EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-24, 11:14 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 197 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by LeX2K
Prius under hard acceleration sounds like a lawnmower. What makes it worse is the constant rpm that's how Toyota's HSD traditionally works the droning is so offensive Toyota has since tweaked it so you have "shifts".
Under hard acceleration they are a little drony but I don’t think it’s any louder than my 3UR-FE V8s under the same hard acceleration.
Old 03-15-24, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
My Prius doesn’t scream at 80 or even 94-95 however fast I’ve had it up to. The loudest thing you will hear is wind noise which is exactly what you will hear in an EV at those speeds. I’ve never driven a 2nd gen Prius so I’m not sure but I drove a 3rd gen Prius as recently as yesterday. What didn’t you like about the new Prius?

My thoughts exactly.
The Prius is one of the loudest cars you can buy at highway speeds. Again, I had one for 7 years. Its 68-70 db at 75MPH, most cars today are 62-64...thats a lot louder. Modern Priuses are better I am sure but we are talking about old Priuses

Originally Posted by asj2024
Anyone who says all Prius "scream" when driving fast obviously has not driven one
Not only have I driven one, I owned one for 7 years.

Never gone beyond 85 mph (we traveled between CO and FL just last summer), but it's perfectly fine at that speed . No loud noises, or even sqeaks or rattles (and I have 172k miles on mine). He was basically reaching for some stereotype, and managed to land in an inaccurate one
Its "fine" is just loud, like other economy cars, Corollas, Yarises etc are all the same way. Again...I have owned the vehicle too, its not a stereotype its my own experience having owned the cars and also many other cars.

New Model 3s, EV6s, Ioniq 5s etc are all much quieter on the highway. Older Model 3s and Model Ys were not quiet either but the new Highland is dramatically quieter.

Originally Posted by Mike728
I think you may need to get your hearing checked.
Seriously...

Last edited by SW17LS; 03-15-24 at 11:19 AM.
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,753 Posts

I have three 4 cylinder vehicles and two V8s. I’m telling you from my experience from what I own.

Two of the three 4 cylinders will shut off at 70mph going down the highway into EV mode. You guys make it seem like my 4 cylinders have fart can mufflers on them. Two of them you can’t even rev their engine.
No it doesn't sound like a fart can. Once you reach cruising speeds, they quiet down, but this is what a Prius sounds like under hard acceleration:

It's a droning sound, so many reviewers mention it, even with the new Prius. It also doesn't feel good under hard acceleration like a good V6 or V8 does. I went from a 3.3L V6 Camry to a slightly more powerful Civic Si, and the 12 year older Camry was not as fast, but it was way smoother, and better to drive for both highway and non highway driving. Which is why I sold the Civic Si a year later and went back to a less fuel efficient V6.

Look, you are taking this way to personally. I have no issues that you like your Prius, Absolutely none. I'm sorry, I just can't go back to a four cylinder, no matter Turbocharged, hybrid, or a combo
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Under hard acceleration they are a little drony but I don’t think it’s any louder than my 3UR-FE V8s under the same hard acceleration.
They're considerably louder, and the sound they make is buzzier and more annoying
Old 03-15-24, 11:22 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
So if you don't mind, I'm going to ask our resident V8 expert to weigh in. @AJT123 what do think is louder at 75 MPH....a 4 cylinder Prius or an LS460? A four cylinder Camry or a 3.5L V6 Camry?
I’m a former LS460 owner and 3.5 V6 Camry owner as well. The LS460 is by far the smoothest vehicle I’ve ever owned.
Old 03-15-24, 11:22 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Raw decibel numbers are quite meaningless it's the type and quality of sound if we only go by sound pressure then the LFA is a horrible car. My Highlander is a quiet vehicle but under load it doesn't sound great the engine is not LOUD but there is zero enjoyment listening to the engine keep a constant 4000 rpm.

I'd still rather listen to the 3MZ under load vs. the 2ZR-FXE refinement on that engine was last on the list of priorities.

Old 03-15-24, 11:23 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Well there you have it. I can call my buddy and soon as he answers the phone I can immediately tell he’s driving his MYLR cause of the wind noise. Just like when he used to have a F150 on MT tires. I could hear his tires in the background over the phone.

Ive owned a RX450h as well. I’ve owned all 3 that you mentioned and you didn’t mention the word screaming and neither did you mention the word droning. You said smooth, quiet, powerful.

Let the goal post stay in one spot please.
Yes, I said the R450h is the only hybrid I've driven that I can live with and daily. It's smooth, quiet and powerful. That's because it has one of Toyota's best engines ever made, the 3.5L 2GR-FXS, which I love to this day
Old 03-15-24, 11:24 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,029 Likes on 814 Posts

Raw decibel numbers are quite meaningless it's the type and quality of sound if we only go by sound pressure then the LFA is a horrible car. My Highlander is a quiet vehicle but under load it doesn't sound great the engine is not LOUD but there is zero enjoyment listening to the engine keep a constant 4000 rpm.

I'd still rather listen to the 3MZ under load vs. the 2ZR-FXE refinement on that engine was last on the list of priorities.
Can I ask, why does the engine stay at 4k rpm?

Is that part of the design or holding a steady speed?
Old 03-15-24, 11:26 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The Prius is one of the loudest cars you can buy at highway speeds. Again, I had one for 7 years. Its 68-70 db at 75MPH, most cars today are 62-64...thats a lot louder. Modern Priuses are better I am sure but we are talking about old Priuses.

Seriously...
You guys act like it’s top speed is 75mph and so the engine is screaming. I can only tell you from current experience as a current owner. The loudest noise you hear is wind noise. Just like on a Tesla at the same speed.
Old 03-15-24, 11:27 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I’m a former LS460 owner and 3.5 V6 Camry owner as well. The LS460 is by far the smoothest vehicle I’ve ever owned.
And it has an amazing engine, I considered buying a used one. If I drove a Prius and an LS460 back to back, I would love the LS460, but not so much the Prius. But let's not turn this thread into an engine thread
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (03-15-24)
Old 03-15-24, 11:29 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

You guys act like it’s top speed is 75mph and so the engine is screaming. I can only tell you from current experience as a current owner. The loudest noise you hear is wind noise. Just like on a Tesla at the same speed.
I never said screaming. More noise, and definitely more noticeable when you have to put your foot down for lane changes, merges and going uphill
Old 03-15-24, 11:32 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3,055 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Can I ask, why does the engine stay at 4k rpm?

Is that part of the design or holding a steady speed?
Engine is run at peak power/torque curve to maximize power and efficiency.
My Highlander is nothing like the Y when you put the hammer down the Tesla is on a whole other level. And I have I think the fastest hybrid Toyota made until very recently.
Old 03-15-24, 11:35 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
No it doesn't sound like a fart can. Once you reach cruising speeds, they quiet down, but this is what a Prius sounds like under hard acceleration:

https://youtu.be/9eVXi4PmBaM?si=inFTif6YqJDSIkie

It's a droning sound, so many reviewers mention it, even with the new Prius. It also doesn't feel good under hard acceleration like a good V6 or V8 does. I went from a 3.3L V6 Camry to a slightly more powerful Civic Si, and the 12 year older Camry was not as fast, but it was way smoother, and better to drive for both highway and non highway driving. Which is why I sold the Civic Si a year later and went back to a less fuel efficient V6.

Look, you are taking this way to personally. I have no issues that you like your Prius, Absolutely none. I'm sorry, I just can't go back to a four cylinder, no matter Turbocharged, hybrid, or a combo

That’s how my V8s sound under hard acceleration after the goal post was moved from which is quieter cruising at 75mph

I’m not taking it serious at all but you guys are trying to convince me that my hearing is bad when I drive these everyday/week vs what you guys remember.

I like my Prius as much as you like your Sienna. It serves its purpose.
Old 03-15-24, 11:36 AM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Again dude, you are taking this way to personally. You don't really need to worry what I think about the Prius, four cylinders, or other Toyota hybrids. It doesn't really matter. If it works for you, than what I or other say is irrelevant. If you tell me you hate BEV's or you think they drive terrible, why should I be mad at that? It's just my personal preference to not want to ever own another four cylinder, for whatever reasons
Old 03-15-24, 11:37 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

My Highlander is nothing like the Y when you put the hammer down the Tesla is on a whole other level. And I have I think the fastest hybrid Toyota made until very recently.
Until the RAV4 Prime right?

Quick Reply: The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV