EV Chat General discussion about electrified Lexus, other EV vehicle manufacturers and BEV, PHEV related industry news.

The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-24 | 02:20 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by swajames
of course not. But many will, and those that do are extremely recyclable and they can be recycled in many ways and more than once. The point was the article you posted was tap dancing around an inconvenient truth which undermines not just the most recent report you posted but also your first one.
In 2022, the amount of lithium mined was 130,000 tons, and that will rise significantly over the years. You saying any recycling done will even come close to that? Especially since we're assuming the batteries today will last at least 10 years?

In addition, the cost to recycle batteries is complex and actually more expensive than mining. You honestly think it will be economically feasible to recycle batteries to cover even a fraction of needed batteries, when it's easier to mine it?
Old 03-16-24 | 02:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by asj2024
So are you saying all these batteries being used now will need to be recycled within 10 years? That's a MASSIVE waste if these millions of BEV and PHEV vehicles will be losing their batteries within only a decade, especially as recycling is not that easy.

https://climate.mit.edu/ask-mit/how-...es-be-recycled
You have a 12 year old Prius....how many times have you needed to replace the battery? Its the same technology as what you have in your own cars.

Originally Posted by AJT123
There is a flip side to that coin.

The push for them is equally ridiculous.

I can’t even scroll down FB without non-stop EV stuff.

I just wanted to say that one piece— I have no desire to debate. You made your point and I made mine.
You realize that FB ads are dynamic right? They are showing you ads for EVs because the algorithm has reason to believe you are interested in EVs. FB doesn't show me any EV ads, ever.

So you are reading stuff or searching or clicking on those ads and thats why its showing you EV ads.

In any event, its a growth segment and its advertising.
Old 03-16-24 | 02:26 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

In 2022, the amount of lithium mined was 130,000 tons, and that will rise significantly over the years. You saying any recycling done will even come close to that? Especially since we're assuming the batteries today will last at least 10 years?

In addition, the cost to recycle batteries is complex and actually more expensive than mining. You honestly think it will be economically feasible to recycle batteries to cover even a fraction of needed batteries, when it's easier to mine it?
I'm certain you've never seen what it takes to recycle a petrol vehicle it is the dirtiest thing ever and that doesn't even take into account the pollutants the car spewed through its lifetime.

Have you ever looked inside an engine? That is 0.0001% of the filth that went into the air.
Old 03-16-24 | 02:52 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You have a 12 year old Prius....how many times have you needed to replace the battery? Its the same technology as what you have in your own cars.

You realize that FB ads are dynamic right? They are showing you ads for EVs because the algorithm has reason to believe you are interested in EVs. FB doesn't show me any EV ads, ever.

So you are reading stuff or searching or clicking on those ads and thats why its showing you EV ads.

In any event, its a growth segment and its advertising.
That's true. He must be searching EV related posts, or it's picking up his posting here in the EV forum. Time for an ad blocker?
Old 03-16-24 | 03:06 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Why would you worry about charging your PHEV or consider driving something else? That negates the whole purpose of a PHEV
because bayeauxlex hugely prefers driving in ev mode and not with gas.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I’m currently charging at church and a guy working on the building told another guy “wth is this” while pointing at my charger. Other guy said that’s the future. Guy responded “no the he!! It’s not. I’ll be dead and gone before you catch me in an electric car.”
at church the guy says what the hell and no the hell not. must be very devout.

In 2022, the amount of lithium mined was 130,000 tons, and that will rise significantly over the years.
You saying any recycling done will even come close to that? Especially since we're assuming the batteries today will last at least 10 years?
in 2022, the amount of oil brought out of the ground was 4.39 billion metric tons. how much of that was 'recycled'?

source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-metric-tons/
The following users liked this post:
BayeauxLex (03-16-24)
Old 03-16-24 | 03:17 PM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
in 2022, the amount of oil brought out of the ground was 4.39 billion metric tons. how much of that was 'recycled'?

source: https://www.statista.com/statistics/...n-metric-tons/
That is straight up disturbing.
Old 03-16-24 | 03:27 PM
asj2024
Advanced

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Red herring. You do know that has nothing to do with the original point in question right?

In the analysis, the author pointed out he did not factor in recycling of batteries because it will be negligible in the next decade relative to mining output. As far as I can see, he was correct in leaving out that factor in the analysis for now.
Old 03-16-24 | 03:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
That's true. He must be searching EV related posts, or it's picking up his posting here in the EV forum. Time for an ad blocker?
I have one. It isn't advertisements, it's stuff like this:

It just doesn't stop, positive or not so positive. No, I don't read many EV articles nor search for them.

Last edited by AJT123; 03-16-24 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-16-24 | 04:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It just doesn't stop, positive or not so positive. No, I don't read many EV articles nor search for them.

This makes perfect sense. These are anti-EV articles, it is watching you read anti-EV articles so its showing you the articles it thinks you want to read. Thats how FB advertising works. Yes those outlets pay FB to put their content in front of you...I know because I pay FB to do the same thing.

Nothing like that shows up in my FB feed at all.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-16-24 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Removed giant quoted images
The following 2 users liked this post by SW17LS:
bitkahuna (03-16-24), bowser (03-16-24)
Old 03-16-24 | 04:11 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

This makes perfect sense. These are anti-EV articles, it is watching you read anti-EV articles so its showing you the articles it thinks you want to read. Thats how FB advertising works. Yes those outlets pay FB to put their content in front of you...I know because I pay FB to do the same thing.

Nothing like that shows up in my FB feed at all.
For the second time, I do not read these articles... not on Facebook nor off. No reason for my FB to be that heavy with it all.

Maybe it knows I talk about them on forums?? Who the hell knows.
Old 03-16-24 | 04:11 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I rarely log into my FB account, but when I do I don't see even one car related post or news feed. I do in my Google news feed, but that's because I read EV related stuff. Use the ignore button or post a thumbs down. Or maybe don't give Zuckerberg all your info for free, which is essentially what you are doing by having a FB account

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-16-24 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Removed giant quotes images
Old 03-16-24 | 04:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For the second time, I do not read these articles... not on Facebook nor off. No reason for my FB to be that heavy with it all.

Maybe it knows I talk about them on forums?? Who the hell knows.
I guarantee you read car articles online and it watches what articles you consume and it chooses what to show you. Thats how Facebook works.
AMIRZA786 (03-16-24)
Old 03-16-24 | 04:18 PM
AMIRZA786
Lexus Champion

I guarantee you read car articles online and it watches what articles you consume and it chooses what to show you. Thats how Facebook works.
^^This is the only possible answer^^ Which is why I never installed the FB app on my phone...it has access to all your browsing and apps and other online activities and is constantly collecting your data
Old 03-16-24 | 04:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats the whole reason why FB exists...thats why its free yet is one of the most valuable companies on earth.
AMIRZA786 (03-16-24)
Old 03-16-24 | 04:26 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I love it when people tell me what I do and don't do.

I read road tests of vehicles that I like (not from FB usually)... not online journal blurbs. Of course it affects it but what I'm telling you is that I don't read any EV articles, good or bad. I mean, it's happened before.. But once in a blue moon. Like I said I think it's too heavy.

Quick Reply: The greenest and most efficient car in the USA is NOT an EV