, 05:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The Prius is an economy car, its best compared to a Corolla or something of that nature, something like a Model 3 is on another level entirely.
Old 03-14-24, 05:30 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,933 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Prius Prime costs as much as a Model 3 they are directly comparable.

Quick Reply: The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV